War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

I play on PS4 so that won't be an option. Though if a similar event comes along, whether it's possible to trade a ground or navy vehicle for a plane on PS4 I don't know. I have the only tank I'd really want, the AC IV Thunderbolt. Otherwise I'm mostly in to aviation.
This time, players were assembling planes (I-180S) and were able to trade them for another reward - VFW or Project 122bis (for one figher), or Merkava, Ju.288 or HMS Tiger (after assembling 3 planes). PS4 players were able to choose the reward, too, there was no need for Marketplace.

Most events have rewards for both tankers and pilots (and since recently - sailors, too). In most cases they require some sort of skill (such as "Chronicles of WWII" event just a year ago), but in the "Battlefield Engineer" you simply recieved parts by spending time in combat with 50% activity.

Has anyone got tips for how to fly a plane like the Spitfire on realistic controls? It's so easy for it to lose control, like "use 40% of the stick and you're in trouble", or at least that's how it feels to me.
Lose control? You mean your pilot faints because of G-force, or your plane stalls?

Has anyone got tips for how to fly a plane like the Spitfire on realistic controls? It's so easy for it to lose control, like "use 40% of the stick and you're in trouble", or at least that's how it feels to me.
Realistic controls? I've only used mouse aim (unless it was in Sim) but coupled with MEC.

I don't know about the spits but most times you're slapping the stick one way, leveling it out, and then countering it to roll at least. Using the elevators though is different. It's usually a progressive application and release.

Lose control? You mean your pilot faints because of G-force, or your plane stalls?

As in the plane spins out. Combat flaps help with this on other planes to make it very manageable, but those Spitfires are damn dangerous, they don't even have combat flaps.

As in the plane spins out. Combat flaps help with this on other planes to make it very manageable, but those Spitfires are damn dangerous, they don't even have combat flaps.
Then you should enable the Instructor, it's available in Realistic mode.

World War mode is finally here! Open beta test starts tomorrow.

The recent Shooting Range episode tells briefly about what will it be like:

Finally, some varierty to the gameplay.

Really enjoying this game at the moment, aside from the totally broken assist mechanics and general kill stealing. I got my first Fw 190, the A1 obviously, then the A4 just after. I was never much of a warbird buff before playing this game, being more in to jets previously, so it's been real fun learning about the different planes. I've been watching all different docos. I love flying the Boomerangs.

I bought the weebcopter (AH-1S Kisarazu) and a weebtank (Mitsubishi Type 74 Kai) in a pack with 30% discount.
Challenging, but fun. My most expensive single-time purchase in War Thunder, but it was worth it.

A couple short videos of a couple of my better experiences. Is anyone else on here playing on PS4 and not using mouse aim? Mouse aim obviously makes life FAR easier, but then you aren't flying the plane yourself. I wish there were lobbies that excluded it while still allowing 3rd person and target markers just like RB. @Leonidae@MFT and I have been teaming up a lot, it's a lot more fun with squad members in comms. If any other PS4 players (easier to see who's online, use party chat) would like some wingmen, I'm open ears.

@GTPorsche

Screenshot_20190811-123241_YouTube.jpg

@11:50

That plane is too good for what it is in that video, but hey, gotta build up the hype for it before the rest of the players have access to it and it gets properly balanced.

Edit: Had no idea it is at 5.3, but that's too low for any jet. Should be at least 6.3.

Four tanks of the German tank tree - Panther II, Tiger II (10.5 cm), Flakpanzer 341 Coelian and, more importantly, Maus, will be removed from the tree in 1.91 update, and will become unique vehicles that are impossible to research.
Clip2net_190808152622_2875e4c5fd5c085914f2fafe142d3265.png

Players who already own these tanks won't lose them, and if you start their research before the 1.91 update, you'll be able to continue it later. So, if you don't have the Maus and/or any other tanks of this list, you have ~2 weeks to start researching them.

Looks like the China tech tree, or what SlickBee affectionately called the ctrl+v tech tree, is finally opening up to the rest of the world. While most of the tanks are from other countries, I think it's going to add a really neat dynamic in that you can get line ups running US, Russian and Japanese tanks. I havent seen the aviation tree yet, but I dont suppose it's going to look much different. Lots of other countries tech with a few if their own peppered in.

Looks like the China tech tree, or what SlickBee affectionately called the ctrl+v tech tree, is finally opening up to the rest of the world. While most of the tanks are from other countries, I think it's going to add a really neat dynamic in that you can get line ups running US, Russian and Japanese tanks. I havent seen the aviation tree yet, but I dont suppose it's going to look much different. Lots of other countries tech with a few if their own peppered in.

Check out Phlydaily's MiG-21 video. He briefly compares the Chinese counterpart. The only key difference being that the Chinese version has twin cannons.

But for the most part they really are copy paste co-productions with maybe tiny tweaks here and there.

Video:

Im guessing sounds have been tweaked this passed update? Cannons on tanks seem to sound a whole lot better.
I've actually jumped deep back into this game. Picked up the Sd. KFZ 140 pack for the "cheap" GE and premium. I happen to be working on the German line up and have just started the grind so the 140 was a nice topper as well.

Im guessing sounds have been tweaked this passed update? Cannons on tanks seem to sound a whole lot better.
I've actually jumped deep back into this game. Picked up the Sd. KFZ 140 pack for the "cheap" GE and premium. I happen to be working on the German line up and have just started the grind so the 140 was a nice topper as well.

Oh yes, proper afterburner modelling and sound, proper tank engine and cannon sounds etc

Since my last post in October I have been trying g to get at least an hour in on the game every night. For a little while there, I nearly gave up, only driving on because I spent money on a premium. It was getting frustrating going out, getting your whole line smeared and only having a kill or 2, if at all, to show for it. These past few days though feels like patience and perseverance are starting to pay off. I had a 10 kill game yesterday, and have been averaging around 4 to 7 kills a game and only losing 1 or 2 tanks. This of course has been mostly games at around the 2.0 br level. With the B1 BIS.... that tank can bounce! I've been hammering away at the French line up. I just unlock the M4A1, and will am working on the M10. I am considering setting up a separate line up for those, and just keep playing my 2.0 line up until I unlock the ARL and AMX.

Since my last post in October I have been trying g to get at least an hour in on the game every night. For a little while there, I nearly gave up, only driving on because I spent money on a premium. It was getting frustrating going out, getting your whole line smeared and only having a kill or 2, if at all, to show for it. These past few days though feels like patience and perseverance are starting to pay off. I had a 10 kill game yesterday, and have been averaging around 4 to 7 kills a game and only losing 1 or 2 tanks. This of course has been mostly games at around the 2.0 br level. With the B1 BIS.... that tank can bounce! I've been hammering away at the French line up. I just unlock the M4A1, and will am working on the M10. I am considering setting up a separate line up for those, and just keep playing my 2.0 line up until I unlock the ARL and AMX.
You're better off playing the highest vehicles you have to research most effectively. If you stay in a BR range of, oh 3.0-5.0, but you're researching 7.0+, or the reverse, you loose out on the research bonuses. I think it's a bit BS how it works in reverse (10.0 researching 1.0) after I realized that in my Leopard 2A4 it had taken me nearly 10 games to get enough RP for a 2.0 BR tank...

You're better off playing the highest vehicles you have to research most effectively. If you stay in a BR range of, oh 3.0-5.0, but you're researching 7.0+, or the reverse, you loose out on the research bonuses. I think it's a bit BS how it works in reverse (10.0 researching 1.0) after I realized that in my Leopard 2A4 it had taken me nearly 10 games to get enough RP for a 2.0 BR tank...
Right now I am playing at where my skill level is. I find when I start getting up into the 4 to 5.0 range, I become outclassed. Or, well, I did. I have been doing much better and had a couple of good games in the M4 and M10 last night. Of course, I also got smashed a time or two. The B1 makes me to aggressive when playing something like the m10. I did a lot better once I started bunkering down and sniping targets.
Thanks for the tip on the research, I had no idea about that. Do you happen to know if it's by rank or by br? I gotta imagine it's by rank.

Thanks for the tip on the research, I had no idea about that. Do you happen to know if it's by rank or by br? I gotta imagine it's by rank.
It depends on the rank.
The research is the most efficient for a vehicle of your own rank +- 1. For example, you can effectively research a T-54 (rank V) when playing on a T-44 (IV) or IS-3 (V). But if you try to research the T-64 (rank VI) on a rank IV tank, you'll be getting a penalty (the more the difference of ranks, the less RP you get for the vehicle being researched). Works in reverse, too - researching the SU-57B (rank III) will be much more effective on the T-34 1941 (II), T-34-57 (III) or IS-2 (IV) than on the T-80U (rank VII).

For premium vehicles, it also works like this for higher ranks, but not lower. The T54E1 (rank V) can research all American ground vehicles of I-VI ranks without penalty, such as the M13 MGMC (I), M4A1 (II), M18 (III), M26 (IV), M47 (V) and even M1 Abrams (VI), but not M1A1 (VII).

In other words, the most efficiently researched rank is:
For standard tanks/aircraft/ships: X +- 1
For premium vehicles: no higher than X + 1
(X is the rank of the vehicle you play).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm done with this. It's not the game, it is me. It seems like I cannot play on anything besides arcade, and trying to do that and earn enough XP to ace the crew on each plane is impossible for someone sub-scrub tier to manage without 100s of hours. I like the game, but not that much, and I don't like beating my head against a wall. Hopefully it keeps a strong presence for y'all, but honestly I'm tired of sucking all the time.

Yeah, I'm done with this. It's not the game, it is me. It seems like I cannot play on anything besides arcade, and trying to do that and earn enough XP to ace the crew on each plane is impossible for someone sub-scrub tier to manage without 100s of hours. I like the game, but not that much, and I don't like beating my head against a wall. Hopefully it keeps a strong presence for y'all, but honestly I'm tired of sucking all the time.
I feel ya man. Without a premium account, grinding through vics can take a long time for anything over rank 2. Even with a premium account the grind can really suck. I've been playing since 2013 and I dont have a modern tank nor helicopters or even a jet. And honestly, I am ok with that. I enjoy the low tier battles. BR 1.3-3 is my sweet spot. Probably because I also tend to suck, so I am with like skilled players, where the higher the BR, generally, the better the player.

Came back to it, been playing a bit, no real progress. Realistic isn't being too horrid...BUT I just had a mission, got a kill in a P-26, then not three seconds later I got sniped by another guy...who had crashed landed when he killed me. FFS.

I feel ya man. Without a premium account, grinding through vics can take a long time for anything over rank 2. Even with a premium account the grind can really suck. I've been playing since 2013 and I dont have a modern tank nor helicopters or even a jet. And honestly, I am ok with that. I enjoy the low tier battles. BR 1.3-3 is my sweet spot. Probably because I also tend to suck, so I am with like skilled players, where the higher the BR, generally, the better the player.

I'm back into the game, for the New Year event (my desired rewards are Polikarpov TIS MA and Merkava Mk.II) after a long break.
I play since 2013, too, but I have jets of three nations (USSR, USA and Japan), helicopters of four (USSR, USA, Japan and Germany) and somewhat modern tanks of USSR (with T-80B being the top) and Japan (the premium Type 74G Kai).

My favourite battles to play are Realistic Ground Battles of BR 3.7-4.7. They're dynamic and the average combat distance is quite close. The higher the BR, the longer the guns' range is, and the larger the maps are, so the combat distance is longer. Not only that it demands better skills of aiming and calculating the distance, but it also makes you drill the monitor with your eyes if you want to spot the enemy behind bushes (especially on maps like Kursk or Fulda with huge open spaces).

The rank VI-VII (modern tanks) battles are dynamic and fun in their own way, but can also be frustrating because of bugged damage model, when you pierce an Abrams or Leopard 2 twice barely doing any damage, and in response they one-shot kill your T-80 (but Western players still complain about "Russian bias"). However, this seems to become better in the latest version (compared to when I played earlier). The helicopters are somewhat balanced and not as terrible to play as they were year ago. My prayers were heard and the Mi-24D has 9.3 BR now (so it doesn't face SAMs too often, they were moved to 10.3).

However, the Realistic Air Battles are annoying, 6 years old and still no major changes. Except supersonic fighters with air-to-air missiles (such as Phantom and MiG-21), but they'll take a LOT of time to get to. To research them without penalty, you need to play on the rank V jets (F-84, MiG-15, etc), the gameplay of which is a complete pain in the ass, especially for a beginner.
That's why the RAB mode has merged Allies vs Axis teams so often (e.g. USA+USSR+France vs Germany+Japan on Normandy map), because the amount of players in air battles is decreasing. Earlier, the teams used to depend on the map (US vs Japan on Midway, USSR vs Reich in Stalingrad, etc), but now such matches are rarity. Sadly.

Anyway, I'm on my way to the Merkava Mk.2, an Israeli tank in the US tree, with 9.0 battle rating. Will be decent to play ground RB's along with FJ-4B and UH-1B (when I research it) in the setup.

Hey guys, just tried the game online a little. Looks well made, it says you can play solo in dynamic, historic and single missions, but do you need to progress online it seems to unlock them?
I was hoping you can purchase the use of solo play at least for those.
Anyone can tell how it plays? Is the ai fun to play etc..
I noticed you can buy 2 historical campaigns only it seems. Plus points, can you use those to unlock the other campaigns?
Edit: Well i read that its pretty bad solo..

Last edited:
Back