Weekly Race Series, Week 53

• Thread starter Kent
  • 192 comments
Finally found a place in this country that sells xports. (others go like "X-what? you mean X-box?"). Just so you don't look clumsy RSCosworth, mine will be worse :lol:.

2 on the grass and 2 on the red-white strip is legal. there need to be *at least* 2 wheels on the track, and the red-white strip is considered to be part of the track.

My guess is, if you win this one, scuderia, goKents will promote you (or even earlier :cool: )

See if I can post up some T's this evening to keep you guys laughing :P

Originally posted by Rolfje

2 on the grass and 2 on the red-white strip is legal. there need to be *at least* 2 wheels on the track, and the red-white strip is considered to be part of the track.

My guess is, if you win this one, scuderia, goKents will promote you (or even earlier :cool: )

Ok, I thought so myself. Thanks!

I made 0.2s faster lap, now with 20.33//39.55.

@scuderia, I think that you´ll be promoted sooner or later this (or the next) week, and you deserve it 👍

2 tires on the curb + 2 tires on the grass (planned and still fast) = rockstar!
2 tires on the track + two on the curb = aggressive
1 tire on the curb/track + 3 in the grass/dirt = game over
4 tires in the dirt/grass = hello wall/guard-rail!

:-)

I'm doing my best to win this one in div 3...but it will be ultra close!!!!!

Originally posted by scuderia229
2 tires on the track + two on the curb = aggressive
1 tire on the curb/track + 3 in the grass/dirt = game over
4 tires in the dirt/grass = hello wall/guard-rail!
4 tyres on the track = not trying :D

Very true for OLR. It's really a problem with the game formulation though. The strips are supposed to be there for the inner most (w.r.t. the curve) 2 tires, not the outermost....

Correct me if I'm wrong but f1 cars don't often run 2 on the curb 2 in the grass. That's because the grass slows them down (not enough traction w/ which to put down hp).

Still the rules for OLR need to be the way they are because otherwise we'd be throwing out laps where we got 1 or 2 tires off of the track... and those should be admissible.

Hell... all tires off the track should be admissible. But we don't want to get into games of who can cut the grass better.

It's a tricky situation. The only solution I can think of is that GT4 should penalize your speed more for going through the grass.

Nah. Rules are fine as they are, and GT4 should exactly be what GT3 was: a realistic simulation of what a car does on a track (or on the gras, for that matter).

Effectively this should result in slower laps, because picking up dirt in the grass will ruin your tires (THAT's why you don't want to get into the grass in real life, even if it is rock solid like the track).

To make a realistic simulation, you should have realistic freedom to try things out (hey, look my car goes funny on the gras).

Okay, enough serious talk, time for some laughs:
T1 21.545
T2 42.793

Standard Castrol Supra, shortened the gears and bought T8's.

I use my left stick for steering, and I think that's the problem. I can't get my car aligned the same way twice around a corner. Maybe I will try the "button tapping" steering method tomorow, but it will seriously mentally conflict with switching the manual gears.

Should have taken those piano lessons... :P

Well guys, I have good news. (for me :D )

It's my laps and a keeper.

Sure enough, I took the time to review my fastest lap. (which I assumed was dirt)

Turns out, I was straight up trippin and that fastest lap is actually perfectly clean. (not even the usual close call.)

So I have a keeper.

Nothing to burn up the track based on what Im seeing throughout this thread, but atleast I will have something to turn in. :D

Catch you guys later.
btw, I think my racing on this one is over... got in some time yesterday, and a tiny bit before that, but now Ive gotta start testing for next weeks run. :mischievous:

Like I said before... any suggestions are welcome... just put them in the suggestions thread. :D
Later.

Almost gained what I lost by stupidity this morning:
My 4 fastest laps are within 0.011 with 2'nd and 3'rd at the same time and the 4'th 0.001 after. Never seen that before. :D
I've done a 39.48x and some 39.5xx out there, so I'll keep trying. :cool:

Originally posted by Rolfje
Nah. Rules are fine as they are, and GT4 should exactly be what GT3 was: a realistic simulation of what a car does on a track (or on the gras, for that matter).

Effectively this should result in slower laps, because picking up dirt in the grass will ruin your tires (THAT's why you don't want to get into the grass in real life, even if it is rock solid like the track).

To make a realistic simulation, you should have realistic freedom to try things out (hey, look my car goes funny on the gras).

Okay, enough serious talk, time for some laughs:
T1 21.545
T2 42.793

Standard Castrol Supra, shortened the gears and bought T8's.

I use my left stick for steering, and I think that's the problem. I can't get my car aligned the same way twice around a corner. Maybe I will try the "button tapping" steering method tomorow, but it will seriously mentally conflict with switching the manual gears.

Should have taken those piano lessons... :P

well...you don't see F1 cars cutting corners with wheels in the grass. You will see them cut corners if the inner or outer parts past the curbs are paved or hard dirt, particuallry going WAY out (watch the nurburing or A1 ring races form last season). I remember a few times in qualifying last season the top drivers we taking areas too straight, mainly chicanes on friday qualifying. By Saturday morning the course marshals had put up markers or blocks to supposively stop them from doing it, or they told the drivers so and so is now out of bounds. So it does change.

Watch the DTM...those goys in tin top touring cars will plow ANYTHING and evertyhing, except for gravel (well the Audis try at times, hahaha). I've watched those drivers almost get four wheels in the grass to get a better line and watch them at the nurburing and i think hockenheim from last season to see how much of the paved surfaces on the outsides of the corners they use, sometimes it looks like make your own circuit. They WILL put two wheels in the grass too. Touring cars are a touch more forgiving in that way than F1 cars.

British formula 3 drivers will use the grass too...but i think some of that is youth and inexperience. Open wheel cars generally don't like grass and curbs.

NASCAR on their two road track races...watch THOSE tank like cars use the curbs and dirt....they have no shame, some of those guys i think feel they are faster if they are drifting corners in the dirt.....but those cars are like tanks but the drivers have no fear when it comes to cutting corners and bouncing out on two wheels (i.e. the bus stop at watkins glen).

JGTC cars use alot of the track and some off of it as well...but the DTm is the worst.

My feeling is that the grass is out of bounds. you can have two wheels on the track and two on the curb but the two on the curb two in the grass (at midfield think turn one at times) is out of bounds to me. that being said, to compete with these times I AM putting two wheels in the grass at times at midfield, I'd prefer not to but it is faster if i can...fast amtters and it is ok as far as the rules so why not.

The issue is that at actual races the course marshals have the say in racers meetings. if they see something they don't like they stop it there and warn the drivers. We don't have that luxury here in the weekly other than reveiwing replays after the fact.

So until it is banned 2 wheels in the grass or up on the curb/sidewalk (think seattle or tokyo) is rockstar status....

the grass DOES bite in Gt3 in places...it isn't always a magic free ride for faster laps. you gotta watch it. Midfield has very "friendly" grass...where say.....grand valley has "mean" grass but nice dirt...go figure....

Still no laps from me, but since I got my "spring" break next week, I can spend some extra time on this.

...Don't count me out yet :mischievous:

All right! I'm not the only one a few seconds behind you people. I thought I was going to be the only one running at the rear of the race, but it's nice to have a partner. Although, I'll probably be in last by the end, it makes me feel lots better to know that I'm not being completely blown away.

T1 - 20.749
T2 - 41.298

I've actually had a little time with it, too. Not as much as I'd like, but some time. Hopefully I'll have a chance to nab internet access Monday to submit my time, even if I'll be the caboose.

82 laps tonight, now my car is fully broken in (I forgot to save my game last night so I went back to 23 miles at the start of tonight). REALLY bad day at work so I took my aggression out on Midfield and took .6 of my best clean save.

T1 20.269
T2 39.584

I saw a few 20.0xx T1s and a 39.2 T2 but the above sectors are about average for me now, i can hit them pretty consistently.

I settled on my settings. Mr.Ps settings with the final drive set to 3.680,TC set to 1 with the downforce -5 f/r from Mr.Ps and T6s.

Absolute crap tonight, put 200kays on the bloody thing for no result :mad:, changed the setup more often than i change underwear but to no avail
Have noted Mr.P's :bowdown: setup which I shall try tomorrow
:cheers:

Well my first wrs. My best so far: 21.338 & 42.290 and i was going to post it but when i got to this thread I remembered about the oil change!! duh!!!. Also Rolfje is running on T8s, I thought we could only use T5s. If we can change tyres im sure I can get my time down substantially. Please advise GoKents.

From page one:

The Car: Buy a Castrol Supra(sim car).

Super Soft Tires. (change oil all you want.)
No turbo upgrades. (there are no other upgrades available.)

The Track: Midfield I

The Race: Hotlap. Get your best single lap time. (arcade mode free run)

Originally posted by eggmann
Since the rules call for Super Softs, is it even legal to run a harder tire?

That is a good question. Never considered it. I've been intentionally running T6 tires the past 2 nights. If you read the rules it does imply a control tire (T8) doesn't it?

GoKents can we have a rulling on this one?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GoKents

Now for the race...
1 tribute race as everyone should have predicted.
Qualification Race + Week 1 =
The Car: Stock Castrol Supra(sim car).
Free tire and oil choice. No turbo upgrades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this was the original wording in the first post, and was changed later for clarity. Judging from a few of Kent's other posts on the first page, I think the intent was/is free choice of tires.

:D

Go ahead and run whatever tires you want.

However, know this my friends, anything besides t8s will result in slower lap times.

Use whatever you want though.

Next week I will make the rules more specific. ;)

super softs and an oil change 20.732 &41.072. This i think ill keep

Originally posted by oxygenuk
is there a way i can replay a certain lap.

e.g. i do 30 laps and want to only view the 21st lap
Only if it's your fastest lap in that session.

EDIT: Just improved my time.
39.444444 :D

Scuderia has a good point about the "on-grass" driving discussion we had. Maybe the solution is then to have pilons in the corners (like those in the last lefthander to the finish at laguna seca).

You can then still cut corners in the game since it is no invisible wall, and the online racers could have a rule saying something about not knocking over the pilons. Best of both worlds, and easely controllable by viewing the replays.

Will try to do some more laps this weekend, I hope it will do good, as I am a rock bottom times right now (haven't seen anybody post slower times than mine :lol: ) I hope I'll get some real experience in this series, because driving against the AI cars in GT is clearly not "learning from the best".

Improved again for probably the last time

20.3 (same as last time)
39.2 (0.2 faster)
Got the last sector spot on too :D

Time submitted

I am submitting early because I'm heading out of town for carnival until tuesday, I'll post my sector times when I get back.

Till the next weekly race guys :)

A little more progress;

20.267 39.570

Didn't do too badly on the third sector, though the hairpin is always an adventure, and frequently a disaster. :odd:

Back