What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,973 comments

I swear, I have an insane taste of music, it's like eating Doritos w/ BBQ sauce.

(But, that's a different story, for another Thread, in another time...)

If Nonsuch got me to take a second look at XTC, then English Settlement definitely cemented them as one of my favorite acts. The first five tracks of an album says a lot about a composition, and English Settlement's first-five is a MONSTER! Just throw in tracks such as "All of a Sudden (It's Too Late)," Fly on the Wall," "Down in the Cockpit" and "English Roundabout," and you're in for some real aural bliss.

If Nonsuch got me to take a second look at XTC, then English Settlement definitely cemented them as one of my favorite acts. The first five tracks of an album says a lot about a composition, and English Settlement's first-five is a MONSTER! Just throw in tracks such as "All of a Sudden (It's Too Late)," Fly on the Wall," "Down in the Cockpit" and "English Roundabout," and you're in for some real aural bliss.
Since you've mentioned XTC, I have been listening to covers of their songs from Primus:

Since you've mentioned XTC, I have been listening to covers of their songs from Primus:

Same album, oddly enough.

Edit: "Making Plans for Nigel" didn't do it for me, but "Scissor Man" was a faithful tribute. Have a listen at the original version of the former and I suspect you'll get it. Great album too, frankly, and my second favorite of their covers (second to the non-Remastered Skylarking).

Last edited:
I really wanted to like XTC in the early 90's after falling in love with this:

But all of their other stuff was just too improvisational. Like that crappy jaz no one likes.

At the time I was really into The Cure and Depeche Mode. I still liked The Smiths, but they had broken up and Morrissey was going nutz.

But The Smiths though...

Skylarking had a few unique tracks for them; you can add "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul" and "Sacrificial Bonfire" to the aforementioned "Dear God." Mind you Todd Rundgren selected nearly all tracks to be recorded for it from a plethora of samples sent by Andy and Colin, and "Dear God" wasn't added to a reprint until it saw some commercial success as a B-side. The album's probably better composed than any other they have--as much as I love them, they have a "We are XTC and here are some of our songs" feel--but it isn't my favorite. And while I get what you mean by improvisational, the truth couldn't be farther from that with Andy having gone to great lengths to compose tracks from their rough demo state before laying them down onto a master.

"She's a Beauty" is one of the all-time great '80s hits (Why would I lie? :P), and the band's drummer, Prairie Prince, was called on by Todd Rundgren to play drums for Skylarking.

Back