Viper ACR Sets Blistering 'Ring Time (UPDATE: 7:01.3)

I believe they've said they made a few changes to the car on Rennlist, but nothing an owner can't do themselves. They spent a week just getting the car setup before the first run and claim its got more in the tank.

I believe they've said they made a few changes to the car on Rennlist, but nothing an owner can't do themselves. They spent a week just getting the car setup before the first run and claim its got more in the tank.

Weird. Everything I saw said the car was complete stock, Kumho even gave them a set of OEM tires to use too. If the car was modified it'd make it a little less impressive.

Weird. Everything I saw said the car was complete stock, Kumho even gave them a set of OEM tires to use too. If the car was modified it'd make it a little less impressive.
It is. By changes, they've been playing with the suspension over and over and over looking for the best setup.

Unfortunately, I just read they won't be breaking the record on this trip and will try again in August if they can raise another $50,000. Looks like a lot of it is down to the 2 drivers having other commitments and the car running into a small issue when it was taking longer than 8 minutes to return.

I am not sure why but the car looks a little different than stock. Unless the wing comes stock?? Whatever the case that is a beautiful car and it is sad to see it go, however I will never see out the window of those cars since I am a broke ass gamer that only wishes!!

Also, if the Viper Owners Association would be so kind as to share the setup to the GTS forums that would be cool! I would dream of driving it for real as i drive it in the game!

I know right, it's as if Chrysler/SRT had not fully appreciated just how expensive the Racing and super car world has gotten before they rolled this out. Bah! Not a year goes buy since 2014 do I wish to see them competing again.

I wish they would have put active wings on the car like million dollar exotics, so people would stop calling this a race car as if it's different.

I also wish they wouldn't stop making this beautiful machine.
Factory closes soon. :(

I am not sure why but the car looks a little different than stock. Unless the wing comes stock?? Whatever the case that is a beautiful car and it is sad to see it go, however I will never see out the window of those cars since I am a broke ass gamer that only wishes!!

Yup, the wing is stock. Dodge built it as a track toy.

Video courtesy of FoxProFilms.

That V10 sounds magical. I saw some sections where they definitely gave up some time (with all my virtual experience lol), so hopefully they raise more money like @McLaren mentioned.

I wish more high-end sport cars and supercars would feature a manual gearbox.

Here is a quick video of Chris Harris testing it:

While doing research for this article I think one thing became pretty clear. Do not fit Kumho Ecsta V720 tires to the left front corner of your Viper.

I'd love to see what the Viper could do with proper backing and a proper set of tires. Such a shame we're losing this marvelous car.

I still have a hard time believing in those lambo lap times at the ring. Lambo's are fast but they've never been known for handling, and they're heavy as hell. Yet they're beating hypercar laptimes. Doesn't seem right.

The team hoped it could continue the runs and eventually break into the sub-seven second barrier. However, a series of misfortunes quickly dashed its hopes.

Lofty goals.

I still have a hard time believing in those lambo lap times at the ring. Lambo's are fast but they've never been known for handling, and they're heavy as hell. Yet they're beating hypercar laptimes. Doesn't seem right.

Aside from the fact that Nürb is a pretty high average speed circuit despite all the corners the thing that the Lamborghinis have, the Performante in particular, is aero.

That and as of late they've actually been quite acclaimed for their handling, again the Huracan in particular.

He was having a little trouble after 2 min. Around 2:48 he misses a shift (he did a few others before that), and check out that steering wheel action from 2:30 to 2:40. The thing is a beast.

He was having a little trouble after 2 min. Around 2:48 he misses a shift (he did a few others before that), and check out that steering wheel action from 2:30 to 2:40. The thing is a beast.

Yeah, I could see the driver getting an extra +1% out of the car, but not much more. Fantastic effort, tonnes of commitment and trust in the car.

I wish they would have put active wings on the car

Agreed, could have knocked a few more seconds off the lap time.

Aside from the fact that Nürb is a pretty high average speed circuit despite all the corners the thing that the Lamborghinis have, the Performante in particular, is aero.

That and as of late they've actually been quite acclaimed for their handling, again the Huracan in particular.
But is there a shred of evidence it happened?
From what I recall reading, there isn't.
I guess at best we could call it "odd", since pretty much every other lap time that is discussed has more information and isn't widely regarded as a hoax.

Yes, there is. Lamborghini brought forth the data from the car to Jalopnik or some other auto reviewer. In addition, a VBOX company went through the onboard video and concluded the time was ideal compared to their Nurburgring data, only adding they wished Lamborghini used their VBOX for even better accuracy as a joke.

There's a video of the Huracan actually lapping the track:

So unless Lamborghini faked the entire thing, it isn't a hoax.

Yes, there is. Lamborghini brought forth the data from the car to Jalopnik or some other auto reviewer. In addition, a VBOX company went through the onboard video and concluded the time was ideal compared to their Nurburgring data, only adding they wished Lamborghini used their VBOX for even better accuracy as a joke.
So it was all done discreetly?
Afterwards Lamborghini simply posted telemetry?

None of which proves validity of any kind?

By an Italian manufacture with a reputation for hyperbole?

Just want to get the facts straight.

Edit: ok there is a video.

So why are people questioning it's validity?

So it was all done discreetly?
Afterwards Lamborghini simply posted telemetry?

None of which proves validity of any kind?

By an Italian manufacture with a reputation for hyperbole?

Just want to get the facts straight.

Edit: ok there is a video.

So why are people questioning it's validity?
TMK, it all started from some YouTube video of a guy comparing the time to the 918's video and how times/speeds didn't match up to certain sections of the track; that Lambo sped their video up. It came off a bit biased and some of his claims didn't match what he was saying, according to those went in-depth. At one point, someone with knowledge of the 918 theorized that the battery pack could've been draining leaving performance lost on the table.

Either way, RaceLogic came to the conclusion the video was not sped up & the info shown matched what they expected to.
RaceLogic
Real or Fake? There is some controversy brewing over the recent video posted by Lamborghini showing a 2017 Huracan Performante clocking a 6m52s lap of the ring. This piqued our interest, so here is our (somewhat geeky) analysis:

The distance between the gantry and bridge is 1727m which was calculated in Circuit Tools using some customer VBOX data. This was then confirmed using the measuring tool in Google Earth. We then integrated the speed from the on-screen telemetry data on the Lambo every second using the built-in video time-stamps to obtain distance travelled. This data was obtained by stepping through the video in a video editor and entering the displayed speed every second into Excel. When integrated, the telemetry data made it 1728m from gantry to bridge, so the reported speeds and times between these two points on the circuits matched the real world distance precisely. This means that the speeds on the videos seem entirely realistic.

We then analysed the engine sound (using an FFT analysis) from the Huracan at top speed on the same straight, which showed a maximum of just under 7750 rpm on the rev counter. This analysis showed a strong peak at 640Hz which equates to 7680rpm for a V10. Therefore our opinion, based on both pieces of evidence, is that the video has not been speeded up. Next time, it would be a lot easier if they used a VBOX Video

Couple their statement with this tidbit not shared. The 918 video used in the comparison used a VBOX from Race Logic as well.
One of the recent laps of the Nordschleife in the new Porsche 918 Spyder - Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb driving here. Video and data recording with a Racelogic Video VBOX - see www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk

Basically leaving us with a comparison of data pulled from a RaceLogic VBOX against data pulled from Lamborghini's VBOX, thaaaat ended up being supported as authentic by RaceLogic. Marco Mapelli talked in an article about how he achieved the time as well which gave some more insight.

TMK, it all started from some YouTube video of a guy comparing the time to the 918's video and how times/speeds didn't match up to certain sections of the track; that Lambo sped their video up. It came off a bit biased and some of his claims didn't match what he was saying, according to those went in-depth. At one point, someone with knowledge of the 918 theorized that the battery pack could've been draining leaving performance lost on the table.

Either way, RaceLogic came to the conclusion the video was not sped up & the info shown matched what they expected to.

Couple their statement with this tidbit not shared. The 918 video used in the comparison used a VBOX from Race Logic as well.

Basically leaving us with a comparison of data pulled from a RaceLogic VBOX against data pulled from Lamborghini's VBOX, thaaaat ended up being supported as authentic by RaceLogic. Marco Mapelli talked in an article about how he achieved the time as well which gave some more insight.
It's certainly not an impossible time, and I love Lambo's, so I am happy to take it as legitimate. :)

I also think the Viper could run a 6:55, so between flappy paddles and AWD I can't say it's shabby to be potentially only 3 seconds behind.

"When" the Viper returns with paddles and the engine in the back.... (I can dream)....

Back