What Did We Learn From the GT Sport Beta?

Hopefully they improve the rating system that became worse with the beta updates.

Hopefuly they implement it in the normal Online lobbies and not only in the Sport mode with the dedicated servers like it's planed now by PD as they say in the Beta forum.

Mechanical damage and visual damage need lot ot work also... Because it's the same as GT6! Tyre model and wear need also a big improvement.

The physics is also a miss...With the "hand of God" helping recover the car very easy even with all aids disabled.
Non ABS need quite some improvements.
Also the Wight transfers and car rotation need work.

The B.O.P system has improved during the Beta, still need some tweeks here and there.

Sounds is better than previous GT games, but still far away of games this gen as Driveclub, Dirt rally, Dirt 4,Project C.A.R.S or assetto corsa.

The clutch in manual cars also need a good improvement.. It's still on/off like pushing a button instead a pedal..
Need that pedal progresion that other games already got well implemented.

After playing the Beta and knowing the features that final game will have... My personal score to the reboot of the GT saga is an 4/10

Very nice graphics, more in PS4 PRO thanks to the HDR and upscaled 4K resolution...
But it isn't enough to sell me this game.
I put other things above "the real Ferrari red" colour and graphics really.

Let's see the final product, but in less of 3 months till launch i don't expect a huge amount of needed improvements.

Hopefully they improve the rating system that became worse with the beta updates.

Hopefuly they implement it in the normal Online lobbies and not only in the Sport mode with the dedicated servers like it's planed now by PD as they say in the Beta forum.

Mechanical damage and visual damage need lot ot work also... Because it's the same as GT6! Tyre model and wear need also a big improvement.

The physics is also a miss...With the "hand of God" helping recover the car very easy even with all aids disabled.

The B.O.P system has improved during the Beta, still need some tweeks here and there.

Sounds is better than previous GT games, but still far away of games this gen as Driveclub, Dirt rally, Dirt 4,Project C.A.R.S or assetto corsa.

The clutch in manual cars also need a good improvement.. It's still on/off like pushing a button instead a pedal..

After playing the Beta and knowing the features that final game will have... My personal score to the reboot of the GT saga is an 4/10

Very nice graphics, more in PS4 PRO thanks to the HDR and upscaled 4K resolution...

Let's see the final product, but in less of 3 months till launch i don't expect a huge amount of needed improvements.

I never noticed this "hand of god" effect, did you use a pad or wheel?

I never noticed this "hand of god" effect, did you use a pad or wheel?

If you crashed or spun out, and were facing a wall or more than 90º in the wrong direction, the game would automatically adjust/rotate you in the right direction so you can quickly get back in the race. This happens regardless of your input device. I used wheel primarily (G29).

I thought the brakes without abs were a lot better than GT6 to the point that were usable.
I prefer playing driving games without using abs and this is the first GT that I could do it without locking up.
But, I soon learned that it is possible to brake much later with abs on as when playing online people would constantly crash into me as I seemed to be braking much earlier than them. I confirmed this for myself too.

This is a great shame as there is a definate nicer feeling with it off but if you are at a disadvantage then what's the point. It should be the other way around.

If you crashed or spun out, and were facing a wall or more than 90º in the wrong direction, the game would automatically adjust/rotate you in the right direction so you can quickly get back in the race. This happens regardless of your input device. I used wheel primarily (G29).
That is not the hand of God that is being referred to. It was the hidden SRF like behavior of the cars.

Not being rude but if you're going to rate the game. I think you should wait for the final product and to actual read up on Kaz interviews. First off I would like to know what cars are you driving as you claim the cars are easy to drive. Lotus Evora for example is not a easy car to drive or the Alfa Romeo period. You also said that the tire model and damage is the same which is incorrect. The model damage isn't fully unlocked and to add there are license agreements from manufacturers about how the vehicles will simulate damage. I've been playing gt6 and GTSport and they are completely different. The beta does not have weight transfer, just braking which has a slight effect on handling but not as compared to weight transfer. They have aids for those using controller without your knowledge. They fixed many things through their update as compared to originally. There are still a few things and a transmission exploit that I've informed them but you should not provide a bias opinion though you are entitled. I agree with the clutch problem as some cars has latency in gear changes in real life. The beta was primarily built to test server load as well as feedback from beta testers. They gathered all information from bug report to fix before final product. Regardless of what people think. The game is a step from gt6 and most will love it. Races are smooth and the rating system is shaping to become great. Cars respond realistically and the torque and power curve as been fixed too compared to gt6 where the torque /power would become linear and unrealistic.

Driver And Sportsmanship Rating Changes
Over the course of the beta and its updates, Polyphony made alterations to the metrics of driver ranking.

The beta introduced the Driver Rating (DR) system. This scored players according to their pace, on a familiar A to E scale. The quickest players achieved an S ranking – similar to Gran Turismo‘s traditional ‘Super’ rank. The exact nature of how the game calculates DR is unclear, but a well-placed finish at a difficult circuit would result in a higher score.

Initially the Sportsmanship Rating (SR) reflected a player’s safety as a number. Gauged between 1-99, players who kept out of trouble would see the number rise. This didn’t seem to affect matchmaking though, and the v1.05 update changed the system to match the DR ranking.

With DR and SR working together, matchmaking more commonly placed you with players of a similar ability and mindset. In this case the beta seems to have refined the system to deliver more exciting and safe races in the full game.

This is the thing that got me interested in Gran Turismo Sport and from my beta experience it has made the game a must-buy for me.

I'm fed up of having to deal with crashers, corner-cutters and disrespectful opponents in Public Multiplayer races* when all I want to do is hop online at any given time and have some good, clean racing. I got more of that in the few months of Gran Turismo Sport's beta than I did in the past 10 years of all racing games combined.

* Forza Motorsport 6 was just awful at times, really soured my final impressions of that game and made me drop it entirely. I am hoping that Forza Motorsport 7 is better in this regard but the chances of that happening are slim in my opinion.

Not being rude but if you're going to rate the game. I think you should wait for the final product and to actual read up on Kaz interviews. First off I would like to know what cars are you driving as you claim the cars are easy to drive. Lotus Evora for example is not a easy car to drive or the Alfa Romeo period. You also said that the tire model and damage is the same which is incorrect. The model damage isn't fully unlocked and to add there are license agreements from manufacturers about how the vehicles will simulate damage. I've been playing gt6 and GTSport and they are completely different. The beta does not have weight transfer, just braking which has a slight effect on handling but not as compared to weight transfer. They have aids for those using controller without your knowledge. They fixed many things through their update as compared to originally. There are still a few things and a transmission exploit that I've informed them but you should not provide a bias opinion though you are entitled. I agree with the clutch problem as some cars has latency in gear changes in real life. The beta was primarily built to test server load as well as feedback from beta testers. They gathered all information from bug report to fix before final product. Regardless of what people think. The game is a step from gt6 and most will love it. Races are smooth and the rating system is shaping to become great. Cars respond realistically and the torque and power curve as been fixed too compared to gt6 where the torque /power would become linear and unrealistic.
He should wait for the final product to rate the game in a thread entitled, "What Did We Learn From the GT Sport Beta?" :confused:.

Well, i also don't want to be rude, but sorry, Kaz is a good salesman!
But from his interviews i only believe maximum a 25% of all his talking.
Past times showed me not to believe that guy a lot in his promises...

The Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.4 and Gr.3 where some fun to drive them an gave competitive times with them.
Didn't find them difficult, the Lotus Evora N300 neither with some fine tune.

Tyre model is behaving just like the older GT games, don't see any improvement and Don't see a specific tyre model for each category that other games already are doing.
Once on limit of tyre wear they behaves as the older series...like overheated and that's it.
Don't see any improvement on them.
Only visual tyre flex that even an arcade game as Driveclub got also.

Damage... Just The same as GT6, no car deformation and mechanical is like the "soft damage" option in the GT6 lobbies that "fix" damage in 60 seconds.
The other option is the one that do you pit for fix the damage (but damage level is the same)
Only new thing seen is that you can decide in box what fix first or only to add some timing strategy in box.
Nothing that other games already have.
Try out assetto or even pcars and there you will see some good mechanical damage.

The beta got weight transfer but badly implemented...even driveclub in hardcore mode is a bit better of what been shown..

Hand of God was there with all aids deactivated and playing with a wheel,talking about the wheel, hopefully they fix that excessive "rumble" im the FFB when you're overdriving...man...The FFB in the first part of the Beta was better than in the last par of patches.

There's some improvements above GT6,well yes,camber works now in GT Sport, but find cars to forgiving and grippy.

About rating system... I don't enyoin it.
I have more clean races in my racing leagues on pcars and assetto that I've got in the Beta.
And like PD said in the forum, rating system will only work in Sport mode, not in the normal personalised online lobbies..
You will only be able to put a minimum driver level requirement but the rating system don't gonna give or take any points/level.

The races of sport mode will work like those of the beta, the hours you can participate and the days with an calendar system.

So for what I've seen and tried in the beta, the official information seen on the GT website, the interviews and presentations I've heard and seein since the London presentation my score is 4/10.

The game has lost quite some stuff like a really good offline GT Mode, endurance races, full dynamic climate, full 24H dynamic day-night cycle and after practically 4 years of development i don't see the huge improvement I've expected from GT6.
Not even from the AI (American beta got access to arcade mode in the beginning)
And I'm not fan of fictional nonexistent prototypes (GT vision) and race cars made by PD based on real cars aren't my favourite either, at least it's better than those vision GT.

I expected really more from PD that was always on top until GT4.. But the beta and what I've seen is a huge deception for me personally.

There were some points of the game i was thinking that i was playing driveclub with some mechanical adjustments available..

Hopefuly PD improve a lot in the last 3 months till launch... But with that time i really doubt it

The chase camera options were my favorite change that was made. I'm not entirely used to the bumper or cockpit views, but the chase view available in the initial release was unusable for me. Bringing the view closer to the car and easing up on the stiffness to the car movement brought a more classic feel to the game and improved the sense of speed in a big way. No more jerky movements from the camera being stuck on an extended selfie-stick attached to the rear bumper.

It's a good thing a stumbled upon this mini-review of yours, which seems like a very honest one. I was considering making a PS4 Pro purchase this holiday season, but judging from the beta alone, it seems GTP is more or less the same GT with touched up graphics and a few more racing modes. I have played AC, all the Dirt games and P.CARS, and if the sound is not at least up to that level, than I'm probably better off without it.

The on/off nature of the upshifting sound was one of the first things I noticed in gameplay videos, and I must say it is quite unsettling. Sounds mechanical.

Very impressed with how they listened to feedback. On the subject of sound design, if they simulated transmission lag to make the rpms wobble on upshifts, then the cars would sound 10x better.

That upshif transmission wobble you're referring to should make the game much more enjoyable. Dirt Rally, CARS, Forza all do this brilliantly.

I expected really more from PD that was always on top until GT4. But the beta and what I've seen is a huge deception for me personally.

If I'm not mistaken, GT has been on top with each game, each generation, at least sales-wise. I don't disagree that PS3 GT had it's fair share of problems, but GT has always been on top.

Can't wait to see how GT Sport does though.

If I'm not mistaken, GT has been on top with each game, each generation, at least sales-wise. I don't disagree that PS3 GT had it's fair share of problems, but GT has always been on top.

Can't wait to see how GT Sport does though.
Sincerely apologise me! But i just don't care about sale numbers.
Being on top of sales don't mean quality.

The 80 millions of sales from GTA V means it's the best game out there?
I didn't even find fun the online and offline story side i found even GTA IV better...

Don't forget either that GT in PS3 don't got any other sim game with quality that could give some competition.

Also, now in the last E3 2017 Forza Motorsport 7 received the best racing game award by critics winning other games like GT Sport or Project C.A.R.S 2... And sure it will sell quite less than GT just like the other Forza games that got it hard to go above 2 million copies saled just like the previous ones.

http://gamecriticsawards.com/winners.html

Like i said, sales numbers don't want to say top quality.

For me in top quality in each aspect of the game, the last two GT games in those aspects were GT3 & GT4.

He should wait for the final product to rate the game in a thread entitled, "What Did We Learn From the GT Sport Beta?" :confused:.

Yes he should as it was a beta or test. Like the question has said " What did we learn from the GT SPORT Beta?" Keyword is "Beta". Just like any beta I've played. I don't scrutinize something when it is not completely finished because when the end result occurs and it's not what you originally expected from the test. You pretty much look like fool by jumping to conclusions too soon.

Well, i also don't want to be rude, but sorry, Kaz is a good salesman!
But from his interviews i only believe maximum a 25% of all his talking.
Past times showed me not to believe that guy a lot in his promises...

The Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.4 and Gr.3 where some fun to drive them an gave competitive times with them.
Didn't find them difficult, the Lotus Evora N300 neither with some fine tune.

Tyre model is behaving just like the older GT games, don't see any improvement and Don't see a specific tyre model for each category that other games already are doing.
Once on limit of tyre wear they behaves as the older series...like overheated and that's it.
Don't see any improvement on them.
Only visual tyre flex that even an arcade game as Driveclub got also.

Damage... Just The same as GT6, no car deformation and mechanical is like the "soft damage" option in the GT6 lobbies that "fix" damage in 60 seconds.
The other option is the one that do you pit for fix the damage (but damage level is the same)
Only new thing seen is that you can decide in box what fix first or only to add some timing strategy in box.
Nothing that other games already have.
Try out assetto or even pcars and there you will see some good mechanical damage.

The beta got weight transfer but badly implemented...even driveclub in hardcore mode is a bit better of what been shown..

Hand of God was there with all aids deactivated and playing with a wheel,talking about the wheel, hopefully they fix that excessive "rumble" im the FFB when you're overdriving...man...The FFB in the first part of the Beta was better than in the last par of patches.

There's some improvements above GT6,well yes,camber works now in GT Sport, but find cars to forgiving and grippy.

About rating system... I don't enyoin it.
I have more clean races in my racing leagues on pcars and assetto that I've got in the Beta.
And like PD said in the forum, rating system will only work in Sport mode, not in the normal personalised online lobbies..
You will only be able to put a minimum driver level requirement but the rating system don't gonna give or take any points/level.

The races of sport mode will work like those of the beta, the hours you can participate and the days with an calendar system.

So for what I've seen and tried in the beta, the official information seen on the GT website, the interviews and presentations I've heard and seein since the London presentation my score is 4/10.

The game has lost quite some stuff like a really good offline GT Mode, endurance races, full dynamic climate, full 24H dynamic day-night cycle and after practically 4 years of development i don't see the huge improvement I've expected from GT6.
Not even from the AI (American beta got access to arcade mode in the beginning)
And I'm not fan of fictional nonexistent prototypes (GT vision) and race cars made by PD based on real cars aren't my favourite either, at least it's better than those vision GT.

I expected really more from PD that was always on top until GT4.. But the beta and what I've seen is a huge deception for me personally.

There were some points of the game i was thinking that i was playing driveclub with some mechanical adjustments available..

Hopefuly PD improve a lot in the last 3 months till launch... But with that time i really doubt it

I've played both project cars and assetto corsa and bought both. Both games have their flaws which I notice and there online races are no different then Granturismo. Yes he is a salesman just like anyone else who wants to sell their product. What I was saying is that that reviewing something that is not finished is not efficient enough as a final decision in buying product.

You are entitled to your opinion just like mines. I am mixed on GTSPORT after playing it but compared to project cars and assetto corsa which I have. I'm going to buy GTSport as it has fulfill my racing needs and is as accurate as in real life when I actual did a race on a real life race course. Assetto Corsa is top notch then com GTSport. Project has its problems which turned me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sincerely apologise me!

But i just don't care about sale numbers.
Being on top of sales don't mean quality.

The 80 millions of sales from GTA V means it's the best game out there?

I didn't even find fun the online and offline story side i found even GTA IV better...

No apologies necessary :)

I think sales are a very good indicator of how consumers rank video games, regardless of whether you or I think the quality was where it needed to be. It means that, despite the shortcomings, consumers decided that the product was good enough to earn their purchase. There are many other ways to measure a games success, but there isn't much more convincing evidence than sales.

Don't forget either that GT in PS3 don't got any other sim game with quality that could give some competition.

During PS3 GT, PD had to deal with the likes of FM3/4/5, iRacing, NFS: Shift 2, Grid 2, Grid Autosport, Assetto Corsa, F1 games, Dirt games, WRC games and DriveClub. Despite the competition, GT6 still sold well - although not by GT's own history. An argument can be made that the decrease in sales was due to the increased competition, or that the quality wasn't where it needed to be. Another argument could be that it didn't sell well because it released right as the PS4 launched. There is no concrete conclusion - but the fact is that other sims selling at their best, couldn't keep up with GT selling at it's worst.

What I learned from the Beta is that PD are taking the competition very seriously - the game changed a lot during the 3.5 months that it was available, especially in the sound department. I learned that PD are not going to take their licks lying down and will digest/implement feedback better than they have before because they know that they won't get sales just off the GT name alone.

For me in top quality in each aspect of the game, the last two GT games in those aspects were GT3 & GT4.

I respect that. :cheers:

Last edited:
No apologies necessary :)

I think sales are a very good indicator of how consumers rank video games, regardless of whether you or I think the quality was where it needed to be. It means that, despite the shortcomings, consumers decided that the product was good enough to earn their purchase. There are many other ways to measure a games success, but there isn't much more convincing evidence than sales.
Sales numbers don't mean anything to the consumer though, it doesn't broaden any spectrum and it doesn't help us understand the game more. If you're just concerned about sales, than yes, GT is on top and always has been. It depends on what you mean by "On Top" though, to be honest.

There is one definite area where they are on top, and I feel that's visuals.

The current game doesn't do much for me outside of what may be an overused photo simulator to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as thats usually what all my racing games turn into, but that's usually after I've exhausted my resources. The fact that I'm going in already thinking that is what's not a positive to me. I'm still waiting for the final product, but I'm not getting drawn in too much as of yet. In my view, that is not a feeling I'd get from a game that is considered the pinnacle.

Another argument could be that it didn't sell well because it released right as the PS4 launched. There is no concrete conclusion - but the fact is that other sims selling at their best, couldn't keep up with GT selling at it's worst.
The vast, vast majority of people still had a PS3 at the launch of the PS4 though. They reached 80mil ps3 sales before the release of the PS4, and reached 15mil PS4 sales by a year later. I very well know that the PS3 sales where over an extended time, but that's still where the majority of people were sitting.

GT also had a large build up over the years. They where one of the very, very few developers doing what they've done. They're a legacy brand that the name got carried over the decades, they had a very large reputation where as a lot of their competition weren't half as big. Even more so to go against the whole sales side of things is the fact that now we have many games that are doing so much more within the same niche-styled game. Look at Pcars for example, and while I know the first one was a bug ridden mess, it definitely looks to be the most like-for-like game that is doing so much more. GT selling so well seems to have no affect on the competition, as they've still stood with it over the years.

Last edited:
Sales numbers don't mean anything to the consumer though, it doesn't broaden any spectrum and it doesn't help us understand the game more. If you're just concerned about sales, than yes, GT is on top and always has been. It depends on what you mean by "On Top" though, to be honest.

If a consumer likes what you have, they're going to buy it. So if more people buy your game than they do your competitor's, than that means people like your game more. Again, number of sales isn't the only metric, but its really hard to argue against folks putting their money up.

The current game doesn't do much for me outside of what may be an overused photo simulator to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as thats usually what all my racing games turn into, but that's usually after I've exhausted my resources. The fact that I'm going in already thinking that is what's not a positive to me. I'm still waiting for the final product, but I'm not getting drawn in too much as of yet. In my view, that is not a feeling I'd get from a game that is considered the pinnacle.

The fact that you feel that way does not change the game's status as the pinnacle. Because GT6 sold so many more copies compared to the competitors, it can be objectively concluded that people like GT6 more. That's not to say GT6 is better in every way, but people like it more as a whole compared to the competition.

The vast, vast majority of people still had a PS3 at the launch of the PS4 though. They reached 80mil ps3 sales before the release of the PS4, and reached 15mil PS4 sales by a year later. I very well know that the PS3 sales where over an extended time, but that's still where the majority of people were sitting.

True, but release scheduling is a very important factor of a game's success. The best example I can think of is FF12; it released right as the PS3 was announced, and it didn't do well despite the good reception and how good FF10 was. A lot of analysts still think the release date played a major role in the poor sales.

GT also had a large build up over the years. They where one of the very, very few developers doing what they've done. They're a legacy brand that the name got carried over the decades, they had a very large reputation where as a lot of their competition weren't half as big. Even more so to go against the whole sales side of things is the fact that now we have many games that are doing so much more within the same niche-styled game. Look at Pcars for example, and while I know the first one was a bug ridden mess, it definitely looks to be the most like-for-like game that is doing so much more. GT selling so well seems to have no affect on the competition, as they've still stood with it over the years.

But all throughout PS3 GT, there was a lot of competition (I mentioned them in the earlier post). And by the time GT5 came around, Turn 10, Codemasters and NFS had ample time to develop a reputation. Also some people might think GT offers more than the other titles - something that goes beyond just a car/track count.

That seems to have been the opposite of what Sony expected before it came out, though.

Hindsight is 20/20. Makes me wonder what their plans are after GT Sport comes out though, and whether there will only be one GT title this generation.

There is one definite area where they are on top, and I feel that's visuals.

Agreed. PCars wasn't what people claim it would have been but Asetto Corsa on the other hand was impressive (physics). But the game it's self doesn't have the charisma as of Gt series.

Kaz did mention that during GTSport cycle, car list will reach 500. He said that GTSport could have been GT7 but chose to make fresh start for the series. To add each granturismo game was about collecting cars while GTSport is primarily focus on competition which is why it is not call GT7 as both differ. Judging by how the market is going. The next installment will most likely occur next gen as PS5 is scheduled for 2019-2020 release.

So far this will be a interested battle of 3 major titles coming out weeks apart.

Back