Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 2,663 comments
Quite surprised that the Superbird race was as easy as it was, the AI cars were barely tuned for how much effort went in to making them all look as good as they did.
I won convincingly on Hard with nothing but a custom manual gearbox, everything else (including tyres) was stock, at 468pp.

Great race for photo ops though - it's another event that I will be sad to see banished to the ether after this week is over.
1711151131464.png

Last edited:
This week's weapons of choice:
My Batmobile just because I haven't driven it in months. lol Beat Mikhail by 10 secs.
Sardegna - Road Track - B_ (3) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Laguna got my Peter Cunningham inspired car. Good race on SS. I only won it at the Corkscrew on the last lap:
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca_ (6) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Suzuka was too easy with my Z:
Suzuka Circuit_ (4) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Daytona will have to be done again with this one detuned. I won by 15 secs so I'll give it a more challenging run before this race disappears:
Daytona Road Course_ (4) by 2cam16, on Flickr
I won this race last year with my 787 so had to use it again. It was a less predictable race since the rain came around lap3-4 and was gone a lap or two later after I had switched to IM's. So I had to box again on lap 9 because the IM's were almost gone. Last time I raced this the rain stayed until the end. Still won by around 30 seconds and lapped a few cars:
Fuji International Speedway_ (3) by 2cam16, on Flickr

Psycho Beetle - Sardegna

If you want to learn how to control pretty much any car in the game, go get an old Beetle, throw a Porsche motor in it, and don't do anything else. On CH tires it can exhibit pretty much any car behavior imaginable. Power oversteer, lift-oversteer, oversteer on braking, crazy understeer... it has it all, and it can barely be contained. If you can stay on top of it, it can be quick, but controlling it is the problem!

This run is on CS tires though, which pretty much feels like cheating. I did it a couple times on the CH tires, but there just wasn't enough grip for me to catch up to the A110 way up ahead. CS tires turned the Beetle into a murderer.

Is that a Supra?! - Laguna Seca

I wanted to look pretty and chill out in this one, and this beautiful black MK4 Supra fit the bill. It is such a smooth drive right out of the box. Lot's of front end grip, no crazy oversteer, and silky revs make for a pleasant drive, and a decent challenge here at 511PP in the 550 group. This is the only A80 I have in my garage and it's bone stock, I need to buy more and do some builds!

Hopefully there will be time for the other races soon

Well...Fuji didn't go as planned,although the CLK-LM was not at fault! I'm used to the GT7 phenomenon of light scattered showers changing to a monsoon soon after passing the pits, so at lap 4 I pitted for wet tires. It figures that by the time I exited the rain disappeared. I managed to soldier on till the end and barely get the win. The CLK-LM feels almost like.cheating.

I got the clean race bonus, but then got stung by that "no gift" bug. No $200k reward and no daily workout. It really tainted the the joy of winning.

Decided I'm going to use the kudosprime random car selector method for this week's races. That means:

European Sunday Cup 500 - Citroen DS 21 Pallas (oh dear...) (Alpine A110 '17 as back-up)
Japanese Clubman Cup 550 - Toyota GR Supra RZ '19 (Just won one the other day so that'll be the build for that race!)
Plymouth Superbird One-Make - errr...
Race of Turbo Sportscars - Mercedes-AMG GT Safety Car
Neo-classic Competition - Toyota Supra GT 500 '97

A couple of those should be interesting!

Decided I'm going to use the kudosprime random car selector method for this week's races. That means:

European Sunday Cup 500 - Citroen DS 21 Pallas (oh dear...) (Alpine A110 '17 as back-up)
Japanese Clubman Cup 550 - Toyota GR Supra RZ '19 (Just won one the other day so that'll be the build for that race!)
Plymouth Superbird One-Make - errr...
Race of Turbo Sportscars - Mercedes-AMG GT Safety Car
Neo-classic Competition - Toyota Supra GT 500 '97

A couple of those should be interesting!
So, it turns out the DS can win a race! Granted, I fitted all the bolt-on power options and SS tyres, but I managed, on second attempt, to speak through for a win!!

It also took me two attempts with the Supra to win the Laguna Seca race, only missing out by a fraction in the first race when I outbraked myself at the last corner and ran wide.

With the Superbird I would have won but made a mistake on lap 3 on the infield and ended up taking third, 1.2s behind first.

The AMG Safety Car won very easily in a full dry race.

With a short fuel stop in the Supra GT500 I managed to take a decent win at Fuji in another fully dry race. Fuel saving the whole time and keeping the lead from lap 6 onwards.

Race 1 - 250 GT Berlinetta passo corto '61 - took some exotic fruit, bought CS (CM is default) and went to Sardegna. Finished second due few mistakes bsc I don't know the layout well... Got the 100k ticket.

18e69dbc91799-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race 2 - GR Supra RZ '19 - love the Laguna, but finished only 3rd, first two were just too far ahead, I needed one more lap, which I didn't have...

18e69ee304199-screenshotUrl.jpg

Quite surprised that the Superbird race was as easy as it was, the AI cars were barely tuned for how much effort went in to making them all look as good as they did.
I won convincingly on Hard with nothing but a custom manual gearbox, everything else (including tyres) was stock, at 468pp.

Great race for photo ops though - it's another event that I will be sad to see banished to the ether after this week is over.
View attachment 1339525
I'm trying with your setup right now and I have a hard time. What lap times did you have to run ? Can't get closer than 2 sec to the leading cars.

@Nebuc72

I made it. But that was after attempting the race for more than 250 miles. There's surely been a bit of luck as well. I didn't bash others - no such thing - however I couldn't completely avoid contact so I'm not exactly proud of the win.

2.12 - 2.11 - 2.10 laps, but I can't do this consistently. If it's been an easy race for you I tip my hat ... :bowdown:

@ everyone here :

Did anyone try to NOT enter the infield and run straight on, 3 laps on the oval for a super easy win ? I could run through the barriers, I didn't finish the race though ... felt ashamed ! :indiff:

@Nebuc72

I made it. But that was after attempting the race for more than 250 miles. There's surely been a bit of luck as well. I didn't bash others - no such thing - however I couldn't completely avoid contact so I'm not exactly proud of the win.

2.12 - 2.11 - 2.10 laps, but I can't do this consistently. If it's been an easy race for you I tip my hat ... :bowdown:

@ everyone here :

Did anyone try to NOT enter the infield and run straight on, 3 laps on the oval for a super easy win ? I could run through the barriers, I didn't finish the race though ... felt ashamed ! :indiff:
Nice one! To be fair, Daytona is probably my strongest track, I held the WR there for a while for the license tests at the bus stop, so that's probably quite a big part about be finding it easier, I'm really confident in chucking the car into there and powering out past the AI.

Hello everyone, new here!

I tried the Fuji event for the first time. The Mercedes was out of my reach so I bought the Escudo and went with it.

Wasn’t used to driving it, at all. Found some better pace by sending more power to the rear wheels.

Around the 5th lap, it started to rain just when I intended to pit, so I put on intermediates and gained a lot of time on the 7 cars ahead of me.

Managed to get the lead, only to lose it to the Nissan a couple of laps after.

On lap 9, the Nissan pitted again, allowing me to get the first place. Overall, a lot of fun.

Ran the main account to do the special event race.

Race 3 at Daytona: Superbird with manual transmission only - 468.88pp - 1st place. I’m a bit crossed with this car. It has really good handling. Turn in response is fantastic, it holds a line through the turns, it even maintains good control under braking, but damn… those comfort medium tires have no grip. You need loads of room to slow this car down. I got bashed in to from behind coming in to turn 1 losing me probably a second or more on my lap time for lap 2. The bus stop is a total mess as this car can get the first left hand turn but is clueless how to stay on track as you turn right. Exiting turns, even with early upshifting gets you traction for about a second, then it spins up the tires in the middle of 3rd gear losing you time.

It took me 4 or 5 tries, mostly due to a spin out through the bus stop, to finally win the race but it’s not too difficult to do with this setup once you figure out how to manage the tires.

Race 4 at Suzuka: Detuned BMW VGT - 658.84 - 1st place. Never driven this car. It’s a bit slippery in acceleration, but after driving that Superbird on CM tires, this is super easy to control. Good brakes, good handling, strong acceleration. Just a bit dodgy in those long sweeping turns where you are accelerating and going through the gears. Maybe 90% throttle through those to keep the back end from coming around on you.

Last edited:
Race 1 - 250 GT Berlinetta passo corto '61 - took some exotic fruit, bought CS (CM is default) and went to Sardegna. Finished second due few mistakes bsc I don't know the layout well... Got the 100k ticket.

View attachment 1339577

Race 2 - GR Supra RZ '19 - love the Laguna, but finished only 3rd, first two were just too far ahead, I needed one more lap, which I didn't have...

View attachment 1339578

Love your write ups and pics 👍. Have sent a fr on PS and Xbox (cutback73).

Hello everyone, new here!

I tried the Fuji event for the first time. The Mercedes was out of my reach so I bought the Escudo and went with it.

Wasn’t used to driving it, at all. Found some better pace by sending more power to the rear wheels.

Around the 5th lap, it started to rain just when I intended to pit, so I put on intermediates and gained a lot of time on the 7 cars ahead of me.

Managed to get the lead, only to lose it to the Nissan a couple of laps after.

On lap 9, the Nissan pitted again, allowing me to get the first place. Overall, a lot of fun.
Welcome to the best planet in the milky way :gtpflag:

I love completing all 5 of the weekly challenges just to not receive a single reward from them. I only got the daily miles reward from completing all 5 races. Are you serious?
Happened a few weeks ago to me. It's a crappy bug for sure. I hope they address it in the next update.

I love completing all 5 of the weekly challenges just to not receive a single reward from them. I only got the daily miles reward from completing all 5 races. Are you serious?
My only advice here is if you value your time and don't receive the first reward, abandon the rest of the races for that week.

Unless you're time traveling your console, it doesn't seem to be a consistent bug.

Second Clean Sweep in a row!
  • European Sunday Cup - Porsche Carrera CS 🔰
  • Japanese Clubman Cup - Toyota GR Corolla 🔰
  • Special Event - Obvious 🔰
  • Turbo Sports - Toyota Alphard 🔰
  • Neoclassical Challenge - Porsche 962C 🔰

Reward:
  • Dupe GT Black Series from 4-Star Daily

Last edited:
Gotta love the latest Sport Time Trial event this time it's on Daytona Oval, and with that I got my first Gold time there! Nerve Wracking stuff, I just a few milliseconds fast enough to get Gold.
You'll be wanting this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/time-trial-discussion.409515/post-14173724

Also be aware that the times for gold, silver, and bronze are not fixed: if the world record improves, the gold target will also improve and if you only have a margin of a few milliseconds you may well fall out of the gold. Only the times at the end of the event matter.

Race 3 - Plymouth Superbird - tuned this beast to 578PP to be competitive and went into one-make battle! Came to 3rd position very quickly and pressed p1 and p2. Got them with slipstream but they fight back in same manner in lap 2. In the 3rd lap in inside of track I made big enough lead so they can't slipstream me on oval again... Finished 1st and got 200k ticket.

18e6ca41ff759-screenshotUrl.jpg

Race 4 - Ruf CTR3 '07 - again, car that probably won't be picked by many people, but I can recommend it as great default to drive car. Easy catching leading two, then fight for win. Little mistake, and they are just behind, but I hold it and finished first.

18e6cb9568558-screenshotUrl.jpg

weekly-challenge-2024-03w4-cars.jpg

Sardenga: A combination of having forgotten the braking points a this track and the Ferrari requiring early braking had me in the sand a few times. Finished P3. Good enough for a ticket. The car was unmodified except for better tires -- CS, if I remember right.

Laguna Seca: I put softer tires on the Honda, too. Had no trouble winning this one.

Daytona: It was fun to see all those Superbirds on the track together. I put some better tires on it for the race, but otherwise left it stock. It was an easy win.

Suzuka: I like driving Suzuka, and doing it in the MC20 was fun. I put better tires on it, but otherwise unmodified. I wasn't prepared for the rain, but it wasn't that much and the car handled it well. Easy win.

Fuji: First time out in the CLK-LM. I switched to RH tires to get it under the PP limit. I bought IM tires for it, too, but it turned out I didn't need them. There was rain in the race, but not enough to warrant switching from slicks. Got 7 laps in before having to stop for fuel. Easy win.

I used these cars this week.

18e6ccbcfb13-screenshotUrl (1)~2.jpg

The Porsche and NSX are stock.

I had a spare Hellcat engine lying around, so I dropped that in the Superbird, put on some sport tires, brakes and a custom differential to control all that torque. Overkill.

The Skyline is also engine swapped. The car is just hilariously fast and is good fun.

BMW McLaren is tuned down to meet the PP requirements. I had a dry race at Fuji and managed 3rd.

When replying I just realized this bug has affected 2 of my 3 accounts. I finished all 5 races today and got zero rewards. I did however get the daily workout...all 5k of it:banghead: I've only done one race on the second account and did not get the reward nor the workout gift either.

Last edited:
Back