Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,272 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely forgot about this race once the F1 coverage started, turns out I could've actually watched it all. I did actually switch over and catch the final lap, I was really rooting for Shane there!
 
[youtubehd]nG7i5wjAPI4[/youtubehd]
 
if you're behind by any amount going into the chicane and both of you have to straight-line it, you're not entitled to take the position back
I'll second that. Of course, if van Gisbergen had come out on the other side in front, it may have opened him up to a penalty because he wasn't well and truly in front of Whincup.
 
van Gisbergen had the inside line though, and I believe that they would've both made the chicane somewhat cleanly had Whincup backed off. With van Gisbergen up the inside like that, Jamie had absolutely no chance of making the chicane - hell, Jamie turned in and drove into SVG's door.

Bit of a lineball call, although I would say it was slightly more Whincup's doing than van Gisbergen's.
 
It doesn't matter what would have happened - once they both went off, there was a good chance van Gisbergen would have been penalised for it if he stayed in front. He probably figured it was better to be on the second step of the podium and safe than to be on the top one and in jeopardy.
 
Anything past the B pillar anyone?

That was Shanes race. Clear as mud
 
2011 calendar has been released. Bahrain is gone (but Abu Dhabi stays), Barbagallo is back in and the Paperclip stays. The Fujistu series is no longer going to Winton; instead, they'll race at Barbagallo for the first time.

Elsewhere, Trading Post is leaving BJR (possibly to make way for Telstra's Next-G brand - Telstra own Trading Post - at FPR), Dick Johnson may be forced to sell his share of his team to keep it alive (it's a complex situation and I don't really understand it, largely because I haven't been following the racing this season), Warren Luff will finish 2010 with Lucas Dumbrell Racing and compete for them in 2011, and Ford have reportedly made Jacques Villeneuve a serious offer.
 
A few more bits and pieces:

1 - V8 Supercars Australia is now just known as V8 Supercars. The series has received accreditation from the FIA as an international racing series for the next five years (after which its status will be reviewed), which makes it easier to push into overseas events.
2 - There is no Singapore race on the calendar for 2011 because the Powers That Be want to concentrate on the new Changi circuit, which is due to be finished in 2012.
3 - Trading Post is leaving Brad Jones Racing as a sponsor and is moving over to Ford Performance Racing to sponsor the #6 entry.
4 - Wilson Security is leaving the #47 James Rosenberg Racing entry, though there is no word on who might join them.
5 - Pepsi Max will be sponsoring a team in 2011, though there is no word on who that team might be.
6 - Ford have pledged to do everything possibe to keep James Courtney racing for the Blue Oval.
7 - Dick Johnson Racing is said to be on the rocks, though rumour says Jim Beam may sponsor Steven Johnson and McDonalds will sponsor the second car.
8 - Greg Murphy and Castrol are leaving Paul Morris Motorsport, their future uncertain.
 
A few more bits and pieces:

1 - V8 Supercars Australia is now just known as V8 Supercars. The series has received accreditation from the FIA as an international racing series for the next five years (after which its status will be reviewed), which makes it easier to push into overseas events.
Will it be 2012 when the series has a event in the US? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing them at Laguna Seca. :D
8 - Greg Murphy and Castrol are leaving Paul Morris Motorsport, their future uncertain.
When I saw this piece of new in a tweet last night I responded to the sender, "One of two things, either Paul Morris Motorsport lost their 'Edge' or are not thinking with their dipsticks enough. If you know what I mean...":D Also, "Dunno if Murph was in commercials for Castrol Edge Down Under using the dipstick as a weapon though..."
 
Will it be 2012 when the series has a event in the US? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing them at Laguna Seca. :D
There's no word on whether or not this will happen. It might, but I think it would be unlikely. For now, the organisers have flagged Singapore, Korea, India and South Africa as potential markets to expand into. The problem with travelling to America is that the series would have to do more than one race there to justify the expense of travelling there in the first place (when Bahrain was dropped from the calendar, Abu Dhabi lobbied hard for a race at Losail so they could split the expense, but it fell through). So you'd probably have to have Laguna Seca/Sears Point or something like Watkins Glen/Barber or Baltimore (as a support race for the Indycars). The bigger problem is that differences in time zones mean that Austraian viewers would have to get up in the early hours to watch the races - and they're already hesitant about staying up until midight to watch the Middle Eastern races. So for now I think the Powers That Be will concentrate on getting races that are more local than the United States.
 
I just sat down to watch Sandown and realised ... the V8s put me to sleep. I have absolutely no interest in anything that happens. And I don't even care that I don't care.
 
Yeah I'm the same. I lost interest about 18 months ago.
 
I just sat down to watch Sandown and realised ... the V8s put me to sleep. I have absolutely no interest in anything that happens. And I don't even care that I don't care.
That's just great.... Glad we all now know this....

Sydney. What a way to end it. On a track that catches even the best out
 
haha no need to make it sound like Nascar... :p
 
haha no need to make it sound like Nascar... :p

Hey now, I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but even I was pretty riveted at the end of this years Season. To have 3 drivers capable of winning going into the final race is pretty awesome for any racing series.
 
That is exactly what's happening with the V8s haha
 
The silly season grapevine - probably the only thing I'm paying any attention to right now - suggests that Walkinshaw Racing will be selling Andrew Thompson's #10 racing entitlement contract, which could be picked up by Charlie Schwerkolt and run as an FPR satellite team (not unlike Paul Dumbrell and Rod Nash Racing; their success at Symmons Plains and Sandown will certainly buoy the team) with James Courtney driving and Pepsi Max (already confirmed as a sponsor, but with an as-yet-undecided team) on the side.
 
I just starting seeing the V8 Supercars in Canada on Speed Channel and I wish it was on more often. Its much better racing than all that Nascar they constantly show.
 
Well, don't get used to it - the latest talk is that James Courtney is going to HRT to partner Tander next year. HRT wouldn't even be interested in him if it weren't for the fact that he's the championship leader; after all, he did a few events back in 2006 and they weren't super-impressed with him. The whole championship has become a case of Holden and Ford trying to buy as many teams, drivers and RECs as they can manage in an attempt to control as much of the grid as possible. It's all so political that there's no reason to watch anymore.
 
2011 #6 Trading Post FPR livery has been released:

52580_4_1.jpg


Looks good.
 
Check out this crazy incident that happened today at the Sydney 500. This is what happens when you have wet weather, dry tires and you are racing on a street circuit.

(Unfortunately the embed didn't work so here is the URL, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx4Vu-y1wQ4)
 
Last edited:
I just hope the marshalls don't suddenly decide to count Jamie Whincup as having finished for the sake of making the championship fight closer.
 
Shame about Van Giesbergen... Almost there, only a couple of corners left and it just ran out. Congratulations though to James Courtney and Lee Holdsworth 👍

Missed quite a lot of races from this season, hopefully can make them all up for next season.
 
Thanks for all the spoilers....
 
Thanks for all the spoilers....
You knew it was the last race - so why did you come in here? If I'm waiting for a time-delayed Grand Prix to start, I won't come into the race thread until the race is over because I know the race result will be discussed. I don't see how it's suddenly any different here.
 
Thanks for all the spoilers....

2. No "spoilers" in the thread titles. If you don't know what a spoiler is, it's when you announce in the title: "Fisichella wins the Belgian GP!" or "Yoong scores his first points"…you get the idea. Do not give away the race or qualifying results in the thread title, you will be universally hated around here. Keep in mind that not everyone gets to see the race live (like me!), and not everyone even gets to see the race on the same day. Of course, you can talk about the results inside the thread!

The why did you bother to come into the thread?
 
You knew it was the last race - so why did you come in here? If I'm waiting for a time-delayed Grand Prix to start, I won't come into the race thread until the race is over because I know the race result will be discussed. I don't see how it's suddenly any different here.
'Cos this is what I thought a general discussion thread, where you'll crack all the results in a spoiler tag, much like you did for Race 1.
 
James Courtney was on radio 2KY yesterday or this morning (not sure which; it wasn't time-stamped) and he didn't really say anything about a possible HRT move other than to comment that he hasn't really talked to Holden. His comments seem to suggest that Charlie Scherkolt's sale of his stake in DJR offer him a get-out clause in his contract, but he still has a year to go with DJR and is going to talk with them first. The reported Holden contract appears to be HRT signing an agreement whereby they get the right to make the first offer to Courtney if he leaves DJR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back