Weekly Race Series, Week 11 - A Tribute to Mazkid.

• Thread starter boombexus
  • 158 comments
I dont know... I think this car is sorta rough when its in the arcade mode.

I think it needs tuning bad, but at the same time, this does put us all on an even field.

Although, as I have mentioned before, this round is killing me... the track is just too long and twisty for me.

I guess I am falling victim to the fact that I am not doing well and therefore, my opinion of the track/car is being skewed.

Truth is, the car is one of the best in the game, but I still think the track is one of the hardest out there.

On the positive side, Im bringing my time down...

Its coming down with more and more work. My time that is.

However, I gotta say, its more work than any of the other races... the gt40, the opel astra, those were both simple in comparison to getting this car and track down.

I am just glad that I can compete next week also...

I mean, dont count me out, but if you must, go ahead and read into the fact that I am not too happy with my performance to date.

I will get back with you guys later.

It's kinda funny, I've got three best lap times with only 0.001 seconds from each other, even though in all cases I drove a completely different lap with different mistakes everywhere.

Well I finely got a 1.18 on T3, and somehow I don't think I'm going to do much better on this one.This was one hell of a track to start with :rolleyes:

Anyway though I'v got a question. I'm seriously thinkly about getting a wheel in the near future, and was wondering what kind is the best for around $50-80.

Blimey. I was looking for my old stuff for a book for my gf and I came across my original "Microprose Formula One Grand Prix" manual. This is the Geoff Crammond's first sort of realistic F1GP game, on the Atari ST. The fun is, it has a Technique section, including lines for the basic turnn types. So I've been trying them out on this game, and after a lap or 30 :embarrassed: I managed to run a lap using those lines. That lap was .2 slower however than my 'dirty' best lap, but it was 100% clean in terms of no spinning wheels, no squealing tires, no curbs touched. So it could be a great line to use in tirewear races, where avoiding all these will give you a lap or more per tires extra. Then I decided to run a slightly dirtier lap and got me a T3 1.16.8 lap with a good ending, improving my laptime by .6. Though I doubt it's 100% clean. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to think though that this track favors the DS2. :P Then again, it could just be me being ****e on this track. :irked:

EDIT: Just saw my first 20.5 :D Then I got so focussed on making a clean lap however that I got a second slow. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Aaaargh. I hope that my investment of 2 hours driving today is going to pay off sometime this weekend, or I might just get fed up with this game. :irked: :banghead:

Next time, can we do a race with a lot of subtlety please? Like a car on Simulation tires perhaps, or a slow car? :D

EDIT: looking back at my 20.8 42.2 1'16.8 lap I notice that at least that one is completely clean. :rolleyes: Just hope I can take another second off. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by lotus350
Me too :( Just can't piece a whole lap together that's fast, I can do all the corners right just not on the same lap as each other :irked:

Keep the tcs on Pedro, and try slide into the corners early straightening up as soon as you can making for a quick exit . Easier said than done though :rolleyes:

Cheers Kelly 👍 i,ve not yet tried to slide into corners yet ..I,ve been taking the conservative approach not working out well ..Best T3 so far was a 1'17.043 but the last schicane was all bad very bad :banghead:

I,ve had good sector times also but just can't string them together for that ultimate lap time i had a couple of 20.8's T1 and a few 41.9's T2 not too shaby it's just hanging on
I will be lucky to get a good result this week:irked:
I told yoose i was crap with this car :D
Back to the track for me :mischievous:

finally got around to second session last night and i must say, i no longer have the patience for this tish. i did manage a 1'15.911 t3 but it went to hell. i can't do this anymore. it's time to get back into the pasture. so long guys.

I dont know if I have mentioned any t times yet... so I might as well...

best of each...

t1: 21.0
t2: 42.9
t3: 1.19.0

Those are all different laps and my keeper so far is just rediculously horrid.

However, as I said before, the times are all coming down and with in the above mention t times are background stories that explain just how fast my time will be once I can really get this down.

Its just a matter of time, Ive gotta work today, tomorrow and sunday, so monday might be my only day to race.

If monday is my only day, my time woulnt come down much, but if I can race a little on each day till then, I garuntee the final time will be much better than it is now.

Talk to you guys with updates soon enough...

btw, hot damn max, that is just amazing... my avatar is because of times like that.

I love that car. :D I just need to get a good grip with the track... I think i'm too scared of attacking and hitting walls... Best T3 is 1'18.333, forgot my best T2... :embarrassed:

Well I am no master, but I will give my story, which I just told miata about...

I did a 1.18.6.

then a 1.18.8 with a final time that was .4 below the 1.18.6

Then I did the best to date...

I woulnt mention the amazing (for me) results.

But I will say that the lap had these rediculus t times...

My best t1 is a 21.0

So hopfully I will be pulling in a 1.16.9 by monday...

No matter what the deal is, I can say for sure now that I know why these pro's are getting 1.16's and 1.15's.

I might not get to that sort of pace, but Im deffinatly on my way.

btw, I did that after spending 2 days using an auto tranny... then today I switched back to my manual.

Coinsedence? who knows.

However, the problems I once had with this track and car are quickly fading.

also, all those times in my above description were yeilded from one session of just under an hour of work.

Talk to you guys soon with another update,
-kent

Edit:

I did a little research and now see that a 1.16 is gonna be one hell of a hard shot. For now, Im sticking with my 1.16 goal.

But its gonna be hard as hell to hit.

Does anyone else hate the position of T2 as much as I do by the way? If I read it I usually screw up the next section and I have to do my utmost not to let a blue time distract me. :irked: :lol:

That bloody T2 gets me just about every time :mad: i try and try not to see it but the colours creep into my vision..

I wish there was some way of turning off the on screen displays..
I would probably run better laps not knowing what times im running and just wait for the surprise at the end..

haha, so far ive done pretty well to avoid looking at the T2 until ive committed myself to the turn, most of the time i just ignore it and focus on my t1 and t3s. it still gets me every once and a while tho. "hey look at that time!" ::WALL:: "crap!!!"

:lol: I have been requested a few times to read out the T2 for a certain somebody :P

I'm often too slow on the ball though or he's already looked and crashed :lol:

I just ignore the T2 and look at the other 2 sectors .

In fact there's a few courses that have this problem :irked:

I can't remember what track it was ..

But i was running a race and the sector times where doing my nut in kept crashing..Then someone suggested sticking a post it note on the part of the screen where the sectors appear..
At first i laughed my ass off thinking that the post it note would be more of a problem having a big bit of paper stuck to your tv screen :lol:

But being me i tried it and it worked beat my best lap by over 2 seconds..Maybe i will try that tactic again :D
This time i will write on it "Don't look at this piece of paper ya dobber"
But it will be hard not to look at it :lol:

Na maybe not i will just stick with it the way it is ..Hopefully we will see an option in GT4 where you can turn all the displays off...I would love that :D

Black tape you say mmm i will need to check that out ..Less conspicuous ..Will blend in nicely with the night sky :lol:

Knowning me though i might try it :P :lol:

Just got a new best:

This tracks is way to looooong. To many chances to screw up! :irked:

A few more runs and a new best T1

It seems like my .400 gain was by not letting off the gas through the chicane after turn 1, but it's almost impossible not to hit the wall.

Are you pros out there in the 20's flooring it through that turn?

All of them, count on it. Yeah it's tough, but it's doable. Take a good look at the map, it helps to keep that in mind. You need the rumblestrips. First you make sure you hit the rumblestrip on the left at an angle at least greater then say 20deg. Then you turn right aiming to touch the rumblestrips on the right. If you take a tighter angle your rear hits the wall on the left and you're toast. If you're too early you hit the wall on the right and you're toast. Trick is to get it just right. I wish I was more consistent at it though, that would've rendered quite a few more good runs. I've crashed there billions of times, mainly because I figured out rather late how to do it and then it's tough to unlearn your mistakes. The section after that is even harder to do perfect, you need to touch the tip of the corner's rumblestrips with your front tire to just pull your car a little bit more into the corner. If you get the two of these right, you'll end up with a T1 of 20.5. But I managed that only once. :( :lol:

Control aside, how easy is it to induce a slide? Would a driver have to go to the edge just to get a break in traction?

It took me forever to get used to how big this car is. I mean, it's bigger than it appears from the cockpit. I get all set up for the apex and WHAM!, sudden stop. It's also, an utter PIG with ASM enabled. I finally got it in my ballpark, but pussyfooted the last two sectors.

1. T1: 20.638
    T2: 42.185
    T3: 1:16.986
    [/list=1] I saved that lap and ran one more, pushing it. All of my sector times were slower, but the overall lap was faster. Just when I am making progress, I have to leave. Maybe I'll sleep on the plane.

@Boombexus: I have submitted my time. Twice.

Originally posted by Luxy

Are you pros out there in the 20's flooring it through that turn?

Yes. And it goes pretty much like Arwin described.

It is possible to take that turn at full-speed, but it requires a good timing aand a lot of luck. I think i manage to make it crashfree through that corner 50% of my attempts.

had another 20 lap session w/ this last night, i still couldnt beat the time i pulled the second night out. I think im learing where i can make up some time tho, but i just cant put it together for a clean lap yet! grrr

Back