War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

I'm looking forward to try MiG-3. :)
5(1).jpg

2(1).jpg

4(1).jpg

6(1).jpg

Woot! XP-55 Ascender (fondly called 'ass-ender' by the test pilots) will be added in the next update.

300px-Curtiss_XP-55_Ascender_in_flight_061024-F-1234P-007.jpg

So they're claiming realism but adding an aircraft that never saw combat... :ouch:

Leave the prototypes and experimental aircraft to World of Warplanes, please!

Hmm, I didn't see any info about XP-55 in WT.
I only know about MiG-3 15 series and LaGG-3 66 series in the next update.

So they're claiming realism but adding an aircraft that never saw combat... :ouch:

Leave the prototypes and experimental aircraft to World of Warplanes, please!
I know that IL-2 Sturmovik: BoP had at least one plane that barely saw combat, the Heinkel He 162. I don't think Gaijin worry too much about that sort of thing though. Like I've said before, if you can select a Yak for a mission over Dover...

Hmm, I didn't see any info about XP-55 in WT.
I only know about MiG-3 15 series and LaGG-3 66 series in the next update.

It has been available for testing on the dev server with a gaggle of other planes, such as XP-50, Curtiss Hawk (couple variations). This guy has done a pile of videos about them:

I know that IL-2 Sturmovik: BoP had at least one plane that barely saw combat, the Heinkel He 162. I don't think Gaijin worry too much about that sort of thing though. Like I've said before, if you can select a Yak for a mission over Dover...

But it did see combat, that's the important part. We have real historical accounts of how they flew, how they fought, their shortcomings, the tactics used against them, etc.

Gaijin is claiming that they are going for realism, the minute that they start adding prototype aircraft and guessing at how they would perform in combat, they lose that completely. Let's leave that to WoW.

A Yak fighting over Dover is completely different to adding near-fantasy aircraft.

They can use test data though. Those planes had loads of data recorded about how they flew so they could be improved/justified. This is what they use to make the flight model and how it is flown is up to the player.

True indeed, they have been a lot of experimental aircraft flown in trials and data was duly collected which would be useful to guide Gaijin with. I also understand the point in regard to realism, but I'm not sure that's the kind of realism they were meaning - their comment is more about flying physics I gathered.

I could be very wrong of course, as I've barely skimmed this thread (not having a gaming PC - I didn't anticipate ever getting to play it before now :sly:) I shall have to rectify that, as I now have questions.

EDIT: Okay, so I caught up and I didn't find an answer to my question. Can anyone who is playing the Beta tell me if the bomber gun situation is improved from the previous titles. I remember reading that Gaijin wanted to improve that from just the dorsal gunner to include other positions too...with FP viewpoint too - or was I dreaming that?

Last edited:
When you switch to the gun firing mode on a bomber, the gunner position is switched automatically when you enter the firing range of another gunner. The same was in Birds of Prey as well. For example, if you fly a He-111H-6 and turn the firing camera forward, the front gunner will be active. If you point it back or aside, you'll be able to use the rear or side gunners. Did you mean that?
However, there's still no FP view for gunners, but I think it would prevent you from switching gunner positions quickly in a combat situation.

Yes indeed, that is what I meant - thanks.

I take it you played the PC version of BoP though? That feature wasn't in the consoles version (unless I completely overlooked it.) You just have the dorsal gunner which always seems more limited due to the tailplane. The FP aspect isn't so important for me, I just wanted to be able to use the tail gunner, especially as on the bigger bombers they're double or quad-guns instead of a single.

Thanks again for the reply though.

Have you tried the recent update? I love that new MiG-3. :)
iQgbfNcVFdo.jpg

NuLn-JitS7c.jpg

The XP-55 Ascender is a premium aircraft and costs 3900 of gold, so I think we won't be seeing them in combat very often. I've tried it and I didn't like it. It's very unstable and hard to maneuver - very easy to spin. Even taking off requires care.
HDN4Ez7EpNc.jpg

dKtx7I6KATo.jpg

2p7mdDuIomE.jpg

Well, it IS an experimental plane from the era when nothing was fly by wire, which is what unstable Canard configuration with backwards swept wings requires. Bit of practice and it is very effective fighter.

Edit now gone as it was quite poor even by my standards.
I promiss a better one soon.

Last edited:
During Gamescom Gaijin will be announcing and showing stuff about the PS4 version. I can dig up a link if anyone needs the proof. Cross-platform play and action spread across land sea or air 👍

This is certainly an interesting trailer.

Now after that I want them to make a film as well.

Update 1.35 is available!

Pilots, we present the War Thunder update 1.35.

War Thunder update 1.35 introduces a new gameplay element – Events mode. Events mode includes special battles with custom parameters. In Events mode, players can recreate historical battles, try new missions and maps, or use familiar maps with customized flight model settings. War Thunder pilots have the ability not only to choose which side of the conflict they are on and which aircraft to use in battle, but also to evaluate their opponent's strength – where, against whom, and in what mode they will fight.

Events mode allows us to experiment with new and familiar game missions. For example, to use the [Operation] Korea map in Arcade mode or to fight it in simulation mode in the Rice Terraces arcades. Moreover, the game modes themselves can now have unusual, interesting settings – for example, an arcade without the ability to respawn, historical battles in which weapons can be reloaded while flying, battles with a limited number of respawns. This kind of freedom to customize settings gives players a fresh perspective on familiar missions and tactical techniques.
Read more about this mode here in our «Developer's Diaries: Events mode»

Traditionally, every major update adds new aircraft. This time in the U.S. Air Force hangar we have two top-tier «Sabre» F-86 jets, including F-86F-2 with its formidable cannons. An additional US piston engined aircraft, a new version of the Curtiss P- 36 «Hawk» modification G with an improved rate of climb.

New aircraft for Soviet pilots: The basic La-5 and La-5F modified with forced induction engine and improved visibility to the rear. An addition in the lend-lease program for the USSR is an American medium bomber B-25J-30 Mitchell with Soviet stars on the wings, this has taken its place in the lineup of premium aircraft. In the hangar, a new modification of the single-engine fighter has been added — Yak -3P with a rare red camouflage equipped with three 20mm cannons.

Updating the Luftwaffe fleet in the hangar — the first version of «Emile» Bf.109 E-1 at tier 5, starts the lineup of the legendary «Messerschmitt» single-engine fighters. We also have a new four cannon fighter: Focke-Wulf Fw.190A- 5 which has entered at tier 10 for Germany. The same machine, but with Japanese identification markings, is entered in the premium aircraft of Japan lineup: Fw.190A-5/U-3. The Japanese pilots receive new heavy fighters — premium Ki- 96, armed with two 20mm guns and one 37mm cannon, also the Ki-102, which in addition to the two 20mm cannon has the most powerful gun caliber — the 57mm gun with loaded with 16 fragmentation high-explosive shells. Enemy bombers are in big trouble!

New maps for arcade mode — «[Ground strike] Paradise Island» and «[Ground strike] Green Ridge». The first — a large, spacious map, created after the terrain of the island of Guam. «Paradise Island» is the first mission with special targets for strategic bombers — enemy bases. The second — a mountain map with deep fjords — perfect for maneuver battles. On some of our familiar maps we naow have numerous changes, corrections, and customization in the behavior of ground vehicles.

The War Thunder v.1.35 introduces a system of titles — the in-game ahchievements markings that pilots receive for performing specific tasks. The tab "Titles "is now available in the player profile. The title of the pilot appears under the name of War Thunder pilot — it's a great way to show off their success in front of friends or intimidate the enemy!

These and many other innovations are waiting for all pilots War Thunder in the 1.35 update. Fly and win! Props Away!See the full list of changes in Change Log.

The commentary is in Russian but some great tank gameplay here. Also shows a bit of plane and tank interaction.

Is looking awesome. The cook-offs and ammo rack explosions look great, and I cannot wait to see how aircraft fair versus AA vehicles.

German & Soviet tank trees have been revealed!

wartandr.jpg

Jgk17kE.jpg

As well as a new soundtrack that will be added when ground forces are released.

I must have missed the posts on armoured warfare - damn this is my ideal game and it's not too long before the PS4 version is out either - excellent looking maps.

I must have missed the posts on armoured warfare - damn this is my ideal game and it's not too long before the PS4 version is out either - excellent looking maps.
Not just that. Player controlled ships will be coming at some point as well.

Back