Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,801 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta laugh at Ford with their incompetent decisions. They drop 888 and DJR from funding. Those two teams then go on to win championships in their cars. They decide to leave the sport/drastically reduce funding and FPR are looking set to win the championship.

Anyways, those PRA cars are jets at the moment and Frosty is on fire. Reynolds disappointed and impressed me at the same time. He showed good speed, but in Race 1 showed why he will not be regarded as a Whincup/Winterbottom/Lowndes/Courtney or Tander. He had the opportunity to at least try and pass frosty but was way too patient IMO. He couldve had a dive at the least, but I suspect he must be under pressure and while he wants to win he also needs good results. Overall, he did a great job with a solid showing.

Red Bull have some work to do and I dont know what the problem is. I feel that ever since the mandatory tyre pressures came in RB have struggled. I dont know if that is whats happened or just a coincidence, but I guess SVG is doing just as good if not a better job in the same car.
 
Last edited:
Those two would get it done. I hope it happens for the Falcon's last year.
 
So where is the REC coming from? Triple Eight have the ex-Rosenberg licence for van Gisbergen, so DJRTP would need to acquire a second one. I can't see them re-acquiring the Super Black, and Tekno have made it clear that they intend to keep going without SVG. I suppose one of the Lucas Dumbrell licences might be an option, since LDM seem to be a waystation for Percat (who I imagine might replace the underperforming Tander) and Blanchard isn't doing anything.
 
So where is the REC coming from?

Not sure what's going on with it for next season but the third BJR REC might be an option too?

Percat to HRT should have happened last this year. Though I can't see GT leaving until his contract is up, I believe next year?
 
Last edited:
I almost don't think Penske wants to shell (no pun intended) out money just for the sake of another driver. It might be Pye or Coulthard. Pye and Coulthard may be a bit much right now. The benefit of course is having two fast drivers aiding one another during the season. Yet, DJRTP are using data from PRA. So, that kind of negates having to sign another driver. If Pye can finish the season top 15, mission accomplished.

One car may be all that's needed until Gen2. Whether Coulthard gets the #17 and Pye sits out until 2017, I don't know. Other than that, the #111 acquiring an REC is not DJRTP's problem.
 
What happened to the REC's that the series got back a few years ago, I presume that they still have them and they would of been up for sale already if teams wanted an extra car
 
Get ready for the Phelps Drinking Game. You know the rules, drink when Phelps says something stupid.

My guess for one of his 'exclusives' is, the Altima will continue racing in 2017 at this point. ;)
 
Just in: Ryan Walkinshaw called Austin's Lightning McQueen into questioning for his aero advantage.

I love how Skaife and Rusty served Phelps, "Uh, YOU were the one reporting who said 'Godzilla will be back in 2017!'" :lol:
 
Last edited:
What happened to the REC's that the series got back a few years ago, I presume that they still have them and they would of been up for sale already if teams wanted an extra car
VESA like the grid capped at 26 entries. They originally had 32, but it was unsustainable. They scaled it back to 28, but felt that some teams were taking on a second car when it wasn't practical.
 
VESA like the grid capped at 26 entries. They originally had 32, but it was unsustainable. They scaled it back to 28, but felt that some teams were taking on a second car when it wasn't practical.
Lesson 1 of a good championship. Turn away potential teams. Logical of course...
 
Turn away potential teams.
Considering that one of those teams was owned by Daniel Tzvetkoff, who is currently believed to be in Witness Protection in the United States because of the connection between his online poker sites and the mob, I'd say yes, it was a good move.
 
I don't see why they couldn't just tell him no and give them to other teams that were't shady.
 
I doubt the grid cap was because of who was involved with the teams, I think it was more the grid not being filled due to the GFC and the lack of extra teams filling those spots, they then dulled it down to show they are in "control" and also prevent the one off teams entering just for Bathurst, which is BS!
 
I think with these new specs coming for 2017 they may need to open it up again.
 
I think with these new specs coming for 2017 they may need to open it up again.

And they should. The invite for DVS teams that bought 2013/2014 COTF chassis, to participate in the 1000, should also be allowed to step up into the main game like Super Black did.

I now believe Phelps is there for comedy relief.
Reynolds in answering Phelps about a driver taking his seat: "What if Fabian stays? Kind of ruins your segment, doesn't it?"(everyone laughs)
 
Last edited:
There's currently a little debate over the aerodynamics of the FG X, so I wonder, do you guys think we'd still be hearing all this if 888 weren't so off form? To me it just looks like everyone else lacks the consistency that PRA are currently showing and with most teams having made a leap forward in performance this year, PRA were first in-line to take advantage of 888's drop in form.

With that said, I don't think it would hurt to do some mid-season parity testing in similar vein to what the SRO does for the Blancpain series'.
 
I think with these new specs coming for 2017 they may need to open it up again.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere thats what they were considering but I could be wrong
 
There's currently a little debate over the aerodynamics of the FG X, so I wonder, do you guys think we'd still be hearing all this if 888 weren't so off form? To me it just looks like everyone else lacks the consistency that PRA are currently showing and with most teams having made a leap forward in performance this year, PRA were first in-line to take advantage of 888's drop in form.

With that said, I don't think it would hurt to do some mid-season parity testing in similar vein to what the SRO does for the Blancpain series'.
PRA have just as much advantage as 888 have had for the past few years I see no problem.

You can tell 888 succesfully got the Life taken out of the Volvo this year.
 
There's currently a little debate over the aerodynamics of the FG X, so I wonder, do you guys think we'd still be hearing all this if 888 weren't so off form? To me it just looks like everyone else lacks the consistency that PRA are currently showing and with most teams having made a leap forward in performance this year, PRA were first in-line to take advantage of 888's drop in form.

With that said, I don't think it would hurt to do some mid-season parity testing in similar vein to what the SRO does for the Blancpain series'.

Ryan Walkinshaw was the one to say something on tv. Mark Dutton said last night that there were other Holdens doing a better job ahead of HRT and RBRA. So, it isn't the aero. Everyone else has stepped up.
 

Obviously he's using the endurance's as a feeler to see if he can get a proper grasp on the car. Interesting to see how he goes. He hasn't had spent much time behind the wheel since the GP.
You can tell 888 succesfully got the Life taken out of the Volvo this year.

I like McLaughin's comments in the article.
“I find it pretty funny because most of the chat last year was coming from that team (Prodrive), with Winterbottom saying in press conferences that my wing was poking him in the eye,” McLaughlin told Speedcafe.com.

“This year his wing is bigger than mine. It’s swung around and now it’s all quiet down there and nothing is being done.

“At the end of the day it’s one of those things and you’ve just got to cop it. But clearly there’s plenty of people talking about it.”

As you said though, it's no different than Triple 8's domination over the past eight years.
 
Last edited:
There's currently a little debate over the aerodynamics of the FG X, so I wonder, do you guys think we'd still be hearing all this if 888 weren't so off form?
Maybe it's just me, but when Coulthard was interviewed on the grid in Townsville, he seemed to have nothing but respect for PRA for what they have achieved - but when Triple 8 were on top, the drivers treated them much differently.
 
That's because all personnel of PRA are respectful good old gents where as T8 is full of spoiled children
 
That's because all personnel of PRA are respectful good old gents where as T8 is full of spoiled children
Except for Lowndes. He's always felt out of place there.
 
Except for Lowndes. He's always felt out of place there.

Agreed, you get the feeling if he wasn't worth so much money to Roland he wouldn't be there,
 
Agreed, you get the feeling if he wasn't worth so much money to Roland he wouldn't be there,
Sometimes I wonder if he's there to keep him from driving for someone else. He gets success, but how many times has he lost out in dud strategy calls that saw him double-stacked?
 
Sometimes I wonder if he's there to keep him from driving for someone else. He gets success, but how many times has he lost out in dud strategy calls that saw him double-stacked?

Every Bathurst since the Driver B rule was introduced, I honestly hate that rule,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back