What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,974 comments
Recently found and am currently going through a playlist of nearly 1500(!!!) songs and found this. Absolutely love the chord building parts.

I have been listening to the new Nothings Carved in Stone album"Mirror Ocean" nice mix if english ad japanese lyrics. One of my fave japanee arists.

NCIS_MirrorOcean_CD_s_1000.jpg

Apologies in advance, as this post is exceedingly verbose due to it covering two albums of significance for me.

The Division Bell, the 14th studio release from Pink Floyd, and last to be released prior to the passage of founding member Richard Wright.

This one starts, for me, with A Momentary Lapse of Reason; the first album from the band that really appeared on my radar. This is no reflection on the music, mind, just the fact that I didn't grow up with a great deal of exposure to mainstream music, and The Final Cut was released before my parents passed and I went to live a more conventional life with my grandparents.

I started working at an independent record store in1990 while going to college, and during my internment there I was exposed to AMLoR a fair bit more, as well as the rest of the Pink Floyd catalog and a giant helping of progressive rock in general as the owner (and my boss) was very fond of it.

I was done at the store, and indeed college, when The Division Bell dropped, but I was still more than ready for it. The San Antonio stop of the tour also marks my first (and likely only) time seeing the band live, though I saw Gilmour and Wright in Chicago for their tour stop supporting On an Island.

There's not an awful lot I can say about the album itself that hasn't been said many times before, only that it's my favorite from Pink Floyd (the also spectacular Obscured By Clouds is a distant second) and my favorite overall based solely on content, though there's a lot for me on a personal level as well. I don't dare try to pinpoint individual tracks, though much of the album has been floating around my head all day due to Stephen Hawking's presence on "Keep Talking," sampled from a British Telecom advertisement.

It's also worth noting that partial writing credit for "Poles Apart" and "Take It Back" goes to The Dream Academy ("Life In A Northern Town") frontman Nick Laird-Clowes, which is the perfect segue into what I'm listening to right now, despite starting the post while listening to the previous album.

*gasp*

:lol:

The Dream Academy, eponymous debut release (1985) from the English power pop band. Laird-Clowes wanted the album to be something other than the power pop that the band's contemporaries were releasing, but I still hear a whole lot of the likes of Aztec Camera on it (particularly in "One Dream").

Despite "The Edge of Forever" ("Bueller...? Bueller...? Bueller...?") being my favorite track on the album, the aforementioned "Life In A Northern" is certainly phenomenal, and I still have fond memories of vegging out in a big chair watching MTV to see the video that didn't air nearly often enough (at one point I counted "Sussudio" appearing seven times in that span) because I had a ginormous crush on Kate St. John.

The inimitable David Gilmour produced this alongside Nick Laird-Clowes.

Time to eat...

Didn't even realise that Future Funk Squad released a new album late last year. They pay a magnificent homage to the genre that was my gateway into electronic music:

Back