What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,973 comments

Unfinished Rooms, 2017 release from English synthpop duo (well...uno now) Blancmange. Ordered it and the following album from Amazon yesterday and the stars aligned to have them on my doorstep today.

Just wrapped it and I suspect I'll be listening to "What's The Time?" and "In December" quite a bit in the near future as the former is that catchy and the latter is pure aural bliss, but I found nothing objectionable about the album as a whole.

There's a handy-dandy button marked "Edit" at the bottom of every user's own posts that enables them to edit and/or add to the content of their posts instead of composing additional ones twenty minutes later.

;)

The late, great Nick Drake.
All...

:indiff:

...of...

:guilty:

...the...

:(

...yes.

:nervous:

With "Northern Sky," "One Of These Things First" and the "Hazey Jane"s, Bryter Layter is pure folk rock bliss and one of the greatest albums of all time as far as I'm concerned.

:bowdown:

With "Northern Sky," "One Of These Things First" and the "Hazey Jane"s, Bryter Layter is pure folk rock bliss and one of the greatest albums of all time as far as I'm concerned.
I've been listening to Drake for about seventeen years now.
I can even pinpoint the exact moment when I heard his music for the first time,
it was in the theater (or at the movies) back when I saw this movie in 2001.

It took me a while to acquire his music on any physical media but I finally did so earlier
this year when I got all three CD's. Took them with me on a recent road trip, too.
Drake is still so mysterious to me, if only just for the fact that there are zero interviews with him.
None at all.

The only thing I've ever seen or heard is a short soundbyte on YouTube where
Nick sits at home rambling to himself at the early hours of the morning having been up all night.
It's a pretty humorous and fascinating piece of history.

He managed to create some amazing music in a short period of time, but unfortunately never saw
any success with his three records before he untimely left this world.
If he only knew how much impact he would have on later generations, decades and decades after his passing.
But I guess that's true for many artists throughout history, that their work becomes posthumously famous.
His songs are a great mix of sadness, joy, depression and a reflective sort of mindfulness. Uplifting and intriguing.
I'm weak for his debut Five Leaves Left myself, but each album has those two or three songs that can be put on loop
forever and ever. Tim Buckley is another artist just like Drake. Just as amazing.

Attachments

• 20180530_200113[1].jpg
    20180530_200113[1].jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 13
I've been listening to Drake for about seventeen years now.
I can even pinpoint the exact moment when I heard his music for the first time,
it was in the theater (or at the movies) back when I saw this movie in 2001.

It took me a while to acquire his music on any physical media but I finally did so earlier
this year when I got all three CD's. Took them with me on a recent road trip, too.
Drake is still so mysterious to me, if only just for the fact that there are zero interviews with him.
None at all.

The only thing I've ever seen or heard is a short soundbyte on YouTube where
Nick sits at home rambling to himself at the early hours of the morning having been up all night.
It's a pretty humorous and fascinating piece of history.

He managed to create some amazing music in a short period of time, but unfortunately never saw
any success with his three records before he untimely left this world.
If he only knew how much impact he would have on later generations, decades and decades after his passing.
But I guess that's true for many artists throughout history, that their work becomes posthumously famous.
His songs are a great mix of sadness, joy, depression and a reflective sort of mindfulness. Uplifting and intriguing.
I'm weak for his debut Five Leaves Left myself, but each album has those two or three songs that can be put on loop
forever and ever. Tim Buckley is another artist just like Drake. Just as amazing.
Heh...I knew it couldn't be right because of the year, but the first thing I thought of in terms of movie soundtracks featuring Nick Drake was Garden State, because of the aforementioned "One Of These Things First". That one's far more phenomenal, though, what with all the Emitt Rhodes and Nico, plus a truly spectacular Velvet Underground track and, of course, "Ruby Tuesday".

My own experiences with Nick's music go back to the early '90s, to which I can trace a great deal of my own personal soundtrack. Working in a new and used record store with music always playing, I was exposed to a great deal that I otherwise would not have been, or at least would have much later. I've mentioned it when talking of prog rock, but that's also when I developed a love for folk rock, particularly from British acts such as Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, but also Richard Thompson (at one point a member of Fairport Convention), with his wife Linda, as part of French Frith Kaiser Thompson and his solo work--I maintain that his Mock Tudor is one hell of a sleeper (that is to say an unassuming masterpiece) and one of the best albums of the '90s on entirely its own merit.

I'm pretty sure I know the recording of which you speak and, if I remember it correctly, I suspect he was stoned and had probably been up all night.

:lol:

I kind of singled out Bryter Layter because it's the album I always think of first, not only because of the fantastic tracks mentioned but also because John Cale was involved in its production both as a musician and behind the scenes, but there isn't anything by Nick that I can put on and not melt almost immediately. I mean...that voice.

It's funny you should mention Tim Buckley--not "haha" funny of course, as his is another sad tale, but because of the coincidence having just mentioned him here. It's such a shame when anyone goes, but to have their offspring follow in their footsteps and then pass at a similarly early age...it's hard. I often joke--not because it's funny but because the levity is helpful in dealing with grief--that Tim was unlucky in living to 28 and being a year too late to join "the club".

Tom Petty hit me much harder than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed his music, but it hit me harder than even Bowie. I think it being unexpected has something to do with that. They, along with Aretha, lived very full lives, though, and while they weren't necessarily "done", they'd at least had the opportunity to show what they could do in their own lifetime.

I've mentioned him before and elsewhere, but the one that leaves me choked up most is Kevin Gilbert. 29 and such a talented singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer; and to go in such a manner.

Aaaaanyway...that's probably enough indulgent catharsis for an afternoon.

:lol:

Ulver - The Assassination of Julius Caesar

Ulver - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi RP

Gonna watch them live later tonight and they should be focusing their performance on these albums.

Back