Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,262 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiore with a broken RF and beached on the top of the mountain; SC deployed.
 
Not the best 1000 I've watched but still pretty entertaining. It wasn't quite the result I was hoping for, I would've liked to see Holdsworth/Besnard on top, but I'm happy to see an old favourite in Skaife on the top at Bathurst again!
 
Besnard cetrainly wanted it, drove well...not bad for a part timer!
 
Not a Holden fan at all, but geez that was a mammoth stint from Lowndes, 79 laps at the end and 103 out of 161 total..... much respect to the mental fortitude and skill of the man to compete for that long at the front of the pack. Incredible.

Congrats to Lowndes and indeed Skaife for writing another chapter in both their legendary careers.
 
Lowndes was the stand out performer, to do such a long final stint, under that pressure and he made it look easy. And obviously a fantastic battle with Besnard earlier on. AND beating Murphy's Lap of the Gods in a practice run, unbelievable! Feel pretty sorry for Fabian Coulthard, what a place for a tire failure.

Anyone who was watching yesterday or this morning pre-race would have seen the classic on board lap with Brocky... just about brought a tear to my eye, the man was an absolute legend, great guy, and it cracked me up that he was punching the car around the track, and in those days they weren't exactly well balanced grippy machines back then, sliding it around corners, the whole time talking to the camera, even looking and waving at the camera like what he was doing behind the wheel was nothing. Incredible.

But if I saw that King Gee add one more time I could have smashed my TV...

Great Race with some awesome battles! And no rain = not that many safety car periods, great!
 
AND beating Murphy's Lap of the Gods in a practice run, unbelievable!
I still reckon Murph owns it. He did it in a one lap dash. Lowndes had his tyres up to temp etc and he only beat it by 5 one hundredths of a second

Was reeeeeeeally going for Holdsworth and Besnard. Damn...
 
I still reckon Murph owns it. He did it in a one lap dash. Lowndes had his tyres up to temp etc and he only beat it by 5 one hundredths of a second

Was reeeeeeeally going for Holdsworth and Besnard. Damn...

Murphy also did it the very year the track was re-surfaced, so the inherent track grip has degraded since then.
 
haha noticeable today... A lot of "slip, Sliding away"
 
I got bored and hardly watched it. There was more passing in the F1.
 
haha noticeable today... A lot of "slip, Sliding away"

I didn't think the track looked too bad today, all of the people loosing control either had delaminated tires, contact or strayed onto the marbles (I'm looking at YOU Davison - I was hoping for a T8 1-2 HRT 3-4 ;) )

Winterbottom did pretty well to finish in the top 10 after Youldon stacked it - like Crompton, I though it'd be race over for sure, being a lap down.
 
He certainly hit that wall with some gusto. Very lucky to have only damaged the rim and body work (That we know of)

Davison... Not so lucky

The tracked seemed a little bit more "skatey" in my opinion. Probably due to the slightly cooler temps
 
All the guys that found this year's 1000 boring must have been watching a different 1000! Can I also say, it wouldn't be Australia's greatest race without some intervention from Skippy every couple of years.:lol: Damn did Tander come close to hitting that roo, lucky for him then since he made the podium in the end.;)
 
I wonder if Tander has come to the notion that had he not had those few rough pitstops he may have been at least second. Not at all something to dwell on but something to think about for a couple mins
 
This was my first live V8 Supercar race. I watched it on justin.tv with French commentators. I'm very impressed by this class of racing.
 
Not a Holden fan at all, but geez that was a mammoth stint from Lowndes, 79 laps at the end and 103 out of 161 total..... much respect to the mental fortitude and skill of the man to compete for that long at the front of the pack. Incredible.

Congrats to Lowndes and indeed Skaife for writing another chapter in both their legendary careers.

Skaife had back problems, which kept him out of the car. I guess the way that chick jumped on him after the race, his back will be worse today.

Great race, however I do miss the yester-years stuff.
e.g. Bartlett Number 9 Camero at Reid Park- that is unforgetable.
Johnson coming out of Forrest Elbow, clipping the wall and visiting the trees



First one two by a team since 1984, well done to team Vodaphone.
 
I'm sure Skaife could bare the pain of having a young lady jump on him haha
 
I wonder if Tander has come to the notion that had he not had those few rough pitstops he may have been at least second. Not at all something to dwell on but something to think about for a couple mins

Not to mention McConville's turtle-like launch off the grid, which would have cost them track position in a big way. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd get Cam to start the race.
 
2nd last year anyone?
 
Haha, oh wow. What a race start over on the Gold Coast! :crazy:
 
What a joke - Courtney gets a black flag but Tander doesn't!?
 
I think rhe lap 1 accident was caused partly by the horrid new track design and Youlden/Ritter getting into the back of Jacques Villeneuve (a sentence I never thought I'd ever say).
 
The accident started sooner than that - it began with Youlden getting squeezed off the line and tagging Villeneuve. He kept going through the chicane and was running alongside the Canadian when he re-joined. My bet is that he felt Villeneuve had squeezed him off and so they should be alongside one another. Youlden caused the accident, not the layout. Although they could probably do with getting rid of the chicane so as to impve chances of overtaking into the second corner.
 
The old layout had a second chicane and a long run down to the ANA Hotel which spaced the cars out. That's why the traffic jam happened on the new corner - everyone was bunched up. I've had a total of 13 races there on the old layout and imo it's much better.
 
I don't recall the first race being televised here in nz. Unless I was waaay wrong with times? had to youtube that first incident... WOW Definitly wasn't Jacques fault
 
Nah, it wasn't televised except for highlights at 10:15pm. It's on TV3 from 1pm today though :)
 
Damn TV 3! I shall have all things that need doing done before 1pm so I can veg and watch the carnage continue
 
Carnage eh? How'd you know? :lol:

What a fantastic race, the final 30-odd laps were insane! By far the most entertaining and gripping V8 race I've seen in a long long while. I thought he had him (no names to avoid spoilers, but you know who I'm talking about) on lap 101, and the incident in the first chicane was iffy IMO - if you're behind by any amount going into the chicane and both of you have to straight-line it, you're not entitled to take the position back. Apart from that, the finish was absolutely amazing.


Fail of the race - Andrew Jones 👎
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back