Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,867 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
What did the Americans think of the V8s?
 
Once again, NISMO are no joke. They'll have no trouble running top 5's when they get more power upgrades. This is good.
 
Is the race live right now? I think it's race 3 and 4 of the weekend..
 
Yes. Winterbottom and Coulthard passed Whincup after he bobbled a turn. And now the two are pulling away.

Unbelievable! That's just unacceptable for FPR. oh well, Frosty did his job. That's all he could do. Damn shame.
 
Last edited:
FPR need to get rid of the powder coated wheels.

Something. SMH

If Fab does get the penalty, at least Whincup doesn't win.

The guy that handed Fab the trophy was Chuck Norris' Pops!
 
Last edited:
Good race, next one should be even better. The curb on the exit of the "national section" is crazy. Is there a chance of them returning next year? Spectator attendance looks decent and everyone that came over really seems to like the circuit and the atmosphere of everything.
 
Good race, next one should be even better. The curb on the exit of the "national section" is crazy. Is there a chance of them returning next year? Spectator attendance looks decent and everyone that came over really seems to like the circuit and the atmosphere of everything.

Based on the way they are pushing personal seats for year and mentioning V8, F1 and MotoGP, I'd say yes.

Attendance is spread out but I'd say roughly 35-40k but numbers are coming out tonight.
 
I know some people in the media are saying that the action has been 'pedestrian' at COTA but I disagree. I have enjoyed this more than any other round recently. There have been plenty of cars fighting throughout the field and while there hasn't been an abundance of overtakes, there seems to be a lot more attempted passes.

As for attendance: there was no target set in stone but 60,000 over the weekend was the unofficial 'successful' number and they reached just shy of 69,000.
 
What did the Americans think of the V8s?

We ****ing love them, I can't wait for them to come back next year!
 
I enjoyed all the races personally, pretty gutsy move by the V8 Supercars to come stateside and hold a race, seems like it was a pretty good success, especially considering their limited exposure within North America.
 
I enjoyed all the races personally, pretty gutsy move by the V8 Supercars to come stateside and hold a race, seems like it was a pretty good success, especially considering their limited exposure within North America.

I wasn't sure of how it would be but the track is a great place with few set backs that kinda make it a bummer. Prices of food was high, only can bring in water and very few places to find to stay out of the sun at any time. They do need some more signs to get to the track and I'm sure few had issues.

Next year I bet changes will be made to races overall, and it was great race overall. Turn 1 was best seat in the house as you can see most of the track. I bet more show up next year too, I heard few Aussies headed to Coke 600 or Indy 500 this week too, so not only did it bring those for one race but a few! They are probably lost pleasant folks I've met too, keep up whatever y'all do down there.
 
First V8 supercars race I have ever watched and I enjoyed it. The racing was good, action happened everywhere, and commercials during the races were limited. Pleased with the V8's and can't wait for them to come back next year.
 
The kerb action was fantastic, only one issue with that layout of COTA, to many corners that do nothing other then make it awkward for driving in the turn, but the short cut section, (touring car breakaway section) the kerbs were great, good to see how the cars worked over them,
 
The kerb action was fantastic, only one issue with that layout of COTA, to many corners that do nothing other then make it awkward for driving in the turn, but the short cut section, (touring car breakaway section) the kerbs were great, good to see how the cars worked over them,

The suspension set up is how I tune my cars for GT. Lots of two wheel action over curbs. The amount of air the cars get at street circuits is crazy. I too enjoyed that hop and slam through the short cut. I love the squat/dive/compression in the corners from all the cars. I stare at the cars the whole race. That's why at times, it doesn't matter to me who's leading the race. I love it!

Side note: I like how Matt White asked Bob Varsha how to help improve V8s at COTA. He said he's no promoter but, V8s should have an American driver in a guest car so the fans in America have someone to root for( Americans that don't know, "root" means something totally different in Australian slang. Haha). Any way, I've always thought V8s should have an extra car or two for guest drivers. Whether it be a Dunlop Series driver, International, local or a V8/Touring Car "legend". It would actually be cool if there were 4 V8 Supercar sponsored cars, 1 from each marque and they started maybe 5 seconds after the main drivers were under way. More interesting in Chrysler jumps on board :)
 
Last edited:
All I can say is I see why this series is so addicting, I always enjoyed it but it's totally different in person.

It's so fan based and everything is around that. Now don't hate me for this as I'm not trying to turn this into NASCAR but I'd be curious to see how they did around an oval.
 
Grayfox
What did the Americans think of the V8s?

Unfortunately, I didn't catch the race :(. But after seeing the cars, and watching some of the famous races online, mostly on YouTube. I freakin' love the V8SCs.

Those cars are just cool all over period! :D:tup:

They should race at Laguna Seca or at Road Atlanta next time.
 
Unfortunately, I didn't catch the race :(. But after seeing the cars, and watching some of the famous races online, mostly on YouTube. I freakin' love the V8SCs.

Those cars are just cool all over period! :D:tup:

They should race at Laguna Seca or at Road Atlanta next time.

Next time being 5 years from now, honestly I don't think either of those tracks would do them correctly. COTA is a perfect track overall for them if they add the whole track, and make it longer distance either over 2 days or something to that nature.

One thing I suggest anyone who goes next year, don't buy T1 or T15 tickets, either go big or do GA as you can sit in those seats with general admission ticket without any issues.

Do all the races usually have posters? Or just we got lucky? For price of the tickets $69, I got a steal on 4 races, paddock access.


Side note, after seeing the Volvo's in World Challenge, I can see how easy the change to V8 would be for them as far as body wise. Out of all the cars, the Nissan looks the best, but I'm still partial to Ford and Holden style.
 
Last edited:
You were able to sit in the T1 and T15 stands with GA? We were told otherwise on Friday as we were pointed away from them.
 
It's cool you guys enjoyed the race in person. Aren't the liveries so much different from looking at photos?

Oh, yeah, and Whincup says maybe next time they'll remove the mufflers :)
 
First V8 supercars race I have ever watched and I enjoyed it. The racing was good, action happened everywhere, and commercials during the races were limited. Pleased with the V8's and can't wait for them to come back next year.
I'm glad you enjoyed our particular brand of racing. While you wait for next year;s race, perhaps I can direct your attention to the official V8 Supercars channel on YouTube? You'll be able to watch full races online and for free.
 
Not live though, gotta pay for that now.
 
You were able to sit in the T1 and T15 stands with GA? We were told otherwise on Friday as we were pointed away from them.

You, I never got questioned any day about a ticket. I sat in T15 during practice Friday, T1 for Saturdays race. Sunday was split between grass at Start/Finish and T1 hill.
 
Omg, epic double post is excused.

I would love it if they were to head to Laguna Seca :D.

Either there or... Infineon, maybe Watkins, Road Atlanta.

I'll stop myself before I get too crazy.

Anyway, I guess I'll type up more later since I just got back and am so tired, but this experience has turned me into a fan, I'm pouring over V8SC history and getting up to speed on this season so I can start to follow the series properly and see how everyone ends up in the end of this very awesome brand of racing.

The action was so close and consistent, these guys are world class, such intense chasing and defending, I loved it. I would like them to be a bit louder, that's all really. So far really liking the way both FPR guys fight, as well as Courtney, Van Gisbergen, Bright, and Coulthard of course. Lowndes was good too, but kind of too all over the place.

As far as the cars themselves go, I found myself liking it a bit more whenever the HRTs would go by for some reason... Really liked the Irwin Merc's too. And the FPRs of course.

Looking forward to next year, a lot of the people at the track's first impressions were over the top, it was a great great showing.
 
Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know what happened; I think I might have lost my internet connection.

If a second race were to go ahead, then I imagine it would be somewhere in California. I don't think the series would be suited to Laguna Seca or Sears Point, though, so I would imagine that we might see them at Long Beach during the Indycar/ALMS event. Although depending on the way the calendar was structured, Barber Motorsport Park wouldn't be out of the question. Especially if it was supporting Indycar. And speaking of Indycar, Belle Isle might be a possibility. Likewise Indianapolis (though not during the Indy 500 weeks), but they all might be a bit too far out.
 
Yeah Cali would be on the way back home if its after COTA. COTA has to think about that date. This will definitely get interesting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back