- 268

- Melbourne, Australia
- evilserpentman
The Gen 6 NASCAR, however, looks a lot more like it's street-going counterpart than the COT did. Looking at the two series, I'd say its pretty close. V8SC is a bit closer to street, though.
V8SC is much much closer to the street car, it looks like it was based on the car. The Gen 6 is a step in the right direction, but it still looks like a brick, just slightly different dents in the bodywork.
A NASCAR COT (I can't find numbers for a Gen 6) costs about $200,000 USD ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-racing/nascar/nascar-basics/nascar-race-car-cost1.htm ). I'm not sure what the comparative race weekends cost, but I can't imagine one series costing tons more than the other.
NASCAR has much higher costs than that.
Yes, the actual car is around the same (although with carbon fibre and fuel injected engines, prices have surely gone up since that article was written).
You must remember NASCAR teams go through at least 20 cars a year, plus back-ups. In Cup, they have unlimited sets of tyres, and can easily use at least a dozen sets a weekend. They also change engines each week, due to their fragile nature (although they used to have qualifying specials).
On the other hand, some V8SC teams will only run the same car for the year, repairing it if it gets involved in an accident.
The engines are much, much more durable, and the parts much more reliable.
If I had to guess at it, I would say that Dodge leaving NASCAR was because of a major downswing in popularity, and Chrysler would want to wait and see if the CotF provides a equal and opposite upswing in popularity before joining in.
Well, it's ultimately up to FIAT what Dodge and Chrysler do. Dodge were poorly represented and Penske wasn't interesting in being a stand-alone representative. Plus, Dodge weren't wanting to deal with the few teams that were open to a change. They were committed to building the new car, even without obvious backing, so you can almost guarantee they'll be back in the near-future.
Concerning Chrysler, it would have to be for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post, they'll either begin to assault the Australian market, or they'll hope that their involvement exposes the sport to their home market via TV deals.