Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,671 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not just you. They both sound completely different to me.

They probably are, testing out exhaust or fuel injection settings,

Changing the subject ever-so-slightly, the Dunlop Series grid is looking pretty good this year. Hopefully Stoner's presence will give the series a bit more coverage, and we'll get to see some more good racing.

Well, the Dunlop series and the utes too weren't suppose to get so serious, as v8's were growing in popularity and money they implemented the 2 series to allow for similar racing on a budget, both somehow have almost outgrown their roots,

Which could possibly be a bad thing getting stoner involved.
 
Last edited:
Personally, I think the utes are horrible. When Cameron McConville is the dominant force in the series, you know it's a waste of time.

As for the Dunlop Series, I don't think it has out-grown its intended purpose. It's not threatening to overshadow the V8 Supercars, and looking at the grid, there's a whole host of talented young drivers - Alajajian, Mostert, Lindbom, Hunter, Heimgartner, Piter and so on - who should make the series interesting. And with the Car of the Future halving costs in the V8 Supercars, hopefully those drivers who perform this year will be able to cut it in V8 Supercars next year. You could probably get rid of Alex Davison, Todd Kelly, Jason Bright, David Wall and Dean Fiore - and Ingall is retiring at the end of the year - and replace them with those Dunlop drivers to get a really strong grid..
 
Personally, I think the utes are horrible. When Cameron McConville is the dominant force in the series, you know it's a waste of time.

As for the Dunlop Series, I don't think it has out-grown its intended purpose. It's not threatening to overshadow the V8 Supercars, and looking at the grid, there's a whole host of talented young drivers - Alajajian, Mostert, Lindbom, Hunter, Heimgartner, Piter and so on - who should make the series interesting. And with the Car of the Future halving costs in the V8 Supercars, hopefully those drivers who perform this year will be able to cut it in V8 Supercars next year. You could probably get rid of Alex Davison, Todd Kelly, Jason Bright, David Wall and Dean Fiore - and Ingall is retiring at the end of the year - and replace them with those Dunlop drivers to get a really strong grid..

well the ute's were never intended to have "professional drivers" in the field, same with the Dunlop series, It will never be bigger then the official series, but the cash required to be competitive has gone up by nearly 300% in 4 years, thus making it almost out of reach for those intended,
 
But the nature of the Dunlop Series has changed. It was originally intended for gentlemen drivers who purchased V8 Supercars once the V8 teams were done with them. It has now become a proving ground for young talent, with the Kumho Tyres Series replacing it as the "gentleman driver" category.
 
But the nature of the Dunlop Series has changed. It was originally intended for gentlemen drivers who purchased V8 Supercars once the V8 teams were done with them. It has now become a proving ground for young talent, with the Kumho Tyres Series replacing it as the "gentleman driver" category.

Indeed, the Dunlop series has been a development series for years, and should stay that way.
The Kumho series (and others on the Shannon's circuit) are gentlemen/amateur racing series. I do hope that they expand coverage on the Shannon's leagues though, they do provide some good racing.
 
exactly, But the budget to run either category in the category and be almost competitive is astronomical, and now everyone is required to have the last model car,

Honestly, I have no idea why they try do it this way, not one person who has raced/ won the development series has really gone on to do great things in V8's, and I think only Mark Winterbottom is the only one who is still full time from the development series graduates,
from the top of my head, the list of graduates are,
Mark Winterbottom,
David Besnard,
Dean Canto,
Luke Youlden,
Michael Caruso,
Shane Price,
Jack Perkins,

All the successful people came straight from Formula Ford,
Craig Lowndes,
Jamie Whincup,
Garth Tander,
Rick Kelly,
Mark Skaife,
Jason Bargwanna,
Russel Ingall,
Marcos Ambrose,
Greg Murphy,

I believe that James Courtney is the only current full time driver to have driven an F1 car, apart from the odd endurance partner, Ryan Briscoe and Christian Klien,

Even Cameron Mclean and Brad Jones didn't really scratch the surface of V8SC and they came from a super tourer type background,
 
I remember this, but I cant find the clip with the first minute on it, but its still funny, I think race cam needs to come back,
 
They never got rid of it.

He may be referring to the commentators talking to the drivers during the race.
They stopped doing this under green, I'm not sure if they still actually do it though.
 
He may be referring to the commentators talking to the drivers during the race.
They stopped doing this under green, I'm not sure if they still actually do it though.


Well they still talk to the driver after a shoot out lap at Bathurst ( even though most of the time it doesn't work) other than that I'm not too sure
 
Yes, they do do it during cool-down laps in qualifying. But they never do it during the races, because it's just too distracting.
 
They never got rid of it.

The mid race interview during the race, It was really cool,

He may be referring to the commentators talking to the drivers during the race.
They stopped doing this under green, I'm not sure if they still actually do it though.
 
I like the way the did it in the old days. I remember seeing a video of Brock in a Commodore talking the audience through a lap of bathurst as he was driving.

And I just like the onboards better at that era.
 
Eh I liked the old rule as it brought some interesting co drivers to the sport but it's not the end of the world either.
 
The international co-driver rule was really only there because the Queensland government demanded "star power" from the event if they were going to continue to support it. When they backed CART and the disaster that was A1GP, they were backing international events. They didn't want to trade down to supporting what was effectively just another V8 Supercar round, which forced the sport to introduce the international co-driver rule.
 
I like the way the did it in the old days. I remember seeing a video of Brock in a Commodore talking the audience through a lap of bathurst as he was driving.

And I just like the onboards better at that era.

Peter Williamson in my opinion did it best. (Skip to 1.15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkBzcr6DFs

Also, that engine sound. :drool:

Eh I liked the old rule as it brought some interesting co drivers to the sport but it's not the end of the world either.

Same here, mainly because I liked seeing guys like Mika Salo, Darren Turner, James Hinchcliffe, etc, behind the wheel of a V8. But whatever.
 
Last edited:
Ryan Hinchcliffe?
 
Last edited:
The "international co-driver" rule at the Gold Coast is set to be dropped, with teams entitled to run the same co-drivers at all three events if they so choose:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/02/20/v8-supercars-to-introduce-endurance-cup/

The highest-scoring driver pairing at these events will also receive a brand-new award, the "Endurance Cup".

Interesting. Although, if they're going to do an Endurance cup the least they could do is just run the one race. They should make Phillip Island an endurance event again, that always made for a good race.

If this is the beginning of Gold Coast being dumped on the calendar, I will be a very happy man.
That track is attrocious for a touring car series, it's just not wide enough for the racing style of the V8s.
 
evilserpentman you do realise that Adelaide, Townsville, and Bathurst are just as narrow or narrower.
 
Yeah, but they're not clogged up with chicanes that became largely unnecessary when the circuit was shortened.
 
In my opinion the chicanes are still necessary because car speed has not been reduced in those areas by the shortening of the circuit. However you have got a point about the number of them.
 
evilserpentman you do realise that Adelaide, Townsville, and Bathurst are just as narrow or narrower.

The difference is that those circuits have permanent attachments and are much more flowing than GC.
Adelaide has a better design, Bathurst is a much more technical track all round, and Townsville, whilst I don't care too much for it, it does at least have a more natural circuit feel to it than GC.
 
Last edited:
The Gen 6 NASCAR, however, looks a lot more like it's street-going counterpart than the COT did. Looking at the two series, I'd say its pretty close. V8SC is a bit closer to street, though.



A NASCAR COT (I can't find numbers for a Gen 6) costs about $200,000 USD ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-racing/nascar/nascar-basics/nascar-race-car-cost1.htm ). I'm not sure what the comparative race weekends cost, but I can't imagine one series costing tons more than the other.

If I had to guess at it, I would say that Dodge leaving NASCAR was because of a major downswing in popularity, and Chrysler would want to wait and see if the CotF provides a equal and opposite upswing in popularity before joining in.

I thought it was 300-400k for a sprint cup car, at least that is what I have heard DW say after a major wreck,
"look at that multi-million dollar junk yard" with Jeff or Larry someone else saying since they cost about 300k-400k. So yeah...also I would say dodge left because they may be more focused on their ALMS/LMS efforts with the Viper.
 
Okay, that was cool. 👍

Also just on the Nick Percat to DJR rumours.
Percat remains under contract to Walkinshaw Racing and is expected to drive a Clayton-built Commodore in this year’s three V8 Supercars endurance events.
It is unlikely that he’ll appear in Holden Racing Team red, however, as the team has already locked away Greg Murphy and Ryan Briscoe for its factory entries.

Taken from this article. Nick Percat to make Carrera Cup Switch
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back