What are you watching?

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 4,842 comments
Currently watching the Yugioh Arc-V anime. Despite the criticism the current Yugiohs receive. I think they are all great and I think Arc-V will be my second favourite Yugioh behind 5D's. It's starts light GX then goes very dark like 5D's.

Currently:
Gotham
Castle
CSI
NCIS
NCIS: LA
The Blacklist
Any decent movies I find on Netflix

Daredevil Netflix series

I watched the entire first season over the weekend. This is a VERY good series!!

daredevil-poster.jpg

The opening cinema is also good.

Last edited:
I have two episodes left. This is a great start to build up to The Defenders. AKA Jessica Jones is next, then I am guessing that will lead into Luke Cage and Iron Fist (all four shows confirmed in Marvel deal with Netflix). Then there is a Defenders mini-series planned. I only hope that they bring Dr. Strange in for that one. It would be strange not to.

I do love the fact that Daredevil is taking the approach of existing in the same world as the Avengers movies, but on a street level where the people suffer the consequences and aftermath of the films but are not a part of that story.

My only gripe is that it feels an awful lot like Arrow.

I say that because:
Arrow and Daredevil both constantly say they are trying to save their city, defend a low-income of the city from a rising criminal element in the aftermath of disaster, both received secret training, have daddy issues that motivate them, and both even had their outfits evolve because they felt that the more protective outfit would slow them down. Oh, and both had to learn that killing is the wrong way to go about it. Daredevil reached that conclusion before actually killing anyone.

Actually, what about Nobu? He still says he killed no one after the Nobu incident. He set Nobu on fire. Granted, when he left Nobu was likely still alive and Fisk let him burn, but that is splitting hairs.

I have two episodes left. This is a great start to build up to The Defenders. AKA Jessica Jones is next, then I am guessing that will lead into Luke Cage and Iron Fist (all four shows confirmed in Marvel deal with Netflix). Then there is a Defenders mini-series planned. I only hope that they bring Dr. Strange in for that one. It would be strange not to.

I do love the fact that Daredevil is taking the approach of existing in the same world as the Avengers movies, but on a street level where the people suffer the consequences and aftermath of the films but are not a part of that story.

My only gripe is that it feels an awful lot like Arrow.

I say that because:
Arrow and Daredevil both constantly say they are trying to save their city, defend a low-income of the city from a rising criminal element in the aftermath of disaster, both received secret training, have daddy issues that motivate them, and both even had their outfits evolve because they felt that the more protective outfit would slow them down. Oh, and both had to learn that killing is the wrong way to go about it. Daredevil reached that conclusion before actually killing anyone.

Actually, what about Nobu? He still says he killed no one after the Nobu incident. He set Nobu on fire. Granted, when he left Nobu was likely still alive and Fisk let him burn, but that is splitting hairs.
I have watched 1 season of Arrow and 1 season of Daredevil. Yes Daredevil has a lot of similarities to Arrow but I prefer Daredevil.

The part I like better about Arrow over Daredevil is the fact that Daredevil really didn't have much of anything. His dad died as a struggling boxer which didn't leave a whole lot for his son. He did win the final fight after setting the bet toward himself. But its nowhere near the amount of money Arrow had. So his son is struggling financially as an attorney while trying to save the city. Arrow on the other hand is a multi billionaire that had unlimited resources to produce whatever he wanted. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Also Daredevil is blind and refuses to kill if not necessary. So I just enjoy seeing the struggle with Daredevil and his office firm. Overall Daredevil just seems a lot better IMO so far.

I have watched 1 season of Arrow and 1 season of Daredevil. Yes Daredevil has a lot of similarities to Arrow but I prefer Daredevil.

Just a head's up; I started a Defenders thread to talk more about Daredevil and the other upcoming shows in this series.

The part I like better about Arrow over Daredevil is the fact that Daredevil really didn't have much of anything. His dad died as a struggling boxer which didn't leave a whole lot for his son. He did win the final fight after setting the bet toward himself. But its nowhere near the amount of money Arrow had. So his son is struggling financially as an attorney while trying to save the city. Arrow on the other hand is a multi billionaire that had unlimited resources to produce whatever he wanted. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Also Daredevil is blind and refuses to kill if not necessary. So I just enjoy seeing the struggle with Daredevil and his office firm. Overall Daredevil just seems a lot better IMO so far.
The billionaire thing in Arrow kind of goes away at the end of season2/start of season 3.

Oh ok. Even with that said he still had / has a HUGE leap financially over Daredevil. ;)
General rule of comic books: No powers equals rich with gadgets. Powers equals poor but naturally gifted.

I watched the third episode of Daredevil (which I started watching) but I'm probably gonna rewatch the episode later. Because it's so bright outside, I could barely see and process what was going on. I will rewatch it in the middle of the night when it's dark, like I did with the first two episodes.

I finally got the chance to watch Gravity, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography is, of course, incredible, but what I really liked was the way it had a $100 million budget, but stayed grounded in an intimate, personal story without getting distracted by an event-driven spectacle.

I've been watching Friends. I can now see why people say How I Met Your Mother is based on it.
Some of the early HIMYM episodes were far superior to "Friends", which was quite a conventional sitcom. I'm thinking of the episodes where they really played around with the structure, like "The Platinum Rule". It jumped the shark once they kept getting renewed and the over-arching narrative was left unresolved. And the ultimate ending was terribly unsatisfying.

"Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

Got bored with repeats of the same twelve episodes of "The Simpsons", and found this instead. It reminds me a lot of "Scrubs", but it's much more focused and much less reliant on irreverence for its humour.

The Flash episode "Flash vs. Arrow". Finally. What happened is that we had started watching The Flash when it began airing, and then we found out it's a spinoff from Arrow, and started watching Arrow before watching Flash vs. Arrow because it's a crossover and we didn't want to be confused with Arrow references. There were in fact a lot of call backs to previous Arrow episodes, some more significant than others. I'm still glad I started Arrow, cause it's a good show. We watched up to Season 3 Episode 7 of Arrow before watching Flash vs. Arrow, as this is about the point where the shows converge. I did enjoy the crossover. Now to get back into The Flash, in addition to Arrow. I still haven't watched any Arrow past S3E7, and I've still got a ways to catch up on The Flash too. More thoughts, with more major spoilers, can be found in the spoiler tag, if you really wanna look.

Were you actually expecting anything? I'd put a Rickroll here or something, but I don't feel like it.

Last edited:
Fortitude

Tense British psychological thriller set in a remote Arctic mining community where something has been driving the locals mad. It's been pretty good so far, until the final moments of the penultimate episode where one of the smartest characters makes an incredibly stupid decision:

After developing the hypothesis that the madness is being caused by a prehistoric parasite that lay dormant until the remains of a mammoth were unearthed and is now literally eating its hosts from the inside out, he seeks confirmation of this theory because he's a good scientist. Fair enough. But when he gets visual confirmation of this, he consciously chooses to lean in for a closer look rather than getting the hell out of there, and is now exposed to the parasite.

Season 3, episode 8 of Arrow. I like how they contrast the lighter tone of The Flash and the darker tone of Arrow, and the different ways Barry and Oliver carry out their business.

Danger 5.

You will have seen many gifs of this but, unless you're Australian, probably nothing more:

KQi02u1.gif

hOuMMDM.gif

It's basically a colossal send up of 1960s spy series (until season 2, when it's 1980s shows of all kinds) that makes The Man From UNCLE seem like 24. Their mission is always to kill Hitler and a significant number of characters have animal heads - because [redacted], that's why.

C1f573I.gif

Netflix. Do it NOW.

Oh, but watch S1E7 first - it's the original pilot episode.

TB
I have one episode of Daredevil to finish then I'm looking for a new series to watch. Looks like my looking is done. 👍
Someone I know recommended Danger 5 to me, and another recommended Daredevil. I was gonna check out Daredevil anyway. I've seen the first 5 Daredevil episodes, and it's pretty good so far. Haven't see Danger 5 yet.

In other news, I watched the first episode of Agent Carter, and not just because someone I know wanted me to. It was really good.

I've been watching iZombie. Not bad, but compared to DC's other shows on CW it needs some work. Although, this week's episode leads me to believe that things are about to get a bit more exciting.

Back