Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,871 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to buy one when we were there as I didn't have one at all. And a long sleeve shirt, and an umbrella, etc. :p

I was toast after the first day, used a shirt to shade my neck on the 2nd day, and then used the umbrella and long sleeve shirt on the 3rd day. Was forced to wear pants the whole weekend after my legs were burned after day 1. My sun block wasn't strong enough, thankfully Eddie had some SPF 100 which helped but I had to reapply throughout the day.
 
Mercedes, I understand why they aren't going to well. Nissan, I still reckon they could of done better. Sure they Qualify good but do they get in the top 5 during the races? BMW did brilliant in DTM on their 1st year and they even won it, Nissan is a Factory Team just like BMW.
 
Mercedes, I understand why they aren't going to well. Nissan, I still reckon they could of done better. Sure they Qualify good but do they get in the top 5 during the races? BMW did brilliant in DTM on their 1st year and they even won it, Nissan is a Factory Team just like BMW.

Rick Kelly was running as high as 4th at one point. Some of the others even lead the race during pit stops (easy enough to do though...) I just think you're expecting too much from new teams that are coming into a sport that's been run by Holden and Ford for what, 20 years now?

Again, I didn't expect much from them this year at all, including a win. But now with the progress they have made, I wouldn't be surprised if we see at least a Nissan team pick up a victory before the end of the year.
 
Well might because I'm only expecting too much because that when Audi (Le Mans) BMW (DTM) started as a factory team, they had huge success.
 
Well might because I'm only expecting too much because that when Audi (Le Mans) BMW (DTM) started as a factory team, they had huge success.

BMW pulled thier funding from everything to do DTM though.
 
There is a huge difference between a factory backed DTM team or something like that compared to Nissan who is trial and error to find the combo, they could go easy route and buy engines but they want to use their own.

Correct me if I'm wrong but HRT is factory backed and they aren't top Holden nor hardly even 2nd teir.
 
Fixed that for you so it's more accurate :)

Hahaaaaaaaaaa

R1600, nice pic.

HRT are run by TWR(R.I.P.) but yes, they are the "factory" team.
 
Last edited:
Well word is this morning Ford are about to announce they will stop manufacturing cars in Australia. What will this mean for Ford and V8Supercars??
 
Well word is this morning Ford are about to announce they will stop manufacturing cars in Australia. What will this mean for Ford and V8Supercars??

Hope not. If they do stop making them they can still use the Falcons for V8s like Honda did with the NSX for the Super GT (They are using the NSX again for 2014).
 
Hope not. If they do stop making them they can still use the Falcons for V8s like Honda did with the NSX for the Super GT (They are using the NSX again for 2014).

Truuuue. All they have to use is a skin if Ford want to continue racing. Don't know what engine they'd use. But, can't get mad at Ford, I don't know what they're planning. Just too bad they didn't continue selling Falcons in the states from the 60's through today.
 
Well word is this morning Ford are about to announce they will stop manufacturing cars in Australia.

And confirmed . Sadly, I don't think it will be too long before Holden goes the same way. :(
 
I think people are overlooking what's really being said, it doesn't mean they will leave just not made there. Heck the Nissan isn't even made there or offered yet.
 
Then they should make a new Falon here, and export it to Australia. Give them a reason to compete with the Chevy SS.
 
R1600Turbo
Then they should make a new Falon here, and export it to Australia. Give them a reason to compete with the Chevy SS.

I totally agree here. A USDM Falcon would give the SS a run for its money and the Dodge Charger.

It's a shame to hear this type of news about the AUDM Fords :(. Those Falcons are just amazing cars.
 
Ford were clearly making a slow exit from the sport. Cutting off factory support from customer teams was a clear sign they were in trouble. SBR and DJR stayed out of loyalty but that only goes so far.

It's a shame though, because it seems that Holden could be going that same route in the not-to-distant future.
 
Then they should make a new Falon here, and export it to Australia. Give them a reason to compete with the Chevy SS.

I wonder if there will be the Fusion to replace it to keep the most of those more in line wiht each other as far as production cars too. It seems the most logical considering what Holden has done with the SS here.
 
Sad news. I always felt the mustang should have sold here as well. I bet with that line up the falcon would have been relevent enough to have oldiered on.
 
BMW did brilliant in DTM on their 1st year and they even won it, Nissan is a Factory Team just like BMW.
I think it's unreasonable to expect Nissan to be winning in their first season just because another manfacturer did it in another series.
 
I think it's unreasonable to expect Nissan to be winning in their first season just because another manfacturer did it in another series.

Exactly. BMW also had been doing plenty of R&D to prepare for their return.

Nissan on the other hand signed on quite late into proceedings, and had to design a car in a very limited timeframe.
They're going through the same issues as Erebus, however they are better equipped and have more experience under their belt.
 
And DTM is run to totally different reglations compared to V8 Supercars.
 
So do you think the Ford Mondeo/Fusion will be replacing the Falcon in the supercars?
 
Personally, I suspect we'll see Ford withdraw entirely, and their place taken by another manufacturer. Maybe Chrysler or Hyundai.
 
So do you think the Ford Mondeo/Fusion will be replacing the Falcon in the supercars?

No, I believe when the FPR deal ends, the team will dissolve and/or be replaced by another manufacturer. A four car outfit would make a perfect base for a works team in an already difficult series to enter.

Prisonermonkeys is on to something, Chrysler could be next. Hyundai may be an outside chance with the i45. Considering their market strength down here, it's entirely possible they'll enter the series.

Mazda have been talked about, but that's about it.

I'm not sure who else would be interested. Large sedan cars are losing preference down here, and unless people are going to start entering smaller cars (Mazda 6, Mondeo, Camry at a pinch), I don't see too many manufacturers thinking it's a worthwhile excersise.
 
But the Mazda6, Mondeo (Fusion) and Camry are all the same size and competitors to the Altima. If those manufactures were to enter, I would assume they would use those cars.
 
V8s won't be the same without Holden or Ford :( 👎
 
Last edited:
The series has changed so much since it begin 50 years ago. It'll still go on. We'll always have the Touring Car Masters( in my opinion, the best racing in Australia). Make time to see a race if you haven't been.
 
Personally, I suspect we'll see Ford withdraw entirely, and their place taken by another manufacturer. Maybe Chrysler or Hyundai.

Ford may withdraw support but that doesnt mean we still cant have Fords racing ie Erebus > Mercedes.

Ford wouldnt need to chuck in much money anyway, just enough to keep FPR using Fords.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back