Volvo 240, Jimny, Corsa: Ever heard of a Toyota Paseo?

• Thread starter lbpomg95
  • 265 comments
So, as previously mentioned, I've been bored, so I went and bought another Vauxhall. Another another Vauxhall...

HFC6.jpg

Anyway, what we have is a year 2001, or 'Y' reg Corsa SXi 1.2, which I bought for £350 with the aim of tidying it up and selling it on. It's done about 113,000 miles but runs fairly well. The timing chain, head gasket and a pile of other things were replaced in 2016, so we effectively have a new engine. Underneath, it needs two link rods and some welding on both sills and a rear arch. I should've noticed it when I looked at it, the dum-dum I am. The steering wheel also vibrates, appearing to not be secured properly.

As you can see, the exterior isn't as bad as '17-year-old Vauxhall' would suggest. There's some peeling lacquer above the driver's door and one of the underguards for the front bumper is in the boot.

The interior, on the other hand, has seen better days. Though, looking at the pictures, it doesn't look particularly awful aside from the torn up footmats and the worn-out driver's seat.

HFC3.jpg

HFC4.jpg

HFC5.jpg

Where a few local chaps I know would just give the car a quick wash 'n' hoover, check it for anything major and sell it on, I plan on doing it right, and making sure this one has years of life left. Aside from spending a dozen hours or so cleaning, I'm going to swap out the seats for the old ones from my 1 litre Corsa, which are nearly immaculate, and have only suffered half the mileage these have.

So first, I d*cked about with the key-fob, because the lock button wouldn't work. Shaun the mechanic re-soldered it, and I swapped the shell with the spare key from my 1 litre Corsa.

Yv8stuWm.jpg

It doesn't look much prettier, but at least it works now.

This past Wednesday, I tackled the engine. And then Britain decided to have a miniature hurricane. Being in a dusty yard, I wasn't able to do much, but it looks a bit better. I will be having another go soon.

HFC8.jpg

HFC9.jpg

HFC10.jpg

HFC11.jpg

I also cleared out the air filter box.

SvTXn5nm.jpg

With only an hour to spare today, I started on the interior. I ripped out the front passenger seat since it's going to be replaced, and the rear seats were already gone to help save time on the welding...

HFC15.jpg

HFC16.jpg

As you can see, there was plenty of change for poppy appeal in the seat runners! While I was there, I pulled up that little plastic tray that goes beside the seat, and was surprised how much dirt had found its way underneath...

HFC17.jpg
HFC18.jpg

Having spent an hour with the vacuum cleaner, the passenger side was clean, so I put down the set of mats I'd found on Amazon to finish it off nicely.

HFC19.jpg

And I also quickly cleaned the boot carpet which is being kept out of the way while the work's being done.

2rDfAqyl.jpg

3GZGRgUl.jpg

The welding will be done in the second week of October. Hopefully more to come by next week.

Last edited:
I had some more time with Corsa no. 3 today, so I ripped out the driver's seat and got to work cleaning underneath.

HFC21.jpg

As you can see this side looked even worse.

HFC22.jpg

There are a few stains in the carpets, not really worth doing much with to be honest, especially with the new mats now covering it all up nicely.

HFC23.jpg

HFC24.jpg

So with that all done, the ugly driver's seat is back in temporarily. Hopefully I should have time later in the week to get the front seats swapped over and get rid of the ugly ones. I may also clean up all the interior plastics if I have time. I must admit, although this car isn't going to net me much of a profit, I have been enjoying tidying it up a heck of a lot. It's a nice distraction.

Last edited:
So, over the last two days, I've been swapping the front seats in the Corsa I'm selling. So, it's out with these ugly old things...

HFC26.jpg

...and in with the original seats from my 1 litre Corsa. They're not as nicely bolstered but they look so much better, and they've done half the mileage. Since the passenger seat was already gone, I chucked in the replacement.

HFC25.jpg

One part of this swap (and by extension, when I swapped the original seats in my other Corsa) did really get on my nerves, though - the airbag module underneath.

nn2xOfQm.jpg

See, above is the crap seat, and that green plug has got to come out so that the black module can be used on the new seat. In order to remove it, you need three hands, and unfortunately I'm not that blessed. Still, after some choice words, it was out.

AixMAWkm.jpg

It was simple case of plugging in the wiring on the replacement seat.
6knwyknm.jpg
nB8UrP5m.jpg

So, here's a before and after...

HFC32.jpg
HFC33.jpg

Lastly, it was a case of cleaning up the two plastic covers that protect the airbag modules on either seat...

4PviG4Ul.jpg
M1qCjFUl.jpg

gk6Ee7Ul.jpg

And with those in, my work's done for this week. Those yellow bits of rubbish in the last photo are actually bits of foam that had come off the old seats. From what I could tell one of the seams underneath had torn and the padding was being shaken out every time the seat was sat on. All the more reason to swap them. Still, that shall require a quick re-hoover. At some point over the next week, I'll be going over all the interior plastics to finish the interior. I'm not touching the exterior until after the sills have been welded, however, and that should be on Monday the 8th.

Last edited:
Well, I cleaned two cars this week which will resonate nicely with anyone who's played Gran Turismo games of old...

Civic Coupe 2.jpg

Starlet 7.jpg

Starlet 5.jpg

The Honda Civic Coupe is showing its age - rust is beginning in places and with a 4-speed auto 'box, the owners are banger-racing it next year unfortunately. The 1997 Toyota Starlet, meanwhile, is the real gem. A basic, 1.4 litre petrol with 5-speed manual, it's done 115,000 miles since new, and as you can see in the pictures, it certainly doesn't look it. I really want one, now.

Last edited:
The Honda Civic Coupe is showing its age - rust is beginning in places and with a 4-speed auto 'box, the owners are banger-racing it next year unfortunately.

Tell the owner to sell me the foglights before they do :dopey:

SVX
Tell the owner to sell me the foglights before they do :dopey:
I'll keep an eye out :P The unit on the other side was hanging by a thread so I'm fairly sure the retaining clips were sheared though.

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye out :P The unit on the other side was hanging by a thread so I'm fairly sure the retaining clips were sheared though.

Funnily enough there's bigger money in a complete wiring loom + switch and relays than the foglights themselves. The Honda market for OEM stuff is super weird (also very, very expensive!)

Shame that Civic is going banger racing, but at least it's not one of the VTis. Considered buying one of those Civic coupes several times in the past.

Shame that Civic is going banger racing, but at least it's not one of the VTis. Considered buying one of those Civic coupes several times in the past.
They do have another one the same, but in red, and with a manual gearbox - now that is immaculate, and they plan on keeping it that way.

Last edited:
My first car, the old 1 litre Corsa, has had rather a lot of TLC this week from my mechanic. Here's the list of things that were to be done;

-40mm drop Apex lowering springs all around
-Replace rear drums due to vibrating under braking
-Replace front wishbones due to advisory for ball joints
-Replace front discs, pads and hoses due to all being worn
-Replace front top mounts due to creaking over bumps
-And finally, replace the driveshafts, because the things knocked like a charm on full lock

He started with the rear. Here's the old drums once the wheel bearings were pressed out.

iL0iJ7um.jpg

And the new ones after a coat of gloss black.

TTU O9.jpg

And once fitted with the new rear springs.

TTU O10.jpg

Next was the front...

TTU O11.jpg

Do you reckon these discs needed replacing much?

TTU O13.jpg

I decided to replace both wishbones since they were a decent price, and the old ones weren't far behind the advised ball joints.

TTU O15.jpg

TTU O16.jpg

The driveshafts were a right pain the bum-hole. It took me with a giant pry bar and Shaun (the mechanic) yanking the damn thing for it to budge for the one side - meanwhile that didn't work for the other side, yet a small hammer and chisel did. Anyway, with the old unit off, the difference was night and day.

TTU O17.jpg

Then we got the suspension arm off...

s5dNCowm.jpg

And replaced the spring and top mount.

OKtHBAxm.jpg

And then we got it all back together...

TTU O22.jpg

TTU O23.jpg

So, here's the money-shot of how it looked before and after lowering.

TTU O1.jpg

TTU O2.JPG

Note how much more level the rear is. I'm very happy with it - it's subtle, low enough to enhance the look, but not so low it's undriveable.

There is still work to do while it's at the workshop, though;
-Upgrade to Bilstein B4 gas-shocks (they don't come until November)
-Fit sideskirts

But for now, I'm happy with how it's coming along.

Last edited:
So I have to ask: Why Corsas?
Few reasons - main one is I simply like how they look. Especially from the front, they're a smart little car. I love the proportions, too - the way the front overhang is long and the rear is tiny, gives it a really planted-looking stance.

The other is that they're cheap. There was over half a million Corsas sold in that shape, so parts are ludicrously cheap, and spares are easy to find. These cars are literally everywhere. Compared to any other small cars the same age, the rustproofing is very good, too, especially on models without side skirts. Ford Fiestas rust without fail by comparison. Especially if you go as far back as 2002 (which is how old mine is).

One other reason is that a lot of things are very simple to do on them - I'm no mechanic but even I can do some minor jobs on my car. They're more reliable than people give them credit for, too.

Last edited:
Fair enough 👍 All pretty sensible reasons, and I agree that particular generation isn't too bad looking either. My first car was a 1998 Fiesta so I can certainly corroborate the point about rust! I just figure that if you're accumulating cars you might have considered other non-Corsa options too (like a Starlet, given the above...)

Fair enough 👍 All pretty sensible reasons, and I agree that particular generation isn't too bad looking either. My first car was a 1998 Fiesta so I can certainly corroborate the point about rust! I just figure that if you're accumulating cars you might have considered other non-Corsa options too (like a Starlet, given the above...)
Well, I have no intention of keeping the lighter-blue Corsa. Whole reason I bought it was to breathe some life back into it and sell it on, so I'll be back down to two Vauxhalls (or 3 cars total) probably within a few weeks. Truthfully I've been looking to get into the world of buying and selling cars, and this one just, well, came up. I originally had my eye on a Renault Clio (I hate them but this one was very well-kept), but the owners never got back to me.

I'd love a Starlet Glanza Turbo, though...

Last edited:
Well, it's nothing to do with any cars I own, but I had the opportunity to clean a 1997 Land Rover Defender 90 this week. Now, let me stress how awful these things are. Everything is crap. The interior doesn't fit together even remotely well, the seat adjustment is just about jammed up entirely, the turning circle (even though it's the SWB) is atrocious, the clutch is like trying to move a small building with your feet, and they're so noisy inside they make both my Corsa and my Volvo seem silent in comparison. Factor in that they're not anywhere near as reliable as people will tell you, and it makes me wonder why people buy them.

A Defender does two things. It tows, and it goes off-road, and it literally does nothing else at all. So, it beggars belief that they're worth so much. Anyway, this one was rather badly faded, which made for some entertaining photos.

90 3.jpg

90 5.jpg

I must admit, as much hate as I have for Defenders, they look cool and this was oh-so satisfying. It's probably worth noting that this wasn't a customer's car, but it's for sale at a dealership. I think they're rather pleased I'm willing to spend so much time on this paintwork because they can crank up the resale value big-time, once it's all got a decent reflection. But this bonnet/hood took me two hours, so it's going to take some doing!

Last edited:
It's been a busy few weeks for the Corsa I'm selling.

I've changed the air filter and spark plugs for a start...

HFC37.jpg

HFC38.jpg

I've decided it better to change the oil when the car's sold - that way, the new owner gets a year before it is to be changed.

I also did a very thorough clean of the interior plastics - you'd be surprised what you can pull off with some washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush...

KN7K93Hm.jpg
mzC9GRWm.jpg

jma4EdTm.jpg
Um8RaPGm.jpg

sn2U8stm.jpg
elksvNOm.jpg

I also managed to clean up the exhaust tip.
afGUtFIm.jpg
idi2jDom.jpg

Then, it was time for the welding - at this point I wisely got someone else to do it!

HFC60.jpg

HFC61.jpg

HFC62.jpg

HFC63.jpg

With that messy job complete, I re-vacuumed the interior, and finally got the rear seats changed. Here are the old rear seats before they went to the scrapyard in an old crapped out Nissan Almera.

HFC64.jpg

The photos don't show the mold and scum in the seams on the back. So, having used the original seats from my first Corsa in the front, I used the same in the back. They didn't look bad considering they'd spent 3 years in a shed.

HFC65.jpg

Then it was time to, piece by piece, put the interior back together...

5pd2EYxm.jpg
BXxvZUNm.jpg

4LKlC50m.jpg
jWMAVDgm.jpg

6rHXn8xm.jpg
hgG587Cm.jpg

The last part, by my low, low standards, was a moment of genius on my part. The rear backrest, once in place, seized. It was very difficult to tilt forwards again. I realised that one of the two retaining arms attached to the interior on either side was rubbing against the socket on the back of the seat.

HFC76.jpg

I managed to loosen those two bolts, tilt the retaining arm upwards a touch, and voila! The backrest tilted freely. Seriously, I'm useless at this sort of thing, so I was fairly impressed with myself.

Last edited:
I continue to outdo my poor standards...

One of the issues with the Corsa I'm selling is that the anti-roll bar link rods were both rocking their bonces off. So, I had a go at replacing them myself (borrowing Shaun the mechanic's tools). One side at a time, I jacked the car up and removed the front wheels. What a mess...

HFC83.jpg

So, while they were off, I gave them a quick clean.

HFC84.jpg

So, to the link rods. Equally messy.

HFC85.jpg

Using a wire brush and a paint brush, I cleaned some of the gunk away...

HFC86.jpg

Then using a 19mm socket and a pair of mole-grips, removed the old link rod, before replacing.

HFC87.jpg

HFC88.jpg

Fairly simple job, but still. A year ago, I wouldn't have even attempted it.

Last edited:
Finished off the engine bay this week...
HFC90.jpg

And then dressed it with some water-based plastic shine.

HFC92.jpg

Which makes for a nice before-and-after compared to when I first bought it.

HFC8.jpg

HFC89.jpg

HFC10.jpg

HFC91.jpg

Last edited:
Not my car, once again, but the difference warranted posting. This little Ford Fiesta was DISGUSTING!
Fiesta 2003 1.jpg

Last edited:
It's been almost exactly 2 months, but the Corsa's finally up for sale.

With some spare time, I attended to a common niggle with the Corsa - the front suspension top mounts, which rust.

HFC94.jpg

Not pretty. So, with some 150 grit sandpaper, I smoothed off the worst of it...

HFC95.jpg

Then gave it a quick coat of Hammerite black paint.

HFC97.jpg

I know it's not perfect, but it's certainly an improvement that lifts the engine bay nicely.

HFC100.jpg

I also removed the number/licence plates and cleaned behind them.

HFC101.jpg

HFC103.jpg

Next, I put a shot of Wurth petrol system cleaner into the tank before sending it off for its MOT, which it passed with only two minor advisory notices, which isn't bad for a 17-year-old car!

Then, I finally got round to changing the oil and oil filter, and based on its condition, it was overdue.

HFC106.JPG

With everything else done, it was finally time to prepare the car for photos. I started with a quick clean of the door shuts...

HFC114.JPG

HFC115.JPG

HFC116.JPG

HFC117.JPG

With that messy job done, it was onto the exterior. The car was soaked with snow foam, gently washed, rinsed, treated with tar remover, rinsed again, and then clay detailed before a final rinse and dry, followed by a coat of polymer polish. Unfortunately, I was running out of daylight, so the photos really didn't do the transformation justice.

HFC110.JPG

HFC111.JPG

HFC112.JPG

HFC113.JPG

Last edited:
A few better photos of the Corsa after the plastics had been dressed with Meguiar's trim restorer.

HFC122.jpg

A HFC1.JPG

A HFC2.JPG

A HFC3.JPG

A HFC4.JPG

A HFC8.JPG

A HFC9A.JPG

A HFC10.JPG

A HFC12.JPG

Oh, and it's sold already! Took 2 days!

Last edited:
So, Corsa no. 1 has been hiding for the last month for some work to be done. The roof, if you'll recall, looks like this.

R1.jpg

Well, it did look like that. Now, it looks like this;

R2.jpg

R5.JPG

R6.JPG

Needless to say, I'm really pleased. Naturally, it was the same man who resprayed my Volvo back in 2016. So, with that done, I replaced the roof runners myself as well as the aerial. I'm still waiting for a rubber gasket to fit at the base, however.

R8.JPG

R9.JPG

R10.JPG

That silver aerial was a whopping £5 on Ebay. Doesn't look too bad, considering!

Last edited:
I fitted the final fix to the Corsa I've sold today...

2018-12-01 14.24.23.jpg

With minutes to spare before the new owners turned up, I got the fascia panel fitted and got the stereo working. The young lady who bought this (which'll be her first car) looked ecstatic!

So, here's the final rundown of everything spent;

£350 was the original purchase of the car
£3 for a key fob battery
£4 for bulbs
£10.95 for the Amazon mats
£45 for the service parts
£110 was the cost of the welding and undersealing
£15 for the front link rods
£6 for a reverse light sensor
£10 for a Wurth petrol system cleaner
£35 for the MOT
£23.99 for the stereo
£2.50 for an adaptor to wire in the stereo
£10.32 for the fascia panel
£7.26 for a jerry-can of fuel to see the car to its new home

So, my total expenditure was £658.02. Having sold the car for £950, my profit was near enough £292. I gave Shaun the mechanic £50 for all his help (and for letting me keep the car at his yard), leaving me with £242 profit for my time.

Granted, I didn't have to give Shaun £50. I didn't have to buy and fit the stereo, or the fascia panel to go with it. I didn't have to put any fuel in, or that shot of Wurth cleaner. And, knowing it was a wiring fault, I could have gotten my £6 back for the reverse light sensor. That's just over £105 I had no obligation to spend on the car. But, I wasn't really doing this to make as much money as possible. Sure, I wanted to at least make a decent-ish profit, but at the end of the day I feel good, knowing I've breathed a bit of life back into a car that, by its next MOT, would likely have been scrapped. And, seeing the smile on the face of the young lady who'd bought it was the icing on the cake.

Well, I need to find another distraction, now.

Last edited:
It's an addicting process when you do it right instead of cutting corners wherever possible. I think the most enjoyable bit for me the re-listing with photos. Seeing it properly photographed and looking great, after knowing it's origins makes the work super satisfying.

SVX
It's an addicting process when you do it right instead of cutting corners wherever possible. I think the most enjoyable bit for me the re-listing with photos. Seeing it properly photographed and looking great, after knowing it's origins makes the work super satisfying.
It's exactly the same for me. The final clean and then taking the photos and doing the advert is the best part.

Last edited:
So, I finally got around to giving my poor old Corsa a wash today.

First, the bottom half, wheels, tyres and arches were soaked in a non-caustic traffic film remover, which was then blasted off with the pressure-washer on medium-to-high pressure, before the whole car was soaked with snow-foam. While the foam was doing its job, I cleaned the wheels with a soft-bristle detailing brush and some degreaser. After a quick rinse, the car was then contact-washed. It was then rinsed, treated with tar remover, rinsed again, clay decontaminated and then rinsed once more before drying with a water-repellent spray and a large microfibre towel.

D1.JPG

D2.JPG

D3.JPG

D4.JPG

The photos don't really do it justice, unfortunately, thanks to the dull weather.

Back