Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,384 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, I think the Powers That Be should try and encourage an even spread across the grid. You can't deny that the rivalry is what makes the series, and when it's split fifty-fifty, the rivalry is at its best.

Yeah, the split of Holdens to Ford will be a little out of whack next year, unless some Holden teams announce a switch to Ford between now and then.
 
it will just like the early V8 years where there were only two ford teams but were still competive DJR and GSR granted there werent that many holden teams with HRT in their infantcy and Gibson motorsport leading the way for the general
 
Yeah, but how much success will those guys get? Will it just be the odd race win, or wil the be genuine title contenders? Because if it's the former, it's going to be boring. We know James Courtney is finally finding his way in the series and Steven Johnson isn't too bad, but I don't think they'll be fighting forthe drivers' crown just yet. Instead, we'll be seeing Whicup and Tander battling it out to see which Holden is faster, and while Holden fans might like that, you can't deny that it wll be less interesting when it was a Ford versus a Holden instead.
 
Great drive by Frosty and the guys at FPR!

The HRT crew of Davison and Tander are looking like a top 3 contender.
 
Well, you have 3 of the best teams with 6 of some of the series' best drivers in positions 1-2-3. Should be a crackerjack race then!

Rather disappointed with the GRM Holdsworth/Caruso entry, and I suppose the Skaife/Murph combo will come more into its own at The Mountain.
 
Well, Dale Wood wins the Stupidest Driver Moment award for that off-track excurson. He knew the ditch was there and he still went through it, and this isn't the first time he or co-driver Jack Perkins have done something stupid. Honestly, why are Wood and Perkins still racing? They're a danger to themselves and everyone else aroud the,
 
What a moment for McConville!!:eek: That was very scary to watch. I do think Owen blocked a bit too much and he did squeeze him I think. But very scary to see a car go off that fast.
 
I do think Owen blocked a bit too much and he did squeeze him I think.
What the hell was McConville doing all the way over there. It's easy for him to say there's a reason why Owen doesn't have a full-time race drive, but someone with a full-time race drive - such as, oh, I don't know Cameron McConville - would have to know that the right hand side of the circuit leading into the first turn is about as far away from the racing line as you can be. Owen might have blocked too much, but one has to wonder what McConville was thinking in going right when Owen was clearly already on the right-hand side.
 
Yeah, I think in a way they were both in the wrong. Why did McConville force the issue that much in a 500Km race? And Owen did defend as McConville was along side him. But really, I think McConville could've easily fanned the throttle and dropped in behind and continued on. I think that would've been what most people would do. It is bit silly to see Australia's best drivers making stupid decisions in such a long race.

Lee Holdsworth just a had a big one at turn 1 as well. Surely next year there will be a tyre wall installed.
 
Why did McConville force the issue that much in a 500Km race?
Because he's got a big mouth, and his ability as a driver in no way justifies his opinion of himself as a driver. He's too hot-headed for his own good, or for anyone else's for that matter. It was fifteen laps in; if it was fifteen laps from the end, the maybe he could have gotten away with a passing move. But he jumped the gun instead, and it was everyone else's fault when it went to pieces.
 
Bad luck for Lowndes, Great finish by GT. As usual the Ford teams are finding extra pace at the Bathurst end o the year :nervous:.
 
Last edited:
Were Lowndes and Tander playing poker.:lol:
CL: Yer I'll bet XXX.
GT: I'll see that and raise(pass) you.
CL: Hmmmm I'll see that and hang on give us a minute to think(cool my tyres) about it.
GT: Comon Craig, place your bet (pass) or fold (Hit me or chuck it off)
CL: I'm all in (see ya)
GT: Oh thats a big bet(can't match that pace)
CL: My full house is a winner(1 lap to go 3 sec lead)
GT:I guess this ace high straight is no good,......hang on a straight beats a full house.
 
What a finish!:lol: Great racing between the 2 cars though the middle of the race, Lowndes didn't even push Tander off.:sly:
 
Yeah!!!!! Last Lap pass at an a Enduro!!! Great job by Jamie and Craig but a tire was the deciding factor. It could've been worse by the tire actually letting go and him not even finishing, but he did a good job by bringing it home.

Awesome run by Will and Garth. Garth keeping the an eye on the tires. What a finish!

Woot HRT!!!

Funny penguin spot. :lol:
 
Last edited:
That was an awesome finish. I nearly jumped and hit the ceiling I was so happy.:lol: My dad and I were just laughing in disbelief really. That was just awesome.

GO HRT!:D
 
Surely next year there will be a tyre wall installed.
THAT'S AN IDEA!!! We'll put a hard to move object in the way of an automobile hurtling at 200kph haha :p There is no real way to stop that occuring except dig it out, so they first go down hill, but then have to go back up hill that would wipe the speed off. Obviously with low gradients before someone says it, I'm not THAT (and I emphasise the "THAT") dumb
 
That was an awesome finish. I nearly jumped and hit the ceiling I was so happy.:lol: My dad and I were just laughing in disbelief really. That was just awesome.

GO HRT!:D
Tander was a bit of a tool when talking to the commentators after he crossed the line. He said something along the lines of "Everything went according to plan", as if HRT had some how anticipated a last-lap problem for Triple Eight.

THAT'S AN IDEA!!! We'll put a hard to move object in the way of an automobile hurtling at 200kph haha :p
Putting a tyre wall there is better than letting cars shoot straight across it. If McConville had hit Besnard, what do you think would have happened?
 
Putting a tyre wall there is better than letting cars shoot straight across it. If McConville had hit Besnard, what do you think would have happened?
:sick:Perish the thought.
 
Tander was a bit of a tool when talking to the commentators after he crossed the line. He said something along the lines of "Everything went according to plan", as if HRT had some how anticipated a last-lap problem for Triple Eight.
Tander is a tool anyway. :p

You've gotta feel for Triple Eight, Ford fan or not. Lowndes had the win in the bag, only to be denied. He sounded so dejected on the radio on his cooldown lap. :(

Putting a tyre wall there is better than letting cars shoot straight across it. If McConville had hit Besnard, what do you think would have happened?
Car v immovable object at 220km/h = :scared:
Car v car at 160km/h (due to inevitable loss of speed from the gravel excursion and going backwards) = slightly less :scared:

A tyre wall in the T1 runoff would have to be perpendicular to the straight. Having anything perpendicular to cars doing 240km/h is a recipe for severe injury (Paul Radisich, Bathurst 06 anyone? Hell, Rat's smash was at a far lower speed...). Extend the gravel trap, don't put a wall there instead :sick:
 
Last edited:
Extend the gravel trap, don't put a wall there instead :sick:
How does this suggestion look to you?

The line in red is what I believe how far back and the line in blue is how much towards the track I think the trap should be extended.

And now that I think of it, how does the addition of a catch net along the back of the trap sound?
 
Yeah, something like that 👍

The current trap is somewhat of an odd shape... too far from the edge of the corner, and far too shallow. Fix both of those issues and you're sorted.
 
I'd be inclined to not simply extend the kitty litter, but to make it deeper as well. I have no idea how deep it currently is, but both McConville and Caruso (I think it was Caruso) skimmed straight across it. In fact, I think the cars went sraight across it on every occasion that they touched it; Davidson managed it when his tyre went, Simonsen did it too down at the Southern Loop, and I think there were two or three other occasions when it happened. I know the organisers want to give a car that goes off the best chance of being able to continue, but in the case of McConvile's accident, the gravel trap needs to be deeper to allow the car more to catch onto.
 
Putting a tyre wall there is better than letting cars shoot straight across it. If McConville had hit Besnard, what do you think would have happened?
Ofcourse the obvious was going to be stated. There's pros and cons to everything unfortunately. Even "Bungee" cord like on aircraft carriers would be a bad idea
 
Well, it looks like history is repeating it self again. Tander wins The L & H 500 (along with Wil). I guess that would mean Lowndes & Wincup would win Bathurst :sly:.

I feel for Team Vodaphone as it was in the bag. I mean a great pass to regain the lead with about 20 laps to go. Just a shame the FPR and DJR boys were not a bit quicker to get HRT to.

I think the McConville incident was a bit of a non-shocker. I mean McConville was a non-regular driver once too. I liked Owen's comeback at him, that was good.

The end of the straight, they will do something with it next year. The only a couple of this to do.
A wall near the bottom - which would not be the best idea.
Deeper kitty litter - but then cars may not be able to get out of it, which would cause a saftey car. This would probably just cause more aggrevation and cause more safety cars. (as they say safety cars breed safety cars).

I was quite surprised that Tander didn't spin Lowndes aswell :p.


Second weekend in October will be a fantastic race as usuall. Can't wait.
 
It could be good, but it looks like a bit too much of a pastiche. Certainly better than the re-fit of Eastern Creek.

I could see Bathurst Jnr. - that's its new name from here on in - being used for a qualifying race prior to the actual Bathurst 1000 until its broken in a little.
 
That looks awesome!:dopey: Obviously it won't change the configuration of the traditional Mt Panorama circuit (which was what I thought you were implying at first :scared:, even though the Chase was added for safety reasons which is understandable). Nah, that's great, a sprint round on a GP course at Bathurst would be superb. Attracting more events would be great for the town, track and business as well.
 
I was thinking the second configuration could be used for a weekend round in the early part of the season or the 500km Enduro giving Bathurst a unique distinction of hosting a "Enduro Doubleheader" if that would be possible. But I think I may have my hopes a little too high for the latter. :dopey:

As for my name for the new addition, how does Vallley Circuit sound to you?
 
I think Bathurst GP sounds just fine. I wouldn't want the 500km race there, because then our only enduros would both be at Bathurst, which is a small bit silly. I'd like to see sprint round attitudes with Bathurst scenery.;)
 
I think Bathurst GP sounds just fine. I wouldn't want the 500km race there, because then our only enduros would both be at Bathurst, which is a small bit silly. I'd like to see sprint round attitudes with Bathurst scenery.;)
Bathurst GP sounds good as well.:sly:👍

And if it gets the Australian GP to come there in the future, that'll be a real surprise. :D

Less than a week until The Great Australian Race
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back