Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,265 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it every time I go to V8 Supercars, and a Holden wins, some drunk Ford bogan is whinging and whining, then every time a Ford wins, some drunk Ford bogan is gloating, slagging off Holden drivers and making wise cracks at Holden fans.:rolleyes:
This year isn't anywhere near as good as last year at QLD Raceway, the races are a lot shorter, and the support categories aren't to my liking. This year we have Mini Challenge, Fujitsu series, Aussie Racing Cars and Formula Ford. I want to see Biante Classic Touring Cars, Australian GT Championship and Brute Utes among other things.
 
Why is it every time I go to V8 Supercars, and a Holden wins, some drunk Ford bogan is whinging and whining, then every time a Ford wins, some drunk Ford bogan is gloating, slagging off Holden drivers and making wise cracks at Holden fans.:rolleyes:
Because every time I go to the V8 Supercars and a Ford wins, some drunk Holden bogan is whinging and whinging, and then whenever a Holden wins, some drunk Holden bogan is gloating, slagging off Ford drivers and making wisecracks at Ford fans.
 
Because every time I go to the V8 Supercars and a Ford wins, some drunk Holden bogan is whinging and whinging, and then whenever a Holden wins, some drunk Holden bogan is gloating, slagging off Ford drivers and making wisecracks at Ford fans.

I don't believe you!:lol:

Damn bogans, they ruin the race days for the genuine race fans.:grumpy:
 
Another round another review and something to give Ford fans some hope and provided a chink in Triple 8s RE Whincups armor.

Courtney Takes The Double
James Courtney showed he is a big chance of being a championship contenter with dominant performances in both races with Tander showing some pace but not enough to catch the flying Courtney. Even though I am a Holden supporter I have a soft spot for DJR, and nothing but praise for James and the teams perfomance another thing for Ford fans and us Kiwis to take from the weekend was the bounceback from Hamiton for Van Gisburgen two podium results catapulting him back into third and within 100 points of JW could we have another contender from the Ford camp

Whincups "bad" weekend
Not only missing the top ten shootout, but having to pull out with a broken rocker in race two this really cuts his lead down in the championship. The broken rocker is what sidelined one of the PMM cars at Clipsal (Ingall I think) whos engine was built by KRE who build Triple 888's engines is there a possiblity that due to the smaller fuel tank and E85 they are dangerously leaning out the engines to get fuel economy? Could this have a flow on effect futher on down the championship in the enduros? Just putting it out there

Surprises of the Weekend
Qualifying: As TV3 doesnt cover qualifying just the Top Ten there was a huge surprise in 9th Dean Fiore (whoever said he was a tailender must feel like a knob) as a single car team Triple F doesnt share infomation with another driver has an older car has little sponsorship and in Qualifying is mixing it with the big boys

Tyres: The use of only the sprint tyres during the entire weekend puzzled me at first but it showed that the organisers sometimes get it right with differing strategys playing a part in both races with battles raging on to the end of both races

Drive of the weekend: Garry Rodgers Motorsport has once again taken this honor with Caruso starting 27th avoiding the drama at turn one (caused in part by his teamate) and after the pitstops had panned out had appeared out of nowhere to run 4th but the strategy had a price with worn tyres leaving him unable to battle in the closing stages going down to 7th

With the next round at Winton in Victora look for the local teams like HRT GRM T8 and FPR to fight for the win on the tightest track in the championship and one that never fails to have great passing moves and plenty of fender bending action
 
Well, another clean sweep by James Courtney in a Ford :). Whincup in the sandpit on Sunday afternoon. The commentators really gave it to Jonathon Webb for punting Whincup, but by the looks of it he was already in trouble before the punt.

Sprint Tyres are the big winner. On a track that usually produces some close racing, produced even better racing than previous years.

Well, a big break of 4 weeks untill the next round in Darwin. I am sure the boys could use the break after 3 flyaway rounds (granted two were within a week of each other) and the Clipsal500 and the two sprint tyre, sprint rounds of Ipswich and Winton.
 
As a closet DJR fan it was a great way to top off an awsome weekend, and a new championship leader as well, could Courtney take the title? If only the rest of the season was run on sprint tyres as it provided the best racing of the year so far and Lowndes return to form

It seemed that Whincup got a flat tyre from the passing attempt at Turn 3 because over the radio he was thinking broken steering as it didnt turn in but a flat on that side would of given the same result. Just something I picked up
(I cheered when he went off the road BTW)
 
Well, another clean sweep by James Courtney in a Ford :).
Guess Courtney wants to have 'order on the racetrack'?:sly:

:O Bad joke, I know.

Here's a headline suggestion my friend ranhammer said to me via AIM chat...
Courtney holds Court in Winton​
And both of us are wondering if he'll be driving the track sweeper again after the Sunday race if he repeats the feat at Darwin.
 
Last edited:
Winton Raceway race on SPEED right now in the US. 👍
 
Well another weekend of V8 Supercar action, this time Hidden Valley in the Northern Territory.
One for Ford in Saturday in the 120km race
One for Holden in the Sunday 200km race

I definately like the format of Control tyre only for saturday and then Sprint and Control tyre for Sunday race. That was a nice try for Winterbottom to come back from 30+ seconds down with 20 laps to go on the Sprint Tyre.

Some very good, clean, close racing this weekend.
 
I prefer the soft tyre only races, it makes it closer and someone else wins apart from whincup
 
The championship is certainly alive now, for a couple drivers anyway.
 
DJR's satellite team - Tekno Motorsports - and Jonathon Webb have picked themselves up a new sponsor: Mother, the energy drink. And it really does look quite nice:

car%2019%20037.jpg


Hopefully we'll see a lot more of him. I don't think we've seen Jason Bargwana - the other energy drink-sponsored car - at all this season. And speaking of new liveries and new sponsors, Dean Fiore's also gone and gotten himself one, too. Several of them, actually. After running the Argus Apartments livery for Hidden Valley, he's now running two major sponsors the way James Courtney used to with Corinthian/JeldWen when he was at SBR. However, Fiore's new layout is a mess:

201020triple20f20racing20townsville.jpg


Both McSheds (brilliant name) and R&T Pumps are like Argus - local businesses joining in the fight. It reminds me of March back at the Canadian Grand Prix in 1992; they were on the verge of bankruptcy and a local jouranlist wrote about it as a real sob story. March then got dozens of local businesses wanting to sponsor them for the race. The very low quality of Fiore's design (especially the horrible McSheds side) really does speak to how under-funded Tripe F Racing is (apparently, Webb and Tekno Motorsports were considering the same kind of arrangement, but decided to hang out for a serious deal). He really should have done what Tekno and Rod Nash Racing and James Rosenberg Racing did and join in with an established team as a satellite team (but then, DRJ, FPR and SBR are the only really strong Ford teams).
 
The new colours on the Webb car looks awsome

Looks like a bad race for T8
 
It was an action packed race... Congrats to Mark for the victory!

The Team Vodafone had a bad race this weekend. A brake hose problem for Jamie and a hit for Craig Lowndes but boy oh boy James just manage to escape scot three! Lucky...

Sorry for Ingall... Clearly was a victim and out of luck but I'm happy to see him happy when he was being interviewed. Happy face doesn't mean happy feeling. I have no idea what's in his heart.

2 months break before we're back in Philip Island.
 
The Powers That Be have just approved rule changes that allow one-off guest drives. There was an attempt to get Marcos Ambrose back for the Sydney 500 last year, but it fell through. Now it will be possible (assuming Ambrose wants in) - Wildcard guest entries will be opened up for certain events (probably the enduros, the Gold Coast, Clipsal, Sydney and the Middle Eastern races [the latter to get local drivers in]) to "noteable" drivers like Ambrose or promising youngsters.
 
These are the outlines for these new rules taken from Auto Action 140
-The driver must be a high profile or an exceptional rising talent
-The team and driver must be able to demonstrate the capacity to be competitive
-Selected feature events/or international events (though they are allowed to apply for all rounds, ???????)
-Must be entered by an existing V8SCS team and only as an additional car
-Must be submitted 3 months in advance of the event
-Teams must include a detailed proposal outlining the sporting, commercial and marketing benefits for the team, V8SA and the event with their submission
-Teams must pay a $50 000 bond for a non appearance (refunded after the event) paid before the application is approved
-The wildcard driver IS eligible for championship points
-Event apperance or prize money WILL NOT be paid to the wildcard entry
-Applications are subject to approval from the entire V8 Supercar board
 
Phillip Island is upon us this weekend.
New rules in place, that the two regular drivers for the championship can not be in the same car, will certainly create a bit of a mixed result.

Will the Holden Roar or will the Islands blood be Blue? Who knows untill late Sunday. :)
 
New rules in place, that the two regular drivers for the championship can not be in the same car, will certainly create a bit of a mixed result.)
I love this new rule. The endurance rounds are always thrilling but this should make them even more exciting. Hopefully it'll mean there will be more cars fighting for higher positions on the track (until the co-driver hops in, that is :p), unlike in previous years where we would see the top team's "B-car" hanging around near the back of the grid.

Unrelated, but I've got new, better, seats for next years Clipsal 500. For the last few years I've been in the grandstand at turn 7, which were great seats (good view of the track and a big screen), but apart from a few spins and passes in the support races, there wasn't a whole lot of action there. So from next year I'll be down at the inside of the Senna Chicane! It's a great, shady spot with a good view at a section of track which is guaranteed to create some entertainment.
 
Last edited:
Philip Island weekend has been and gone.

Nice racing to be seen here.
A shout out to the 'Co-Drivers' for this event, I think they have done a great job.
Being that the race almost went without a Safety Car is a testement to the 'Mature Level' put to the Co-drivers this year.
Great to see the up and comers giving and taking from the main guys of the series.

Great format and I hope V8 Supercars keeps it for years to come.
Hard luck to Wincup having a manufacturing issue with the front splitter that has caused the oil cooler failure.

Now the gruelling 22 day wait till the Mount arrives for another year.

Going on current form, Team Vodaphone or FPR could be the Mountain Tamers this year.


Unrelated, but I've got new, better, seats for next years Clipsal 500. For the last few years I've been in the grandstand at turn 7, which were great seats (good view of the track and a big screen), but apart from a few spins and passes in the support races, there wasn't a whole lot of action there. So from next year I'll be down at the inside of the Senna Chicane! It's a great, shady spot with a good view at a section of track which is guaranteed to create some entertainment.

You lucky so and so. Excellent action to be seen at the Senna Chicane.
Unfortunately for me, by the time Clipsal race time comes around, I usually just want to slouch on the couch in front of the telly with a beer in hand.
 
HRT go old school with a new Livery for 2010 Bathurst 1000.

Looks quite nice, for a Holden :sly:

Come on Bathurst only 7 days and ten hours till go time.
 
:drool:Wow,that's the best HRT have looked for a few years.
 
Indeed. It's a shame they've ruined their chances by putting McConville in Tader's car.
 
he gave it to Owen at the winton round of the development series and as we saw at PI Owen was the fastest driver of the 4 T8 drivers and has the experience at the mountain.
 
With the Bathurst 1000 taking place this weekend, I thought I'd share this YouTube video with the collective. :)

Question to ponder, how far ahead of the '06 Commodore would the '10 version finish if it was included in this comparison? Maybe .5 seconds?

 
Fantastic to see Brock in the '79 Torana again. Thanks CAMikaze for the walk down history lane.
 
I am writing to you all on my tiny iPod, from Bathurst (A long way from Perth!). The town looks pretty nifty... A lot less bogan-ish than I expected it to be. Should be an awesome 2 days walking trackside, watching the support races. Will let everyone know if GT5 makes an appearence somewhere.
 
You know, I'm really not that excited for Bathurst this time. Dunno why...
 
I am writing to you all on my tiny iPod, from Bathurst (A long way from Perth!). The town looks pretty nifty... A lot less bogan-ish than I expected it to be. Should be an awesome 2 days walking trackside, watching the support races. Will let everyone know if GT5 makes an appearence somewhere.
Lucky boy! I went up there back in 2004 and I had a brilliant time. I'd love to go back again as last time I didn't wander as far around the track as I'd like. I mostly hung out between Reid Park and McPhillamy Park, the latter being a great spot to watch. Regrettably, I didn't go check out the esses. :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back