Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,431 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
There any pictures of the new Mercedes E63 V8 Supercar? Intrigued to see what it looks like.

Ask and you shall receive :D

879994.jpg
 
Ask and you shall receive :D
Oh, dear. That rear wing is ghastly.

Perhaps the only way to save it is to model the livery on the SONAX design the Mercedes DTM cars used about twenty years ago:

vln09_03_0122_mercedes_190_evo2_boss_sonax_tourenwagen_revival.jpg
 
The rear wing dosent gel with the design of the E63. But man that is a nice spy shot.

And Im so happy to hear Murph has a good enduro seat.
 
Oh snap.

Loving it except for the wing, as already stated.
 
the mercedes definitely would be better with a more upright wing or a wing that the holden had last season
 
The Merc looks pretty darn good, pity about the rear wing though.

Do we know the endurance drivers for the other teams?

Not yet.
 
Looks similar in some ways to the V8 Superstars C-Class
superstars.jpg


I'm more interested to see the VF Commadore, especially in Red Bull colours.

Edit: Maro Engel is driving for Erebus next year http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105460
I expect him and Premat to get on well in the new cars.
 
Last edited:
That's an unusual choice. I was sure they'd opt for Klein.
 
V8 Supercars has been implicated in the Eddie Obeid corruption case:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-corruption-case/story-e6frg6n6-1226572153980

For our international guests, Eddie Obeid is a former state government minister, and was once one of the most powerful figures on the Australian political scene - he is widely believed to be one of the powers behind the throne and could make or break a politician's career. The New South Wales government went through about four premiers in three years, and it is suspected that Obeid had a hand in pulling them down.

Right now, Obeid stands accused of corrupting former state politician Ian MacDonald by arranging for a coal exploration grant in the Bylong Valley to be rezoned so as to include the Obeid family farm and two other properties they were in the process of acquiring. They would then be able to sell those properties to the successful tenderer for the grant for up to $100 million. In the past two days, the Independent Commission Against Corruption (the ICAC) has heard that Obeid engaged in a criminal conspiracy to defraud the people of New South Wales, which is a pretty serious charge - but this is the single biggest corruption case in recent memory, if not Australian history; the closest thing to it was the Joh Bjelke-Petersen case and the Fitzgerald Inquiry into corruption in the Queensland state police service.

Anyway, V8 Supercars has been implicated in the case today after the crown prosecutor asked Obeid to explain a series of handwritten notes seized as part of the investigation into the Obeid family's business dealings, which the prosecution claims is a list of bribes. According to the article I linked to above, the following is included in them:
Counsel Assisting Geoffrey Watson also pointed out handwritten notes which suggested $30,000 was "already taken" over V8 Supercars and $25,000 "already taken" for arranging a V8 Supercar race in Abu Dhabi might have been payments to Mr. Macdonald.
The ICAC is also looking at the Sydney 500 event:
On the stand today, Mr Jones also admitted he was made a consultant on a project to run the V8 Supercars at Homebush when Mr Macdonald was in parliament.

But when he was questioned about his own hand written financial records, Mr Jones could not explain where $55,000 in payments from the Supercar project had gone.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-...inister-offered-millions-in-kickbacks/4506182
 
FPR racers should be unveiled shortly. :)
 
That's an unusual choice. I was sure they'd opt for Klein.

Not really. Not to me. I have just been reading that he has experience with Erebus Motorsport. He won for them at Philip Island last year. Must be worth something.
 
I just realized, with SBR gone there are only 6 (if DJR car make it) Fords on the grid in 2013!?
Oh good lord. 6 Fords, 4 Nissans, 3 Mercedes and about 17 Holdens. Seems kind of wrong that there are so many Holdens.
 
First shots of the Pepsi Max FPR cars:

549271_534916606528996_1120753221_n.jpg


2013_FPR_news_launch_images_018.jpg


BCfPkJhCQAANNJA.jpg
 
I just realized, with SBR gone there are only 6 (if DJR car make it) Fords on the grid in 2013!?
Oh good lord. 6 Fords, 4 Nissans, 3 Mercedes and about 17 Holdens. Seems kind of wrong that there are so many Holdens.

As it stands theirs 14 Holden's. Tander and Courtney in the RBR Australia, Whincup and Lowndes in the Triple Eight Race Engineering, Bright and Coulthard for BJR, Webb and SVG racing for Tekno Autosport, for GRM is McLaughlin and Premat and one car each for Walkinshaw Racing with Russall Ingal, Biretk running David Wall, Tony D'Alberto for his own tea and Scot Pye will be racing for Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport.

If DJR do extend to two Falcons, yes, it will be six Ford cars. Steve Johnson is the current and sole DJR Falcon driver, Winterbotom and Will Davison for FPR, Alex Davison will be racing for Charlie Schwerkott Raing and David Reynolds for Rod Nash. As it stands it is only five Falcons. Sad.

But theirs only two Altima's as I understand it. One for Todd and the other for Rick Kelly at Nissan Motorsport.


I see Jack Perkins and Greg Ritter has just been added as endurance drivers for Gary Rogers Motorsport to do Sandown and Bathurst. Don't know about Clipsal 500; whether that is one of the endurance races or not.
 
Last edited:
More FPR!

2013_FPR_news_launch_images_018.jpg


2013_FPR_news_launch_images_003.jpg


2013_FPR_news_launch_images_029.jpg


It's an interessting concept; I love the idea of complimentary asymmetrical liveries. But I think they might have taken it a little bit too far, with so many bright colours. And the level of fine detail on Davison's car is insane. I have a feeling that his is going to look better standing still than it will when it is moving.
 
I believe that both cars are identical just swapped. I like it more than I don't but I'll have to see them infront of the triple 8 cars to really soak it in haha
 
I believe that both cars are identical just swapped.
Maybe. I can't find any photos of the right-hand side.

And the liveries were pitches as Davison driving "Fire" and Winterbottom driving "Ice".
 
A lot of the reactions I've seen are either a case of totally loving it, or totally hating it. There's no middle ground.

As for my ownself, I'm pretty sure it cured my colour-blindness.
 
I think it could be made into a good livery, but the Castrol, chrome lipped rims and fussy, over-done sponsorship ruin it for me.
Prefer the Holden Pepsi Max liveries MUCH better.
As it stands theirs 14 Holden's. Tander and Courtney in the RBR Australia, Biretk running David Wall,

But theirs only two Altima's as I understand it. One for Todd and the other for Rick Kelly at Nissan Motorsport.
Tander and Courtney are with HRT, Wall is with BJR sponsored by Wilson Security.
There will be 4 Altimas, 2 for Rick and Todd and another two yet un-announced (Kellys purchased 2 more REC's from Perkins), but Moffat and Caruso are linked there.
 
Tander and Courtney are with HRT, Wall is with BJR sponsored by Wilson Security.
There will be 4 Altimas, 2 for Rick and Todd and another two yet un-announced (Kellys purchased 2 more REC's from Perkins), but Moffat and Caruso are linked there.

I thought HRT was Red Bull Racing Australia. Reb Bull Racing Australis is just the banner name for Holden Racing Team.

I also thought as Britek was a satellite team of BJR, although they get help from Brad Jones they (Britek) will be running as Britek Motorsport. Same as Pirtek Racing in the BTCC. They are the satellite team of Honda Yuasa so although they get help from Honda they run as Pirtek Racing.
 
I thought HRT was Red Bull Racing Australia. Reb Bull Racing Australis is just the banner name for Holden Racing Team.

I also thought as Britek was a satellite team of BJR, although they get help from Brad Jones they (Britek) will be running as Britek Motorsport. Same as Pirtek Racing in the BTCC. They are the satellite team of Honda Yuasa so although they get help from Honda they run as Pirtek Racing.

Red Bull Australia is sponsoring Triple Eight Race Engineering. The Holden Racing Team has it's own sponsors.

Britek is long gone, they wound up at the end of 2009. They were a customer team to SBR back then.

Wall is under Brad Jones Racing's 3 car team under their full support.

Bright joined Brad Jones Racing in 2010, Coulthard and Wall in 2012.
 
I like the new Pepsi Max livery! It still is off the wall but not as crazy as Murphy's.
 
@iJasonBright: I remember when Ford were pulling sponsorship because their cars HAD to be blue. At least the wheels are on the Factory Teams cars are blue.

:lol:
 
Looks pretty nice to me, just the right amount of "in your face".
 
Looks pretty nice to me, just the right amount of "in your face".

What's funny is the first pictures that came out with the Castrol made me wonder because of how bad it stuck out at first. Now I hardly notice it with the rest of the scheme looking good.
 
The FPR liverys are complete overkill, but that's probably the reason I'm liking them so much. :lol:

I thought HRT was Red Bull Racing Australia. Reb Bull Racing Australis is just the banner name for Holden Racing Team.

Red Bull is the banner name for Triple 8. They took over as naming right sponsors following Vodafone's departure from the sport.

I see Jack Perkins and Greg Ritter has just been added as endurance drivers for Gary Rogers Motorsport to do Sandown and Bathurst. Don't know about Clipsal 500; whether that is one of the endurance races or not.

No it isn't, Sandown and Bathurst are the only endurance races on the calendar. 👍
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back