[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Added to the list I have on my flash drive.

Long Beach looking nice. 18 currently for the shootout battling for 8 spots. In laps, the shootout will be 20 laps, whereas the full 24 car race will be 80 laps.

Also putting out a bit of a teaser. Of the 24 points races in the season, 17 different drivers won a race. I'm still on race 14 as far as points calculations go, so I genuinely have no idea who won any of the championships.

Current Straight Talk IndyCar Series driver Kunimitsu Kino****a has driven all over the world, with 6 seasons of Formula One experience, 3 seasons of Super GT experience, and a Le Mans winner in LMP1. However, prior to 2016, she had only raced in the United States four times. Now, currently living in the United States on a visa, she opened up on how different everything is. "I think the immediate difference is the atmosphere." She said as she looked out at the open field behind her current home outside of Olympia, Washington. "In Japan, there's the feeling of controlled chaos, of everything moving rapidly but at a constant, predictable rhythm, and to a point where it's hard to throw that rhythm off. Here, there is none of that. It's a cluster, constantly updating, evolving for better or for worse, with no lead and moving on impulses that often times go unchecked until the consequences sink in. And the racing is a bit of the same. In Japan, evolution is controlled, steady, and precise most of the time. Look at Super Formula, Super GT and see that the cars are both modern and simple, where you rely on sheer talent and skills to move forward. Here, the equality in the racing is an illusion, and one that fewer people are beginning to believe. In stock cars, the cars appear similar, but the engine programs prevent the racing to be as unpredictable as it would appear on the outside. And in IndyCar, if you aren't in a big team, you're scrapping the barrel for the best you can get, and depending on those factory teams, that may be next to nothing, which is frightening for a control series. Nothing over here is as it's made out to be. Some times that's a great thing because your expectations are so low, when you find that surprise your mind is blown. But most of that is negative. The "equal opportunity" just means you can get your foot in the door. Once you're in, it's just as easy to be forced out. That's depressing. So, why am I here? Why am I within these borders? Because I want to help get people in the door and block it so they don't get thrown out at random. For once, I want something American to be as the country claims it can be."

So, I know that there is supposed to be Barber this weekend but due to a technical issue, both Barber and Kentucky will come out together.

On my end I have some good news and bad news. Good news, I replaced my computer. Bad news, I lost half of the season's replays, meaning I have to run everything from Trois-Rivieres to Fontana all over again. But, on the brighter side, I still have everyone's cars, I still have the records up to date to Mosport, and I still have all the tracks I need. I got off a bit lucky.

I imagine this changes a few things that we may never know about, but this is welcome news. Thank you for the update.
It might change a lot. I get to spoil what the season could have been because it's all gone.

Had my computer not turned into a potato...
1) Alan Herrera would have been driver's champion.
2) Cherokee Motorsports would have won the Team Championship
3) Honda would have won the Engine Cup
4) Alex Rivera had most wins of the season at 3. He won COTA, which isn't even on the calendar anymore due to it being corrupted. (More on the replacement later...), as well as Milwaukee and Pocono. Despite those three wins, he was only 11th in points at the end of the season.
5) Barcelona saw the only all women podium, with Porter-Kelley, Ngaire-Jardine, and myself on the podium.
6) Steph had most poles of the year at 3.

However, right now...
1) Top 5 in points are separated by 10 points, with the top three separated by 5 points.
2) I have to literally run though and run a race per day now to catch back up.
3) I might actually win a race and enter Valhalla.

It might change a lot. I get to spoil what the season could have been because it's all gone.

Had my computer not turned into a potato...
1) Alan Herrera would have been driver's champion.
2) Cherokee Motorsports would have won the Team Championship
3) Honda would have won the Engine Cup
4) Alex Rivera had most wins of the season at 3. He won COTA, which isn't even on the calendar anymore due to it being corrupted. (More on the replacement later...), as well as Milwaukee and Pocono. Despite those three wins, he was only 11th in points at the end of the season.
5) Barcelona saw the only all women podium, with Porter-Kelley, Ngaire-Jardine, and myself on the podium.
6) Steph had most poles of the year at 3.

However, right now...
1) Top 5 in points are separated by 10 points, with the top three separated by 5 points.
2) I have to literally run though and run a race per day now to catch back up.
3) I might actually win a race and enter Valhalla.
GTP_3 wins.gif
But at least she has the Michigan Replay....please.

Dropping a bombshell...
The community of St. Petersburg now has a competition on its hands to keep a hold of its Straight Talk IndyCar Series event. Daytona International Speedway has had its road course configuration approved for use, and talks have emerged for a possible return to Miami Bicentennial Park or an official race at Sebring. VRR has made it known to all of these venues that it will only host two events in the state for the forseeable future, and with the Homestead-Miami oval event proving to be massively successful, that leaves a single event to be contested by four different locations. These talks apparently started following the race at St. Pete, after serious blunders on behalf of St. Pete's officiating crew put the event under disrepute. "I think this needs to be sorted quickly." Evangeline Porter commented on the rumors. "I believe that St. Pete needs the event, and VRR has already shown that they can flex muscles and boot events out. So, we'll see. I wouldn't mind any of the proposed places."

One of the big mediators for the battle over Florida's American season opener slot has been none other than Orlando native Stephanie Porter-Kelley. She's even gone as far as helping line up potential title sponsors for the different candidates. "Racing is pretty big here in Florida. Think about the different venues here. Daytona, Sebring, Palm Beach, then you add Miami wanting a street circuit again and St. Pete. The problem is that VRR doesn't want more than two races in the state despite being all for having 3-5 races in Ohio if they had the chance. If they ran St. Pete and Homestead at the beginning and then ran another Florida event on the run between the fly away races and Fontana, then we'd have an easy time. Having event promoters live in fear of having their races axed at any time isn't good business. You either stick to the original binding contract with St. Pete or you don't. Don't flip back and forth hoping for optimistic bidders." She also dropped another bombshell. "As much as the Florida issue is, I see Bosnia getting an event very soon too. It's a matter of formalities I believe."

Due to the fact that we are really close to the broadcast schedule, I will not be pressing the crew to make a broadcast of the Barber race. If they can, they will make it when they make it, but I'd rather them be on schedule or ahead of schedule first. So, here is the official race report for Barber.

Attachments

• Race 06.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 14
Really good result. We just had to keep a steady pace and not get into too much trouble.

I know it's been awhile but hopefully we can get back rolling this weekend, broadcast crew permitting. It's Kentucky weekend.
Kentucky FP101.PNG
Kentucky FP102.PNG
Kentucky FP201.PNG
Kentucky FP202.PNG

Some massive news for discussion too...
1) FurAffinity to sponsor 2017 Michigan 500 mile race, with Coca-Cola sponsoring the 600 mile Kentucky race next year.
2) Factory team owners to set up regs for 2017 engines within the next couple weeks. The aero kits will continue to be managed by VRR.
3) The series will be moving races away from Texas Motor Speedway and Circuit of the Americas. Those venues will be replaced by Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway respectively.

This thing is a little more serious. I am actively seeking possible backup into who can record these races in the event that our primary crew is for whatever unable to. I'm not going to lie, these last few weeks have been very frustrating and irritating. The methodology behind how everything is done is that I run the races, do the reports, and then make the full thing available to them to download with the race logos and report there with it. In fact, they currently have access to up to Belle Isle, with Mosport and Trois-Rivieres on my flash drive ready to be put on Mediafire. They've had this particular string of races available to them since March 20th and they had Barber back in very early February. Which makes me ask the very genuine question of why aren't these things getting done? There have been weekends where they legitimately couldn't do anything. But those are not frequent. So to completely miss Barber to me is a bit of a kick to the gut. This crew is also supposed to do the Coca-Cola Truck Series, and so as a fan, this is concerning, but as an organizer, this is a nightmare that I finally have to step in and be a dictator about. There needs to be a backup option, so I am actively looking for someone who can edit and record these races with commentary as backup for this series and as a possible primary crew for the Coca-Cola Truck Series depending on Steph's approval. And while this is out of my hands from the moment I hand over the different race replays to them, I can't help but to bear the base of the load of fault for when they fail. So if anyone has the capabilities to do such, please feel free to contact me privately so we can work things out.

Clayton Hardy could be seen everywhere around the track today, and why not, he's the hometown kid. The Maysville, Kentucky born driver has a giant following in the state, and has tremendous momentum behind him. He won the last oval event at Homestead-Miami, and feels that he shouldn't be overlooked. "This is my home. Some people circle Long Beach, or Sonoma, or Pocono, or Michigan, or Fontana, but this is where I've always wanted to race outside of Indy. I finally get to do that, and it's a fantastic feeling to be at home." When asked about the pressure, he had no hesitation. "It rivals Indy. For me, a lot of these fans are rallying for me to have a great finish, which is more pressure than I've felt in a long time. We have to deliver not only just me but as a team. Failure is not an option this weekend."

Really pleased we topped both practice sessions. Everything just clicked with us today and we got the setup just right for this track. However, we can't rest on our laurels with FP3 and a tough qualifying ahead.

Not Jesus' performance in anything besides the race, he's proven me wrong, one might say he's converted me, and now I'm a believer

Top 4 is a good starting position. We seem to have lots of qualifying pace when it comes to speedways. Here's hoping we can convert that into a good race result.

We are greatly disappointed with our qualifying effort, but if Practice showed anything, we have the speed to move through the field and maybe even contend for a race win! We have been showing more speed than pre-season showed so I'm hopeful for our season results.

Well that was disappointing. Running podium until a caution comes out, restart second and then go a lap down. As much as it has very nearly been a benefit to me, these restarts with lapped cars on the inside seem to really be messing up the leaders. Of the top 5 on the lap 42 restart, one car stayed on the lead lap pretty much directly because of the restart. The field got shuffled up so much that the top 5 was completely unrecognizable compared to before the restart. I don't know if it would have made a difference without, but the leaders would have been able to take the bottom lane if they wanted it. It was a good race but for me personally it got totally ruined while having what was definitely a race contending run even possibly a winning run taken away due to lapped cars blocking up the inside lane.
Reporter: You finished 11th tonight, how does that feel?
CL: Like crap. This car was amazing, I took it from 19th to the top 5 in the 3 laps right after the start. There was no question to me that we should have been on the podium but we weren't. That crap restart after the 3rd caution killed our chances, If I could have gotten to the bottom everything probably would have been fine. The crew did their job perfectly, they got me back out ahead of where I was coming in but that appears to have been our demise.
Reporter: Is there anything you can take from this and be positive about?
CL: Yes, we have fast cars in the races so maybe we can snag a win. If we could stop getting screwed over by cautions I think we'd be on our way to be in contention more.

So the bad luck continues. I don't know what happened went wrong but the car felt like it was running really underpowered. We tried all sorts of settings but couldn't figure out the issue as to why we were suddenly so slow. So much so that we needed to take the decision to withdraw the car as we were becoming a dangerous liability for the rest of the field.

Full points standings can be found in the OP.

Back