Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,314 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
The front bumper of that Ford now resembles NASCAR's COT. Which resembles a V8 Supercar anyway.
 
what was the story behind all those cars crashed at about 41 seconds in?
That was at Lakeside in 1994, a very slow backmarker "Neil Schembri" came along the curve before the start finish line. His engine blew, and he dropped lots and lots of oil. Behind him were the leaders, and as they went around the bend, they slipped as if on ice, and all avoided major damage. All except Wayne of course, he smacked hard against the barrier, and Dick Johnson joined him there aswell, Alan Jones spun also but stayed well out of trouble. Schembri parked his spluttering car along the straight, and the victims of his clumsy driving walked away from their cars seething in anger.
 
Jason Bright , has managed to take sponsor Caterpillar with him as he races for his own Ford team the V8 Season.
:)
 
Alan Gurr has finally left Paul Morris Motorsport and will be in the second Britek car. Irwin Industrial Tools will sponsor the Gurr car.
Mark Larkham and WPS have split. I expect Larkham will turn up in an advisory role at another team.
David Clark's team, Optima Sport, involved in the fatal accident with Mark Porter during the support series race at Bathurst last year, are being forced to sell up due to being unable to find a sponsor for the up-coming season.
John Bowe is taking up a role with the HPM Racing team in the Fujitsu series as technical chief. The team will be sponsored by electrical company HPM and the drivers will be Luke Youlden and Aaron McGill. The team has two AU Falcons, which have proven to be a quick car in the Fujitsu series, and with a big company like HPM as sponsor and Stone Brothers Racing engines they should be a team to watch in the Fujitsu series. Bowe will also be driving for Paul Cruikshank Racing in the V8 Supercar series.
Glenn Seton is looking for an endurance seat for Sandown and Bathurst. The SBR deal was only for one year but Seton is still quick and has ample experience so he shouldn't struggle to find a drive. In the meantime, Seton will drive his Ford Capri in historic touring car races.
Dick Johnson Racing have not announced their 2007 sponsor as yet but their web page looks VERY Jim Beam...
http://www.djr.com.au/Website/2007/Launch.php
V8 Supercars has been in discussion with Perth about a possible street race there in the future. The Sandown race is safe despite the promotion of the race track being taken back by the Melbourne (horse) Racing Club. The current contract with Jon Davison expires in October. Next years Clipsal 500 at Adelaide is safe despite on-going construction work to the nearby Victoria Park horse racing facility. The track may be altered from the back of the pit area and down the pit straight to the Senna Chicane.

Check these videos out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_v48DU1cF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVqOvW_2EI
 
I have got information on what will be the new part of the Adelaide circuit down on the paddock. I think it looks really good, but the smooth flow of some of the corners don't really suit the rest of the circuit.

Linky, linky

When I read Schrodes post I really didn't expect anything this major. I'm also interested if it could give a boost in spectator areas, not that the circuit really needs it though.
 
Jeez Jack, you only just found out about this? I live halfway across the planet, and knew about this a at least 3 weeks ago, lol. :p

I suggest you sign up at ten-Tenths, lol.
 
10 tenths is mostly good but a lot of flame wars and "Holden is better than Ford" neanderthal behavoir.
The revised pit straight migh tmake the chicane a little less spectacular.
 
Jeez Jack, you only just found out about this? I live halfway across the planet, and knew about this a at least 3 weeks ago, lol. :p

I suggest you sign up at ten-Tenths, lol.

I don't really keep informed on V8 Supercars during the offseason, its a bit boring. But I still make up for it, I see the races half a year before you.
 
Haha, touché. The 1000 just aired this past Tuesday here, lol.
 
HSVDT%20Front_800.jpg


This is the new HDT car. I had to get a picture of the wallpaper as the gallery on the HDT website wouldn't load.
 
I saw a drawing of the car in Auto Action. It had the five spoke wheels on in the drawing which looked so much better. And that number 1 on the car just looks so wrong.

The HRT launch was supposed to be this week. Motorsport News said thursday and Auto Action said friday but there is still nothing on the website. Maybe the deal with Glenn Seton fell through...
 
HRT has its launch today at 10:00 EST according to their website
 
Still no HRT news but the official season "launch" was on Sunrise this morning, for about 15 minutes.

Was this at Martin Place? I wish I knew this was on. I only work just around the corner from Martin Place I could have stopped by for a look :guilty:
 
And HRT's new car with Glenn Seton.
 
With Seton now driving for HRT I will finally have to buy a Holden shirt this year... something I have managed to avoid since I started supporting GS back in '87.
 
Was this at Martin Place? I wish I knew this was on. I only work just around the corner from Martin Place I could have stopped by for a look :guilty:

It was at Martin Place. It would have been good to see all the cars there but it was nothing special on TV.

somebody
With Seton now driving for HRT I will finally have to buy a Holden shirt this year... something I have managed to avoid since I started supporting GS back in '87.

I still haven't bought a Lowndes shirt or hat, or keyring, or stubbie holder, or poster...
Can't buy merchandise with that blue oval badge on it.
 
The HRT car looks great. Just two weeks untill Clipsal now, I'm really excited!
 
I'm sorry, but IMHO the new HRT scheme is "bull dog eating custard" ugly (picture it).

The new GRM scheme however, is pure sex!

I lost a lot of respect and support for HRT when Skaife took over, but then again, I have always been more of a privateer supporter...they do it tough (compared to the big teams) and they seem to have a better attitude about the whole thing ("ahhh, we're just here to have fun, who cares who wins, as long as everyone has fun")
 
I swear, if NASCAR and the V8s aren't collaborating....
 
I swear, if NASCAR and the V8s aren't collaborating....
What in particular bought that comment on?
I know some V8 Supercar big wigs have gone to America to visit NASCAR for ideas. SBR spent a week with a Ford NASCAR team a few years ago and Larry Perkins spent some time with whoever the Jack Daniels team is after he picked up JD last year but I doubt NASCAR give two hoots about what V8 Supercars do.
I lost a lot of respect and support for HRT when Skaife took over, but then again, I have always been more of a privateer supporter...they do it tough (compared to the big teams) and they seem to have a better attitude about the whole thing ("ahhh, we're just here to have fun, who cares who wins, as long as everyone has fun")
Apart from maybe WPS or PCR you have to look at the Fujitsu series now to find privateers.

For Lowndes fans:
http://www.ignitionmagazine.com/news.asp?id=5474&type=3
 
These pants make me ashamed to be a HRT fan.

download.php
 
These pants make me ashamed to be a HRT fan.


The Drivers don't worry me too much in those pants, its if I start seeing fans wearing them, then I will start to worry. :sly:





BTW Where do I get them and how much??
 
I've been a bit confused about whats going on for this years qualifying and points system, untill now when I finally found some information. So just incase anyone else is confused about this, I'll post it up. :)

Qualifying Format

Sprint Rounds:
60 minute overall session
The session will take place in the following format:
Part 1: 15 minutes – 31 Cars
5 minute break from last car entering Pit Bay
Part 2: 15 minutes – Top 20 Cars from Part 1
5 minute break from last car entering Pit Bay
Part 3: 15 minutes – Top 10 Cars from Part 2

Endurance Rounds:

Betta Electrical Sandown 500
The Qualifying format at the Endurance Events will be the same as the case in 2006.

Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000
The Qualifying format will be largely similar as outlined above with minor modifications to suit the endurance event format.

Points System
pointssystemki4.png


I nicked this info from a PDF found on the Clipsal 500 website.

The points system is supposed to promote passing, mainly within the top 15 and I certainly don't doubt that, I can't wait! 👍
The qualifying system sounds pretty entertaining, it is much like the qualifying Formula 1 has been using for the past year, though I will miss the Top Ten Shootout. :(
 
I think they should have run the 3rd part of the qualifying as a shootout. Just run them in reverse order from part 1 top ten finishers.
 
It's going to be busy during qualifying if they only have 15 minutes to set a good lap. It might be worth going to the EC and OP rounds on the saturday it they don't clash with Swans games.
I think it is better to leave the shootout for Bathurst. It de-values it if it is used at every round.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5JkiaXGCbo
 
TEGA has suspended HRT and HSVDT from the 2007 championship until they can produce evidence of who actually owns the teams. HRT and HSVDT were owned by TWR when it went broke and both teams were bought by Holden. HRT was then "sold" to Skaife while HSVDT was "sold" to John and Margaret Kelly, the parents of Todd and Rick. This has been going on for so long now TEGA finally has the balls to do something, or is just a publicity stunt a few weeks away from the first round.
How many races and championships have been won illegally by these two teams?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21250530-5001023,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,21254389-23770,00.html?from=public_rss
 
Thats really bad news. I really hope everything works out fine before the Clipsal 500. :nervous:
 
It does appear to be all over after a meeting yesterday between the "owners" and TEGA. There is a rule that says Ford or Holden cannot own a team and that an owner cannot own more than one team. TEGA appears to be happy with the ownership and management arrangements both teams have with Tom Walkinshaw, owner of Walkinshaw Performance who supplies staff and equipment to both teams.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back