Virtualization for OSX

• Thread starter FoxHound
  • 9 comments
Hi, i have a macbook (OSX: snow leopard) and i have a windows program which i have to run on it.

Does anybody know any free virtualization software which doesn't require a windows OS to be installed?

Hi, i have a macbook (OSX: snow leopard) and i have a windows program which i have to run on it.

Does anybody know any free virtualization software which doesn't require a windows OS to be installed?

Try WINE. I use this to run some of my Windows applications, and it works quite well.

If your program requires the latest version of .Net framework, you might be out of luck however.

Thnx for the reply. I just looked at WINE and sought some information about it....it seems the installation is rather technical and requires some knowledge of the terminal...

Unfortunately, i do not have any experience with installing from source and i'm afraid i might do something stupid if i try it and risk having my macbook screwed up...

Try Crossover. It's based on WINE, but has a nice and easy frontend. 👍 You can try it for free for 30 days.

Yea as i was looking for information on WINe, i stumbled upon Crossover, but that's not free software :(.

I need to have it for a long period of time

Thnx for the reply. I just looked at WINE and sought some information about it....it seems the installation is rather technical and requires some knowledge of the terminal...

Unfortunately, i do not have any experience with installing from source and i'm afraid i might do something stupid if i try it and risk having my macbook screwed up...

I remember there was a program called Winebottler, which came with a WINE application. This let you run WINE already packaged into an application.

All you had to do was change the default program to open with to WINE and it would then run. It's been a while I used it though, and it may have changed since then.

Try Crossover. It's based on WINE, but has a nice and easy frontend. 👍 You can try it for free for 30 days.

Yes, Crossover's a good program to use aswell. Definitely easy to use. Shame it's not free though.

meh....i was searching for info for the past hours....it looks like i'm pretty constrained with this. Although i found some user experiences on the internets that had successfully installed a virtual machine on OSX, it's too much hassle for me to set up everything on my macbook. Besides, i don't want to risk screwing everything up like i used to do in the past in my windows era.

I think i'll leave it as it is and just get my windows pc out again.....darn you windows!

Thank you all for the replies anyway :).

Hi, i read about virtualBox too and actually did download it and install it on my macbook, but then i read some more user experiences with it and although most of the time it works well, some software may crash sometimes.
Besides, i had to set up a virtual harddrive and assign hdd-space to it, which bothers me too.

But most important thing is, i only need to use 1 program that is Windows-based. Although i use it everyday for 2 hours (it's a guitar play along software :P), i don't want to risk screwing my laptop up by accident.

So i just take it for granted and get back my windows pc again...:)

thnx for the help though :)

Last edited:
I use virtualbox a lot at work, and never had it crash on my. However the station running two virtual machines is running 2 Xeon CPUs w/ 8GB ram.

Using virtual box isn't going to screw up your laptop.

Back