Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,666 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/12/25/v8-supertest-schedule-revealed/

V8 SuperTest Schedule

Saturday February 7

Start Activity Duration
9am -12 noon Testing 3 hours
1pm-2.30pm Testing 1 hour 30 minutes
3pm-5pm Testing 2 hours
Sunday February 8

Start Activity Duration
10am- 12 noon Testing 2 hours
12.30pm-1.30pm Fan Walk 1 hour
2pm-3.50pm SuperTest Shootout 1 hour 50 minutes

I'm only 15minutes from SMP, but me and my wife want to go to the 12H. V8SC messed up.
 
Again, why does V8SC need to work around everyone else? They already try to avoid clashes with the AFL and NRL, and they have probably had to keep in mind the Asian Champions League. I expect that they will have to consider the A-League Grand Final in the future. And then there's the Grands Prix and the schedules of other domestic series.

On the other hand, there is the 12-Hour. It takes place over the course of one weekend in fifty-two. It would be far easier for the 12-Hour to reschedule.
 
I know they already had a sign up on the M4 westbound with the date on it before V8SC confirmed the test.

My guess is for 2015 they planned everything too early and will adjust for the following ones.
 
The 12H could be rescheduled, but how does that allow the internationals to fit in with their schedules? I don't know the international racers, their sponsors and their sponsored teams schedules. The Internationals have to prepare for their European and North/South American and Asian-Pacific race seasons as well. I don't know if the 12H is easier to reschedule than the V8SC test day. I don't know what commitments V8SC drivers have prior to test days or what preparations V8SC has to make before Clipsal. I don't know why V8SC made an extra day of testing on the Sunday. Melbourne teams and Qld teams have to drive to SMP, then back home and to SA for the first meeting. Is that more cost effective than holding a test day elswhere? I don't know.

I can understand V8SC locking in the date before the 12H did. Thing is, most anyone seems to care about recently, is Mount Panorama full stop. What ever goes on there, racers all over want to be part of. Excluding your top tier series drivers from the Mecca of Australian racing, might be a bad call.

I also don't know if the 24H Abu Dhabi, 24H du LeMans, 24H Nurburgring, Daytona24, Sebring 12H, Spa 24H have had to reschedule due to their respective series' test days.

I'd think the greater event, 12H over test days, is more important. Of course, it's not my money involved in these decisions.
 
Here's hoping that nose and tail are as as good as the S60.
 
Looking forward to the full unveil, quite a looker.
 
That rear wing looks very Superbird-ish from this angle.
 
Yeah, interesting to see what they have done with the wing. It does look very tall from that angle doesn't it?

And I know it's mostly white and it's pretty plain but I think I prefer this livery over the EcoBoost one they used on the COTF test car a couple of years back. :)
 
Yeah, the cars greenhouse still looks high compared to the S60 and Altima. With the new blunt front and rear end, this may be one solution. We'll have to see if it also extends over the back like the S60.
 
Does anyone know why the Ford and Holden both had the same wing on the current chassis but didn't before the COTF?
 
Does anyone know why the Ford and Holden both had the same wing on the current chassis but didn't before the COTF?

I would've guessed because it's a spec part like DTM, but the Altima's is completely different so I don't know :lol: It's hard to tell if they're exactly the same or just similar though, maybe they just came to similar conclusions in the wind tunnel?
 
The wing wasn't exactly the same, there was a little difference in the shape. The aero for both the Holden and Ford were designed by the same guy, I'm pretty sure he also did the MARC V8 Ford Focus endurance racecars.
 
The logo 👎

10885233_10152931808824824_4790690938105796197_n.png
 
Does anyone know why the Ford and Holden both had the same wing on the current chassis but didn't before the COTF?
Holden had the end-plate mounted wing on the VP, then changed. For the VF, they asked to change back to the end-plate mounted wing as it worked better with the shape of the VF Commodore.
But as Cap'n Jack said, they are all a little bit different.
As for Nissan (Kelly Racing), they stuck with what they new from the VE. It didn't really work in 2013.
 
Holden had the end-plate mounted wing on the VP, then changed. For the VF, they asked to change back to the end-plate mounted wing as it worked better with the shape of the VF Commodore.
But as Cap'n Jack said, they are all a little bit different.
As for Nissan (Kelly Racing), they stuck with what they new from the VE. It didn't really work in 2013.

Thanks, I just liked the looks of the other wing better
 
It's kind of hard to care when the races aren't being broadcast on free-to-air and three of the biggest names in the series - Whincup, van Gisbergen and Tander - are three of the most unlikeable personalities in motorsport. A new logo and a facelift for the website won't fix that.
 
I just hope the V8Live subscription fees stay the same.
 
Tough little cars

MARC.png


Australian GT driver Tony Alford has purchased a MARC Focus V8 for the new season.

The Queensland-based businessman is a keen racer having contested the last three Bathurst 12 Hour endurance races alongside campaigns in the Australian GT Championship.

Initially the Ryan McLeod built car will stay in Australia and see domestic competition while Alford will join MARC’s driver line-up in one of three European based cars in the Creventic International Endurance Series.

Alford will join up with MARC squad for next week’s season opening Dubai 24 Hour endurance race held at the Dubai Autodrome.

The managing director of Retail Food Group Limited is no stranger to the event having tasted an A1 class victory in 2007.

“I have maintained a watching brief on the MARC Cars project since Ryan (McLeod) started it mid last year,” said Alford.

“I’ve been impressed with the performance and reliability of the vehicles initial outing in the 2013 Bathurst 12 Hour and subsequently throughout the entire European long distance racing program

“Ryan has developed a very competent and robust package, even during the initial shakedown the car was faultless, rewarding to drive and clearly very capable of long distance reliability.

“We are very pleased to be part of the national and international MARC team and to make a long term commitment to the endurance program.”

Alford’s Focus V8 could see action in the Kumho V8 Touring Car Series this season following the creation of a new bespoke class for the MARC built V8 touring cars.
 
It's kind of hard to care when the races aren't being broadcast on free-to-air and three of the biggest names in the series - Whincup, van Gisbergen and Tander - are three of the most unlikeable personalities in motorsport. A new logo and a facelift for the website won't fix that.

Being on the wrong side of the world I don't have the luxury of being able to watch it live. On a V8 weekend I'm straight onto motorsport.servebeer when I get up, and it's normally perfect timing :) BT started showing highlights this year but not for every race and I don't actually have BT lol, although even if I did I'd still download the full races :lol:
 
Being on the wrong side of the world I don't have the luxury of being able to watch it live. On a V8 weekend I'm straight onto motorsport.servebeer when I get up, and it's normally perfect timing :) BT started showing highlights this year but not for every race and I don't actually have BT lol, although even if I did I'd still download the full races :lol:

Motors TV shows the races live overnight, and 'as-live' the following day. It's channel 71 on Freeview. They cover the whole season if I remember rightly.
 
So no support races then? Just 30 mins of Rusty being a knob and the main show?
 
As in only the series' marquee events - Clipsal 500, Townsville, Sandown, Bathurst, Surfers Paradise and Sydney, I'm pretty sure. The rest will only be available live on Foxtel. I'm still actually not sure if free-to-air is getting full delayed coverage of the other races, just highlights or nothing. Here's hoping Netflix launches down here and kills Foxtel forcing them to bring the series back to free-to-air exclusively... highly unlikely, I know but let me dream!
 
So no support races then? Just 30 mins of Rusty being a knob and the main show?
Oh, no. Matt White has joined the commentary team. He'll be the anchor for the V8s, Formula 1 and MotoGP. Channel Ten have clearly identified that audiences want someone with a generalised knowledge of the sport and skills in melodrama and sensationalism.

Although to be fair, Rust isn't as bad as he once was. He's still a tool, but he doesn't jabber on or try to commentate - he just segues to and from ad breaks (I remember Sepang in 2009 being terrible; he mistook a Toro Rosso for Mark Webber and tried to call the race). I suspect someone higher up has had a word with him and told him to shut up. Hopefully they will have the sense to do the same with White.
 
Oh, no. Matt White has joined the commentary team. He'll be the anchor for the V8s, Formula 1 and MotoGP. Channel Ten have clearly identified that audiences want someone with a generalised knowledge of the sport and skills in melodrama and sensationalism.

Although to be fair, Rust isn't as bad as he once was. He's still a tool, but he doesn't jabber on or try to commentate - he just segues to and from ad breaks (I remember Sepang in 2009 being terrible; he mistook a Toro Rosso for Mark Webber and tried to call the race). I suspect someone higher up has had a word with him and told him to shut up. Hopefully they will have the sense to do the same with White.
ill Assume the others are going to Fox?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back