Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 2,660 comments
Completed the first four so far

mk1 GTI for sunday cup
sileighty for clubman cup
burnt orange superbird for the special event
mp4-12c for race of turbo

I'm tempted to use my trusty 787b for the neo classic, but I also just bought the clk-lm finally so kind of want to give it a try.

I did the final three weeklies last night. I didn't record the Superbird race because I spun on the last run through the bus-stop... I should have but I planned on doing the race again and just haven't yet. Even with a spin to a complete stop I still won it with the CRB, haha. I did do it a couple times with a totally stock 'Bird, but the AI just ran away on the straights, so I put in a trans, and did intake/headers/exhaust on it which made for an easy win.

Ford Maverick - Suzuka

I was trying to find something unique for this race, because I just got done here with the AMG-GTR in the last two weeks for the Euro 700, and I stumbled upon the Maverick I forgot was in the game. I had bought it and visually modified it when it came out, but never drove it. Turns out this thing is a weapon. 1200hp and a race-engineered chassis make this old Ford behave like a GR3 car with a bunch of power. It stays super flat, is super predictable, and very fast. Even with all that power and handling it still look a while to catch the modified MC20 that was light years in the lead, but it ended up being no match for this monster.

Nissan R92CP - Fuji

There was a conversation here on GTP where @330_D was singing the praises of the R92CP which prompted me to take it out for the Neoclassical race this week. I really don't pay a lot of attention to these group-C cars because I tend to enjoy road cars and race cars based on road cars for whatever reason. I had used the Silk Cut Jag before, but I never thought driving it felt like anything special.

The R92 though, feels special. It is super communicative, very fast, efficient, and you can actually see out of the thing ! I cut the power down and put it on hards to come in under 800PP, and made sure I had some IM tires in the paddock before starting. I remember this race well because of how much of a pain I remember it being, but it ended up being a fun easy-ish win this time.

I made a TON of mistakes during the race, going off at the end of the main straight twice, driving slow as heck in some sections, and just generally not getting the most out of the car. It's literally the first time I've ever driven it, and you can see the pace progress as the race goes on and I learn how much this thing can be pushed. I went in to the pits right as the rain threatened, and of course almost all the AI stayed out on slicks. I passed them all on one lap as they spun and wallowed around. The CLK-GTR made a good race for a few laps, and was faster than me on the straights, but ended up pitting again before the end giving me a 47sec lead at the finish. I got CRBs with all the other races this week, and might go back for this one too.

Really looking forward to the next week bringing new cars and hopefully some special races. I'm most excited about the Urus... a hyper SUV should be fun!

Last edited:
I did the final three weeklies last night. I didn't record the Superbird race because I spun on the last run through the bus-stop... I should have but I planned on doing the race again and just haven't yet. Even with a spin to a complete stop I still won it with the CRB, haha. I did do it a couple times with a totally stock 'Bird, but the AI just ran away on the straights, so I put in a trans, and did intake/headers/exhaust on it which made for an easy win.

Ford Maverick - Suzuka

I was trying to find something unique for this race, because I just got done here with the AMG-GTR last two weeks for the Euro 700, and I stumbled upon the Maverick I forgot was in the game. I had bought it and visually modified it when it came out, but never drove it. Turns out this thing is a weapon. 1200hp and a race-engineered chassis make this old Ford behave like a GR3 car with a bunch of power. It stays super flat, is super predictable, and very fast. Even with all that power and handling it still look a while to catch the modified MC20 that was light years in the lead, but it ended up being no match for this monster.

Nissan R92CP - Fuji

There was a conversation here on GTP where @330_D was singing the praises of the R92CP which prompted me to take it out for the Neoclassical race this week. I really don't pay a lot of attention to these group-C cars because I tend to enjoy road cars and race cars based on road cars for whatever reason. I had used the Silk Cut Jag before, but I never thought driving it felt like anything special.

The R92 though, feels special. It is super communicative, very fast, efficient you can actually see out of the thing. I cut the power down and put it on hards to come in under the 800PP, and made sure I had some IM tires in the paddock before starting. I remember this race well because of how much of a pain I remember it being, but it ended up being a fun easy-ish win this time.

I made a TON of mistakes during the race, going off at the end of the main straight twice, driving slow as heck in some sections and just generally not getting the most out of the car. It's literally the first time I've ever driven it, and you can see the pace progress as the race goes on and I learned how much this thing can be pushed. I went in to the pits right as the rain threatened, and of course almost all the AI stayed out on slicks. I passed them all on one lap as they spun and wallowed around, but the CLK-GTR made for a good race for a few laps, and was faster than me on the straights, but ended up pitting again before the end giving me a 47sec lead at the finish. I got CRBs with all the other races this week, and might go back for this one too.

Really looking forward to the next week bringing new cars and hopefully some special races. I'm most excited about the Urus... a hyper SUV should be fun!

I'm working on it. I had started it for about the fifth time and got interrupted. Again. Great car for a great race for sure. That track annoys me to no end but it's also a ton of fun to find time in weird places. Only thing I don't like about the Nissan here is it's long turning radius at slower speeds. It's hot where this car shines and there is enough of it here. Just an opinion. Still a killer car in this class.

I'm working on it. I had started it for about the fifth time and got interrupted. Again. Great car for a great race for sure. That track annoys me to no end but it's also a ton of fun to find time in weird places. Only thing I don't like about the Nissan here is it's long turning radius at slower speeds. It's hot where this car shines and there is enough of it here. Just an opinion. Still a killer car in this class.
Yeah, I'm just coming around to liking Fuji after doing hundreds of laps there over the years, haha.

The final sector is an exercise in patience, but I still don't know what the right line is going through turn 13 and into 14-15-16. I think most times the AI keeps pace with me there, which in my book is a failure :lol:. Turns 10 and 11 are also a pain in the a**, and the R92 doesn't help when first gear is right on the turbos, and second bogs it to heck. I end up having to pedal first and short-shift to second as I was figuring out what the car wanted.

I doubt you'll have any issues with this one in the Nissan, and you'll probably do a much better job than I have so far! Now that I'm better acquainted with the car I'm kinda wanting to do it again when I didn't really enjoy this race the first time around.

Happy hunting!

Yeah, I'm just coming around to liking Fuji after doing hundreds of laps there over the years, haha.

The final sector is an exercise in patience, but I still don't know what the right line is going through turn 13 and into 14-15-16. I think most times the AI keeps pace with me there, which in my book is a failure :lol:. Turns 10 and 11 are also a pain in the a**, and the R92 doesn't help when first gear is right on the turbos, and second bogs it to heck. I end up having to pedal first and short-shift to second as I was figuring out what the car wanted.

I doubt you'll have any issues with this one in the Nissan, and you'll probably do a much better job than I have so far! Now that I'm better acquainted with the car I'm kinda wanting to do it again when I didn't really enjoy this race the first time around.

Happy hunting!
Yeah I know I talked it way up but it is in between at this track. The gearing and the turbo hit seem to make for a little bit of an unbalanced feel at this track at this pp. It needs more power here to really shine. It would certainly shine more too. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow morning while the wife is out for a bit and have the time to concentrate.

18e6df1e7ac94-screenshotUrl.jpg

This one was great great fun. I absolutely love this car and at this track in this field it is an absolute hoot. Do recommend.

18e6df295b886-screenshotUrl.jpg

Again with the Evo. I keep wanting to swap a Yaris with the 2JZ because that looks a hoot, but this damn car is just SO good. The corkscrew is super fun in it. Also do recommend.

[StartRant] Well, this is the second weekly challenge with no ticket payouts. This one really sucks as I dropped over 600k for the Super Bird plus tuning. I was hoping for at least a break even and acquire some cars along the way. Not the case, and pretty frustrating. [/EndRant] I really wish there was a fix or a consistency as to why it doesn't pay out reward tickets when it's supposed to.

Other than the rant, the races were fun and at times frustrating and rewarding.

I'm through, I've done them all, won them all - here's this week's summary :

The only race I really wanted to try with the stock car was the Special Event on Daytona. However I either had to upgrade tires ( SM ) or use a custom manual transmission to be competitive - it's been grip vs. top end. And I admit, after many many miles I still don't exactly know how to move a ship on a race track.
All the other cars were well tuned, most of them a good bit below the suggested PP level though.
None of the races were what I would call an easy win, most of them were really close.
The most annoying thing was the rain on Fuji as I don't like rain in general and ... I couldn't figure out the pit entry there. :banghead:

Race 1
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240324174940.jpg Lancia Stratos / 467 PP / runtime 3:28.226

Race 2
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240324174926.jpg Toyota Alphard / 497 PP / runtime 5:05.766

Race 3
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240324174858.jpg Plymouth Firebird / 468 PP / runtime 6:34.059 :lol:

Race 4
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240324174914.jpg Toyota Yaris / 599 PP / runtime 11:14.368

Race 5
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240324174954.jpg Ok ... which one is me ?

All the best for the upcoming week, guys. I'm looking forward to the next content update and some great new cars. :cheers:

The only race I really wanted to try with the stock car was the Special Event on Daytona. However I either had to upgrade tires ( SM ) or use a custom manual transmission to be competitive - it's been grip vs. top end. And I admit, after many many miles I still don't exactly know how to move a ship on a race track.
All the other cars were well tuned, most of them a good bit below the suggested PP level though.
None of the races were what I would call an easy win, most of them were really close.
The most annoying thing was the rain on Fuji as I don't like rain in general and ... I couldn't figure out the pit entry there. :banghead:

Race 1
View attachment 1340041 Lancia Stratos / 467 PP / runtime 3:28.226

Race 2
View attachment 1340043 Toyota Alphard / 497 PP / runtime 5:05.766

Race 3
View attachment 1340048 Plymouth Firebird / 468 PP / runtime 6:34.059 :lol:

Race 4
View attachment 1340046 Toyota Yaris / 599 PP / runtime 11:14.368

Race 5
View attachment 1340052 Ok ... which one is me ?

All the best for the upcoming week, guys. I'm looking forward to the next content update and some great new cars. :cheers:
I know I know! 😂

Sorry for being later than usual in getting my weeklies up. The neoclassical event can go do one, but I finally got it done...so here's what I used, once again in PSVR2 and with hard AI;

Screenshot_2024-03-25-00-35-24-934.jpeg

• BVLGARI VGT omega nerfed to the suggested pp limit - actually ended up being the 2nd toughest race of the week lol, this thing gets neutered hard when reduced in performance, I was only able to pass te lead megane rs on the final corner!
  • Suzuki VGT nerfed to the suggested pp limit - a bit more of a relaxing drive, I still wouldn't get first until the last lap though, but I still got it thankfully, rather uneventful drive in all honesty, this car is very poised to do exactly what you want with some flair.
  • Plymouth Superbird.. on racing mediums with some light modifications (no supercharger, some bolt ones and a racing gearbox) - oh how I detest Daytona road course, it's why I wanted to get it over with, so I modified this birdy to levels that should be somewhat fair yet also make it a breeze.
  • Alpine A110S - this car I've had since at least week 1 of the game's release, i love thid thing and how it drives, so i had no qualms about taking it around suzuka, absolute pleasure to drive, with no trouble whatsoever, ran with sport softs too.
  • BMW/McLaren F1 GTR, on racing mediums and a tiny bit of ballast and downforce adjustments - THIS EVENT, HOW I HATE THEE...though the frist attempt in a de-powered Jag XJR-9 may have been my fault with it wanting to play ice skater on the dry tarmac...and me forgetting to lower the gears...no matter, with this Gr2 car (basically the only Gr2 car I use, balance be damned) I was just able to muster up a 2nd place finish, only had some light rain on lap 2, stopped halfway on lap 5 for a new set of tyres and a refuel and just patiently waited until most of the others had pit, thankfully I was 3rd by the beginning of the final lap and managed to finish 2nd overall...amusingly i lost to the first car i tried for this event - yes the Jaguar XJR-9 i mentioned eariler, as if to friggin spite me. Also the first attempt at this event was two days ago, flopped into 4th, was demotivated for a bit, but I didn't want to do it eschewing my usual rules, so I waited until an hour ago to do it and got it done now haha.

Big fan of the Clubman Cup events they've been adding lately. They're quite short and obviously the chase the rabbit format is still rubbish but the top end of the grids in these seem to bunch up and so when you catch up, you get a nice little race.

It's a shame that the entire race isn't as good as that part is, but when you have 5-6 JDM cars barrelling down the corkscrew together, it gives you a glimpse of the heart of Gran Turismo that I feel this game tries to hide a lot.

1711358365520.png

I know the recently-added Japanese Clubman Cup 550 round at Laguna Seca doesn’t have a strictly-enforced PP limit of 550, but just for fun, I decided to take my engine-swapped Honda S800 and get it just below the suggested limit. I think it ended up having just a tiny bit over 200HP, but I found it a blast to drive.

For the European Sunday Cup 500, I used the recently-added 2nd-gen Audi TT, without any changes. I even kept it on the Sports Hards.

The Neo-Classic Competetion was interesting. For whatever reason, the drivers in second and third pitted for a second time at the end of lap 9, so I ended up not only taking a clean P1, but second place was almost a full minute behind! I used my trusty CLK-LM on Racing Mediums, which I didn’t even need to swap out when I took on some fuel.

Last edited:

Race 1
View attachment 1340041 Lancia Stratos / 467 PP / runtime 3:28.226

Race 2
View attachment 1340043 Toyota Alphard / 497 PP / runtime 5:05.766

Race 3
View attachment 1340048 Plymouth Firebird / 468 PP / runtime 6:34.059 :lol:

Race 4
View attachment 1340046 Toyota Yaris / 599 PP / runtime 11:14.368

Race 5
View attachment 1340052 Ok ... which one is me ?

That van is hilarious.
I won a close race at Fuji. Was able to take first place only 3 corner before the Finish Line.

Last edited:
I'm going to try that today.
It's this one of course :
Have fun !

I wish they would let us turn on Liveries for normal and custom races the way they turned them on for the Superbee race. I didn't even know they had that many built-in liveries for one car in the game.

Finished the weeklies on my main account. Ran 3 races in the 2nd account:

Race 1 at Sardegna: Stock Porsche 911 Carrera RS (964) ‘92 - 520.29pp - 1st place by a nose. Overall a good car for this race. It poses a nice challenge while being fun to drive and surprisingly controllable. Took the lead on the straight to the finish line. Got the photo finish.

20970342260784543.jpg

Race 2 at Laguna Seca: Stock Nissan Z Performance ‘23 - 541.30pp - 1st place. This car is a bit of a mess. It’s like the front and back end aren’t in balance with each other. I used stock Lexus RC F in my main account and while that was a heavy and slippery car it at least could slide the whole car equally around the turns. This Z slides the back when trail braking, then slides all 4 tires, then the back grips so you give it gas and now the back slides a bit but the front grabs and upsets the car and you have to make all sorts of corrections. It’s just not very well balanced. I actually thing a downgrade in tires to CS may make this a more predictable car to drive. Whatever.

Race 4 at Suzuka: Tuned R32 GT-R V-spec II ‘94 - 603.16pp - 1st Place. I love this car. It is just so easy to drive. Weight reduction, aero, basic bolt-ons, racing transmission and some SS tires. It grips, it brakes, it accelerates, it never wavers at any moment. Just point it wherever you want to go and it does it without question. ~100pp below the recommendation and it makes this race a blast to do.

20970051392507168.jpg

I also ran the Nissan R92CP at Fuji in my main account. Once the rain came in it was all over. Won by half a minute.

Last edited:
Stuck on the neo classic race (never managed the menu either). Got 2.5m in credit. Is there something off the shelf to buy for this?

I've been struggling with this menu for 6+ months and it's driving me insane.

Last edited:
Stuck on the neo classic race (never managed the menu either). Got 2.5m in credit. Is there something off the shelf to buy for this?

I've been struggling with this menu for 6+ months and it's driving me insane.
The Escudo might work for you, otherwise wait until the cars change tonight and see if anything useful shows up. Other options would be something like an engine swapped R32/R33 but I think you'd probably struggle if you're already having trouble with that menu. Willow is the hardest race from what I can remember, the others you can just restart until it rains hard at some point because the AI will probably stay out on the wrong tyres and lose a ton of time.

Back