We Want A Remake

Having to do one lap before qualifying starts in GT4 isn't too bad in most cases, except for tracks like Le Mans and the Nurburgring. The absolute worst combination I've found is the F1 race at the Nurburgring. If you want to qualify, you have to complete at least 2 consecutive laps on the same tyres (well, either that or do one lap, come into the pits and then go on to do the second). I had to go all the way around the track at very low speeds (except on the straights) to keep my tyres OK for the second lap (since there are only about 1.5 laps worth of hard driving on the racing medium tyres for the F1 at the Nurburgring. Very annoying

rockrapdude
They could make the graphics better(like GT4).The same cars(no suprise ones too), the same music, the same tracks, the same menu the same arcade but on a new engine(physics and graphics engine this is).I would buy it and would like to replay it again and again and again.
and then GT5 came out and it would collect dust

SportWagon
Well, the qualifying was practice as well, really. I mean, you could do as many laps as you wanted trying to get a better placing. I actually wish they had the clock going for the first lap. It's tedious needing to drive an entire lap before you get actual timing information. Having separate practice and qualifying could be frustrating if you couldn't match your practice time in qualifying. But then PD isn't above causing a little frustration now-and-then.

An advantage of GT1 was that qualifying was very fast once you knew the car and track. So a rolling start rather than needing to start in the pits and make a complete lap would improve things in the most recent games.

GT1 is the only game that is totally realistic in this regard.

1. you enter the race and it not only tells you which cars you're up against, but also their specs: weight and power.

2. You practice your butt off trying for that perfect lap.

3. Now you enter qualifying and see if you can replicate that perfect time you got in practice here! By now (in some races) your palms might be sweating. The pressure is on.

4. If you get pole position, you get PAID for it.

Like Pupik said, GT2 just skipped out on this whole process. I was real bummed about this. GT3 has qualifying but it's really more of a practice. Kinda bogus. You can just keep rolling around and around till you make pole position. Sometimes, I just do 2 laps--the warm up and the actual qualifying. If I get pole, great, and if I wind up in 3rd or 4th..okay. At least you know whether or not you'll need to tweak your car fairly without putting too much horsepower in like GT2. In GT3 if my car is too fast, i'll actually detune it.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
GT1 is the only game that is totally realistic in this regard.

1. you enter the race and it not only tells you which cars you're up against, but also their specs: weight and power.

This isn't realistic though. In real life you get to see what cars (and drivers) you're up against, but you would rarely get told what their specs are. In one make series racing (like Formula Ford) you would know what the specs of the other cars are (because all the cars are exactly the same), but how often in other racing series do you accurately get told the weight and power of the competitors? You could be fairly certain of the competitor's weights in a series with a minimum weight restriction, but unless the series is fairly open or at a low level, the teams are generally fairly secretive about power outputs (when was the last time you saw the Ferrari F1 team telling others the exact power output of their cars...?)

In real life most teams have a good idea of what power each car has based on their own cars peformance. How often do you hear that team X has 20 more hp than my car.

GT1 was the only game that presented you this information before race entry.
GT2 had power limits that gave you a guide. Sometimes the AI slipped in a car that had more than the max.
GT3 let you qualify and see what was happening. (gave you some idea of opposition). Limited car numbers and fields did not make this a big problem
GT4 only has qualifying for championship races. You only find out what you are against when you enter the race. GT4 lets you preview the race, but only shows the slowest car.
With such a large combination possible for each race this becomes a problem when chasing A spec points or looking for a close racing.
So the GT1 method was the best and most realistic in a game sense.

GT is not the kind of game you remake. Fair enough your missing some features in GT4, but ultimately GT4 is a better game.

The only kind of games that "can" work at the moment as a remake are 2d games, into 3d games because you are actually getting something new and different. Also remaking a game after just 1 generation is a bit cheap really, and just tryng to milk games and rip gamers off.

Games like RPG's nake good remakes because it may have been the story that made the game, and a good story is a good story.

For Instance I would maybe buy a reamke of Zelda: A link to the past if it was done in 3d because it would be like playing a different game

But reamking a game which has been tweaked and evolved (barely) throughout the series just doesnt work.

And whats all this about making the game cater to kids, or casual racers? People have different tastes, and all games are not for everyone, a game which is changed to try and cater for everyone will be ruined.
If you dont like sim like handling dont play GT4. PGR 2 has a good selection of cars but the handling is much easier to master, go and play that! :)

FooAtari
GT is not the kind of game you remake. Fair enough your missing some features in GT4, but ultimately GT4 is a better game.

And whats all this about making the game cater to kids, or casual racers? People have different tastes, and all games are not for everyone, a game which is changed to try and cater for everyone will be ruined.
If you dont like sim like handling dont play GT4. PGR 2 has a good selection of cars but the handling is much easier to master, go and play that! :)

I do agree with you there.

Uncle Harry
In real life most teams have a good idea of what power each car has based on their own cars peformance. How often do you hear that team X has 20 more hp than my car.

GT1 was the only game that presented you this information before race entry.
GT2 had power limits that gave you a guide. Sometimes the AI slipped in a car that had more than the max.
GT3 let you qualify and see what was happening. (gave you some idea of opposition). Limited car numbers and fields did not make this a big problem
GT4 only has qualifying for championship races. You only find out what you are against when you enter the race. GT4 lets you preview the race, but only shows the slowest car.
With such a large combination possible for each race this becomes a problem when chasing A spec points or looking for a close racing.
So the GT1 method was the best and most realistic in a game sense.

I agree with you there.

SportWagon
An advantage of GT1 was that qualifying was very fast once you knew the car and track. So a rolling start rather than needing to start in the pits and make a complete lap would improve things in the most recent games.

I prefer the standing start's, at least you can get ready for the go, rolling starts in GT2 always seem to surpirse me so I lose time before starting off.

FooAtari

It's pretty well known that PD will be making GT for kids. It won't ruin our game since it'll be a totally seperate thing.

Parnelli Bone
It's pretty well known that PD will be making GT for kids. It won't ruin our game since it'll be a totally seperate thing.

Well as long as that remains the case. Console sims are sanatised enough as it has having to be made around a joypad compared to some of the PC sims available.

Although GT is taking steps to make games around a decent wheel, a very good thing.

Uncle Harry
GT4 lets you preview the race, but only shows the slowest car.
You can use the arrow keys to change which car you are looking at, but there's still no actual timing information and I don't think the cars are actually "racing" to their full potential. They "know" they are in "preview mode", as far as I can tell. Usually you can see which car might be the ringer, but that's about it.

You might contemplate using an external timing device, but in addition to possible discrepancies in the game timers, the fact the cars aren't "really racing" means it won't give meaningful results, as far as I can tell.

you know what was wierd about the replays in gt1? you could be viewing another car, but when you switch to a view with the HUD, it was showing the data and speed of the players car!!! ****ed up, no?

Hey just thought i would add a little to the discussionm, I am currently 23, have grown up with computers since my rubber keyed zx spectrum 48 k!!

The original GT was the biggest step forward in the racing genre I have seen with special mentions going to the original microprose grand prix and maybe even the original ridge racer arcade, I love the GT games when I got gt 1 i didn't even have a mem card so i played it for three days straight with maybe about three hours not playing.

But would i want it remade?

No,

I like to go back and see how things move forward, but also to go back and fling An Impreza Rally Car into a corner knowing it WILL come out the other side!

I want the Superfast GTO's and Skylines with their racing mods but I want them the way they are, I already have gt1 to 4.

PD should concentrate on GT5 instead of looking back, its been said before but what i want is a game that challenges me, I sit and play gt4 and my mates don't see a race, and neither do I, yes you can use a slower car and that is fun, but is that what a race is?

I want a DTM championship, a SuperGT(JGTC) championship where I can use my favourite car and still have to think about the race.

Basically I want more AI, is it that much to ask?

(racing mods would be nice as well)

So roll on GT5

I think the idea, in most people's minds anyway, always was to use the new physics engine (and graphics, for sure) but with more like the old gameplay; a true "game" which you can consider replaying many times, since it will take only a few weeks to complete at a leisurely pace (and only a couple of days or so, if you rush), also with no requirement to devote more than three hours at a time, and only a very few requirements of more than an hour.

SportWagon
I think the idea, in most people's minds anyway, always was to use the new physics engine (and graphics, for sure) but with more like the old gameplay; a true "game" which you can consider replaying many times, since it will take only a few weeks to complete at a leisurely pace (and only a couple of days or so, if you rush), also with no requirement to devote more than three hours at a time, and only a very few requirements of more than an hour.

Agree 100%. Gameplay on GT1 was fun.
GT4 is a quest to slay the dragon, GT1 was a short walk to the corner store to buy a ice cream on a cloudy day.
If PD put the nice graphics in a PS2 version, the short walk to the corner store would then be on a sunny day.

If there is anything I would want back from GT1 (or remade even), is really one thing besides what already has been rated about the lack of a full racing option, and maybe being able to start time trials/time attacks from a standstill like it was done in GT1 and also because of Top gear. The music, or at the least what the (us) Americans and Europeans got.

Some might say we somehow always get the crap end of avaible music, but that isn't entirely true. Although some songs in other GT4 sondtracks in Japan and Europe that aren't in America I wish i did have, that is not to say I would hate the US soundtrack becuase I don't.

I like Daiki Kasho a LOT, so nearly every song that has been of his credit (along with Dakota Star) in GT3 and 4, I've liked a lot.

Becuase it was the first game, and it was the first 'simulatior' beisdes Need for Speed 1 and Gran Prix Legends, I figured the GT1 music to be THE best for what it did, espically for the 'Western Hemispehere'. Ash, Cubante, Feeder and Garbage all provided tracks that were nothing short of awesome in my honest opinion. Infact i feel THE best songs that were ever for Gran Turismo EVER besides 'Obscure', 'Strike Barrier', 'Good days and Bad days', 'What to believe' 'Mirage' and 'Are you going my way', from bands/artists as Lenny Kraviz and Daiki Kasho, from GT3 and GT4... from GT1... 'As Heaven is Wide' by Garbage, 'Lose control' by Ash, and what I felt was THE BEST ending song from my memmory of GT1, 'Skeletal' by Cubante.

I like Skeletal the most for several reasons. Even though it's an 'ending song' from my memmory of the credits (less somehow the song files got screwed up on the PS1 disk, or least the one I got), the version on GT1 gave you the impression that things were FAR from over, that it was just the begining and things were only going to get better.

(What I also oddly enough like about GT1 was that it reminds me of Initial D. I'm sure some of you are thinking, 'oh dear God no not another one'...but hear me out. Sometime between 2000 and 2003, I'd been wondering if anything was going to be like say Gran Turismo with a coherient enough story and at the least relasim to an extent that made what was presented believeable enough... to me that came in the form of Initial D. Now I know that it's not entirley real and a lot of crap is streeched to say the least, I can go on in explaitnion on several points, I'd rather not becuase then I'd lose the meaning of what i'm trying to say, and the fact I'll go on several paragraphs, some of you at GTP KNOW what I'm talking about. Anyway, Initial D to me felt like Gran Turismo with a story, soley on the basis of the cars since nearly every single one you can use in a number of the GT games. But one particular GT I felt for some reason connected the most with Initial depsite the fact I'm certian a lot of the cars in Initial D aren't even in GT1... was the Japanese car bias. Initial D is staged in Japan, GT1 was aimed initialy soley for the Japanese market, with a few cars from America and Europe. I know it's probably stupid, but that's how I see it. Also the fact again 'Skeletal' by Cubanate, everytime I hear that song, I'm not only reminded of that ending sequence in GT1, but also of that last battle in Stage 1 to be exact between Takumi and Ryouske. Becuase it wasn't a real end, but only the begining, as there are a whole lot more battles for not only for Tofu boy but for also for a number of other characters as well. That's all I can figure to say on that).

For the most part of Gran Turismo in General, things a are LOT better in GT4 compaired to GT1, even though there have been some flaws and omissions of cars that will idealy be corrected in GT5 but we'll have to see. I know GT is hard pressed against other games (depending on who you're asking and disussing about them anyway...some of you would consider one or more of the games I'm going to say to be a joke for whatever reason(s) you may have...) such as Enthusia, Project Gotham, Forza, even Need For Speed, GTR, Live For Speed, Ridge Racer (Ridge Racer besides Rad Racer was the first racing serries I got into, that and Outrun), and so on. I just like GT4 for what it is like any other game.

But if anything IMHO had to be brought back from GT1, it would be the music we got, it was the first impression of the serries besides the gameplay and presentaiton. The western release music was and still is nothing short of awesome, and I felt spoke of the spirt of GT in my honest opinion.

I'd go more into being anyalitcal on GT's music but I'll just stop there, maybe i'll go futher on some write up or something.

Till later.

Back