Wanna know how to drift? Ask here

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 204 comments
This is what happens when I attempt to drift
<---

No, really. I only start drifting when I'm ahead because drifting ain't fast. I only use it to keep things interesting.

This is what happens when I attempt to drift
<---

No, really. I only start drifting when I'm ahead because drifting ain't fast. I only use it to keep things interesting.

You sound like you don't know much at all about drifting, but that's OK! :D

Drifting is an entirely separate sport to "racing", in racing you shouldn't drift, and in drifting you shouldn't race! :lol:

If you want to learn how to drift or you're just here for a browse, regardless you should give these a watch;

Drift Bible (Bow down!):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

Casual track drifting: (2014)
https://www.facebook.com/116608508388392/videos/814090571973512/

Street drifting: (2006)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYqY2MNM54

Pro Competition drifting: (2015)

Just a taste of every "corner" of the drift world, if you care to watch.

👍

Last edited:
You sound like you don't know much at all about drifting, but that's OK! :D

Drifting is an entirely separate sport to "racing", in racing you shouldn't drift, and in drifting you shouldn't race! :lol:

If you want to learn how to drift or you're just here for a browse, regardless you should give these a watch;

Drift Bible (Bow down!):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

Casual track drifting: (2014)
https://www.facebook.com/116608508388392/videos/814090571973512/

Street drifting: (2006)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYqY2MNM54

Pro Competition drifting: (2015)

Just a taste of every "corner" of the drift world, if you care to watch.

👍

Awesome!! Haven't time to watch the top one at the moment but the others were excellent. I've seen the street drifting one a few times. Gets me giddy every time I watch it!!

I'm guessing I should ask my question in this thread; is it possible to hold an opposite lock drift easily through an entire corner on a DS3?

I've been trying this for a while and I can barely get it to happen or rarely, but I'm able to do so with my wheel. On the DS3 I always wind up in a chain of steering back and forth quickly through the corner.
Sorry for the late response, just saw this now.

To answer your question in short, yes, it is very possible to hold full lock on with a DS3 for extended periods without twitching the front wheels. Here's a few tips:

•easiest to hold full lock when you are at full throttle. This means that your speed and line entering the corner is crucial. If you place the car correctely, you shouldn't need to make any corrections. This is not easy, and takes a lot of practice. Suzuka is a good place to practice this.

• tune can make a big difference. I run fairly soft rear springs and dampers, and then tweak the rear toe to find a comfortable feel for the rear of the car. The feeling that you are searching for is one where the rear of the car feels planted, or "locked in" when you are at angle.

• getting good forward bite from the rear is important, but you never want the rear to have more grip than the front. The big key is to tune the suspension to have forward bite, but for the front to have enough grip at full lock to turn that forward bite into lateral acceleration. If the forward bite overpowers the front grip, the car will push to the inside, and you will have to make corrections.

• along with suspension, drivetrain and power delivery is key. You want your torque and power settings, along with your transmission setup, to delivery smooth, consistent power over a range of rpm. You need the drivetrain to be able to "pull out of the hole" as opposed to bog down when the rear locks in at angle, but you don't want so much power that going full throttle causes over rotation, or causes bouncing off the rev limiter. You want to find the sweet spot where you are at full throttle, the rpm hovers right in around your max power (as seen on the graph in the tuning menu). I've found that using about 3% to 8% power limited helps to level off the top of the power curve nicely, giving consistent power over a range of rpm.

Hold you throttle right below the max and don't let go, and counter steer obviously Your Welcome ;) I call it Universal throttle control

Not sure if this has been answered here.

I started some drifting events last night as ive now completed all racing events. I started with the first coffee break challenge in the S15.
Im using a T500 wheel and found it incredibly difficult to execute the handbrake using the wheel button whilst not hindering my steering wheel actions...
Is there any tips/advise or resolve for this issue?
Or does it require more practice and patience?

(Hopefully have a PC built soon and will hook up a handbrake)

Regards
Ads

I started some drifting events last night as ive now completed all racing events. I started with the first coffee break challenge in the S15.
Im using a T500 wheel and found it incredibly difficult to execute the handbrake using the wheel button whilst not hindering my steering wheel actions...

Regards
Ads

It's probably either get used to where the button is on the wheel or map the controls to a controller/another button on your wheel.

Hey all, I carry a msg of hope for all drift beginners,

Drifted today for the 1st time in my life on GT, got easy gold + felt in control of the car, the best pieces of advise from this thread were (for me) to enter the corner at the speed you normally would, use a properly tuned(for drifting) car and most of all don't butcher the throttle, you really need to play with it like it was an instrument!

Hope this helps

Regards
Ads
Don't use the handbrake, tune your car accordingly, @shaunm80 has some GREAT ones!

Don't use the handbrake, tune your car accordingly, @shaunm80 has some GREAT ones!
Thanks. I have a few drift tunes which I am proud off. I think what @FrenchOzzie meant was that for my tunes, using the e-brake isn't always necessary but if you are struggling to get the car sideways, it is always a surefire way to do just that quickly and effortlessly. :)

What... :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry but telling people to not use the ebrake is just silly.
Don't be sorry mate

The hand brake only caused me trouble, systematically sending me spinning around.

Someone on this thread recommended to stay away from it and as a beginner that advice helped a lot, but again it worked for me, might not work for everyone, reason why I said these worked for me.

Whatever floats your boat...

Anyone keen for some drift sessions sometime? Im just getting back into it and it's a bit weird with a g29 cause apparently the h pattern don't work with PS3? Anyone know about this? *looking for drifters with wheels*

Anyone keen for some drift sessions sometime? Im just getting back into it and it's a bit weird with a g29 cause apparently the h pattern don't work with PS3? Anyone know about this? *looking for drifters with wheels*
Try a detailed car with a shifter. For some stupid reason someone decided it'd be a great idea to not let you have H shifter compatibility if you're in a simple car with a fully customizable transmission. It's like that for all wheels.

Don't be sorry mate

The hand brake only caused me trouble, systematically sending me spinning around.

Someone on this thread recommended to stay away from it and as a beginner that advice helped a lot, but again it worked for me, might not work for everyone, reason why I said these worked for me.

Whatever floats your boat...

Handbrake is good to use in general, really a tool to help extend the angle of your drift 👍

Mostly just need a good car with a good tune

Drift tune library should help you out 👍

If you're lucky enough to be practicing with a wheel and an e-brake that you can pull, you might have to pull it in quick bursts vs. pulling it and holding it (to avoid too much oversteer and a full spinout). This could help you control the amount you are sliding. Pulling the e-brake is creating oversteer by deceleration, so it is a good technique to use in situations where you want to slow down by slowing down the rotation of the rear tires. It could be used both during a drift or to initiate a drift

How can I be a smoother drifter on DS3? I've been drifting on GT6 for years now and I learned very fast. I consider myself to be pretty good, above average. I'm not super twitchy but I want to be completely smooth. Yumi, Nar and Nitto are good examples of what I wish to be. Does anyone have any tips?

How can I be a smoother drifter on DS3? I've been drifting on GT6 for years now and I learned very fast. I consider myself to be pretty good, above average. I'm not super twitchy but I want to be completely smooth. Yumi, Nar and Nitto are good examples of what I wish to be. Does anyone have any tips?

Have you tried rotating the analog stick around the bottom slowly instead of just moving it left and right ?

That's just a guess though, I've never used a controller before.

Back