What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,969 comments
I can appreciate that. When I think of The Sisters Of Mercy, I generally think of their second album, Floodland, and it's hard to deny the commercial success that "Dominion" had. "1959" is my personal favorite from the LP, but it's very far removed from "traditional" Sisters.

For similar, you can look into Play Dead, Gene Loves Jezebel, Killing Joke, Joy Division to some extent, Cocteau Twins to some extent (though they're really more on the etherial end of gothic rock), The Birthday Party...and Shriekback, again to some extent.
I see. I'll look forward to listen to old songs of those bands in the future. 80s era is really great. And 1959? Maybe you actually mean 1969 but I still haven't listen to that song of theirs yet though.

Alright. So they actually have two songs titled as years but the other one is their own cover of another existing song. Intriguing.
"1959" is semi-autobiographical, the lead singer having been born that year, and if I recall correctly, "1969" is a cover of the Stooges song of that name on their debut album of that name that was released that year.*

*Did ya get that?

:P

"1959" is semi-autobiographical, the lead singer having been born that year, and if I recall correctly, "1969" is a cover of the Stooges song of that name on their debut album of that name that was released that year.*

*Did ya get that?

:P
Aight. Don't know much yet about the history of their songs but I'll try to see and listen if I would like them. I hope it's cool.

Paradise Circus, 1989 sophomore release from British pop rock group The Lilac Time.

I heard the opening "American Eyes" on my way home and was compeled to put the album on this evening. In doing so, I was reminded just how spectacular the third track, "The Beauty In Your Body" is, with phenomenal instrumentation and flawless vocals from frontman Stephen Duffy.

Hi everyone!
Not sure if any of this guys stuff have been posted before (damn, this is a big thread) apology’s if it has.
Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra is pretty new to me as I only came across him a couple of months ago wile loosing myself down some youtube rabbit hole.

Care For Fading Embers, 2005, the second and final release from Melbourne trip-hop act Velure, featuring particularly stunning vocals from founding member Lynnelle Moran.

I particularly enjoy "Words To Speak" (8:06), "Hide The Fool" (13:01) for its very Bond-"ian" (Pierce Brosnan era) themes, "Down Again" (17:06), "Beautiful" (26:05), "Recall" (30:31) and "Vivid And Blue" (36:30).

"Down Again" and "Vivid And Blue" were featured on the NBC series Life, which I've mentioned before.

And since the album's wrapped as of my having started this post, I may as well note what I'm currently listening to:

Formica Blues, 1998, the sole release from British trip-hop duo Mono. Best known for the opening "Life In Mono", due to its presence on the soundtrack to Alfonso Cuarón's Great Expectations. 1960s spy film score themes were clearly a heavily influence on the production.

Personal picks are the aforementioned "Life In Mono", "Silicone", "Slimcea Girl", "The Outsider", "Disney Town", "The Blind Man" and "High Life" (yeah, the first seven tracks).

Hi everyone!
Not sure if any of this guys stuff have been posted before (damn, this is a big thread) apology’s if it has.
Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra is pretty new to me as I only came across him a couple of months ago wile loosing myself down some youtube rabbit hole.
Seeing as it's "What are you listening to?" and not "What hasn't been posted yet?", I think you're probably okay.

;)

I heard a cover he/they did (I don't recall where or what of) and was compelled to investigate other works, and while I enjoyed it, I think it would take a very specific set of circumstances for me to dive in again.

And welcome to the thread!

25 years ago today, Frank Vincent Zappa lost his battle with prostate cancer. Though the man may be gone, his works will live on.

Waka/Jawaka, the fourth solo album from Frank Zappa, and the first of two studio albums he recorded in 1972.

Back