Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,585 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the new non-existent layout proposed? Yeah, that's terrible.


If you mean the layout that was the venue for my favourite race ever?




NO!


That reminds me of this last year, still get the odd tear through it specially the part involving Peter Brock, And I'm a Mad ford fan



And this from 1994, D1 Australian Championships anyone?



Some kerb hopping for MrMel,

 
Last edited:
That 50th anniversary tribute was fantastic, the best intro to Bathurst I've ever seen.
The closing credits were also great!

 
Who'd-a-thunk Mark Larkham was internet savvy. I just assumed he was one of those typical dad's who couldn't even turn a computer on.
 
That 50th anniversary tribute was fantastic, the best intro to Bathurst I've ever seen.
The closing credits were also great!



50 years brought us to the race finish at Bathurst last year, Why do we need the change?

But it is interesting to see how a race track evolves over time with safety upgrades, The chase, pit lane etc, I've been to Bathurst twice for V8's and twice for the 24hr, Its possibly the most magical place in Australian motorsports, And I have been to most tracks excluding Hidden Valley and Simmon's plains,
 
That had nothing to do with it. The "blue car policy" never existed. Ford encouraged teams to avoid using red when and where possible and to use blue if they could, but they never tried to force teams to stop using red and start using blue.

Ford cut funding to Triple Eight because they felt that Triple Eight were strong enough to survive on their own. Likewise Dick Johnson Racing the oldest team in the country. Ford thought that if they cut the funding to the teams that could survive without it and redirect that funding to the Ford teams that needed it - Stone Brothers and FPR - they could have more competitive cars on the grid that way. What they didn't realise is that teams like Triple Eight would take the loss of manufacturer backing very poorly.

I've never been able to work out where all this talk of a strictly-enforced "blue car policy" came from, but I suspect that it was started by Triple Eight in an attempt to discredit Ford. Things got really, really bitchy when they lost the funding, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it to make it look like Ford were throwing away a championship-winning team over something as specious as the colour of their cars.

The Blue Car Policy originated from Ford themselves. Marin Burela (Ford boss of the time) sent an email to his team advising 888 had not honoured the blue policy of the contract and that email was leaked to the public.

Here is a copy of the email leaked:

"Employee Announcement

July 30 2009

Team,

I thought it was important that you should hear directly from me about yesterday's announcement that the Triple 8 race team and its drivers, including Craig Lowndes, will be racing Commodores next year. There is a lot of speculation and some negative commentary around about the decision so I’m giving you the facts.

Firstly, we spent a considerable amount of money sponsoring Triple 8 for a number of years. We honoured every single aspect of our sponsorship arrangement with them and in return, we asked for one thing – that they respect our brand by painting their cars blue. This wasn’t just a simple request, it was written into their contracts every single year – and each year Triple 8 chose to defy that contractual obligation and paint their cars red. That may seem relatively minor but it’s not. We’re running a business here and investing significant sums of money in supporting motorsport. If someone continues to take large sums of money from us every year while continuing to blatantly defy the obligations they’ve agreed to in order to obtain that money, then we have no choice but to end that arrangement.

Make no mistake – Triple 8 was given every opportunity to live up to the contractual arrangements they agreed to. Eventually we said enough – as any responsible company would do. I make no apologies for doing that. It’s not just about the cars being painted blue, it’s about whether or not we have an open and trusting relationship with an organisation that significantly benefits from their involvement with us. That wasn’t there and, in the market environment we’ve been facing over the last few years, we simply cannot afford to continue giving money to a team that does not respect our brand.

Secondly, we are hugely disappointed that Craig Lowndes will be returning to Holden at the end of this year. We’re disappointed because he’s a great talent and we’re disappointed because we have gone out of our way to welcome Craig into the Ford family since he moved to us in 2001. We’re also disappointed because we found out this was happening on Tuesday evening. Our sponsorship of Craig has hugely benefited him financially since 2001 and I have yet to receive a phone call from Craig himself telling me of his decision to re-sign with Triple 8 and subsequently return to Holden. We had every intention of continuing our relationship with Craig into next year but this is now not possible.

We continue to support motorsport in Australia through our direct sponsorship of FPR and SBR and we also continue to provide significant in-kind support to other teams such as DJR. Motorsport continues to be a useful tool for us to communicate our brand promise to our customers. You can rest assured that we will continue to be involved in motorsport in Australia in the future and are completely focused on delivering winning results.

Thanks for your ongoing passion and support.


Marin"
 
Great videos! Heres a great one of Larry sideways!

 
it makes me wonder why we are changing the Formula,
 
Simple: to cut costs and allow smaller teams to be more competitive.
 
I think the change was timely, Im sick of seeing 888 and FPR dominating. Liked the older years races better.

That said though I wished it remained Holden/Ford only.
 
I think the change was timely, Im sick of seeing 888 and FPR dominating.

I with you on that. 👍 Honestly last year's championship got real boring fast. I mean, where's was fun in watching a race, when you could safely predict the result before the race actually started?
 
Last edited:
That said though I wished it remained Holden/Ford only.
Why? The series out-grew the Ford vs. Holden rivalry years ago, and both manufacturers are rapidly losing market share. There's been speculation that both companies will end production of the Falcon and Commodore in the next few years because they're just not selling enough to justify continuing with production.
 
Simple: to cut costs and allow smaller teams to be more competitive.

I agree with changing everything to cut costs and emphasize saving money,

I think the change was timely, Im sick of seeing 888 and FPR dominating. Liked the older years races better.

That said though I wished it remained Holden/Ford only.

yes agreed, the fact DJR won the 2010 championship was basically because triple 8 and FPR lost it,

I with you on that. 👍 Honestly last year's championship got real boring fast. I mean, where's was fun in watching a race, when you could safely predict the result before the race actually started?

once again agreed, Hence why I almost converted to NASCAR, But I will never ever miss Bathurst, that race has far to many variables over 1000KM, I just wish Tim Shenken or who ever he is would stop trying to rig it,

Why? The series out-grew the Ford vs. Holden rivalry years ago, and both manufacturers are rapidly losing market share. There's been speculation that both companies will end production of the Falcon and Commodore in the next few years because they're just not selling enough to justify continuing with production.

Sales haven't slumped as much as everyone thinks, And with genuine pie eating V8 loving Australian's the Ford V Holden rivalry is growing strong, I could single handedly grow the sales of both cars if I was prime minister, Its all the boat people that are buying the Great wall car's junk,
 
I guess I actually like the Holden/Ford battle and only ones in the field but I'm not against new cars coming in either.
 
I guess I actually like the Holden/Ford battle and only ones in the field but I'm not against new cars coming in either.

In the off-chance the Mercedes and Nissan can compete with FPR & 888, it'll be a breath of fresh air.

But, I am already tired of the changing schedule. I still like seeing the cars bouncing around on curbs in whatever city they darn well feel like. If it's not broken, FPR, or 888, why fix it?
 
The cars will still look and sound the same, be cheaper to build, and allow manufacturers to come and go without no real big money needed at all. I see it as a win win. NASCAR has used this formula for a long time and made it work. V8s are just doing it their way
 
The cars will still look and sound the same, be cheaper to build, and allow manufacturers to come and go without no real big money needed at all. I see it as a win win. NASCAR has used this formula for a long time and made it work. V8s are just doing it their way

My complaints all boil down to the consideration of the removal of Gold Coast. :grumpy: I approve of the NGV8s, I don't approve of the removal of one of my favourite tracks ever.

Even contemplating it, it's disheartening.
 
Last edited:
If the event isn't profitable, especially in comparison to the Townsville and Ipswich rounds, then why is it in the interests of the government - which repeatedly complains that it is broke - to continue supporting the race?
 
If the event isn't profitable, especially in comparison to the Townsville and Ipswich rounds, then why is it in the interests of the government - which repeatedly complains that it is broke - to continue supporting the race?

Because tourism to Gold Coast. That's why. Tourism money is huge there, even before the V8s go there, right?
 
Tourism is the lifeblood of the Gold Coast, therefore the cost of having the V8's there must be exceedingly high ( That been said the cost of using the old layout would be astronomical). The event that should be cut is the Ipswich 300, reason been that both the state and local governments have been the main sponsors of the event for the last few years and with that bear most of that events cost.
 
Just had a chat with Craig Lowndes he said the car this time is going to be more blue than red but Holden don't care as long as they win :lol:
 
Because tourism to Gold Coast. That's why. Tourism money is huge there, even before the V8s go there, right?
Except if the V8s aren't contributing to tourism dollars relative to what the event is costing, then there is no sense in supporting the event.
 
Just had a chat with Craig Lowndes he said the car this time is going to be more blue than red but Holden don't care as long as they win :lol:

:lol: I guess thats the difference between Ford and Holden!
 
:lol: I guess thats the difference between Ford and Holden!

Yep :lol: was chatting to one of his crew members after who asked if I had followed Craig long and I replied only since he got a proper car, it looked like I has shot his dog...... Turns out he's a ford man :lol:

F7E7215B-500E-455C-974C-D051F95A053A-1479-0000017EE85933AD.jpg

EE21692B-9636-4AA1-84F4-5F37683C3B95-1479-0000017EEF96B985.jpg

4FFCD08A-D9B6-4BE5-842F-0ECB453EA01E-1479-0000017EF50D9BD2.jpg


Oh and I won the whiskey!
56F14790-65C6-4589-A24F-002E024AEFA1-1479-0000017E4DA7B36A.jpg
 
Yep :lol: was chatting to one of his crew members after who asked if I had followed Craig long and I replied only since he got a proper car, it looked like I has shot his dog...... Turns out he's a ford man :lol:

:lol:

Make sure to share the whiskey with Dion, he'll enjoy it.
 
Dion drinks rum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back