Weather condition prediction

• Thread starter cyder2
  • 38 comments
I was under the impression the speed of the weather was tied to the day/night cycle time progression. Hence you choose what weather at what time in custom race. I haven't played with it much to confirm however.

Been working on the 'World GT Series' yesterday and today.

Yesterday, I started the second race (Spa) on racing tyres but the rain hit on lap 3/4 and caused problems that meant I only finished 9th. Today, for my second attempt, I thought I'd get ahead of the weather so I went out on Comfort Softs - figured I might lag behind a bit on the dry, but I'd catch up when the rain hit...it stayed entirely dry throughout and I ended up finishing last.

It's so frustrating - a forecast system (or at least knowing others' tyres) feels like such a glaring omission from this game.

I noticed that the radar moved so fast during the race. So i decided to do some calculations. There is a scale of 50 miles on the weather radar. It took one storm a lap and a half to move 50 miles, which measures out to about 2.4 minutes.

Calculating speed by distance over time that storm was moving at 1,250MPH! Thats almost double the speed of sound! LOL
I calculated 6000 km/h max on my side (about 3,730MPH), which is almost 3 times faster than the fastest winds in our solar system on Neptune...

I don't see the point to ask NASA about weather if it's to end up with things like that. First of all they should have asked NOAA, and not NASA.. And why NASA to start with when you have JAXA at home?

I calculated 6000 km/h max on my side (about 3,730MPH), which is almost 3 times faster than the fastest winds in our solar system on Neptune...

I don't see the point to ask NASA about weather if it's to end up with things like that. First of all they should have asked NOAA, and not NASA.. And why NASA to start with when you have JAXA at home?
Lol that's hilarious. I was literally having a shower thought like how did that rain cloud move all the way across the radar in a lap and a half??

They should just focus on making a driving simulator not a weather simulator... LOL

The entire pitstop process from entry to tyre change to pit exit should take maximum 1 second.
this would then make the super fast time/weather balanced to the pit time and realistic need for being on the correct tyres. bizzarley instead of being stupid it would make the whole race overall more authentic?
its a crazy situation to be in.

Non lobby or sport races your best defense is just watching the radar for large patches of blue after the race starts. If you stay on the start screen long enough you will get idea of what the wether will be by looking at the sky and for rain drops on the track.

In lobby or sport, use any warm-up to check the wether in the pits. Time is of the essence if you plan to switch tires so read that radar quickly.

The entire pitstop process from entry to tyre change to pit exit should take maximum 1 second.
this would then make the super fast time/weather balanced to the pit time and realistic need for being on the correct tyres. bizzarley instead of being stupid it would make the whole race overall more authentic?
its a crazy situation to be in.
You do understand that there are some places that it will be raining on one side of the street and bone dry on the other. A 1 second pit stop is not very authentic IMHO. It takes me longer than that to pick the tire to change to.

At the race start screen you can see the current conditions.
On lap 1 you should at least look at the weather at the 100km/62 mile range
Going from the bottom
1 is no rain
2 is sprinkle rain
3 is light rain
gt7-weather-radar-issue-v0-s2qjigoksts91.jpg

So lets use this image as an example.
If the weather is moving 50km per lap to the right
You do NOT want to be on inters now, wait a lap
This way you wont burn up the inters on a dry track.
But in this instance, you will pit 2/3lap early.
Now you could push it to the next lap, but it will start raining while you're on slicks, which could cause issues when it comes to braking and taking corners at the speed you're use to.
But if you can manage that, go for it

If you are racing against the AI, they will pit the next lap as the track has to get to a certain threshold of "Wet"
Sadly, because the AI can still drive on a 50% wet track with slicks you wont get the undercut on them.
Yes, the AI still maintain a pretty decent pace even when on the wrong tires, we've seen F1 cars easily hydroplane with a damp track yet the AI are bolted down to the track unfased.

If racing online, hope that people are not as observant or they pit early and drove slower due to the less grip inters offers on a dry track.

Now if you are going to get a large band of green, yellow in your path rain which will last for a few laps, wets are going to be the better choice over, inters.
With a hundred mile square map the weather is usually taking about 30 seconds to travel 50 miles, a normal storm that far out might take two to three hours to reach you.

I think PD originally planned for the weather to move at a lot slower speed, thus a map that could be zoomed out to 100 mi square, in it's current state anything but the fully zoomed out map is useless. It might be better to just do away with the zoom feature all away and instead of reading 100 mi sq. be something like 5 mi sq.

It would have been nice if in the custom races there was a option to set the weather speed.
I think weather speed applies to time acceleration.
Like how the 1hr spa is "24hrs" in game.
So the time ratio is 1:60
1 second in real life = 60 seconds in game.
This is why the rain comes in so fast.

With the spa 1hr, the weather system does move at about 60km or so per lap with each lap being 2:15s long
Under real world conditions this would mean the weather system is moving at Neptunian speeds of 1,600km/h
But if we account for the time ratio of 1:60, the weather system is moving at 26.6km/h which is more or reasonable.

The weather radar needs to be shown also in the Pit screen , there's been a number of times where I have made my tire choice before entering the pits, only to exit the pit and the weather has completely changed,
and a countdown timer in seconds till the car reaches the pit box.

View attachment 1236383
What we need for pit stops is

ABILITY TO PAUSE.
pausing when pitting is something we tend to do so we can say, go get some food, go to the bathroom, ect.
Yet we cant do that, even going to the PS5s main menu, does not pause the game.

Why cant we see other cars in the pit or on the track?
Is it because too many polygons to draw?
Well get rid of other humans just waiting in the pitboxes, after all you can only be in the pitbox when you are going to work on the car, you cant just stand there willy-nilly.
This will give the console the ability to render other cars in pit, and cars outside of pit.

Yes, we need the ability to change tires once we have made our choice, but I have another reason.
The button to shift up is X, the button to confirm is X, when you enter some pit lanes such as Spa, you may shift just as you get to the pitlane speed line, I have hit X to shift up just as the tire selection screen shows up a few times.
Being able to go back and change choice(before you come to your pitbox) would be nice, same goes for fuel.
And yes, I have pitted in with 0 clouds at max zoom out, I pit in at spa, only to exit with clouds 100km out which means a pit in again in 1.5laps

Last edited:
Back