What are you watching?

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 4,846 comments
31 Days of Halloween Days 9 and 10: Werewolf by Night and Dracula (1931). Werewolf by Night was incredibly fun. I’ve never actually seen the original Dracula until now. Considering how iconic Bela Lugosi was as Dracula, it’s surprising how hard Universal fought to hire anyone but him. But he got the role and cinematic history was made.
B4BD3763-71D7-48A5-B451-B90E0F0821A3.jpeg
21501D20-21B3-4BD8-BBBF-F58853740D18.jpeg

Last edited:
#31DaysOfHalloweenViewing Days 11 and 12 are both RiffTrax. NIght of the Living Dead was riffed live on stage by Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Keving Murphy. Mary Jo Pehl and Bridget Nelson riffed a collection of perfectly awful Halloween shorts. All are alumni of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and both shows are very funny.
image.jpg
image (1).jpg

Last edited:
#31DaysOfHalloweenViewing Days 13 and 14. Vampirella and Hotel Transylvania. If you follow the “what did you buy recently” thread, you’ll know I’m a big fan of Vampirella comics. This is a 1996 direct-to-video movie starring the beautiful Puerto Rican model/actress/Bond Girl Talisa Soto in the title role. Roger Daltrey (yes, the lead singer of The Who) plays the villain, Vlad. He leaves no scene unchewed. its not available to stream on any service, you can’t buy it or rent it. You can pay wildly inflated prices for second-hand copies of the DVD. But don’t. It’s awful. Stupendously awful. Kind of impressive in its awfulness.

I have a horror movie fanatic friend, and he hates Hotel Transylvania with a burning passion. I, on the other hand, love it unashamedly. It’s got plenty of laughs, some wonderful heartfelt scenes, and top-notch voice acting.
1B816FA3-A20C-4495-AFB3-F2D39C62F63E.jpeg
209242FD-930E-483C-BD60-B7DCBE6A8104.jpeg

Last edited:
#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 15 and 16. The Night That Dracula Saved the World and The House on Haunted Hill, both by RiffTrax. Dracula is played by Judd Hirsch who is in a labor dispute with Marriette Hartley's witch. 1979 was weird, man. The House on Haunted Hill stars Vincent Price and is a live show with Paul F. Tompkins as a guest star. Both are hilarious. I also caught the latest Doctor Who special: Legend of the Sea Devils.
DraculaSavedTheWorld_Poster.jpg
3d_hohhlive.jpg

382368.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching Tokyo Vice. I binged the whole season and it’s fantastic. Certainly better than some of the other rubbish on TV.

#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 17 and 18. Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo! and The Wolf Man. In the first, Velma finally gets to be gay, crushing hard on anti-hero Coco Diablo. Great voice work from Kate Micucci (of Garfunkle and Oates) as Velma, Myrna Velasquez (Jessica Cruz/Green Lantern in DC's Superhero Girls as Coco, veteran Grey DeLisle as Daphne, and Matthew Lillard as Shaggy. His Shaggy is becoming just as iconic as the original, Casey Kasem. Speaking of originals, it's worth noting that the original voice actor for Fred Jones, Frank Welker, is still voicing him, after more than 50 years (as well as providing the voice of Scooby-Doo for the past 20 years). He's a legend in the voice industry. The Wolf Man is a classic starring Lon Chaney as the werewolf. The show stands up surprisingly well. Nicely atmospheric and well acted.
TRICK_OR_TREAT_SCOOBY_DOO.jpeg
The-wolfman.jpg

#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Day 19: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episodes "Luna Eclipsed" and "Scare Master". Night Mare Night is the pony equivalent of Halloween. In the first, Luna learns a scary holiday has been created with her as the villain. In the second, scaredy-cat Fluttershy decides to face her fears and spend time with her friends on Night Mare Night. Day 20 is Beetlejuice, the Tim Burton classic from 1988. I've always loved how committed Michael Keaton was to his character. I also loved the great mix of practical effects, make up, animation and stop motion to get that slightly cheesy effect.
Luna_Eclipsed.jpg

Scare_Master.jpg

Beetlejuice-poster.jpg

Last edited:
Busy digesting all the cameos from tonight's Doctor Who.

For anyone who has been avoiding spoilers, the ending will confuse you massively 😂

For me, the rumoured William Russell cameo was the best of all. Look him up. He's 97!

#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Day 19: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episodes "Luna Eclipsed" and "Scare Master". Night Mare Night is the pony equivalent of Halloween. In the first, Luna learns a scary holiday has been created with her as the villain. In the second, scaredy-cat Fluttershy decides to face her fears and spend time with her friends on Night Mare Night. Day 20 is Beetlejuice, the Tim Burton classic from 1988. I've always loved how committed Michael Keaton was to his character. I also loved the great mix of practical effects, make up, animation and stop motion to get that slightly cheesy effect.
View attachment 1202734
View attachment 1202733
View attachment 1202732
Beetlejuice is an excellent choice.
I've always been a fan of Beetlejuice 👍. I think Michael Keaton's best characterisation was Beetlejuice.

Oh no...

#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 21 and 22: The Halloween Tree and Ghostbusters (2016). I remember watching The Halloween Tree when it was first broadcast back in 1993. It's a Hanna-Barbera animated movie based on a Ray Bradbury novel and features him as narrator. Leonard Nimoy provides the voice of the mysterious Moundshroud who takes four children on an adventure around the world and through time.
I hadn't watched the 2016 reboot of Ghostbusters yet, so this was the perfect time to rectify that. It is genuinely funny, with an amazing cast, all of whom have great chemistry. Chris Hemsworth as the empty-headed pretty boy receptionist was a highlight. Just well done all around.
52452756138_dac47ebc1d_w.jpg
52452684280_db8b380e48_w.jpg

Last edited:
#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 23 and 24: Fankenstein (1931) and Coco. Having watched Young Frankenstein probably more than 100 times, it was time to go back to the original, and see just how brilliant Mel Brooks' homage is. And yes, I watched Coco recently, but it's fun and one of Pixar's most visually stunning movies, so why not?
52454437667_476f785c2d_w.jpg
52455228449_6ab8f88467_w.jpg

Last edited:
I am re-watching Young Royals on Netflix.
IMG_20221018_204017143.jpg

Season two comes Nov, 1.

What a fantastic show. It did make me cry.

#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 25 and 26: The Addams Family and The Mummy (1932). Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd, Angelica Huston, Christina Ricci, The Addams Family had a brilliant cast. Morticia may be one of Angelica Huston's sultriest roles. And everyone completely committed to the twisted humor of the show.
I've been having fun going through the classic Universal movie archive. The Mummy isn't just a great movie but a fascinating look at the mores of the time.
52459567843_cc4e868007_w.jpg
52458517712_52e30450ba_w.jpg

#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 27 and 28: Munster Go Home and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. The Munster movie from 1966 was a childhood favorite. I loved both the Munsters and the Addams Family, and this one had a race between the Drag-U-La and a Ferrari. It was silly but fun. Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis were comedy team gold.
The Charlie Brown special should be a part of everyone's childhood. The rights to broadcast it now belong to Apple on their Apple TV+ app. Thankfully they have made it free to non-subscribers from today through Halloween. Don't be a blockhead. Make sure you watch it.
52461965154_a8cf1c94db_w.jpg
52461699426_f7201a251b_w.jpg

I also watched the season three finale of Star Trek: Lower Decks, and the newest episode of Star Trek: Prodigy, with season one resuming after a several months long break. Both are excellent, much deeper than they appear, with engaging characters and fascinating stories.
52462244158_59425e94fe_w.jpg
52462244163_39643e4df2_w.jpg

Last edited:
#31DaysofHalloweenViewing Days 27 and 28: Munster Go Home and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. The Munster movie from 1966 was a childhood favorite. I loved both the Munsters and the Addams Family, and this one had a race between the Drag-U-La and a Ferrari. It was silly but fun. Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis were comedy team gold.
The Charlie Brown special should be a part of everyone's childhood. The rights to broadcast it now belong to Apple on their Apple TV+ app. Thankfully they have made it free to non-subscribers from today through Halloween. Don't be a blockhead. Make sure you watch it.
View attachment 1204251View attachment 1204250

I also watched the season three finale of Star Trek: Lower Decks, and the newest episode of Star Trek: Prodigy, with season one resuming after a several months long break. Both are excellent, much deeper than they appear, with engaging characters and fascinating stories.
View attachment 1204249View attachment 1204248
Do you have to create an account to get Charlie Brown for free? I've read that you just go to AppleTV and select The Peanuts special and hit play but I only get "Start 3 month free trial" and "Add +" but both of those want me to register.

Do you have to create an account to get Charlie Brown for free? I've read that you just go to AppleTV and select The Peanuts special and hit play but I only get "Start 3 month free trial" and "Add +" but both of those want me to register.
I have the Apple TV app on my XBox so I can watch the shows and movies I’ve bought on iTunes. So I have an account already, but I don’t have the Apple TV+ subscription. I looked it up on the app and it played immediately. So I’m guessing you do need an account, but you don’t have to buy anything.

On Netflix:
-The Watcher, which probably will prevent me from even thinking of buying a house in the suburbs (I'm a condo rat anyways, my remote ancestors probably shut themselves in towers to ride plagues, wars, and other maladies.)
-Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. I'm two chapters in and it has not dissapointed. Great creepy/scary moments.

On Disney+:
-A Wolf by Night. I liked it, specially all the nods to Universal/Hammer films of yore, although the fake B/W does have an odd look, at least on an OLED display.

On HBO max:
-Finished House of the Dragon, what a comeback after how GoT ended!
-His Dark Materials. I haven't read the books (I will now) and had vague memories of the movie. This is a classy production that has me hooked. I'm about to start season 2 and the final season 3 will drop in November, what a perfect timing.

Back