[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"The #77 Sonic Burger/Coke Zero Special has been a handful to drive all weekend and honestly, the crew at PerlSpeed GP are having a tough time trying to figure out what's wrong. It's really strange, because this is a brand new chassis after a check-up after Dover found some evidence of warping and cracking in the old car and I like driving on the Super Speedways, so..?

"On the bright side, 500 miles is a long race and anything can happen, so as long as I don't get lapped early on I think we've got a shot at a good result."

R19 R01.PNG
R19 R02.PNG
Following various incidents that have taken place at today's Pocono Indy 500, the following have been addressed.
-#18 and #48 will not be penalized for their pit lane incidents. The #80, #51 and #77 will remain the same.
-The #96 has been formally declared the winner of the race due to crossing the finish line first. Future issues like such will require the race leader to remain on the racing surface to collect the victory, not the pit lane.

Explanation for the lack of penalties regarding the #18 and #48:
-The #18 had received prior clearance to enter pit lane under the yellow flags. The driver of the #18 had needed her seatbelts reengaged which was done in the pit lane. Because she had received prior clearance, and because the race director had not specified which service was allowed, they were able to take on tires and fuel.
-The #48 had not been penalized due to being a part of the final incident. The car was declared having lost control and was allowed to undergo critical services to ensure it finished the event. Furthermore, the #80 had not merged completely onto the racing surface. Being declared as still exiting pit lane until entering turn 1, the car was not permitted to regain the lost lap due to being passed well before the turn began.

The Start: "The rain from yesterday washed the track clean and the car was actually a lot easier to drive than in practice or qualifying, but the high-downforce aero package VRR had for the race made passing fairly difficult and it was... "Interesting" in traffic, to say the least. Especially when the track started to "Rubber-in" and the low groove was the only fast way around. Then the same problem from Indianapolis flared up: A pack of cars running nose-to-tail with most of them too scared to make a move up to the front on their own."

Kunimitsu Kino****a: "I don't exactly know why she's run her mouth about Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing and my boss all year, because I usually don't bother with dealing with that kind of personal drama, but I have to ask: What the hell was she thinking trying to do a slide-job on me in Pit-Lane during the first round of stops? I was lucky to get away with slight damage to the front wing compared to what I could glance at her left-rear "Karbashian".

"I'm not going to really blame her for it though, because all of us at PerlSpeed GP were so lost on the car-set-up this weekend that the knock on the wing in pitlane kind of made the car handle better!"

The Rest of the Race: "By our second stop on Lap 56, I was kind of content with running around and saving fuel, but my crew chief had this crazy idea about short-pitting and leap-frogging the field like what happened at Indianapolis and I was far back enough that it didn't seem like a bad idea... So we did. Plus, the car got progressively tighter over the course of the run and I was already kind of on-top of making the #77 Sonic Burger/Coke Zero Special handle a little bit better.

"And then sure enough, somebody grenades an engine and I'm thinking "Come on, c'mon! Throw a caution already so I can lap the field!"... And then nothing happened and the #77 went backwards from there."

When asked about the penalties levied out to him following the accidents on Pitlane, Andrew Draco replied "No Comment", put on a pair of sunglasses and stormed off.

"Following the crash on Lap 196 of the Pocono Indy 500, driver Gary Slater has been withheld in the infield medical center for further precautionary checks after complaining about a possible concussion to the safety team immediately following the crash due to the severity of the impact against the pit wall. We hope to have more information soon." - Steven McTavish, Ecurie Ecosse Team Principal

VRR: We've caught up with Jackson heading to the hauler. A strange day in Pocono. For you, it seemed up and down.

Jackson: Just another day in VRR Indycar basically, seems like it isn't normal unless something happens to me.

VRR: What happened on Pit Road? Seemed like you have something going until that happened.

Jackson: Well I came in and had my car angled in a way to help me get out my pitbox. We've had so many instances of pit road contact on exit this year that I felt this was the best way to do so without someone turning hard on us and running into is. Unfortunately, My car must've been a magnet because the 84 just straight hit us. The Tire changer almost got ran over when that happened and we had to spend time getting the suspension fixed because if we didn't, the car simply wasn't going to finish, period. Had a top 10 run that was going well an had pace that likely could've gotten us up there with our literal sister cars but it seems as usual, that doesn't seem meant to be.

VRR: What's your take on all the penalties and the overall finish?

Jackson: I honestly am not sure. Somehow, this race has topped Surfers Paradise in how looney it is. If they give the 98 the win, that may take us off the lead lap and we get a slightly beter finish. If they don't, we're stuck where we are. Honestly, I've had math tests that made more sense to me then whatever the hell is going on. I'm glad we've got abit of a break because I can now go clear my mind of this insanity.

ZyYeTI.png

Last edited:
I'm completely stumped as to where all of my speed went. At the start if the season I was running around looking for victories but now, I'm back with the pay drivers and the useless entries. Polaris will be demanding more of me next year, so I need to figure out what's wrong at the moment.

Honda claimed half of the top 10 at the end of the Pocono Indy 500, from positions 4-8, and while Audi gained a decent amount, the Japanese manufacturer steadily opened more of a gap to Chevrolet. Kunimitsu Kino****a, who finished the day in 6th, was full of nothing but praise towards Honda. "Honda's shifted their focus from having a Saturday engine to having a Sunday engine, and while we may not have immediately recognized it, it is now very apparent what Honda is doing and it worked." Speaking on the incident with Sakura Ishibashi, Kino****a was nonchalant. "From what I gathered, Sakura had lost her seat belt security in turn 1 the lap she pit. I guess the commentators didn't care to check her telemetry because she slowed substantially that lap out of safety. VRR gave her the order to pit, and even once the caution came out, they still had that mandate in place. She pit under legal supervision of the VRR race control. As far as I'm concerned, the issue lies with just making the rules clear to those in the booth."

"Our driver Gary Slater has been released from the medical center after being diagnosed with a slight concussion following the heavy crash. Doctors have warned Slater not to jump back in the car too soon and have advised a 2 week minimum period of recovery. They have also said that Slater will undergo a medical examination after those 2 weeks to see if he is sufficiently fit enough to race at Lausitz, though they have confidence he will recover in sufficient time." - Steven McTavish, Team Principal

Reporter: Here we have caught up with Devereaux, obviously frustrated, and VRR making the statement that the positions stand, what is your take.

SD: Well I'm disappointed, I really thought they would be more professional about it. I really don't understand how anyone can subscribe to the "her belts were loose" issue. I know we sure don't. Our box wasn't far from hers and not a single crew member went to her cockpit.

R: We have heard rumors that you're leaving CBRR, and perhaps starting your own Team. Does this affect this at all?

SD: No comment.

R: Do you feel the 18 should be given a penalty.

SD: With ever fiber in my body.

R: Thanks Seb.

SD: ...

Michael Hayes: As we look forward to Lausitz in two weeks, Stephanie Porter-Kelley is coming off a very mixed weekend at Pocono. Glad to have you with us to share your thoughts.
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: Thanks for having me on the show.
MH: You got a buffer of security at Pocono in the points, but it was a crazy day. Your feelings on the race itself?
SPK: From a sheer racing standpoint, a top 5 is never disappointing. Crazy last few laps but it was enjoyable.
MH: As you said, a top 5 is never disappointing, but one of your championship contenders won and is looking really strong entering Lausitz and then Fontana at the end. Clayton Hardy has been surging forward, and Diego Jaramillo has impressed on every level with a second podium and really kickstarting that team's late season push. Any comments on that?
SPK: Obviously, I'm going to say that Diego should have been given the victory. Clayton shouldn't have been given the win since he didn't complete a cool down lap, which is clearly in driver code. I wanted to protest it, but then I know that Clayton would protest Lucas' finish. I have to pick my fights, and to do that, I need to look out for my current team first and let the future work itself out.
MH: Going into Lausitz, your oval program is not the best. Despite winning Indy twice, you've openly admitted that oval racing is something you're always learning. How do you approach Lausitz before you reach another string of road courses?
SPK: I approach it the way I do every oval. First practice is dedicated to just figuring out the limit of the car, and then the later session we really try to push the envelope with how mad we can drive it. Lausitz is without a doubt one of the scariest places to go to. Lausitz immediately brings up the images of Alex Zanardi's horrible crash and then the death of Michele Alboreto. It's an unforgiving place. It's a challenge, but it's one that really shows who has the guts to push themselves beyond those fears.
MH: Next year, the series will have at least thirty cars each event. You haven't spoken about it. Support of the move or not?
SPK: I absolutely support the idea. VRR has set up and outlined a very fluid payout system. Having thirty cars compete for the top 20 in points will be a blast and I hope I can continue the success my team has made next year. It gives people like Devereux and new teams a chance to go against the best in American open wheel racing. I'm always going to welcome new challenges and next year will be full of them.
MH: Your sister is stepping away from racing next year. What can you tell us on that?
SPK: Not much new stuff. She's wanting to focus on actually growing the organization and trying new things. She wants to go back to Le Mans, she wants to do the Nurburg 24 Hours. I'm proud of her for putting a rookie in her #81. I know how tough of a decision that had to be for her.
MH: Who do you think will take that seat?
SPK: My gut says Nicole [Liechti] will take it. Nicole is just naturally talented, and with Angel hopping in to teach her things for the ovals, I'm already putting her on my radar next year. She's that quick on road courses. And she's consistent. It'll be interesting to finally race with her for sure.

VRR Reporter: We've managed to catch up with Jacob Descoteau here after he was released from the infield care center. What went on out there, and how are you feeling?

Jacob Descoteau: Well, it's not exactly how we wanted to end the day. Not really sure as to what happened either. All of a sudden it was three wide and I got pinched into the wall and then I was turned towards the inside wall. I did manage to save it, though, but Gary came sliding down in front of me and I had nowhere to go. Hope he's alright, it looks like a hard impact. I'm pretty much fine, just a bit achy, that's all.

VRR Reporter: How much does finishing where you did, 22nd, affect your outlook on a top five in the championship?

JD: Well, it definitely hurts us a lot. We've lost some ground on the people around us, so we need to focus on getting good, consistent results in the remaining races.

VRR Reporter: With the season coming to a close, how are you trying to balance getting good results for BRR while preparing to leave for Polaris next year?

JD: I'm just doing what I have been this entire season. Being consistent, proving myself worthy, and just giving it my all. Next year will be very different, so I will definitely need to make adjustments, but I'll work on that during the off season. Still a long ways away.

VRR Reporter: How do you feel about making this big move from a team owned by Angel Porter, to a team owned by one of her biggest rivals, her sister Steph?

JD: Well, I really could care less about the rivalries at this stage. I just want to get accustomed to how different the two teams are first.

VRR Reporter: Thank for your time.

JD: No problem.

Polesitter Evangeline Porter saw what she has seen 6 other times this season, a lost opportunity, and this time from pole position. An engine part causing failure to her car just past the quarter way point. "It's the story of my season. We had a very amazing start and just went downhill immediately. It was almost instantly noticeable from the start that we had lost power and after 20 laps we lost 5th gear. It sucks because we had prime real estate for a great race. Back to the drawing board we go."

Copying this straight from the 2017 thread because it is immediately relevant...For those that may be interested, I'm looking to set up a creative group, a group for paint scheme makers and logo makers. My interest is to give everyone more options as to who can make liveries rather than load one person down with loads of requests. If you can make paint schemes, or want to make race logos, let me know please. Deadlines for paint schemes is coming up in a couple months, but the sooner I get some in, the easier for me it will be to keep up with filling out the AI stats in game.

VRR Reporter: Clayton, you now have second place in the points behind Stephanie Porter-Kelley, and with your performance on ovals this year, you seem to have now placed yourself as a favorite now if you can survive to Fontana.
Clayton Hardy: Absolutely. I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. Ovals have been very kind to me, so as long as we stay within 80 points we still very much have a chance to steal the gold. But Steph has a three race stretch coming up after the next race that suit her incredibly well. We have to work very hard.
VRR Reporter: Second win of the season, tying you with Porter-Kelley as well as Alan Herrera and Jett Raven. You know very well how much of a contender Raven was shaping up to be before his injury. You have really began to space yourself from the field as a real potential champion. Did you think this would happen for yourself?
CH: No, not at all. I had no ambition to win the championship in the driver's standings. My mentality as always been toward having the best team, which with our lineup between having Jett, Behrris, and Diego, has been a top notch crew.
VRR Reporter: A bit of controversy with the finish of Pocono, some drivers believe the win should have gone to Diego. Your thoughts on this?
CH: I have no qualms against Diego, he's a future champion in waiting, I really believe, but VRR made no specifics as to how I needed to finish the race. I crossed the line first, even giving up my place in line on track to go a slower speed, and still crossed the line for the finish first. VRR's stated that there will be a rule in place for the future requiring the field to complete the post race lap, but that is for beyond now. I'm ecstatic I got the win. Time to bring the season home.

"We are pleased to hear that Gary Slater has passed his medical examination and has been declared sufficiently fit to race in the upcoming Audi Indy 300 this weekend at Laustizring. The doctors have advised us to keep monitoring Gary after each race to ensure that there are no lasting after effects of his mild concussion that could end up affecting his ability to race." - Steven McTavish, Ecurie Ecosse Team Principal

Couple of notes: Lausitz is late due to internet issues from the editor. Expected anywhere from Tuesday night to Saturday depending on time constraints and availability. And this gem...
The Coca-Cola Truck Series won't be the only support series for the Straight Talk IndyCar Series next year. VRR is announcing the beginning of the Toshiba Indy Lights Series and the American Formula Renault 2.0, two series with the goal of preparing stars of the future for the Straight Talk IndyCar Series. Each series will field 24 drivers per weekend, with the Toshiba Indy Lights Series following the Straight Talk IndyCar Series around for 14 race weekends, and the American Formula Renault 2.0 following the series around 10 of the North American races. (Out of roleplay: The feeder series will act as an "Adopt An AI" program, with the ambition of giving unclaimed AI a background to prepare them for future use by anyone in the series or outside of VRR. This way, if a GTP member has a driver die, they can give themselves to opportunity to find a replacement AI, get permission from whatever team that AI is a part of, and use that AI as a substitute here, in the Truck Series, or possibly in a different series that requires realistic AI names.)

Details for the Toshiba Indy Lights Series are as follows:
-Teams can support up to 4 drivers. GTPlanet members can claim up to two a piece, one male and one female driver.
-GTPlanet members can create their own drivers for the series, either as a part of their own teams or as free agents for others to potentially use (see below the Formula Renault 2.0 details)
-For the first season (2017), all cars will be provided for by VRR via the original Smiffsden IndyCar mod. This series will use the road course aero kits. Beyond next year, teams will have to submit their own schemes.
-As stated above, the series will use the old IR-11 chassis with road course aero. Engines will be turbocharged inline 4 engines provided by Honda. Tires will be Firestone Firehawks.
-Car numbers will be limited to what is available in the original mod for 2017. As with the schemes, numbers open up as well for beyond that.
-Oval races will be 150-200 miles in length, or enough to make one pit stop.
-Road course races will be 100-125 miles in length.
-If races are broadcasted, they will be likely without any commentary. Races happen on Saturdays

Details for the American Formula Renault 2.0 Series:
-Teams can support up to 3 drivers each. A GTPlanet member can be in charge of all three drivers on that team.
-The series will use the IR-11 chassis with oval aero, with engines being naturally aspirated inline 4 engines provided by Renault. Tires will be Firestone Firehawks.
-Teams in the Indy Lights Series can reserve the same numbers and cars for the Formula Renault Series to maintain consistency.
-Oval events will feature a single race that is 20% the IndyCar Series event.
-Road course events will feature a pair of races, with the sprint race being 10% the IndyCar Series event and the feature being 15% the IndyCar Series event. Top 6 in the sprint race will be inverted for the feature race grid.
-Races may or may not be broadcasted. Entire events will take place on Fridays.

Details as to what is required to submit AI drivers:
-All AI drivers must have a realistic fictional name. If you have trouble with this, there are websites and apps that can help you out.
-AI must have a date of birth.
-AI must have a location. City, state/province, country.
-Recommended would be a resume of their career before joining a series, but it's understandable if they don't because let's be honest, they're going through feeder series for this reason anyways.

List of available numbers and pre-made AI drivers will be released on Friday.

NOTE: Anyone can field teams in these series! Finance rules do not carry over to the feeder series, so don't be afraid to jump in and test the waters.

Series isn't dead. Recording Brno now while @nascarfan1400 works on his computer. Brno, Barcelona and Watkins Glen probably won't have audio, but they'll be recorded. Lausitz deserves to be enjoyed with commentary given it is the closest race finish to date so I'll leave that to Bad when he can. I'm trying to work out details for a Fontana crew should problems persist.

Series isn't dead. Recording Brno now while @nascarfan1400 works on his computer. Brno, Barcelona and Watkins Glen probably won't have audio, but they'll be recorded. Lausitz deserves to be enjoyed with commentary given it is the closest race finish to date so I'll leave that to Bad when he can. I'm trying to work out details for a Fontana crew should problems persist.
Lausitz is still on my hard drive as mp4. I can try to upload it via Linux tonight.

Lausitz is still on my hard drive as mp4. I can try to upload it via Linux tonight.
Okay. Cool. And Brno may be possibly the worst race ever posted on the channel quality wise. I have literally no ****ing clue what I am doing when it comes to editing, so here goes nothing.

Brno is done relatively. One thing I'll start doing for Barcelona and whatever races I need to do after is I'll put text alerts somewhere for cautions, lead changes, or penalties.

"A good run today. The car suited us really well in qualifying and we were consistently running near the Top 5. If the green flag stops didn't catch us out, we could've been on for a possible podium but we're still pleased to bring home another Top 10 finish."

Back