Weekly Race Series, Week 11 - A Tribute to Mazkid.

• Thread starter boombexus
  • 158 comments
Well, i am still at my clean 20.581/41.775/1.15.919 save.

Haven't driven since, but i will try to improve one more time tomorrow. I think this will be the one i will submit though.

This race is up in the air for me. whatever i decide, i just want it known that i won't be racing this series for a while. i plan to concentrate on other races, among other thing.

ok i'm done here :mischievous:

best save has 20.486 / 41.536 / 1.15.541

my thumb is dead after that last session :( thank god thats over 👍

good luck to all:)

Well I'm a shameful 1.3 sec off that T3 time and I doubt I'll catch up! :( I'll give it one more shot right now, but I doubt I can do it after drinking all that wine. :lol: Seriously, I have a tough time keeping up. I think I'm losing most of the time in T1-T2, just can't get that second hairpin right. I got a new line from a book, but its a new way of turntaking and I can't time it perfectly yet at all. Ah well. Makes me feel like an absolute beginner. Paa pa pahoem. :odd: :lol:

Well, that's it for me. My PS2 just went down the crapper. Won't even read a disk now. Heck, it wont even show that there is a disk in the damn thing.
Time for another one. :irked:
I should be able to get one by tomorrow hopefully. I can't go without my PS2.

I lost the enthusiasm this week , just seem to be struggling with this combo :(
I have a clean lap done on the DS2, I guess I'll just leave it at that for this week. Don't know what my sectors are as I done it a few days ago ( might have already posted 'em) and have hardly been on it since, I don't expect a good result this week at all.

For me it's a case of... 'little effort = crappy time ' :D

Well for me it's tons of effort = crappy time. :irked: I put in no less than 3 hours straight just now, yielding NO better laps than from last session. :mad: I got one lap that was .3 faster, but that one had a :banghead: ... :irked:

On the plus side, I have now seen a T3 of 1'16.4 ... after a T1 of 21.0 and a T2 of 42.2! :odd: I have also seen a T2 of 41.8 and a T1 of 20.4, so if I can add it all up tomorrow in one lap, I should have a respectable time on my hands. :D

Unfortunately it's not bloody likely I can even move my arms and legs anymore tomorrow, they'll be totally stiff after today's effort. That's Force Feedback driving for ya. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, as Lotus seems to be entering a DS2 time, I could still be the best wheel driver in this weeks challenge, which is a little bonus. :lol:

gaaahhh, im killin myself (and my controller) w/ this race. I can not for the life of me do any better than the 20.8/42.0/1'16.8 i pulled on the second night of this race. I dont know what i was on at the time, but i cant even get close to that any more. Ive got one more day to try and better myself, but i really doubt its gonn happen.

:irked: this is one tough mutha still no improvement ..I have a lap saved from thursday but i doubt i will beat it ..Allthough i have seen some decent sector times since then just can't string those together :mad:

I had a good run or so i thought T1 20.4 :eek: my first ever :) T2 41.8 :eek: did'nt think i would get that ..T3 16.3 :eek: :eek: :eek:All clean and sweet as a nut.. But i fell victim to the Pedro curse ..(THE LAST BLOODY CORNER):mad: After that run i did'nt have the heart to run anymore laps ..Too soul destroying :(

I might give it one last go because im well within my time barrier and now im to close to a second i may as well give it a shot..But im not expecting much though :)

Good luck peeps ;)

Originally posted by lotus350
I lost the enthusiasm this week , just seem to be struggling with this combo :(
I don't expect a good result this week at all.

For me it's a case of... 'little effort = crappy time ' :D

Hmmmm...

Sounds like someone is reading the diary I never wrote...

I am in the same boat... little effort, really bad time.

Oh wait, that means Im in a different boat... the one with the really ****ty times and even less effort... or wait, is it a horrible time and tons of effort:confused:

I dont know.

But I do know one thing for sure...

I have tonight off work and my bro is working, so the ps2 is mine and will not see even 1 minute of a news cast.

This means that the 1.16 t3 can count on being shot down from its lofty perch and plan on being turned in with a big fat stamp of "gokents" on it.

Plus, even if I dont get that 1.16, I will still be happy because this week will finally be over and I will get the chance to do a race with something a bit more up my alley. (hopefully)

Now, I just need to go and figure out what this next race will bring... hmmm...

Ahh, thats it. I have my guesses, but at risk of ruining the suprise, Im only gonna tell one of my buddies, that way they can comfirm or deny any claims that I am able to predict the future.

I will be back at the end of the night with a wrap up post and maybe some good news.

Till then, good luck on all of the desperate, last minute sessions...
==============================
edit...

Well, based on the results of my 1 hour session that I just put down, Im gonna be posting a whole lot more.

I yeilded my best clean lap and put down my best times in the overall sense as well. (which means it was better than any of my "dirty laps" also)

T1: 20.9 (matched it before this lap)
T2: 42.3 (42.6 was the closest till just now)
T3: 1.17.1 (.17's have become common, .17.4 was lowest till now)

The times mentioned in the parenthases are from various laps in which nothing was really falling together.

Now I can come close to resting easy.

I still have to run for another hour or two tonight to see if I can get that 1.16.? but I dont know if it will happen.

What ever the case, my goal at the begining of this was atleast to make the 1.17's and that has been acheived.

I'm just not too fast and will probably not get a better time. I'd hoped to get at least .3 better, but unlikely. I'll send my time in now.

Ok... I had just about given up and started to race for my other series...

But now I realize that time managment is what I need.

The other series' race's time is due on friday, but this race is due today...

Im gonna go back to the 787 for the rest of the racing I do today and hopefully I will meet the newer and faster goals of a 42.1 and a 1.16.9.

If I can get to those, then I know Im growing as a racer...

I already know how fast I am. (If I could even call myself fast)

But I know, more importantly, that I suck with these cars like the 787 in comparison to my skills with the other race cars.

However, with this race, Im planning on rewriting that rule and getting a time worthy of being compared to my previous performances.

I just want to know one thing...

after the t2, there is a right hander that leads into a left... after that, there is a funny long left that is stretched out and its really one of the turns that is killing me.

Could I get a little advice on that from you guys?

I have resorted to doing a "delayed apex" where I am waiting to shoot for the apex and it seems to be doing a little better, but nothing great. (although on occassion it is allowing me to go full throttle out of that turn.)

Thanks for any help.
-kent
==============================
edit:

This is sorta early, especially since I didnt get the chance for any help... but...I just did the best lap I possiblly can.

I think...

Anyway, here are the results.

The time will be up with all the others, but I am thinking it will hold water against most of the 1.16's although I am still a far cry from the 1.15's...

However, now that this has occurred, I believe I may be able to pull a 1.16.5 and if I can do that, then I will be going beyond what I thought possible.

I am gonna send in my time now... If I get the 1.16.5, then it will be worth the extra pm to boom... however, dont worry boom, I dont think a 1.16.5 is possible for me right now.

For the record to anyone feeling bad about their efforts in this round ..........:embarrassed:

It took me over 20 hours track time over the week to get my end save time , (my hardest hotlap to piece together in the series)..... so before anyone thinks it's totally easy when you have your name in the Pro category ! It's not !!

i knew my sectors added together were not giving me the end time i deserved and, I hope plenty of relief and satisfaction is to be had for the few who think some breeze it ;) ... I could have stopped on wednesday last , but pushed it for a good few days more just to make .5 of a second in the end :embarrassed:

We do what we can , :cool: laters all.

Originally posted by Mr P
For the record to anyone feeling bad about their efforts in this round ..........:embarrassed:

It took me over 20 hours track time over the week to get my end save time , (my hardest hotlap to piece together in the series)..... so before anyone thinks it's totally easy when you have your name in the Pro category ! It's not !!

i knew my sectors added together were not giving me the end time i deserved and, I hope plenty of relief and satisfaction is to be had for the few who think some breeze it ;)

True. I spend a good 5 hours before i had this time.

... I could have stopped on wednesday last , but pushed it for a good few days more just to make .5 of a second in the end :embarrassed:

We do what we can , :cool: laters all.

Damn. You took .5 secs of that time?

well... it looks like I have found some light at the end of a theoretical tunnel...

I just ran a 1.18.0 that had a final time with a split that would be equal to my 1.16.7 having a final time of 1 tenth below what I turned in.

I doubt I will be able to hit the 1.16.7 again, none the less put down a final sector that is equal to the one I pulled on the 1.18 mentioned above, but if I can... it will yeild a time that is .1 faster than my fastest.

I also want to note that although I have been advanced to the pro class, I still have a ton of learning to do...

notice this...

made in holland put down these t times on his last post...

now compare to my own...

20.6 (just a tenth off)
41.9 (now 2 tenths off)
1.16.7 (boom!... way off target)

So in between t2 and t3 I lose a full second (just about) to the top pros while through out the rest of the course (first half atleast) I only lose about 2 tenths.

That right there represents not only a split in the top pros and myself, but a split between the overall racing quality of every group here.

I am willing to bet that the beginers suffer similar differences with the amatuers.

So I propose from here on out that when we discuss this stuff, on occassion, we take the time to look at each other and be critical of where the slower drivers are lossing time.

I dont want it to be nasty or insulting, but creative and intuitive.

If we can take the "drivers aid" do the next level, there is a good chance more and more drivers will be making improvments like what I have done... going from the middle of the pack in the amatuers to the bottom of the pros.

Also to help this along, I thought it would be a good idea if we could get a map for each course, just like the one provided in this race.

Someone, forgive my lack of memory, gave a great map at the begining of this thread and it has served well to many of us to be able to easily discuss the track, as well as to get an idea of the course design in general.

Thanks, you unknown contributor.... that helped.

Anyway, thanks also goes to everyone who is helping out the slower racers.

Talk to you guys in the results. (unless a fluke happens and I pull that theoretical best I was rambling about)

cya.

@GoKents, I really like the idea of critiquing each other's times. I feel like I leaned a *lot* in the first few races I did in the series, but my learning curve lately has tapered off a lot (I'm still getting better, but not nearly as quickly).

I'm a lot further back than you, but my splits so far are:

(Not all on the same lap, of course :irked: )

I think I'm losing time most on the chicane after T2, turns 11 and 12.

I think I'm probably braking too early, or sliding too much.

P.S. The map was me :D

Sweet, the map does help... now as for the racing and helping... I cant be the sort of help the others can...but I will say a few things...

first off, although it seems silly, I think this car has amazing braking potential, and more importantly; when the car is braking in a straight line, there are times where a slight turn at the wheel causes a drifting during braking... not so much a slide as a drift. (the difference being that one is controlled and the other isnt.)

If I was you, I would try braking into the t2 turn a bit late and seeing what you can do with a bit of the drift I speak of.

That means, to me, that instead of trying to point at the turn and hit the brakes going for a straight shot, try going towards the wall (in a sense) and braking hard, then induce the drift.

This will usually create a turn that is more controlled than the best attempts at threading the needle with straight line braking.

That strategy works based on the driver more than anything, so start with learning the braking distance.

Do this by running a few laps and only concentrating on braking hard and late, that should give you an idea of what the car can do.

Then try the same thing with the above mentioned drift idea... eventually, you might be able to yeild a faster time.

I will be back with more about turns 11 and 12, but its time for dinner.

Talk to you soon.

Originally posted by GoKents

notice this...

made in holland put down these t times on his last post...

now compare to my own...

20.6 (just a tenth off)
41.9 (now 2 tenths off)
1.16.7 (boom!... way off target)

So in between t2 and t3 I lose a full second (just about) to the top pros while through out the rest of the course (first half atleast) I only lose about 2 tenths.

That right there represents not only a split in the top pros and myself, but a split between the overall racing quality of every group here.

I am willing to bet that the beginers suffer similar differences with the amatuers.

Can you perhaps describe how you take the corners between T2 and T3? What gear, what speed, how you steer in and where? So we can help you find your second back. I get the impression that you don't take those corners as fast as possible.

Thought I'd give it one last shot and just wasted an hour of my sleep time :irked:

Sectors on my save are ...

21.052 /42.414 / 1'17.007

and to be honest I've not gone much quicker than that all week .

What makes it even worse is this...

21.007 / 42.443 / 1'17.724 ..... these are the sectors of my soon to be 12 year old son who's submitting under the name of Harry Snotter :rolleyes:

Boom ... just put him down as Andrew ;) I'll submit his time too 👍

Ok...

I did a little analysis of my driving...

The problems lye within a number of turns that I am taking wrong even by my own knowledge of proper driving technique.

one by one...

first.

The combination of 12 and 13.

12 is performed properly, but thirteen is way off...

It seems I am jumping down into the most inner lane of the four lanes... this leads me out of the turn too soon and inturn, a correction must be made as I leave.

This turn section is taken in third gear the entire way.

The gas is used in more of a sputtering fashion than a constant half throttle and the brake is not used at all... only a coasting action is used for slowing down.

Second is the 15,16,17 turn combination.

This is is my biggest problem...

I seem to try and dive wide into 15 on the inside as to make a apex possible for 16, but usually this leads to a wide, off apex turn on 16 in second gear.

That action, inturn throws me too far out for the apex at 17 and requires a mean drift to get back on line for the 18 double.

As with my other trouble spot, I use the gas in a all or nothing sense, sometimes dropping down a gear just to hope for correction of line based on oversteer. (never works)

15 and 16 are in second gear (once I get down to speed) and once I overshoot and go wide for 17 its full throttle...

However, 18 comes into play immediatly after 17 and the double known as 18 is taken in second gear again...

Usually, I can take this turn with some drift and go full throttle.

After that, its just a matter of playing the proper line on 19, which can and have done.

I hope that gives an idea of where I stand...

I have marked the key spots of my trouble on this map cropping and illustration with a path marked in red, and white/red dots to symbolize the spots of mention...

Thanks for the interest in helping.

Attachments

• ssr11 markings.jpg
    ssr11 markings.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 52
Ok, after three solid hours, a new best lap, but it's bittersweet :( ... the one I'm submitting is:

1'17.4

But I had one lap that was:

1'16.9

... of course I just barely grazed the wall coming out of turn 18. Ack! Half a freakin' second :irked: . Oh, well.

@GoKents, drifting through 11 worked well, I gained a lot that way, thanks.

This was a tough race, but I feel good that I at least saw 1'16!

Originally posted by Luxy

@GoKents, drifting through 11 worked well, I gained a lot that way, thanks.

This was a tough race, but I feel good that I at least saw 1'16!

Ummm, yea...

Thats sorta a suprise to me... not because you managed to do it, but because of the fact that I managed to help.

Thanks for letting me know, its actually quite the suprise to know I helped out, and Im glad I did.

Lets just hope this atmosphere of helping each other out can carry into next week and the week after that, etc...

good luck everyone, that deadline is fast approaching.;)

Im done w/ this. a solid week of attempts could not better my time, so thats enough for me. I guess ive got a decent time, but i wish i coulda done better...oh well, cant be good at everything!! gonna submit my time later

Well, I gave it three solids efforts and that was it. I tried loading it today, but my racing is off. . . The only thing I can

hope for is that next week we get to tune at Cote. . . at least that is my perdiction. . . I also want to predict it

either being an American car of some sort, mostly likely not the corvette. . . Viper SS or Mustang. . . I

also have afeeling that Boom, you might just flip the script on us and possibly use and italian

car . . . Zonda. (Gokents, that is your prediction and should receive credit!)

We'll see.

eh? i think you hit post reply instead of PM there buddy...haha. If not, either way, this comps not over for another couple hours yet

Back