[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments
  • 151,177 views

How should the driver names be?


  • Total voters
    29
  • Poll closed .
From go- Nice to hear from y'all again, and 4-for-4 on posters...
Pace lap- ...the hell? What's with all these pace-lap failures?
Pace 2- I do hear the buzz, but It's not bad.
Lap 2- GO HUGO!
Lap 4- Oh stop, Clayton. Groveling will get you nowhere.
Lap 11- You guys are on point with the F1 discussion.
Lap 17- Could someone explain how I've gone from being best in FP2 to also-ran?
Lap 23- Sooo, I don't have to point out the amount of time kept on one driver anymore?.....LIKE WHAT YOU'RE DOING NOW?!
Lap 32- Caution...aaaand you stay with the leader...why do I say anything.
Replay- How? Lots of GRID 1.
Lap 35- Srsly. Again.
Lap 39- Yeah, everyone's raging now.
Lap 41- We'll call that the 'Texas Side-slip'
Lap 45- Glad I'm not the only one thinking of that song.
Lap 46- I don't think a Snickers is gonna change anything, Clayton
Lap 47- Kuni would probably pedal the car if possible.
Lap 48- *Gong*
Lap 53- The top 10 hasn't changed much all race.
Lap 54- cue Ben Stein "Woooow."
Lap 55- Bold call Clayton, let's see what happens.
Lap ??- Where'd he go?
Lap FFS- Alright, take the Cubans away from the officials.
Lap 63- So apparently St. P. has the same issue that Melbourne has IRL, You can't pass from right behind.
Lap 84- GOOO ANGEL!
Lap 95- *sigh* Alright, who's next in line for the booth? These fools decided to jump into the grave head first.
Lap 97- That one I believe.
Lap 105- .....RNG can go **** itself. At least no BS caution because of me.
Finish- Congrats to Del Prete on the win, and Ms. Jardine for being stuck behind him because you can't pass unless you can purely outpower them.
A bit later- I seem to recall setting the car on fire having to look at the checkers in the pits.

What ACTUALLY happened to my car. I was obviously not running at the end of that, what broke? ME? Did my brain finally seize?

Second: OK, what program do you use to work on the tracks? Something is fishy.

Third: I assume there is, but are the results being recorded?
 
From go- Nice to hear from y'all again, and 4-for-4 on posters...
Pace lap- ...the hell? What's with all these pace-lap failures?
Pace 2- I do hear the buzz, but It's not bad.
Lap 2- GO HUGO!
Lap 4- Oh stop, Clayton. Groveling will get you nowhere.
Lap 11- You guys are on point with the F1 discussion.
Lap 17- Could someone explain how I've gone from being best in FP2 to also-ran?
Lap 23- Sooo, I don't have to point out the amount of time kept on one driver anymore?.....LIKE WHAT YOU'RE DOING NOW?!
Lap 32- Caution...aaaand you stay with the leader...why do I say anything.
Replay- How? Lots of GRID 1.
Lap 35- Srsly. Again.
Lap 39- Yeah, everyone's raging now.
Lap 41- We'll call that the 'Texas Side-slip'
Lap 45- Glad I'm not the only one thinking of that song.
Lap 46- I don't think a Snickers is gonna change anything, Clayton
Lap 47- Kuni would probably pedal the car if possible.
Lap 48- *Gong*
Lap 53- The top 10 hasn't changed much all race.
Lap 54- cue Ben Stein "Woooow."
Lap 55- Bold call Clayton, let's see what happens.
Lap ??- Where'd he go?
Lap FFS- Alright, take the Cubans away from the officials.
Lap 63- So apparently St. P. has the same issue that Melbourne has IRL, You can't pass from right behind.
Lap 84- GOOO ANGEL!
Lap 95- *sigh* Alright, who's next in line for the booth? These fools decided to jump into the grave head first.
Lap 97- That one I believe.
Lap 105- .....RNG can go **** itself. At least no BS caution because of me.
Finish- Congrats to Del Prete on the win, and Ms. Jardine for being stuck behind him because you can't pass unless you can purely outpower them.
A bit later- I seem to recall setting the car on fire having to look at the checkers in the pits.

What ACTUALLY happened to my car. I was obviously not running at the end of that, what broke? ME? Did my brain finally seize?

Second: OK, what program do you use to work on the tracks? Something is fishy.

Third: I assume there is, but are the results being recorded?
Results were recorded and I need to update the points in the OP in the morning. The problem they were having was specifically with Nas' mix configuration to his laptop, and they used this specific configuration when they recorded the Florida races in one night. So Homestead will I assume be a bit of the same, but with a way shorter, more exciting race.
 
Results were recorded and I need to update the points in the OP in the morning. The problem they were having was specifically with Nas' mix configuration to his laptop, and they used this specific configuration when they recorded the Florida races in one night. So Homestead will I assume be a bit of the same, but with a way shorter, more exciting race.
I mean recorded as in a record book, like what I've got going for GTPFS.
 
REXRAGE.gif
 
I mean recorded as in a record book, like what I've got going for GTPFS.
I've been doing that. Wins, poles, laps led, laps completed, and beginning to do race earnings tracking.
 
Reminder that there is a competition for race logos for Indy and Auto Club this year.
 
Those looking forward to the doubleheader at Belle Isle will be given a different treat in May. The promoters behind the Belle Isle race have formalized a move that will see the street circuit receive only one race and have the other race moved to Michigan International Speedway the week before. Fans that have purchased tickets for the doubleheader will be able to use their tickets at both Michigan and Belle Isle Park. The new oval event will be 300 miles and will be sponsored by Chevrolet as well. This also clears the pending conflict of one of the original double header events clashing with the 100th Indianapolis 500 being run by the Verizon IndyCar Series on May 29th.
 
Michael Harrison: Welcome to the VRR Radio Show! We're four races into the VRR IndyCar season, with Homestead-Miami being the first American oval on the calendar this season. So who better to bring on the show today than Orlando-native, 2014 Formula One World Champ, and current iron maiden of the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series, Stephanie Porter-Kelley! Steph, glad to have you on the show today.
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: Glad to be here!
MH: First things first, how are you feeling?
SPK: Pretty good, been enjoying the two weeks I've been able to be home. It's been a great time being home.
MH: Many are considering your team as the dark horse in the championship already, with a giant display in Mexico, and the super quick lap at Surfer's. Motegi and St. Pete didn't go as planned, but with 20 races left, how can you get back on track?
SPK: Quite a question there. *laughs* Yeah, as a team, we're quite overpowered. Very overpowered when you compare Polaris to Cat Devil Racing. But I've had the experience to be able to work around the numbers game. Last I checked, I am the oldest currently in the field, which, don't get me wrong, is quite daunting when you think that I'm turning 29 this year, have two kids, and still doing this at all, let alone full time. Girls usually don't get that long of a peak at the top. I had a decent start to the season, got pole position for the season opener, got fourth at Mexico, but also got trapped in a crash at Motegi and just stayed safe and finished St. Pete. The season is still early, as you said, 20 races, not including Long Beach, and these upcoming races are going to be a treat for me. Homestead will be fun. I wouldn't be surprised if we run side by side all race. Tire testing proves it's possible, so I get to play the experience card there. Barber after that, and I love the very undulated road courses, so Barber is going to be fun regardless for me. Kentucky will be a mixed bag I think. I've seen test telemetry that says we'll be two, three wide all race, and then I've seen the same results say the opposite, so we probably won't be top notch shape there. Mid-Ohio will be nice. It's a fun track, a driver's track, so I feel confident there, and then there's Indy, and that doesn't need an explanation.
MH: That leads me straight to my next question. How do you feel about Michigan being on the calendar?
SPK: Mixed feelings there. My first impression of Michigan was of me flying in the air and getting a sprain and a concussion. So, I'm not excited as some are to be going back. I'm, to be really honest, not liking it at all. Yeah, it keeps the number of races the same, and clears up Memorial Day Sunday, but they've also removed a down week so we have something going on now from I think late April all the way into July. This isn't stock car racing where they can use the same cars over and over. If you get in a crash and damage the chassis, that can really put a team under, and they may not have a spare chassis on hold. I know I was worried when I crashed in Motegi because my first thought wasn't "how bad will the points hit be", but more of "is the chassis totaled and can I get a new one in time for Mexico", which luckily the chassis wasn't totaled and we were able to keep going.
MH: Do you have a chassis on stand by now?
SPK: Kinda, if using Lucas' chassis counts. Dallara is backed up as far as making everything goes. There's been so many crashes since we got to Bristol that we might have a spare at Indy if we are lucky.
MH: Is Dallara or VRR to blame you think?
SPK: Definitely not Dallara. They weren't expecting to have 20 chassis returned to them in a garbage truck, and we didn't expect the hold up. I'd rather them just keep doing what they are doing and just send us parts to replace everything if it keeps them moving fluently. I think VRR let too many idiots have a license to race. People like Ahmed, Birmingham, Harsk and Glover have already trashed more cars than we could make a field out of, which is sad because it shouldn't be that way...
MH: Even though Harsk and Ahmed have podiums?
SPK: Yeah, and earlier in Surfer's, both Ahmed and Harsk hit the tire barriers, then you include Ahmed's Bristol failures, and there's plenty, and then it all becomes a question of how long do you want to jeopardize the teams that actually bring talent to the table?
MH: Would you approve of VRR vetoing drivers entries in 2017?
SPK: In a heartbeat, it would be the best thing they've ever ratified. Give them a rookie season, and say they have a penalty point system in place, if you rack up too many points, you're moved from that series for a season.
MH: Do you think they will?
SPK: They honestly don't have the balls to. If they did, Ahmed wouldn't have arrived in Surfer's at all.
MH: Are you confident that VRR will reign in control and maybe levy fines?
SPK: I'd be in support of that too. I think VRR needs to do something. It may not affect teams like Black Rose, CDR, Cherokee, or TKU, but it'd definitely hurt everyone else, which should be the point of punishment. We'll see, and hope.
MH: How excited are you about 2017?
SPK: Very. I have a load of respect for Jamie, and being able to pick up Diego and Jacob for the races we can is a fantastic boost as well.
MH: 29 races or around that number next year? Yay or nay?
SPK: Depends on how prepared everyone gets. There's a few months for Dallara to work overtime to get extra chassis made. I think running from early February to Thanksgiving makes it easier to manage, but 29 is still a lot. But if what VRR is planning comes true, we'll have 26 or less in 2018 running from February to Thanksgiving, which is loads better. We just have to put confidence in VRR that the calendar makes sense, which it does. That's probably the best part of the series is the variety we go to. I think we just have to wait and see. We have the ability, and they have the leadership skills to get it done.
MH: We didn't get to see your kids at St. Pete, but will we see them at Homestead?
SPK: Yeah. *laughs* They'll be there. It'll be their first race, and it'll be at home so they won't be with their uncle this weekend.
MH: One last question before you go. Of all the tracks on the calendar this year, what track do you like the most?
SPK: That's a tough one, but I think I'm going to say Road America. It's such a cool place to race at, and you never know what you're walking into because the temperature affects the concrete and the blacktop so differently.
MH: Well, thanks for joining Steph and good luck on Saturday night. Stephanie Porter-Kelley! Remember to tune in Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Eastern for the Cafes do Brasil Indy 300 at Homestead-Miami Speedway!
 
Cat Devil Racing, reinforcing their desire to bump forward Asian prospects, will be bringing along Filipino driver Jerome Torres to most of the remaining 2016 events, beginning at Homestead-Miami this weekend. Torres, who is rumored to get a drive in 2017 with the team, will be attending all of the oval events and most road course events in the United States as well as the events in Brno and Lausitz. This program is also what is being done by Sakura Ishibashi and as such, they will be learning side by side.
 
When asked about his trackside opportunity with Cat Devil Racing for the rest of the 2016 season, Jerome Torres had this to say "While I can't confirm anything for the 2017 season just yet, it's certainly a positive sign for me to be able to experience this during this season, as it would help me prepare myself better to get into IndyCar. Coming from touring cars and GT racing, open wheels is almost entirely new to me so getting the chance to learn so much from this early is definitely more than welcome, and of course, I have Kunimitsu Kino****a to thank for this. I'll be sure to make to make the most out of it."
 
Those looking forward to the doubleheader at Belle Isle will be given a different treat in May. The promoters behind the Belle Isle race have formalized a move that will see the street circuit receive only one race and have the other race moved to Michigan International Speedway the week before. Fans that have purchased tickets for the doubleheader will be able to use their tickets at both Michigan and Belle Isle Park. The new oval event will be 300 miles and will be sponsored by Chevrolet as well. This also clears the pending conflict of one of the original double header events clashing with the 100th Indianapolis 500 being run by the Verizon IndyCar Series on May 29th.

Gahhh! My "Clever" race poster thwarted! Oh well, time for new ones.

SPK: Definitely not Dallara. They weren't expecting to have 20 chassis returned to them in a garbage truck, and we didn't expect the hold up. I'd rather them just keep doing what they are doing and just send us parts to replace everything if it keeps them moving fluently. I think VRR let too many idiots have a license to race. People like Ahmed, Birmingham, Harsk and Glover have already trashed more cars than we could make a field out of, which is sad because it shouldn't be that way...

I recall what happened at MIS. I also recall trying to find and strangle a certain driver once I finally got released from the hospital. As for Mrs. Porter-Kelley, I see how it is. Lot's of cars have been damaged this season, but the only CAR I've "trashed" was the one Harsk decided to play tag with...and that was at the MIS test, wasn't it. Even then, Dallara had to pry that one away from me because I was ready to take it racing, everything else has been bolt-ons either failing, like the gremlin that got us last week, or taking abuse beyond they're capacity, like Surfers and last years 500. That said, I here to give every iota I have to race and try to win and compete. If SPK doesn't think that's good enough to be worthy, so be it, but it's gonna take more than her word to keep me out of the garage.
 
I wonder which poor sod is going to be brave enough to keep scores on Team Porter vs Team Kino****a for the 2017 season...
 
I wonder which poor sod is going to be brave enough to keep scores on Team Porter vs Team Kino****a for the 2017 season...
Likely whoever does the points tallies.

I also found it amusing that Steph is taking a more of a heel role. Usually she's the head strong, balanced mediator, but here, she's definitely using the seniority card. Good to know we don't have to remind her about AARP discounts in the states. She's probably counting down the time if she remembers.
 
A formalized deal will see the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series move from the Circuit de Trois-Rivieres to Exhibition Place in Toronto beginning in 2017. Negotiations for Toronto to be on the calendar in 2016 fell through, which led to Trois-Rivieres getting the chance to shine this year. However, this move may not allow Trois-Rivieres to return to the calendar, as VRR and Toronto have signed a 4 year contract.
 
A formalized deal will see the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series move from the Circuit de Trois-Rivieres to Exhibition Place in Toronto beginning in 2017. Negotiations for Toronto to be on the calendar in 2016 fell through, which led to Trois-Rivieres getting the chance to shine this year. However, this move may not allow Trois-Rivieres to return to the calendar, as VRR and Toronto have signed a 4 year contract.

Hell-yeah-GIF.gif
 
Homestead-Miami is upon us. First American oval of the season.
Miami FP101.JPG
Miami FP102.JPG
Miami FP201.JPG
Miami FP202.JPG
Miami Qual01.JPG
Miami Qual02.JPG
 
The day started promisingly and then just went completely downhill. I'll be lucky to make any sort of progress.
 
And the bad news just keeps coming..
 
Cat Devil Racing suffered a devastating qualifying effort in Homestead-Miami on Friday, with Henna Venalainen being the team's only top 15 effort. Camyron Jackson qualified in 23rd, but more devastatingly, the team locked out the last row in the field with Steven Gnash qualifying 27th and Kunimitsu Kino****a qualifying in dead last. "We have absolutely no idea what went wrong." Kino****a said Friday night after cooling off. "In the second practice, we felt great. We felt like we were getting somewhere with our plans. Then we got completely wiped out in qualifying. But, in a bright note, we can kinda just throw caution to the wind now. We can't get any worse."
 
For the third time this season, Evangeline Porter will be starting in the top 6. But unlike the previous two times, including the only oval run so far where she was crashed, she's not being hopeful. "When you constantly have a top 5 car and just get thrown into the DNF heap, you begin to not care about qualifying. It's nice, but at an oval it really means ****." Porter said to reporters on Friday after qualifying concluded. "We'll see where we are after 300 miles tomorrow night."
 
Alex Rivera "We found something today in FP2 and it showed in qualifying. We feel like we have one of the best oval programs out there so we now just have to put together 300 miles."
 
YAY I DIDN'T GET WRECKED BY ANY OF YOU *******S! :lol:
 
Considering our starting position, our main objective was just to survive the race. The early laps started promisingly, including some stints at the front, but then it just went all downhill from there. We were at least lucky to finish this one.
 
Great. As if SPK needs any more bolstering.
 
After Starting on Pole, Robie was disappointed with a 10th Place Finish. "We had a great car, but things just didn't seem to go our way today, but our finishes have been getting better, and we can only hope for more to come this season."
 
Alex Rivera " Shame. We didn't think go to the back early and waiting was going to hurt us that bad. We could still got good points out of the day but the 67's right mirror was bent down from the earlier crash and just slammed us into the wall. Tried to keep going but it was shaking pretty bad and we didn't want to be hazard out there.
 
I didn't wreck for once. Smallest crum of comfort at this point on what has been a more or less crappy few days. Maybe I'll wreck again
 
Back