Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,638 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roo
Motors TV shows the races live overnight, and 'as-live' the following day. It's channel 71 on Freeview. They cover the whole season if I remember rightly.

Is your freeview MotorsTV working? I re-scanned the box twice about a month ago and still all I get is a black screen. I didn't know they showed the race in full, is it just an Aus stream or do they have their own commentary? Will probably still just download the HD version tbh :O
 
I know I'm going to get ripped apart for saying this but V8SC going to Foxtel is actually the best thing to happen to the series in a long time.

Why you ask? Well, Fox Sports are already in the process of planning a weekly show for V8SC that is sure to be better than V8Xtra show on 7. And unlike 7, Fox Sports and Foxtel are promoting the hell out of V8SC and have Scott McLaughlin and (sadly) Jamie Whincup as the face of those promotions. Overall the series will benefit from this and will receive more mainstream attention than before.

Now, they just need to think about the name of the series after 2016, perhaps changing it from 'Supercars' to, uh, I don't know, the '(Naming Right Sponsor) Australian Touring Car Championship'?
 
I know I'm going to get ripped apart for saying this but V8SC going to Foxtel is actually the best thing to happen to the series in a long time.

Why you ask? Well, Fox Sports are already in the process of planning a weekly show for V8SC that is sure to be better than V8Xtra show on 7. And unlike 7, Fox Sports and Foxtel are promoting the hell out of V8SC and have Scott McLaughlin and (sadly) Jamie Whincup as the face of those promotions. Overall the series will benefit from this and will receive more mainstream attention than before.

Now, they just need to think about the name of the series after 2016, perhaps changing it from 'Supercars' to, uh, I don't know, the '(Naming Right Sponsor) Australian Touring Car Championship'?

I don't have time to enjoy Foxtel to its fullest, no doubt there will be someone streaming it elsewhere, god knows why they didn't go with the livestreaming on youtube option, that has probably been the biggest factor in the Blancpain series global growth aside from the fantastic racing,
 
Now, they just need to think about the name of the series after 2016, perhaps changing it from 'Supercars' to, uh, I don't know, the '(Naming Right Sponsor) Australian Touring Car Championship'?
That's taken. It's called NASCAR. They have a naming rights sponsor, and with it, an obligation to mention every opportunity. So "pop it in second, give it some jandal and **** yeah!" will instead become "I put the Valvoline Volvo S60 in second gear coming out of Caterpillar Corner, put my Havaianas down to give it a squirt of United E85 fuel and get the Dunlop sprint tyres spinning to race Jamie to the line painted by Clipsall." and nobody wants that.
 
I tried looking into Foxtel Play just so I could watch the V8 Supercars but it still follows the same model of the ordinary Foxtel setup, so the sports channels would cost extra unfortunately. I might give it a try but I'd be scraping by after paying bills/rent. YouTube streaming would be fantastic for the series too but if they did do it, I wouldn't be surprised if the streaming would be unavailable in Australia especially while Foxtel has the rights to broadcast the series.
 
That's taken. It's called NASCAR. They have a naming rights sponsor, and with it, an obligation to mention every opportunity. So "pop it in second, give it some jandal and **** yeah!" will instead become "I put the Valvoline Volvo S60 in second gear coming out of Caterpillar Corner, put my Havaianas down to give it a squirt of United E85 fuel and get the Dunlop sprint tyres spinning to race Jamie to the line painted by Clipsall." and nobody wants that.

They were pretty modest about it when it was called "Shell Australian Touring Car Championship" but as @prisonermonkeys said, they will milk every opportunity they get to use it,
 
That's taken. It's called NASCAR. They have a naming rights sponsor, and with it, an obligation to mention every opportunity. So "pop it in second, give it some jandal and **** yeah!" will instead become "I put the Valvoline Volvo S60 in second gear coming out of Caterpillar Corner, put my Havaianas down to give it a squirt of United E85 fuel and get the Dunlop sprint tyres spinning to race Jamie to the line painted by Clipsall." and nobody wants that.
Yeah I know it'll sound stupid but it wouldn't have to be a full obligation (to say all that), maybe just a little here and there but a naming right sponsor would definite add some more professionalism into the entire sport.

But they don't necessarily have to go the way of a naming right sponsor. 'Supercars' is honestly a terrible name for a series were there is some 4-door family sedans in it, yes there may be a GT-R or two but calling it 'Supercars' isn't fitting. Calling it the 'Australian Touring Car Championship' is not only a throwback, but is fitting and has a nice ring to it.
 
a naming right sponsor would definite add some more professionalism into the entire sport.
I would argue the opposite - that a lack of a naming rights sponsor makes it more professional. Look at all of the major championships in motorsport - Formula 1, the World Rally Championship, World Endurance Championship, World Touring Car Championship, DTM and SuperGT - and you'll see that none of them have naming rights sponsors. NASCAR, IndyCar and the BTCC are the only major championships that do it. Bernie Ecclestone has said that he once considered an offer from Coca-Cola to be the naming rights sponsor of Formula 1, but decided against it because he felt that doing so would move the sport more in line with their commercial interests than he would like.
 
I would argue the opposite - that a lack of a naming rights sponsor makes it more professional. Look at all of the major championships in motorsport - Formula 1, the World Rally Championship, World Endurance Championship, World Touring Car Championship, DTM and SuperGT - and you'll see that none of them have naming rights sponsors. NASCAR, IndyCar and the BTCC are the only major championships that do it. Bernie Ecclestone has said that he once considered an offer from Coca-Cola to be the naming rights sponsor of Formula 1, but decided against it because he felt that doing so would move the sport more in line with their commercial interests than he would like.
I see what you mean, but wouldn't you think that the intrigue of making money off of a naming right sponsor be too much to resist? I mean, more money made by V8SC, hopefully the more funding that goes out to the teams. And as a result of that maybe the field would expand as funding becomes available, so the small 25-car field would become upwards of 30-40, where it should be.

Then as more money is stockpiled by the teams, a return to America or beyond becomes a reality again as paying for freight wouldn't be THAT much of a stretch like it was before.
 
I honestly don't think it makes a difference, no one refers to BTCC as Dunlop MSA BTCC except the presenters, drivers etc on the TV so they may as well rake in a bit of cash if they can. Even the grid is sponsored by that Mitsubishi thing so I'm surprised they don't already have a title sponsor.

I agree that Supercars would be, and is, a terrible name. I always refer to it as 'Aussie Touring Cars' to my non-motorsport friends anyway, and 'Aussies' to the guys who know what I'm talking about.
 
And as a result of that maybe the field would expand as funding becomes available, so the small 25-car field would become upwards of 30-40, where it should be.
The field is limited to 28 cars.
 
The field is limited to 28 cars.

Isn't it 33 cars? Though its doubtful to see a field reach that without privateer entries which no longer exist
 
Isn't it 33 cars? Though its doubtful to see a field reach that without privateer entries which no longer exist
They experimented with 32 a while ago - around the time of the IntaRacing debacle - but found it was unsustainable over the long-term and found that 26-28 was ideal.
 
That's another thing they can look at for bigger tracks like Bathurst, expanding the field to the 30-35.
They already do. That's what the wildcards are for (they're still hesitant to go overc28 entries, though) And the existing teams will oppose any move to spend money from a naming rights sponsor on cars that will make a single appearance, since they contest the full season and wouldn't get anything.

Nothing good will come from a naming rights sponsor. Ecclestone was right - it just moves the sport into a position where it would be seen as an extension of the company.
 
Nothing good will come from a naming rights sponsor. Ecclestone was right - it just moves the sport into a position where it would be seen as an extension of the company.

It depends on the sponsor imo, if it's a supplier like Dunlop I don't think it would be a problem.
 
It depends on the sponsor imo, if it's a supplier like Dunlop I don't think it would be a problem.

But in this ever turning world, its the company with the largest wallet that will always prevail
 
They already do. That's what the wildcards are for (they're still hesitant to go overc28 entries, though) And the existing teams will oppose any move to spend money from a naming rights sponsor on cars that will make a single appearance, since they contest the full season and wouldn't get anything.
To be honest, the Wildcard system hasn't had the greatest of success and its mainly due to funding, and a naming right sponsor may help that, not something like Coca-Cola, Telstra, Sony, Microsoft, etc. Something like Dunlop, like @Malcolm Tucker said.
 
But in this ever turning world, its the company with the largest wallet that will always prevail

Good point :lol: It depends on how much money they're asking for also, people like Dunlop may not be able to afford it. BTCC was probably a lot cheaper when they signed that deal.
 
Good point :lol: It depends on how much money they're asking for also, people like Dunlop may not be able to afford it. BTCC was probably a lot cheaper when they signed that deal.

or were the only company applying for it, the BTCC seems to shrink and grow like a beating heart, has an international audience of hundreds of thousands of people, then the next round is 10 locals who turn up, kinda bad to be honnest, whereas V8 supercars has audiences exceeding 100,000 people most weekends, with the exception of Hidden Valley and Phillip Island which barely scratches 50,000 due to its remote location, and Adelaide and Bathurst which are always over 250,000 in attendance
 
or were the only company applying for it, the BTCC seems to shrink and grow like a beating heart, has an international audience of hundreds of thousands of people, then the next round is 10 locals who turn up, kinda bad to be honnest, whereas V8 supercars has audiences exceeding 100,000 people most weekends, with the exception of Hidden Valley and Phillip Island which barely scratches 50,000 due to its remote location, and Adelaide and Bathurst which are always over 250,000 in attendance

Yeh most likely, and I doubt much money changes hand, they probably just get cheaper tyres. The problem with BTCC is that British people generally don't give a damn about lower level motorsport, it's only Brands at the start and end of the season that regularly sees capacity crowds. Half the fans are overseas! Now that you've mention those stats I doubt any supplier would be able to afford it
 
Yeh most likely, and I doubt much money changes hand, they probably just get cheaper tyres. The problem with BTCC is that British people generally don't give a damn about lower level motorsport, it's only Brands at the start and end of the season that regularly sees capacity crowds. Half the fans are overseas! Now that you've mention those stats I doubt any supplier would be able to afford it
Being one of a record breaking 40,000 at Oulton I disagree somewhat ;)
 
Being one of a record breaking 40,000 at Oulton I disagree somewhat ;)

:lol: As I was writing it I thought 'Hmm, what about Oulton' :dunce: It's generally not as popular as it was in the Gold Cup days though is it? Oulton is on my bucket list, I do Brands every year but Oulton is a fair old drive from Bournemouth.
 
Cameron McConville in frame for enduro return
The now 40-year-old has missed the last two V8 Supercars endurance seasons while working as the motorsport manager for Porsche Cars Australia.

Having left that position last October, McConville has moved into a more flexible role with CAMS, which includes heading up the new Formula 4 Championship.

While stressing his dedication to CAMS and F4, McConville has already confirmed a drive in the Carrera Cup Australia.
The Victorian has also been heavily linked to an Enduro Cup vacancy with the Holden Racing Team, for which he drove in his most recent V8 Supercars Championship outings from 2010-2012.

HRT is yet to confirm plans to replace Greg Murphy, who has left his co-driving slot alongside James Courtney in favour of a place in V8 Supercars’ television line-up.
 
Last edited:
Why would anyone want McConville? He's the Holden equivalent of Paul Morris.
 
Isn't the purpose of being in the Enduro Cup, to WIN the Enduro Cup?
 
Yes. Which is why hiring McConville is baffling.
 
And James Courtney's luck just keeps getting better. :lol:
 
Good luck to the team who manages to put up with his incessant whinging.
 
They should put Tander, McConville, Whincup, van Gisbergen and Morris together for the enduros. Then disqualify them for having too many drivers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back