Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,387 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Perkins has a history of racing for position when he's a lap down and should yield for it. He did it at Winton and nearly look Lowndes out and I daresay he's done it before. If he had been on the lead lap - and given his miserable performances, I seriously doubt that - then Wincup would have been penalised.

Anyway, I'm underwhelmed by the Townsville circuit. The first half is good, but turn seven feels like a chicane purely for the purposes of having another left-hander because at the moment there's only three of them.

Just so you know it was for position, thanks to pit strategies and all. Event though I only just walked in to the room on the tail end of the incident with all the commentators sure he'd get a penalty (commentators know their 🤬), I'm with BigMan. V8 Supercars this season is a pathetic joke, nothing more.

Like the Townsville circuit though.
 
Meh. He only would have gone ahead and done it all by himself anyway. Perkins is a lot like Nelson Piquet: famous name, but zero talent to back it up with. We're better off without him, Mr. Townsville-is-a-level-playing-field-so-I-can-really-impress-but-then-I-go-ahead-and-come-third-last-when-it-counts.
 
Meh. He only would have gone ahead and done it all by himself anyway. Perkins is a lot like Nelson Piquet: famous name, but zero talent to back it up with. We're better off without him, Mr. Townsville-is-a-level-playing-field-so-I-can-really-impress-but-then-I-go-ahead-and-come-third-last-when-it-counts.

So does that make Whincup Mr-I-can-push-off-who-ever-I-like-because-I-think-I'm-faster-which-gives-me-right-of-way? No Jamie, it doesn't give you right of way.........
 
So does that make Whincup Mr-I-can-push-off-who-ever-I-like-because-I-think-I'm-faster-which-gives-me-right-of-way? No Jamie, it doesn't give you right of way.........
Of course not. It just means that if any of the other drivers encounter Perkins, they shouldn't concern themselves too much with the consequences of pushing him into a spin. In this case, Whincup got there first; I'd be saying the same thing if Rick Kelly did it.
 
Of course not. It just means that if any of the other drivers encounter Perkins, they shouldn't concern themselves too much with the consequences of pushing him into a spin. In this case, Whincup got there first; I'd be saying the same thing if Rick Kelly did it.

I'm not too fussed, although regardless of the driver and that driver's history, if Whincup deserved a penalty like all the commentators were saying he should then he should have gotten a penalty. I can't remember the last time a driver got a black flag for a driving infringement despite all the incidents we've had over the years. Officials are becoming soft I think, and not governing what's happening on track properly. Did Perkins get a black flag for what he did earlier in the year when he was being lapped?
 
Well, the thing is that we - and the commentators included - only saw the second half of the incident, when Whicup hit Perkins. We never saw what actually happened when they entered the braking zone. I'm saying this because Whicup had some damage around the rear bumper, and that at some stage during the safety car period that had just ended, he was hit from behind by David Reynolds. It could be that Reynolds hit Whincup and Whincup wnet into perkins, though we never saw the Reynolds-Whincup incident and it could have happened at any time.

And if Jack Perkins didn't get a black flag for racing for position while a lap down at Winton - and nearly ending Lowndes' race because of it - why should Whincup get a black flag for hitting Perkins (even if Perkins had position this time). Sounds a bit like justice to me.
 
Nice work from Courtney to take out the win at this weekends Townsville 400, however I think the highlight was that on the first outing for the V8's on this awesome nth,QLD racetrack, it was a JimBeam/DJR car that won the day....:sly:
 
Last edited:
Nice work from Courtney to take out the win this weekends Townsville 400, however I think the highlight was that on the first outing for the V8's on this awesome nth,QLD racetrack, it was a JimBeam/DJR car that won the day....:sly:

Good point PAPA, a QLD legend taking home the inaugural QLD round.:)
 
Yeah. Good to see Courtney up there actually, even though i'm a Holden supporter. It's been a tough year for him including the shocking luck the day before with his car dropping onto 6 cylinders! He deserved it today, he drove a great race. It was good to see Team Vodafone off the top step of the podium today as well.:) Hopefully a win from Mark Webber later tonight can give me something to cheer about in this weekend's motorsport.
 
[Another message board] posted a few videos on Race 1 of the race at Townsville. It's my first look at the course, and I have to say that while I think Townsville is a lovely place, the track and its settings looks great. The thing I cringe about was how few corner workers there were for thsis race. Congratulations to the race winners.
 
Great close racing, (but a safety car will do that). Nice circuit (IMHO I think Adelaide is better though :sly:)

Good effort by Courtney to win Sundays race, (with a 888 chassis :) )


If Perkins was not spun around by Wincup, Jack probably would have broken down anyway, just like the Kelly cars.
 
Team Vodafone to switch sides! I wonder what will happen to those teams who are racing Triple 888 machines (eg. DJR).

Reigning V8 Supercar and three-time Bathurst 1000 Champions, TeamVodafone, and its drivers, Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup, will race Holden Commodores from 2010.

Holden Executive Director Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, Alan Batey made the announcement at a press conference held at GM Holden headquarters in Melbourne today.

“Holden has a long and proud history in motorsport that stretches back over 40 years and today’s announcement is an exciting step into the next chapter,” Mr Batey said.

“Our commitment and passion for motorsport has not waived.

"Today we are making a clear statement on how much we value this sport which is also a very smart, responsible sponsorship decision.

“We are very excited about working with TeamVodafone and are thrilled to welcome back both Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup to the Holden family.”

TeamVodafone was formed out of the UK-based Triple Eight Race Engineering, winning multiple British Touring Car Championships with the factory GM Vauxhall team.

In its five short years in the V8 Supercar Championship Series, TeamVodafone has evolved from series debutants into the category powerhouse.

From 2004 to the end of last season, TeamVodafone had scored 12 pole positions, won 24 championship rounds and 38 individual race victories, including three straight Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 titles and the 2008 V8 Supercar Driver and Teams Championships.

In 2009, TeamVodafone has continued its impressive run scoring three pole positions, winning nine out of 12 races year to date and again leading both the Driver and Teams Championships after six of 14 Championship events.

“We are delighted to join the Holden family,” TeamVodafone Managing Director, Roland Dane said.

“Triple Eight Race Engineering started running with General Motors in the UK, winning many races and Championships, and it was only an anomaly due to circumstances that we did not race Holdens when we began in V8 Supercars.

“I have always wanted to put that right when the opportunity arose, which it now has.”

Dane said its association with GM was quite emotional.

“Although our relationship with GM in Europe is due to end, again due to circumstances, we recognise that we would not have got to where we are without them.

“It is an emotive topic for Triple Eight and we feel that as we have ‘grown’ with GM that we should continue to ‘live’ together with them, here with Holden.”

Last week Dane confirmed that the team had re-signed with major naming rights sponsor Vodafone for another three years, and that Lowndes and Whincup would also be with the team through to the end of the 2012 season.

Reigning V8 Supercar Champion Jamie Whincup said he was excited by the prospect of returning to Holden.

“Personally, I am very excited, I started my V8 Supercar career in Holden teams and didn’t quite get the results I wanted so now I have the chance to rectify that,” Whincup said.

“Triple Eight is a cohesive and dedicated team and I am very confident that we can continue to record similar results when we climb aboard our new Commodores to start the 2010 season.

“I look forward to working with Holden and hope that we can shoot for further championship success together.”

The V8 Supercar Championship Series is Australia’s premier motor racing category, the category racing in front of approximately 1.5 million people over the course of a 15 event season with a cumulative national television audience of approximately 20 million.

After seven events on the 2009 calendar attendances are up over seven per cent on last year, with over 168,000 attending the inaugural Dunlop Townsville 400 recently – TV audiences up 11 per cent over the corresponding round in 2008.
Source: http://www.holdenmotorsport.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=67298
 
Last edited:
I was loving that when I saw that this morning on the news.:D When I was young (2-6 years old) I used to go for Craig Lowndes at HRT. I was extremely upset when he jumped ship. First thing I was asked by my family..."You gonna support Lowndes again?" I said..."Hmmm, I dunno... It's going to be hard to go for a team that once dominated in Fords" But to tell you the truth I do like Team Vodafone in a way, they don't seem to "up themselves" and the drivers seem to have great personalities. But the reason I hate them (at the moment), is that they're flogging Holden.:(

It does definetely beg the question, what cars will DJR and PCR run next year now that they can't use 888 Racing chassis?

I'm perfectly fine with the decision to jump ship, since i'm a Holden fan, but I can imagine some very upset Ford fans as I was once with Craig Lowndes going to Ford.
Good luck to 888 (next year of course.:lol:) and I hope to see them make the VE work and continue their dominace (in a Holden).:lol: It's ok if they dominate next year, but I don't want them to this year.:p
 
Interesting news but doesn't change that i support Craig Lowndes regardless if he races for Holden or Ford. Just wonder if they can dominate next year.
 
start Stiring the pot.

I don't think they will be dominant next year, because how can you be dominant in a car that's no good.

end stiring the pot.
:):):):)

in all seriousness, I think Ford shot themselves in the foot by pulling sponsorship from all but two teams. Of course the teams Ford don't support, will not support Ford. Good luck to 888, all though such a professional team, they won't need it.
 
start Stiring the pot.

I don't think they will be dominant next year, because how can you be dominant in a car that's no good.

end stiring the pot.
:):):):)

:lol:

All people I talk to who go for Ford have the same thing to say.:(:lol: But Holden fans normally say the same thing in return I suppose.:sly: So....One could also say that they could be even more dominant next year now that they'll have a better car to use.:D:lol:

But yeah, I don't think they will be as dominant next year. They'll need a year or two to get their heads around the new Commodore, so I don't think we'll see 888 domination like we're seeing this year.;)
 
I'm happy that such a successful team is coming to Holden, not really fussed over Lowndes being with Holden though, and worried they'll give Holden a bad name by doing what they're doing with Fords now..........cheating.:p
 
I'm happy that such a successful team is coming to Holden, not really fussed over Lowndes being with Holden though, and worried they'll give Holden a bad name by doing what they're doing with Fords now..........cheating.:p

:lol:

Ah, the good traditional Holden Vs Ford battle in Australia. Love it!:D Our next door neighbours are Ford supporters and we always have a joke around bagging out the opposite car manufacturer.:lol: Good fun.:lol:

That paragraph above is the reason I don't want anymore manufacturers in the series. I think the battle/rivalry between the teams/drivers and the fans is fantastic and it wouldn't be the same with 3 or more different manufacturers in the series....
 
It would be the same just like it was in the ATCC. I still want more makes in the series.
 
It would be the same just like it was in the ATCC. I still want more makes in the series.

Yeah I know. I suppose it would... But I've only ever known "V8 Supercars", I started watching at about 4 years old (1998) so by then it was only Holden and Ford. I have seen lots of old footage on DVD, but I like it more now than what it was like then. But as I said, V8 supercars is all i've ever known touring car wise.:)
 
For those going to the races at Sandown this weekend, here is what AccuWeather.com is forecasting at the time of this post:
Friday: Periods of clouds and sun. Winds from the NW at 7 mph. High: 59°F
Saturday: Occasional rain and drizzle. Winds from the W at 10 mph. High: 59°F
Sunday: Partly sunny. Winds from the NNW at 7 mph. High: 59°F​
 
i was a huge supporter of craig and jamie and met them on one occasion at their banyo workshop opening. and i now have no reason to watch the v8's next year. oh well the v8's will probably only be around for another 3 or 4 years tops.
 
Why can't you support them next year?
 
Jay
Why can't you support them next year?

Or even support Winterbottom or someone..........

It was a Ford dominated practice today.
 
Can anyone please help me? I'm looking for a song title that was in today's V8 Supercar coverage, it was the song they played every time they were talking about the coming rounds in the championship. It was a sort of slow paced song that portrays epicness and slowly builds to higher notes, with a bit of piano in there too. Anyone?
 
Last edited:
After QR it looks like car#1 is marching towards the title after race one gave him a Gimme with the other championship rivals all retiring during race one, one question comes to mind. When will Jamie Whincup have his bad day?
 
After QR it looks like car#1 is marching towards the title after race one gave him a Gimme with the other championship rivals all retiring during race one, one question comes to mind. When will Jamie Whincup have his bad day?

Tell me about it, how lucky can you get???

I think youll find it will be pretty close between davison and whincup at the end of the season. But that DNF was a huge kick in the balls, whincup needs a DNF for davison to have a real chance
 
It's only 1pt between Tander and Lowndes now. It will be interesting to see if Davison can take down Buttercup and who between Tander and Lowndes will get 3rd (although Steven Johnson is an outside chance).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back