What’s the FOV for consoles?

• Thread starter SmnSyz
  • 16 comments
United States
Richmond, Virginia
I’ve never owned a Dirt game. I looked around and read supposedly the FOV settings are fixed for console and the same as Dirt 4.

Any idea what the FOV (in degrees) is for consoles and if it varies by camera position?

So if I owned the PC version there’s a chance I could be faster than the console version (personally).

After playing PC2 I’ve come to the conclusion I’m likely faster with the correct calculated FOV then not. It’d be an interesting experiment to test.

So if I owned the PC version there’s a chance I could be faster than the console version (personally).

After playing PC2 I’ve come to the conclusion I’m likely faster with the correct calculated FOV then not. It’d be an interesting experiment to test.

FOV makes a huge difference. So does your TV/monitor size, resolution, and how far away you are sitting.

Bad cockpit FOV in Kylotonn games is why I am forced to use hood cam in WRC and VR4.

In DR PSVR (VR could be considered optimum FOV) I'm not really faster, but I would say I am definitely more consistent since all my surroundings are placed and whizzing by at places and speeds my brain interprets as natural.

FOV makes a huge difference. So does your TV/monitor size, resolution, and how far away you are sitting.

Bad cockpit FOV in Kylotonn games is why I am forced to use hood cam in WRC and VR4.

In DR PSVR (VR could be considered optimum FOV) I'm not really faster, but I would say I am definitely more consistent since all my surroundings are placed and whizzing by at places and speeds my brain interprets as natural.

Completely agree about consistency being the key over straight up speed. Especially when entering corners. I guess I haven’t really compared my lap times on let’s say the Nürburgring in PC2 vs GTS, but that comparison may be moot anyway even with identical cars.

Either way, I just know that if I was using the calculated FOV in a Rally title things would be totally different since the sense of speed would be dramatically slower. At least that’s what I hear from people using RBR.

I know the fear factor of screaming through a pencil thin dirt road with trees screaming past is the niche of Rally titles, but I would really appreciate a Rally game with proper FOV options.

Yeah, when I went from controller to wheel my times got dramatically better and part of that was because with a controller I lounge on the couch whereas with my wheel I am 1-2 ft away from a 75 in 4k tv. Big difference.

Completely agree about consistency being the key over straight up speed. Especially when entering corners. I guess I haven’t really compared my lap times on let’s say the Nürburgring in PC2 vs GTS, but that comparison may be moot anyway even with identical cars.

Totally a moot point. Different tire models, PC2 simulating real world track conditions in real time like air temp, tire temp, etc... makes a true comparison between racing titles impossible. Both GTS and PC2 simulate correct car behavior overall (IMO), but games like AC and PC2 are simulating more real world variables. Even then a direct comparison between PC2 and AC is even worthless since the vehicle dynamics in each title is completely different to one another.

Either way, I just know that if I was using the calculated FOV in a Rally title things would be totally different since the sense of speed would be dramatically slower. At least that’s what I hear from people using RBR.

RBR may still stand as the only true rally "sim" in history, but I doubt that the vanilla version is the be-all end-all of car behavior. RBR excels because it is the only rally game to date that dynamically models the interaction of each of the four individual wheels with the surface. DiRT, SLRE and Kylotonn games use a simple central pivot model. However that does not equate to RBR vehicle dynamics being spot on. Modding has made RBR the unbeatable rally sim, not the vanilla version. Hard /= real.

I know the fear factor of screaming through a pencil thin dirt road with trees screaming past is the niche of Rally titles, but I would really appreciate a Rally game with proper FOV options.

There is no fear factor in video games. There is only anxiety of how well you are doing against the AI or against your fellow humans. It can be exhilarating as you know from our SLRE league, or from the DR leagues we participate in. Hell, a GTS FIA event gets me storing the wheel and pouring an alcoholic drink after the race to calm my nerves. But that's not fear.

Fear is when I paid 700 bucks to drive a Ferrari 488 GTB on a race track. I had my own life and my instructor's life in my hands. In a $350,000 car that does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. With my wife and kids in the stands watching me. That's fear. Knowing that if you make a wrong move you might never wake up again and say good morning to your family.

Jesus, I have so much respect for professional racers after that experience. Really, we're just playing games. My 20 years of sim racing helped me a lot on track in that Ferrari, but nothing in the video game world will ever reproduce the adrenaline and fear of slamming on the brakes at 220km/hr trying to make a right turn while knowing that so many loved ones in this world would miss me and my instructor if I bin it.

So PC default is (and has been) 55. Any idea if it’s the same for consoles? I didn’t find what Dirt 4’s FOV is either (it’s the same).

PC version is the only one to have FOV slider and the default is bit too big, i have lowed it about 4 clicks and is't much better now.
CM people said in their forum that consoles performance couldn't handle FOV change so the leave it off.
That's bs because almost every other game has it with zero effect to performance.

And if the change of FOV could effect performance, why not leave player to choose if the want to change it.

Last edited:
Realizing that I couldn't change FOV, combined with the graphics on the Xbox One (original model not X, or S) really damped my excitement. I played a couple hours on Tuesday and turned it off with a bad taste in my mouth.

Codemasters was able to give FOV settings in F1 2018 (a nicer looking game too) so I assumed they would be included in Rally 2.0

PC version is the only one to have FOV slider and the default is bit too big, i have lowed it about 4 clicks and is't much better now.
CM people said in their forum that consoles performance couldn't handle FOV change so the leave it off.
That's bs because almost every other game has it with zero effect to performance.

And if the change of FOV could effect performance, why not leave player to choose if the want to change it.

I had to lower mine as well.

Realizing that I couldn't change FOV, combined with the graphics on the Xbox One (original model not X, or S) really damped my excitement. I played a couple hours on Tuesday and turned it off with a bad taste in my mouth.

Codemasters was able to give FOV settings in F1 2018 (a nicer looking game too) so I assumed they would be included in Rally 2.0

I'm starting to think this game was rushed out the door and some things may be added in later, that may be one of them. I'm having a blast playing it, but it definitely feels a little "unfinished" at times.

I've gotten very close to my preferred FOV by switching to Dash cam instead of Cockpit cam.

Doing this also added a nice HUD so I could see my current revs.

It would still be better to get real FOV options but as bandaids go it's not bad. Now I just gotta wait on that FFB patch

Tried two cars, both have entirely different cockpit adjustments/FOV.

Fulvia: Perfect. Used cockpit and got the position close enough to the dash for my taste.

Alpine A110: Awful. May as well be sitting in the back even with the seat all the way forward. At least D4 had the dash view (I don’t want the center hood view).

The other annoyance is the tach/speedo/odometer HUD turns off in cockpit view. I can probably live with this, but it’s another one of those *things*.

I haven’t played a ton, but I’m liking the dash cam as well. My setup is off FOV-wise because of GTS (I sit too close). Otherwise it works great.

I’ve never owned a Dirt game. I looked around and read supposedly the FOV settings are fixed for console and the same as Dirt 4.

Any idea what the FOV (in degrees) is for consoles and if it varies by camera position?
Worry not. The default fov setting on dr2 is so ridiculous high across all different cameras that It wil definitely have a negative impact on your driving one way or another.

I for instance on bumper camera have to set fov to zero in the slider, and still isn't optimally narrow in order to not only maintaining proper high-average speed flow throughout the layout but also to take corners faster. It's straight away preposterous. Same on consoles. It's that ridiculous high even on cockpit set to zero. These devs..., urgh, oh well

And then there's the fov in the chase camera which I would have liked to be my one to go (but It cannot be because of this problem since so many years ago), where the fov is just so wide and with that huge positive pitch (you see everything from above, literally) that I can't simply understand how some people can not only like it that way, but also to race properly fast on it. Proper chase camera view in a rally game should be made the classic way, with your car very close to your screen+ narrow fov+ negative pitch, and (this now optional)with the possibility to unattach the camera to your car when you are taking corners so you can enjoy watching your car sliding, for then recenter the caera as you exit the corner, old CMcRae games style for the ps1, and WRC games for the ps2.

Back