Weekly Race Series, Week 7 - Astranomical

• Thread starter boombexus
  • 131 comments
Actually, Im not sure about that toe thing.

I think postive creates over and negative decreases.

However, I did something else anyway.

I went and got over my ego thing, and put my tcs at 5.

Then I used settings that are on the medium level with everything.

It worked out and laps are now faster than before. Even with the same t2 Im getting about a sec faster... almost.

Anyway, Im gonna look into the toe thing but check this out...

I think this is what it shows on the settings screen.

Sorry about the double post...

Heres the theoretical diagram...

Attachments

• toe diagram.jpg
    toe diagram.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 123
hmm...now i remember why I dont own this car...i hate it!! Especially after being so used to the R390, which handles like its on rails..and this car..does not. So far after tryin to come up w/ my own settings, ive managed
T1:17.1
T2:48.2
T3:1'04.8

which isnt BAD since i havent really spent a whole lotta time on this yet...but its really gonna take some work on this car. It doesnt take orders as well as the R390 does

im really gonna try on this race !! :rolleyes:

EDIT]// havent been that good because of so much homwork at the moment..:(

This car is a complete DUNGBOX handles like a brick through wet sand..:lol:
Im not having much luck with this ..This car hates me and the feelings mutual :mad:
It cannot decide if it wants to over or understeer every laps totaly different when it comes to cornering

I,ve tried numerous setups to try and make this piece of dung remotely drivable so far no joy what so ever
I don't even have a prelim lap to work from ..Thats how bad it is ..Sorry rant over:blush:

I can honestly say now that im not going to put a great deal of effort into this race..
I may even drop out of this one (not because i will do badly) i just hate this car and i want my DS2 to survive a wee bit longer :lol:

Just had my first proper attempt...

Sectors = 16.929/ 47.224/1'03.236

This is the set up I'm using ( borrowed, of course)

10 / 10
45 / 55
10 / 10
10 / 10
1.9 / 1.1
2.0 /2.0
4/5
24 / 19
20/60/20

tranny trick , auto 21 final 4.480

max df ( gotta love the sparks! )
asm 0
tcs 4 ( this certainly needed some tcs )

Maybe you should give this a try Pedro, and just stay easy on the gas through the corners ;) as for your DS2 ... I'm using a taped up one this round, and we got one that has no rubber on the analogues and then there's another one that ...... etc, etc get the picture? :D

:lol:

Cheers lotus i will try those settings out ..👍

I think i will get my taped DS2 out as well (this is my anger pad ) poor wee DS2 it's not it's fault :lol: ..This pad i have had to fix a least ten times now and it still works amazing really (But it sure looks ugly):lol:

It's good to know im not the only one that bounces DS2's around when things don't work out :lol:

i'm the DS2 killer in this house :embarrassed: i have had about 7 - 9 DS2's since getting my PS2 on release day :rolleyes: :embarrassed:

anyway i think i'll run a few in the astra :mischievous: i'll be bock :D

@Mr P so your the one responsible for beating up those DS2's :lol:
I've been through 3 all ready one's completely gubbed (Now use it as spare parts) this had an unfortunate meeting with the wall ..
I think you can guess what happened to it:lol:
My other one is held together with scotch tape (none of the screws work anymore):lol:
And i,ve got one that i treat nice ;)

Anyways tried those settings Lotus posted up..
Made a couple of changes TCS 7 Gears Auto 31 Ride 75/65...
They are working not to bad at the mo got a T2..47.734 T3..1'04.107

Im still not completely comfortable with this car yet ..Maybe it's that way im driving it
But i will try even though i still think this car is a DUNGBOX :lol:

Cheers 👍

Alright, I put down a 47.2 t2.

Now, what I really want to mention is the idea of toe once more.

I am now believing that miata13b is right!

negative toe will induce oversteer.

Postive will reduce oversteer.

I had been under an impression of what toe was that was false.

Toe does not work as depicted in my picture...

I have done more research and now have this picture to show...

some of you may recognize it.

I thank the original artist who did it.

Attachments

• toe3.jpg
    toe3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 141
ok run a few in the astra on roller blades :D

T2 46.6 ............. T3 1.02.9

I just ran my best yet.

It was a 47.0 and it is my best lap by a full second.

I put down a 48.0 that was my best lap purely due to the second halves times... however, I have consistantly been running in the 47.5 range.

None of those 47's could match the 48.0 and just a few minutes ago I put down a 47 flat that I am really confident of.

Even with p above me putting in a 46 something, I believe I will be putting in a performance that is on par with my best in the entire weekly racing series yet.

I will be back later whether or not I continue to progress.

Originally posted by Mr P
ok run a few in the astra on roller blades :D

T2 46.6 ............. T3 1.02.9

:eek: cripes man! Are you sure youre driving an astra?? haha...wow. Did some work on this earlier and managed a new best lap time that was .400 better than my previous one, although my sector times remained relatively unchanged :odd: my t1 was only .100 better, t2 was the same, and t3 was .100 better than my previous best save. I think im finding a lotta improvement AFTER the sector times, now i just need to get some more improvment before them too..haha. Im still tweaking the settings out tho. This is the kinda car that you really have to build your own settings to suit your driving style. Yeah thats true of most cars, but ESPECIALLY this one. I dont think theres any one magic setting for this one

Originally posted by IDAFC21
This is the kinda car that you really have to build your own settings to suit your driving style. Yeah thats true of most cars, but ESPECIALLY this one. I dont think theres any one magic setting for this one

You got that right Man :mischievous: :irked: :P

@Mr P Roller Blades ?? Is that a term you use for crazy assed camber angles ??:lol:

When you say that.. the Civic in the GT3 genome project Video comes to mind dunno why :confused:

Tried a few laps today and got nowhere near my lap time from yesterday. Only managed a best T2 of 47.5

Will try again tomorrow :irked:

Originally posted by pedrodaman
You got that right Man :mischievous: :irked: :P

@Mr P Roller Blades ?? Is that a term you use for crazy assed camber angles ??:lol:

When you say that.. the Civic in the GT3 genome project Video comes to mind dunno why :confused:

:lol: No he usually calls them "**** heaps" or "what a piece of **** car this is " :D

wow UBEE those settings are awesome i just whooped my fastest time by 2 and a half seconds
my t1 was 0'18.xxx but my t2 was 0'49.421 my t3 was in the 1'06's but very close to the '05's nice one!;) 👍 oh and that was my first try with those settings

cheers for clearing that up :lol:

That Civic :lol: (do you know the one im on about?) was the first thing that came to mind :lol:

Maybe the camber part came from watching someone trying to roller blade but they don't quite have the balance quite right and it looks like crazy camber angles..

Maybe i should just shut up now :lol:

:D "Fiddled" a bit w/settings this AM & am 1 sec behind "Mr P" @ both T2 & T3. Just hope I can stay 1 sec. behind @ the Finish Line!!! Still feel there's lots more to be found even in my AT/Wheel set-up...UB57
:D

BTW: Great progress bondy_1625 👍, dearly wish I could find 2.5 seconds somewhere!!!

Progress so far:

T1 - 17.0xx
T2 - 48.6xx :irked:
T3 - 1'04.8xx

Setup:

I started tuning along the same lines as GoKents, trying to minimize the power-on oversteer, but came to the conclusion that this thing just needs an ego-killing amount of TCS ... 7 (I know, I know .. uncool :( ).

With a higher TCS setting, I can tune the rest of the car pretty much how I like, rather than screwing with every part just to get rid of the oversteer.

Here's what I've ended up with . The car feels pretty stable (especially coming out of turns), and turns better at high speed than it did with the anti-oversteer setup.

8/16
60/65
6/10
6/10
3/0
0/0
5/7

16/20

5/5/5
Auto 18, Final 3.275 (Gear Trick)

1.00/1.25

Thoughts, anyone?

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but just for reference ... here are the licence tests/time trials at GVS ... watching the demos is pretty enlightening :)

B-5 and B-6 (Hairpin through the first tunnel)
A-1 (Turn 1)
IB-5 (Final Chicane)

TT7 (Not very enlightening :irked: )

I too are having to resort to using TCS at level 7 ..It's the only way i can keep this thing on the road :irked:

You could maybe try lowering your rear springs to to those at the front
And up your dampers to around 9/10

Just a suggestion:)

I believe you need to drive the car rather than trying to power round the corners to get any kind of a decent lap..

This is what i found works for me :)

Thanks, pedro, I'll give those suggestions a shot.

I had the front springs and bound low to try and get the car to turn a little sharper ... But you're right, I am trying to power through the corners..

Back to the drawing board ... :rolleyes: :lol:

Originally posted by pedrodaman
cheers for clearing that up :lol:

That Civic :lol: (do you know the one im on about?) was the first thing that came to mind :lol:

Maybe the camber part came from watching someone trying to roller blade but they don't quite have the balance quite right and it looks like crazy camber angles..

Maybe i should just shut up now :lol:

:lol: yeah I know what you're on about, and I see what you mean about them rollerbladers :lol:

And to the rest of you... just keep trying TCS at 7 seems a bit high to me , maybe lower it and just go easy in the corners ?

Originally posted by GoKents
Alright, I put down a 47.2 t2.

Now, what I really want to mention is the idea of toe once more.

I am now believing that miata13b is right!

negative toe will induce oversteer.

Postive will reduce oversteer.

I had been under an impression of what toe was that was false.

Toe does not work as depicted in my picture...

I have done more research and now have this picture to show...

some of you may recognize it.

I thank the original artist who did it.

K,... my 2 cents =

0/0 - regular
| |
| |

-2/2 - I use this for rally = poor turning radius, but adds grip
\ /
/ \

2/-2 - great turning radius, but causes oversteer
/ \
\ /

-2/-2 - my favorite = best of both worlds with good radius from the back, and good grip in the front 👍
\ /
\ /

Back