Watch This First On-Board Look at GT Sport's New Wet Weather Track

Looks a bit low rent, grainy reflections and just a 2D mask on the windshield. It's better than nothing, but games like ACC, PCars and Forza 7 are definitely a step above in both visuals and physics effects.

Err no !

Acc looks so bad in the rain. Forza 7 is extremely artificial, especially the lighting on the cars and pcars 2 is a generation behind in visual quality

CJ

Err no !

Acc looks so bad in the rain. Forza 7 is extremely artificial, especially the lighting on the cars and pcars 2 is a generation behind in visual quality

CJ
Everyone saying a game is a gen behind or a game looking next gen looses credibility in my opinion. There is no game looking next gen at this time and neither pCars2, FM7, GTS, ACC or F1 2019 look last gen.

Here is an reminder of the GT6 rain effects

Last edited:
Err no !

Ac looks so bad in the rain. Forza 7 is extremely artificial, especially the lighting on the cars and pcars 2 is a generation behind in visual quality

CJ
What? No, the only problem of ACC is the front windscreen water from the interior, the raindrops and some of the car shaders.

Overrall looks good.

Can't say I agree, PCars 2 also pushes something like 64 cars on track and dynamic ToD/Weather at the same time, GTS is using a baked solution.
I own PCars 2. It's a good game for sure and the Dynamic Weather plus Livetrack feature is something to commend.

With thay said, GTS won for its stableness at 60 fps. PCars2 often times fluctuate especially when alot of cars appeared on screen. It's GT6 all over again.

Forza 7 is stable at 60 fps with dynamic weather though. It's just the whole car and track model by itself isn't as good as GTS.

There's always something to cut back to reach it's own technical philosophy. And if I can remember GT5/6 dynamic time and weather isn't very good when you put it on time lapse. At some point the time or weather change there's a noticable sudden change in skybox, sun position, and shadow position instead of being actually fully dynamic.

NOTE: Apparently the GT6 time lapse video has been either buried or missing. I swear I saw that video long time ago. Anyone has a video?

Last edited:
Looks a bit low rent, grainy reflections and just a 2D mask on the windshield. It's better than nothing, but games like ACC, PCars and Forza 7 are definitely a step above in both visuals and physics effects.
PCars and Forza 7 rain are quite bad if you ask me. Forza look like some sort of hollywood movie, over the top, unrealistic, and the track look like rivers. PCars a similar thing, maybe not as much over the top with with a bit worse quality of visuals. GT Sport on the other hand looks very realistic (as usual), as if you are watching a real wet reace IRL.
Driveclub was better than those two but still you had a somewhat unrealistic movie-esque "perfect storm" with lots of lightning and ornamental stuff that you really dont see much IRL

Unless you were one of the competitors or folks there, you haven't experienced it first-hand, and I'd withhold final judgment until you have. *shrug*

That said, from what I've seen I don't think it'll top F1 2019's wet weather, in terms of visuals or physics — I honestly can't believe that light and heavy rain are identical from a physics perspective. For a feature that's nearly two years in the making (at least), that's... less than ideal.

One thing that surely gives PD the benefit over Codies though is having to deal with headlights. That's key to convincing visuals in the rain and it looks pretty good so far to me.

Hard to agree with that.
Yes, I might criticise other aspects of the Forza games, but the graphics always seem pretty outstanding to me, FH4 more than FM7, but I'm struggling to see this as "extremely artificial" compared to other current games:

And you have to bear in mind it's hitting 60fps at 4k on a current console with dynamic conditions, which does place some limits on what they can do with other aspects, which is why many people have noted the way some aspects are worse than in FM5.

That said, from what I've seen I don't think it'll top F1 2019's wet weather, in terms of visuals or physics — I honestly can't believe that light and heavy rain are identical from a physics perspective. For a feature that's nearly two years in the making (at least), that's... less than ideal.
Light and heavy rain are going to be identical, is that true? Maybe the thing its just half finished and the other half of the rain will come in another update?
Or maybe its just the same grip for wet tires in both and you can actually go faster on inters with light rain?
We will see

GTS rain looks good but with the footage we have seen so far Forza does it better, don't understand how some of you downplay it. Its also dynamic and has aquaplanning simulated. Its also more atmospheric with fog and thunder storms.
Here are some gameplay shots in rain
41736401704_afe260c648_o.png

41736393414_750cdea052_o.png

42589028641_38428af7ff_o.png

40758991590_44130c1c83_o.png

photomode
38199420071_318dfca2e0_o.png

38167242272_35d8a98372_o.png

26810408849_eabcef6bfc_o.png

There's a suspicion between us drivers that the physics had been changed on the build we were racing with at the Nurburgring, so the following comparison might not be 100% correct, but...

There is much less grip with a wet track surface.

People were suggesting the reduced grip could be purely down to the heavy wet tyres we were using, but I've just got home and compared my times with the same settings on a dry track.

Subaru Impreza, 99% power, 100% weight, brake bias 1 and torque distribution 40:60 which is what I opted to run during the Repechage race.

We were running 1:44s in the wet and I have just ran a couple of 1:37s, so much quicker.

The closest you will get to replicate the conditions we ran in is with comfort medium tyres. However, it's not that simple.

In the rain, there is more power understeer and more power oversteer. When the car begins to lose grip (front or rear end), it is more pronounced in the rain. It is also easier to turn the car using the brakes in the rain, which I found crucial to tackling the downhill turn 3.

Nothing can set up you for how slippery the kerbs are. They will try and kill you. Even with a 40:60 torque distribution, the rear comes round on the inside kerb of the first right hander in sector 3. You won't believe how tricky the braking zone for the last corner is on the exit kerbing of the previous corner.

Another thing to note is the wear. PD didn't tell us the multiplier they applied for the wet race, but just now in the dry with a multiplier of x2, my tyres wore quite a bit faster than in the wet. Which is expected.

Last edited:
GTS rain looks good but with the footage we have seen so far Forza does it better, don't understand how some of you downplay it. Its also dynamic and has aquaplanning simulated. Its also more atmospheric with fog and thunder storms.
Here are some gameplay shots in rain
41736401704_afe260c648_o.png

41736393414_750cdea052_o.png

42589028641_38428af7ff_o.png

40758991590_44130c1c83_o.png

photomode
38199420071_318dfca2e0_o.png

38167242272_35d8a98372_o.png

26810408849_eabcef6bfc_o.png
This just doesnt look realistic to me. When you watch a wet race IRL you dont get this. Hard to explain, maybe strange lighting, maybe the ridiculous flooding with ridiculously high reflections (river on pic 3), or the tropical hurricane over the top storms, or a bit of everything... whatever, you compare this to real life and its different, then you get GT Sport (from what we've seen so far) and you notice it looks way closer to real life

Last edited:
This just doesnt look realistic to me. When you watch a wet race IRL you dont get this. Hard to explain, maybe strange lighting, maybe the ridiculous flooding with ridiculously high reflections (river on pic 3), or the tropical hurricane over the top storms, whatever, you compare this to real life and its different, then you get GT Sport (from what we've seen so far) and you notice it looks way closer to real life

The main problem with Forza is that reflections on the Tarmac are too detailed (almost like a Mirror) while real reflections on wet are not that detailed,more bluried

There's a suspicion between us drivers that the physics had been changed on the build we were racing with at the Nurburgring, so the following comparison might not be 100% correct, but...

People were suggesting the reduced grip could be purely down to the heavy wet tyres we were using, but I've just got home and compared my times with the same settings on a dry track.

Subaru Impreza, 99% power, 100% weight, brake bias 1 and torque distribution 40:60 which is what I opted to run during the Repechage race.

We were running 1:44s in the wet and I have just ran a couple of 1:37s, so much quicker.

The closest you will get to replicate the conditions we ran in is with comfort medium tyres. However, it's not that simple.

In the rain, there is more power understeer and more power oversteer. When the car begins to lose grip (front or rear end), it is more pronounced in the rain. It is also easier to turn the car using the brakes in the rain, which I found crucial to tackling the downhill turn 3.

Nothing can set up you for how slippery the kerbs are. They will try and kill you. Even with a 40:60 torque distribution, the rear comes round on the inside kerb of the first right hander in sector 3. You won't believe how tricky the braking zone for the last corner is on the exit kerbing of the previous corner.

Another thing to note is the wear. PD didn't tell us the multiplier they applied for the wet race, but just now in the dry with a multiplier of x2, my tyres wore quite a bit faster than in the wet. Which is expected.
I've asked this already on Saturday morning I think, but now that you've had more experience, could you tell if the car aquaplaned or was faster with a wet line?

The main problem with Forza is that reflections on the Tarmac are too detailed (almost like a Mirror) while real reflections on wet are not that detailed,more bluried
Yeah, even with heavy rain you see those water patches with way too much reflection (rain drops should prevent seeing those reflections) and static puddles which are all over the place including uphill and dowhnill sections. Feels so unrealistic on many levels.

I've asked this already on Saturday morning I think, but now that you've had more experience, could you tell if the car aquaplaned or was faster with a wet line?

No don't think you could aquaplane. Not even sure there were puddles.

Wet lines - I can't confirm, would still need more track time and with a different category of car other than Gr B. With 4WD it's hard to say. But, I believe most guys were using dry lines in the race, even when braking.

I like that PD didn't tell you all the multiplier.

In addition to the naturally, slippery kerbs, were the painted lines a factor( pit exit lines in the braking zones, etc)?

Everyone saying a game is a gen behind or a game looking next gen looses credibility in my opinion. There is no game looking next gen at this time and neither pCars2, FM7, GTS, ACC or F1 2019 look last gen.

Here is an reminder of the GT6 rain effects

Frame rate be damned, no game has come close to those spray cloud fx in a last gen game.

There's always something to cut back to reach it's own technical philosophy. And if I can remember GT5/6 dynamic time and weather isn't very good when you put it on time lapse. At some point the time or weather change there's a noticable sudden change in skybox, sun position, and shadow position instead of being actually fully dynamic.

NOTE: Apparently the GT6 time lapse video has been either buried or missing. I swear I saw that video long time ago. Anyone has a video?

Could only find ones for GT5

And their trailer

This just doesnt look realistic to me. When you watch a wet race IRL you dont get this. Hard to explain, maybe strange lighting, maybe the ridiculous flooding with ridiculously high reflections (river on pic 3), or the tropical hurricane over the top storms, or a bit of everything... whatever, you compare this to real life and its different, then you get GT Sport (from what we've seen so far) and you notice it looks way closer to real life

Yeah, even with heavy rain you see those water patches with way too much reflection (rain drops should prevent seeing those reflections) and static puddles which are all over the place including uphill and dowhnill sections. Feels so unrealistic on many levels.
It depends on the amount of rain and wind, its dynamic in Forza. Just like in real life when there are deeper puddles without wind, the reflections become more clear. And the puddles are not static they build op after a while of rain wich is dynamic and gets dry when the sky clears up. You can choose the amount of rain,storm or fog in Forza so i don't see how this is bad. Look at this, clear relfections in real life
5bd131ec2b1e5.image.jpg

z-rain-reflection.jpg

Also i think you mean something like this(rippled reflections)
42408798992_ce7cd3f3c1_o.png

41556921435_f2fd261683_o.png

And if the reflections are too clear you can lower the setting :). And the reason why GTS looks more like the real thing is because of its phenomenal lighting engine, they are still the top dogs when it comes to lighting and material. But don't get me wrong im loving the rain in GTS, its better than nothing.

Back