War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by II-zOoLoGy-II, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Rage Racer

Rage Racer

I'm looking forward to try MiG-3. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MeanElf

MeanElf

So it'll release along with, or not long after the PS4 does - very happy about that. I'll be keeping myself busy catching up with BoS and then GT6 until then.

I actually found that GT5 has helped my flying style on Sim difficulty :) Thanks for the vid link about Anton by the way.

3. MarinaDiamandis

MarinaDiamandis Premium

So they're claiming realism but adding an aircraft that never saw combat... :ouch:

Leave the prototypes and experimental aircraft to World of Warplanes, please!

4. Rage Racer

Rage Racer

Hmm, I didn't see any info about XP-55 in WT.
    I only know about MiG-3 15 series and LaGG-3 66 series in the next update.

5. MeanElf

MeanElf

I know that IL-2 Sturmovik: BoP had at least one plane that barely saw combat, the Heinkel He 162. I don't think Gaijin worry too much about that sort of thing though. Like I've said before, if you can select a Yak for a mission over Dover...

6. Leonidae@MFT

Leonidae@MFT Premium

It has been available for testing on the dev server with a gaggle of other planes, such as XP-50, Curtiss Hawk (couple variations). This guy has done a pile of videos about them:

7. Rage Racer

Rage Racer

Ah, I get it now. Thanks. :)

8. MarinaDiamandis

MarinaDiamandis Premium

But it did see combat, that's the important part. We have real historical accounts of how they flew, how they fought, their shortcomings, the tactics used against them, etc.

Gaijin is claiming that they are going for realism, the minute that they start adding prototype aircraft and guessing at how they would perform in combat, they lose that completely. Let's leave that to WoW.

A Yak fighting over Dover is completely different to adding near-fantasy aircraft.

9. Lizard

Lizard Premium

They can use test data though. Those planes had loads of data recorded about how they flew so they could be improved/justified. This is what they use to make the flight model and how it is flown is up to the player.

10. MeanElf

MeanElf

True indeed, they have been a lot of experimental aircraft flown in trials and data was duly collected which would be useful to guide Gaijin with. I also understand the point in regard to realism, but I'm not sure that's the kind of realism they were meaning - their comment is more about flying physics I gathered.

I could be very wrong of course, as I've barely skimmed this thread (not having a gaming PC - I didn't anticipate ever getting to play it before now :sly:) I shall have to rectify that, as I now have questions.

EDIT: Okay, so I caught up and I didn't find an answer to my question. Can anyone who is playing the Beta tell me if the bomber gun situation is improved from the previous titles. I remember reading that Gaijin wanted to improve that from just the dorsal gunner to include other positions too...with FP viewpoint too - or was I dreaming that?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  11. Rage Racer

Rage Racer

When you switch to the gun firing mode on a bomber, the gunner position is switched automatically when you enter the firing range of another gunner. The same was in Birds of Prey as well. For example, if you fly a He-111H-6 and turn the firing camera forward, the front gunner will be active. If you point it back or aside, you'll be able to use the rear or side gunners. Did you mean that?
    However, there's still no FP view for gunners, but I think it would prevent you from switching gunner positions quickly in a combat situation.

12. MeanElf

MeanElf

Yes indeed, that is what I meant - thanks.

I take it you played the PC version of BoP though? That feature wasn't in the consoles version (unless I completely overlooked it.) You just have the dorsal gunner which always seems more limited due to the tailplane. The FP aspect isn't so important for me, I just wanted to be able to use the tail gunner, especially as on the bigger bombers they're double or quad-guns instead of a single.

Thanks again for the reply though.

13. Rage Racer

Rage Racer

No, I played the PS3 version of BoP. And I remember it exactly. Take a He-111 and give it a try. :)

14. MeanElf

MeanElf

Okay, will do :)

15. Rage Racer

Rage Racer

Have you tried the recent update? I love that new MiG-3. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The XP-55 Ascender is a premium aircraft and costs 3900 of gold, so I think we won't be seeing them in combat very often. I've tried it and I didn't like it. It's very unstable and hard to maneuver - very easy to spin. Even taking off requires care.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Leonidae@MFT

Leonidae@MFT Premium

Well, it IS an experimental plane from the era when nothing was fly by wire, which is what unstable Canard configuration with backwards swept wings requires. Bit of practice and it is very effective fighter.

17. dr_slump

dr_slump Premium

Can't wait for the PS4 version :)

EvanJamesLee likes this.
  18. Lizard

Lizard Premium

Edit now gone as it was quite poor even by my standards.
    I promiss a better one soon.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. MeanElf

MeanElf

During Gamescom Gaijin will be announcing and showing stuff about the PS4 version. I can dig up a link if anyone needs the proof. Cross-platform play and action spread across land sea or air :tup:

20. Lizard

Lizard Premium

This is certainly an interesting trailer.

Now after that I want them to make a film as well.

21. Leonidae@MFT

Leonidae@MFT Premium

Update 1.35 is available!

22. Lizard

Lizard Premium

The commentary is in Russian but some great tank gameplay here. Also shows a bit of plane and tank interaction.

23. MarinaDiamandis

MarinaDiamandis Premium

Is looking awesome. The cook-offs and ammo rack explosions look great, and I cannot wait to see how aircraft fair versus AA vehicles.

24. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

German & Soviet tank trees have been revealed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As well as a new soundtrack that will be added when ground forces are released.

25. Ddrizle

Ddrizle

This is Looking pretty nice.

26. G.T.Ace

G.T.Ace

Does the game have native controller support?

27. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

Yes, but from what I understand it's not very good. Hopefully it'll improve when the game is released for PS4.

28. MeanElf

MeanElf

I must have missed the posts on armoured warfare - damn this is my ideal game and it's not too long before the PS4 version is out either - excellent looking maps.

29. Lizard

Lizard Premium

Not just that. Player controlled ships will be coming at some point as well.

30. MeanElf

MeanElf

Yeah, I'm not quite as excited about ships as I am the tanks...and of course the planes :cool: but cheers for the heads-up :tup: