[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GOD DAMMIT! I was like 15 seconds from unlapping myself and the stupid yellow waved!

Lagueux Post Race:
"I am thoroughly impressed with how well that whole race was run by our team. We finished EIGHTH today! That's incredible and what's more exciting, albeit slightly disappointing, we had speed that could have potentially won the race. I rather unfortunately took the defensive strategy at the beginning of the race because that pack was absolutely nuts. I did not like the look of it but I should have at least tried to hang on to the back of it and then maybe we could have won.

The car was just beautiful to drive, I loved every bit of the drive tonight, and working with SPK for so long just trying to keep ourselves on the lead lap. At first it was a bit nerve wracking being around those two because everyone plays up this whole sibling rivalry, but everything was kept very clean and mostly calm.

Man, so close to being lead lap again. I think we could have won but we just got caught out, but I'm no less impressed with the team performance tonight. I'm really happy that we can do things like this and we'll all be able to go together to Starion next year with factory support. As much as I'm disappointed I'm so much more excited by what we'll be able to do in the future."

Pre-race- A poster I didn't make!
Pace lap- Really guys?
Lap 5- It makes me happy to, Clayton.
Lap 10- We hear it, it's definitely there. Works for me.
Lap 25- STOP JINXING IT!
Lap 56?- If you say so, cant tell without any sort of info feed.
34:00- Didn't use to be that way.
35:00- Welp, there it was.
37:30- Not sure how I ended up with damage to the front, but know why the back is F'd now.
43:00- Aaand there's the Indycar screw job again. At least one every race, garanteed.
48:00- ...You guys are idiots.
49:45- NAS! Do you not know when to STFU?!
***And the rest is a blur as I'm falling asleep now***

Y'know, I'f SPK is right and I'm gonna be 🤬 every 🤬 round, can I stop getting false hopes because of bogus practice times?

Cherokee Motorsports capped off a good string of results with a win on Saturday night, with Clayton Hardy becoming the 5th different winner of the season. "We worked so hard to move through the field, being able to race with Steph and Kuni to move up there and stay up there. I'm over the moon right now. This is a dream come true to be able to win in IndyCar!"

With Homestead in the books the entire Swift Autosport team is happy that they can put this race behind them and move onto Barber Motorsports Park with a chance at redemption.

After what can be categorized as a horrible weekend Matthew Evans sits down with "The Weekly Driver" to talk about it and plans for the remainder of the 2016 season.

Reporter: Thanks Matt for coming today. We know you'd much rather be with your team right now.

M.E: Thank you for having me.

R: What's the morale look like after a weekend like this?

ME: It's definitely a mixed bag. We're all very happy about the top 10 from Rogers. But we're also very disappointed by the fact both Ahmed and I had to retire from the race.

R: What is Seth telling everyone?

ME: He's saying we all just need to put Homestead behind us and move on. We've all done that and now we're completely focused on Barber and the remainder of the 2016 season.

R: Are there any team orders?

ME: No.

R: Can the fans look forward to any surprises between now and the remainder of the season?

ME: Yes there are. But for now that's all I can say.

R: That's all I have for you today Matthew. Thanks again for coming today and we wish you luck for the remainder of the 2016 season.

ME: Thank you for having me and the wishes of luck.

R: Well there you have it. Business as usual for Swift Autosport and Matthew Evans.

News Reporter: Saturday night let the stars shine bright on track, and Stephanie Porter-Kelley raced her way into that status, leading 27 laps and coming home a close second to race winner Clayton Hardy. Steph, you got second after a last lap pass. But it's a podium at home. How are you feeling?
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: After the insanity that was, I'd take just finishing. What a race! We got up front, led about an eighth of the race. There were some pretty hard crashes out there and I'm really glad we could stay away from them.
NR: Talk us through those last handful of laps when you were battling Hardy for the win.
SPK: Yeah, we had a caution with about 15 to go, which bunched us all up. We weren't too concerned about the lapped cars. There were only about 5 of us on the lead lap anyways, and we knew that us coming in to the pits could have really hurt us, so we stayed out, and so did everyone else, and I knew at that point that it was a two horse race. We got a great restart and cleared the lapped cars before turn 1, and Clayton did a great job of navigating traffic to catch up and he passed with 6 to go, and led a lap, and then I took it back. At that point, I saw Alan (Herrera) and Kuni (Kino****a) hold him up a bit, and I started flooring it around the turns, going a little higher on the track to maintain more speed. But we used up more tires doing that and when he used an aero push, where he essentially moved the air off my rear wing onto his front wing, and then he got by, I kinda knew we didn't have enough to take it back.
NR: Prior to the race weekend, you appeared on a radio show where you made remarks that have stirred up emotions. Any follow up to that after last night?
SPK: Not really. I don't feel bad about it, and last night kinda gave proof that I was pretty spot on about what I was talking about. I think it'll be a lot more obvious in a couple weeks at one of the road courses we go to, but I stand behind what I said and reinforce that.
NR: Thank you for your time Stephanie. Reminder to tune in for the Coca-Cola Indy Grand Prix of Alabama in a couple weeks. 2:00 p.m. Eastern on the VRR Network.

Evangeline Porter broke the bad luck streak with a 5th place at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Her teammate Sebastian Devereux carried the team in points by bagging a third place finish on the oval. The race also saw a widespread criticism of Jacob Birmingham, who despite driving slower than an average stock car, drove to finish the event, costing Devereux a chance at possibly winning the race. "My race couldn't have been much better. A top 5, avoided accidents for once. I felt great...I had sent radio transmissions to have the #14 parked. We didn't need him jeopardizing our races, and unfortunately that was an order that got ignored. So, repercussions will be in effect. It's his future on the line, and in the early going, he's showing that it isn't a good outlook."

SPK: Not really. I don't feel bad about it, and last night kinda gave proof that I was pretty spot on about what I was talking about. I think it'll be a lot more obvious in a couple weeks at one of the road courses we go to, but I stand behind what I said and reinforce that.
You know, last week I wasn't happy because of yet another failing with Mrs. Kelley's comments just not sitting well. As always, I was wrong. So, to appease I'm making a statement.

I, B.K. Glover, have already signed commitments for this year and next. That said, when we return to Homestead in 2017, if nothing has changed in my results, I will leave the series.

You know, last week I wasn't happy because of yet another failing with Mrs. Kelley's comments just not sitting well. As always, I was wrong. So, to appease I'm making a statement.

I, B.K. Glover, have already signed commitments for this year and next. That said, when we return to Homestead in 2017, if nothing has changed in my results, I will leave the series.
I hope you realize she's just making a roleplaying rivalry.

I hope you realize she's just making a roleplaying rivalry.
I know she is, and to a point I am as well. I mean if I was THAT disgusted I'd forfeit my 2017 stuff.

That said I am pissed at being this 🤬 week in and week out, and while I get that there has to be backmarkers in every series, if this continues next season I don't know if I'll stay on full time.

I know she is, and to a point I am as well. I mean if I was THAT disgusted I'd forfeit my 2017 stuff.

That said I am pissed at being this 🤬 week in and week out, and while I get that there has to be backmarkers in every series, if this continues next season I don't know if I'll stay on full time.
I'm going to say this, and I have every ability to since I'm like the Ecclestone of the series, you're doing better than Ahmed on a regular basis, and for whatever stupid reason, Swift Autosport kept him over Rogers, so you at least have the legitimate claim to belong in the series. And, you have an Indy 500 pole, which guarantees you an entry into the Monster Shootout every year. I don't even have an Indy pole, A-Spec or B-Spec. So keep your chin up. We're five races in out of 24 and then there's Long Beach.

I'm going to say this, and I have every ability to since I'm like the Ecclestone of the series, you're doing better than Ahmed on a regular basis, and for whatever stupid reason, Swift Autosport kept him over Rogers, so you at least have the legitimate claim to belong in the series. And, you have an Indy 500 pole, which guarantees you an entry into the Monster Shootout every year. I don't even have an Indy pole, A-Spec or B-Spec. So keep your chin up. We're five races in out of 24 and then there's Long Beach.
Add to that I believe (not sure) that set up 2016 mostly balanced. I know I've lined up some training for 2017 that should make a biiig difference.

Thanks for the encouragement Angel.

"Around The Track" caught up with the driver of the Speed Energy Drinks #2 at his home outside of Nashville to discuss his start to the season and his plans for 2017.

Reporter: What are your feelings on the start to the season?

T.R.: Well, I'd be lying if I told you that I was happy with the results. But I think we've just had some bad luck and hopefully we'll get all the bad luck out of the way early and have good luck for the rest of the year.

Reporter: So you're optimistic for the rest of the season?

T.R.: Oh, very much so, we've shown that we can run at the front of the field and I have all the confidence in the world in the engine and the crew to put us in position to get some wins.

Reporter: Swift Autosport has announced their plans for next year and you don't have a seat, are you working on anything for next year?

T.R.: Not at this time we are just focusing on 2016 and trying to bring home a championship. We'll worry about 2017 when we get closer to 2017.

Reporter: Do you think you and the team will be able to be successful knowing that you're splitting up at season's end?

T.R.: Oh absolutely, everyone knows this is a business, and sometimes owners have to make a decision that makes sense from a business sense that might not make sense from a racing sense.

Cat Devil Racing has stated a willingness to use it's final part time seat to help keep drivers forced out of their seats in 2016 for the following season. "We have an ability to use that final seat to help out some drivers that will not be able to resume a full schedule next year." Kunimitsu Kino****a stated. "People like Thomas Rogers or Treven Robie who have, in my opinion, showed the most promise so far that won't get that immediate chance for a sophomore season."

Points standings have been updated in the OP, and I've added a list of race winners as well to that.

Homestead Miami Speedway, Florida.

Following the Cafes do Brasil 300, local news networks caught up with Gary Slater to hear his thoughts on the start to the 2016 VRR STICS season.

News Reporter: "We're five rounds into the season, what are your thoughts on how it's been for you?"

Gary Slater: "It's been less than stellar to be honest. We've shown flashes of front running pace, but we've just never had the luck to go with it.

Reporter: "How is this going to affect your confidence for the rest of the season, especially with the Indy 500 coming up?"

GS: "We're trying to not let it get us down too much. We're working closely with Audi to try and sort the reliability gremlins that have plagued us in the early rounds and we'll slowly look to try and turn our fortunes around. It's all a bit overwhelming."

Reporter: "Even though Ecurie Ecosse remains a small team, do you think you have the confidence to build a race winning car?

GS: "It's tough to work with the existing spec regulations, but we'll continue to do what we can on the budget we have. We're a small fish in a big pond compared to the factory guys."

Reporter: "Have the tensions between you guys and Polaris settled since the Indy exhibition?

GS: "Of course, I apologised to Stephanie before the Homestead race and she seemed contempt with it."

Reporter: "With news coming out that Toronto will be on the calendar next season, what are your thoughts on that?"

GS: "I'm delighted. Toronto is a fantastic place for racing and we pretty much consider it our home event alongside Mosport. I can't wait to get there next year."

Reporter: "There's a lot of chatter about driving standards up and down the paddock. What are your comments?"

GS: "I reckon everyone needs whipped into shape, not just the new guys. However some, will need a kicking from their team owners as some just drive like lunatics. This isn't NASCAR racing. If you clip someone's wheel going 200 miles an hour, it could cause a serious crash and injure or possibly kill someone. The VRR officials need to start exercising more power for dangerous driving, like what Perlstein did to Jackson on Pit Road. Everyone needs reigned in."

Reporter: "Finally, how are the plans for 2017 coming along?

GS: "So far, we're on schedule. Design work for both cars is well underway. We'll be inviting Aaron over for a seat fitting in the summer. Until then, we'll keep on trying to develop our 2016 car."

Reporter: "Thank you for your time."

GS: "My pleasure."

Following continued criticism of reliability, Audi Sport North America have released a report stating that the engine is simply highly sensitive to overheating. This is following a long study of the engines that were used at Bristol, Indianapolis, and Motegi. Audi has sourced issues such as running high rpms, full fuel mix, and running in the draft for prolonged periods of time as the primary reasons behind the overheating, and that all Audi drivers should use maximum caution running in draft for prolonged periods of times, especially on ovals and as we get closer to the summer months.

Swift Autosport has decided upon a change that will see Thomas Rogers become the full time driver and Mohammad Ahmed be bumped down to a part time drive. A full report is scheduled to come this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park.

Cat Devil Racing has sent out the acknowledgement that they will confirm their 2017 driver lineup in mid-July. They have confirmed they will have 4 full time cars as well as two limited schedule cars. However, who will fill those roles remains a bit of a mystery with Sakura Ishibashi stating within the team her wish to head to the WEC again. Henna Venalainen hasn't been ruled out, but her sponsorship will not renew for 2017, along with the additions of Nii Aryeetey and Jerome Torres to the fold in some capacity. Only Kunimitsu Kino****a and Camyron Jackson have confirmed they will be returning to their roles next season with Steven Gnash leaving the team for Black Rose Racing at season's end. "There are a lot of loose ends to tie up for us. It's great to be in demand, but we need to lineup which sponsors will go where." Kino****a stated on the question of what the team will look like in 2017.

Last edited:
So, VRR is expanding its committee for B-Spec series organization. It's akin to a board of directors, but without finances, and more to better manage the series we have. It helps organize ideas for things like broadcasts, series calendars, series ideas, mod finding, and a lot of other proposals. So, if you are not a high ranking official of a different B-Spec organization and you feel like you might be able to handle the responsibility of helping improve VRR for everyone, send me a private convo and we'll talk.

So, VRR is expanding its committee for B-Spec series organization. It's akin to a board of directors, but without finances, and more to better manage the series we have. It helps organize ideas for things like broadcasts, series calendars, series ideas, mod finding, and a lot of other proposals. So, if you are not a high ranking official of a different B-Spec organization and you feel like you might be able to handle the responsibility of helping improve VRR for everyone, send me a private convo and we'll talk.
Am I that or no? I could do what I do with nas and send **** that I happen to find (mostly from SRD)

Am I that or no? I could do what I do with nas and send **** that I happen to find (mostly from SRD)
It's arguable. You do lead a RACE series, but I don't genuinely think a hierarchy exists there so I'd say you can still apply.

It's arguable. You do lead a RACE series, but I don't genuinely think a hierarchy exists there so I'd say you can still apply.
I don't really do anything besides stick the name on :lol:, I'll make that convo shortly

The last few races have been difficult for the drivers in the BRRT stable. It's been a rough time of bad luck leading to crappy results. We assume that this is the main reason we haven't been able to get in contact with Jacob Descoteau within the past two weeks. With this weekend being an off week, the team is trying their best to gather everything together on their way to Indy.

However, in an exclusive press meeting early this morning, Descoteau was present, and we were able to get in a few words with him. The full conversation is below.

News Reporter: Jacob, what are your feelings about the season so far?

Jacob Descoteau: Meh.

NR: Oh. Well, why is that so?

JD: Well, we've just not had the luck we need so far. Pretty much everything has gone wrong for us, asides from the podium at Motegi. It's gone all wrong for the whole team as well. Angel's rough start pretty much brought us down as a team. With the captain being the lowest in points on the team, it's just really difficult to keep the morale boosted.

NR: Yea, it is very understandable. What's going on right now with the team over this off weekend?

JD:
We're currently just doing some pit crew training, as well as analyzing all of our data and trying to get these Chevrolet power plants more reliable. Having a reliable engine will be a key thing throughout the course of this season.

NR:
What's your outlook heading into Alabama, and then the few races leading up to Indy?

JD:
I'm just hoping we an provide some good results and bring home some good points. We really need it right now if we want to be contenders in the championship this season. Hopefully if we can get good results, we'll be able to have some good spirit headed into Indy.

NR:
Do you have any news about Polaris Motorsports and your ride next season?

JD:
Not at the moment right now, we're still working on some sponsor deals and whatnot. You'll have to wait just a bit longer.

NR:
Alright, thanks for taking the time for us!

JD:
No problem, it was my pleasure.

Beginning in 2017, Molson Canadian will have the exclusive right to be the title sponsor of any races in Canada for the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series. The 2016 season will see the series visit Mosport and Trois-Rivieres, sponsored by Audi and Toshiba respectively. However, the series will visit Edmonton and Toronto in 2017, with the races respectively titled Molson Indy Edmonton and Molson Indy Toronto. Both will take place on temporary street circuits, and have already been praised by different teams and drivers in the series.
Five races into the season, and VRR has decided to publicly announce when engine manufacturers can refine their powerplants for the next two years. For 2016, Audi, Chevrolet and Honda are on the same schedules, with engine updates allowed after Indianapolis and after Pocono respectively. Each update is restricted to 10 tokens total to either engine updates themselves or reliability updates.
In 2017, this program changes, with the six engine manufactures split into pairs of three.
Aston Martin and Honda are allowed to revise their engines after rounds 7 and 14
Audi and Ford are allowed to revise their engines after rounds 9 and 18
Chevrolet and Ferrari are allowed to revise their engines after rounds 10 and 20.
Each engine manufacturer is to be limited to 30 total tokens that they can split among their two revision dates as they choose.

Trying to figure out the Long Beach GP entry list. Currently it looks like:
Swift Autosport bringing 3 cars
Scuderia Rabia Furiosa bringing 1 car
Team Kate Upton bringing 3 cars
Cat Devil Racing bringing 5 cars
Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing bringing 5 cars
Cherokee Motorsports bringing 4 cars
Polaris Motorsports bringing 2 cars
NCTX Motorsports bringing 1 car
Harsk World Motorsport bringing 1 car
Perl Speed GP bringing 1 car
Martini Racing bringing 1 car
Legacy Racing bringing 1 car
Bauer NTi Team NZ bringing 1 car
Ecurie Ecosse bringing 1 car
Mugen Motorsports bringing 1 car
Standard Motorsports bringing 1 car

Any teams want to add or remove from this list. Currently sits at 32 entries. Only points at stake are for engines, nation cup, and team's championship.

Long Beach Format:
Top 16 drivers in points are automatically locked into the race. All entries not locked in will have to participate in a 25% normal distance race to determine the final 8 drivers. The final grid of 24 will have 1 30 minute practice session, 4 qualifying laps, and an 80 lap race.

Currently, that shootout race looks packed, with 16 entries in that alone. Both races will be broadcasted.

Any teams want to add or remove from this list. Currently sits at 32 entries. Only points at stake are for engines, nation cup, and team's championship.

Long Beach Format:
Top 16 drivers in points are automatically locked into the race. All entries not locked in will have to participate in a 25% normal distance race to determine the final 8 drivers. The final grid of 24 will have 1 30 minute practice session, 4 qualifying laps, and an 80 lap race.

Currently, that shootout race looks packed, with 16 entries in that alone. Both races will be broadcasted.
I guess my team's second car is coming.

Long Beach Format:

If @Whitetail wants to give it a try, we'll pack his car for the trip too.

Updated Entry List for the 2016 GTPlanet Indy Grand Prix of Long Beach:
#2: Thomas Rogers (USA)/Speed Energy Drinks
#5: Mohammad Ahmed (PAK)/Rarity MLP
#7: Evangeline Porter (USA)/Coca-Cola Vanilla
#9: Michael White (USA)/Bambi
#10: Gary Slater (SCO)/Johnnie Walker
#11: Alex Rivera (LUX)/7-Eleven
#14: Jacob Birmingham (USA)/Sprite
#18: Sakura Ishibashi (JPN)/DHL Express
#19: Camyron Jackson (USA)/PlayStation
#20: Hugo Del Prete (USA)/Red Bull
#22: Jacob Descoteau (USA)/Vitamin Water
#24: Jesus Cristobal (PER)/DuPont
#25: Stefan Montana (USA)/7-Eleven
#27: Aaron van der Linden (CAN)/Mugen
#43: Cliff Lagueux (CAN)/Molson Canadian
#48: Lucas Larese (USA)/Alienware
#50: Matthew Evans (USA)/Logan's Roadhouse
#55: Ryan Perlstein (USA)/GE Innovation Technology
#67: Jamie Ngaire-Jardine (NZL)/Bauer Hockey
#76: Nico Costa-Monteiro (POR)/Burger King
#77: Andrew Draco (USA)/Sonic Drive Thru
#78: Pedro Harsk (POR)/Audi Sport
#79: B.K. Glover (USA)/None
#80: Sebastian Devereux (FRA)/Princess Luna
#84: Stephanie Porter-Kelley (BIH)/Alienware
#87: Henna Venalainen (FIN)/Victoria's Secret
#91: Kunimitsu Kino****a (JPN)/Sony
#92: Treven Robie (USA)/YouTube
#95: Behrris Windross (USA)/Pennzoil
#96: Clayton Hardy (CHK)/Royal Crown Cola
#97: Jett Raven (USA)/ALS Association
#98: Diego Jaramillo (ESP)/Dogecoin
#99: Steven Gnash (CAN)/Pepsi

Would @Earth or @Michelin want to join the party for Long Beach?

Back