What do you know about the secret update?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TT92
  • 68 comments
  • 5,679 views

TT92

Premium
Messages
1,642
Australia
WA
Messages
TT__777
Last Tuesday the server and the GT website were down for a few hours. When I logged on I got a message that an update download was available but when I checked to se the notifications there was nothing there. After this it would appear that the GT3 cars have been "tweaked.

Let me explain further.

Myself and a colleague have been trying to test and match race the GT3 class cars. We had chosen 610PP max, no tuning, no aids (except ABS1) on Sport Soft tyres.

The 4 cars we have extensively tested (mainly at Bathurst) are the Merc SLS, Nissan GTR, BMW Z4 and the Audi R8 LMS (the blue and yellow one).

Previously the SLS was the pick of the bunch as far as driveability and punch out of corners, though the Audi was the fastest it was the hardest to drive consistently and the GTR was very good but would spin up coming out of corners once the turbo kicked in and the Z4 was just a little slower but best on tyre wear.

Last night we tested these same cars again, at Bathurst and now it is all different. Before anyone says anything the room settings were exactly the same because it was template that was loaded (and then triple checked, several times). We also changed tracks and came back to Bathurst and rechecked the cars again in case something was glitchy in the room.

As a test we also ran the McLaren F1 base model race car at the exactly the same specs and it's lap times and driveability have not altered. So it is definitely not a general physics tweak. BTW we sort of use the McLaren as a benchmark to test findings because we know it is easy to drive and so consistent and our lap times in it are nearly identical. This is what makes it so good to benchmark with because it can show up whether or not a driver is having an off night. And don't we all get that from time to time ;-)

After last night the results are astonishing. The SLS has been nobbled and now is the slowest car, the Nissan GTR is now just awesome. It is the fastest, it no longer spins up coming out of corners and is just fantastic and is over 2 secs a lap faster. The Z4 now has the same tyre wear as the others and feels less stable, the Audi is slower and is harder to drive. The poor old SLS has gone from the best to worst in a major downgrade and is over 2secs a lap slower, no more punch out of corners and just understeers like a b!tch across the top of the mountain.

And no we are not imagining this (I do actually wish it was the case) because we both really miss the SLS :-(

Who else has twigged to the changes? Who else has noticed anything else strange in the game? Since the non-update was released?

Cheers TT
 
I myself noticed something along the lines of this, but in the Seasonal TT with the "Rocket". I had the car all set up and could easily come within .100 or less of my best time on a consistent basis. After the time period you speak of, the acceleration of the car was/is way off. I cannot even get within .400 of my best time now. The handling of the car seems slightly changed, but the biggest thing is the acceleration as it is nowhere near what it was before. At first I just though it was just me, but now that you bring this up, maybe it is related to what you speak of. All I know is the car is no longer what is was after that "secret update". I also did an acceleration test against my ghost saved from an earlier test session and the car did indeed prove to be slower. I again dismissed this though for the simple reason that there was no update or anything that I had knowingly downloaded that would have changed anything. I was not thinking that there was perhaps a secret update. Anyway, that's my story on the matter.
 
I agree it would be nice to get details of all the updates...not knowing the changes and ppl having to guess sucks...just my .02
 
I myself noticed something along the lines of this, but in the Seasonal TT with the "Rocket". I had the car all set up and could easily come within .100 or less of my best time on a consistent basis. After the time period you speak of, the acceleration of the car was/is way off. I cannot even get within .400 of my best time now. The handling of the car seems slightly changed, but the biggest thing is the acceleration as it is nowhere near what it was before. At first I just though it was just me, but now that you bring this up, maybe it is related to what you speak of. All I know is the car is no longer what is was after that "secret update". I also did an acceleration test against my ghost saved from an earlier test session and the car did indeed prove to be slower. I again dismissed this though for the simple reason that there was no update or anything that I had knowingly downloaded that would have changed anything. I was not thinking that there was perhaps a secret update. Anyway, that's my story on the matter.
I also have notice this because I used your tune for the rocket Time Trial super lap and I had a good lap time for it. And after the server went down and after a while then the server come back on I could not get within a half a second of the time and I also notice the handling of the car is a different than what it was before the server went down and I did not change anything on the car to make the handling different.
 
I can't say I've driven that SLS much, however, when I had driven it a while ago I thought it was a bit of an understeering pig (for my driving style), but it was manageable. Today, I took it out again while having some offline fun/grinding and couldn't believe how much the car did not want to turn when exiting a corner, it felt like driving the Volvo 240 estate.

I had to double check the tire display to make sure there weren't SM's on the front somehow, but nope, I had RH's fitted. I sure wouldn't want to do any serious racing in a car with handling like that.
 
I also have notice this because I used your tune for the rocket Time Trial super lap and I had a good lap time for it. And after the server went down and after a while then the server come back on I could not get within a half a second of the time and I also notice the handling of the car is a different than what it was before the server went down and I did not change anything on the car to make the handling different.

Well, good to know that it wasn't just me then. I found it quite odd but like I said, I didn't think much of it being any kind of physics change or anything because I hadn't downloaded any updates or anything. If they are going to start doing these "stealth" updates, then that is going to be pretty much it with me and this game. I don't find it amusing that they just change things with the game without an update having to be downloaded or even notifying us of a change. The car is junk now compared to how I had it before....I am not amused PD. Getting close to just telling them to stick this game where the sun don't shine if this is how their going to go about their business.
 
Thankyou for the replies guys. So it is just not one or two of us that have had "unexplained" changes occur.

This is my biggest bugbear with PD, they change stuff that renders *ALL* of your tuning and testing invalid.

It would seem we are playing a game where the goal post just keep moving all the time :-( And not usually in a good direction.

So my *BIG QUESTION* now is "Why won't PD keep us informed about these specific changes?

Just think of all those wasted days they spent on giving us Moon missions when that time should have been spent on developing this farcical Beta Release :-(

I don't want to start a PD bashing session here I just wanted to try and establish whether or not an update had occurred. It would appear from the feedback that it most certainly has.

I just wonder how Mercedes feels now that there SLS has been downgraded to junk status by PD after all the collaboration and mutual back slapping that has been going on.

Well at least we can be assured that Kaz's drive in a Nissan is guaranteed for the rest of season anyway ;-) Yes, I know I am a cynical ***** ;-)
 
I myself noticed something along the lines of this, but in the Seasonal TT with the "Rocket". I had the car all set up and could easily come within .100 or less of my best time on a consistent basis. After the time period you speak of, the acceleration of the car was/is way off. I cannot even get within .400 of my best time now. The handling of the car seems slightly changed, but the biggest thing is the acceleration as it is nowhere near what it was before. At first I just though it was just me, but now that you bring this up, maybe it is related to what you speak of. All I know is the car is no longer what is was after that "secret update". I also did an acceleration test against my ghost saved from an earlier test session and the car did indeed prove to be slower. I again dismissed this though for the simple reason that there was no update or anything that I had knowingly downloaded that would have changed anything. I was not thinking that there was perhaps a secret update. Anyway, that's my story on the matter.

I'm presuming you've checked your oil status?

I can't imagine that doing maintenance on the internet servers would alter the game in our console in any way. The build number is the same now as it was last week so there has been no update to the game, secret or otherwise. Perhaps the way the game interacts with the internet environment has changed slightly and this could cause the cars to behave slightly differently when online but that doesn't qualify as a game update. There's a chance it was broken before, you guys tuned around it but now that they've fixed it your tunes don't work anymore. This is one of the many reasons I don't tune cars and haven't since the second year of GT5.

Just to provide balance to the anecdotal evidence presented here I drove both the SLS and the Rocket today. I race the Rocket every week with a club so I know it very well, I perceived no difference in its behavior and my lap times are the same as they ever were. I don't drive the SLS quite as often but it is one of my go to's and same story there, felt the same as always and lap times are the same as I remember them being. It's still a treat to drive and handles very nicely. Both of these cars were completely stock other than brake bias. All of my cars are stock and none of the ones I've driven recently feel/lap any differently than they have since the introduction of 1.04.


Just my 2 cents.
 
Have over 8 thousand miles on my R8 LMS, just had a 52 lapper earlier today, and didn't notice any change. Also have a couple thousand miles on my Z4, GT-R, and SLS combined and I haven't noticed any differences in them. Could it be tire dependent? I was on RM and RS.
 
Have over 8 thousand miles on my R8 LMS, just had a 52 lapper earlier today, and didn't notice any change. Also have a couple thousand miles on my Z4, GT-R, and SLS combined and I haven't noticed any differences in them. Could it be tire dependent? I was on RM and RS.

We discounted tyre changes as they *should have* remained constant. As in, all times slower/faster but the same cars being in the same order of speed/handling difference.

Yes we discussed and tested for that. Also that's why we reset the room and used different hosts.

We use Sports Soft as these will show up differences in cars a lot easier than their grippier counter parts.
 
Did a race in my SLS earlier tonight. Didnt notice any difference. The series I race in has the exact same cars you tested. Not sure what PP we are at though. We are power and weight regulated. No one mentioned anything about the cars feeling different. We race on RH's, so Stiggy may be on to something.

Not trying to doubt your findings. Just reporting what I saw tonight. :cheers:
 
I'm presuming you've checked your oil status?

I can't imagine that doing maintenance on the internet servers would alter the game in our console in any way. The build number is the same now as it was last week so there has been no update to the game, secret or otherwise. Perhaps the way the game interacts with the internet environment has changed slightly and this could cause the cars to behave slightly differently when online but that doesn't qualify as a game update. There's a chance it was broken before, you guys tuned around it but now that they've fixed it your tunes don't work anymore. This is one of the many reasons I don't tune cars and haven't since the second year of GT5.

The cars were untuned as previously stated.

Just to provide balance to the anecdotal evidence presented here I drove both the SLS and the Rocket today. I race the Rocket every week with a club so I know it very well, I perceived no difference in its behavior and my lap times are the same as they ever were. I don't drive the SLS quite as often but it is one of my go to's and same story there, felt the same as always and lap times are the same as I remember them being. It's still a treat to drive and handles very nicely. Both of these cars were completely stock other than brake bias. All of my cars are stock and none of the ones I've driven recently feel/lap any differently than they have since the introduction of 1.04.

Mmmmmmm......... You don't mention what tyres you use. And I can't comment on the rocket it is one of my least used cars.

BTW since 1.04 they tweaked the handling of 4x4s. Read Hot Fixes 31 Jan 2014 for proof

Here is the link to the official website http://eu.gran-turismo.com/au/news/?t=gt6update
See the changes without updating the build number so I am afraid your theory here doesn't hold up.

I still maintain there was a secret update and we were not told.
 
BTW since 1.04 they tweaked the handling of 4x4s. Read Hot Fixes 31 Jan 2014 for proof

Here is the link to the official website http://eu.gran-turismo.com/au/news/?t=gt6update
See the changes without updating the build number so I am afraid your theory here doesn't hold up.

I still maintain there was a secret update and we were not told.

The hot fixes do change the build number. The 4wd fix changed the build number from 1.04.6994774E to 1.04.6997743E, as mentioned in the thread I linked
 
I'm presuming you've checked your oil status?

I can't imagine that doing maintenance on the internet servers would alter the game in our console in any way. The build number is the same now as it was last week so there has been no update to the game, secret or otherwise. Perhaps the way the game interacts with the internet environment has changed slightly and this could cause the cars to behave slightly differently when online but that doesn't qualify as a game update. There's a chance it was broken before, you guys tuned around it but now that they've fixed it your tunes don't work anymore. This is one of the many reasons I don't tune cars and haven't since the second year of GT5.

Just to provide balance to the anecdotal evidence presented here I drove both the SLS and the Rocket today. I race the Rocket every week with a club so I know it very well, I perceived no difference in its behavior and my lap times are the same as they ever were. I don't drive the SLS quite as often but it is one of my go to's and same story there, felt the same as always and lap times are the same as I remember them being. It's still a treat to drive and handles very nicely. Both of these cars were completely stock other than brake bias. All of my cars are stock and none of the ones I've driven recently feel/lap any differently than they have since the introduction of 1.04.


Just my 2 cents.
No need to checked the oil because is was a new car for the rocket super lap. As I said in my post I did not change anything before the server went down and after a while then the server come back on it was the car was handling different than it was before. So there maybe strange some things happening to this game.
 
The hot fixes do change the build number. The 4wd fix changed the build number from 1.04.6994774E to 1.04.6997743E, as mentioned in the thread I linked

So my theory does hold up, and so far it's the only one with empirical evidence behind it. Since we weren't discussing any AWD cars the hot fix has no bearing.
 
Anyone tested camber lately?

At some point if they update the effect camber has to give a cornering-grip advantage, they'd probably have to make cars have LESS grip and be slower round corners if running 0.0 degrees camber.

-I've been keeping mine offline for a while so I've probably missed any secret updates.
 
So my theory does hold up, and so far it's the only one with empirical evidence behind it. Since we weren't discussing any AWD cars the hot fix has no bearing.

It usually helps if you read the thread, in particular the post I quoted before writing things off as irrelevant.
 
It usually helps if you read the thread, in particular the post I quoted before writing things off as irrelevant.

I was agreeing with you, your comment supported my earlier statement that the build number has not changed in the last week therefore there has been no update to the game.

My comment about irrelevance was in regards to TT92's statement about the hot fix which only effected some AWD cars and not the cars being discussed in this thread, therefore it's irrelevant to this discussion.
 
Fair enough, I apologise, think I read it wrong 👍
 
Anecdotal evidence has proven a highly unreliable method of investigation when it comes to PD. I would think that if physics were secretly tweaked to the extent mentioned in some of the posts here, the boards would be inundated with threads and posts along that line. Even after the real updates there are always plenty of posts that say, "This has completely changed" or, "My car X is completely different", and it almost never turns out to be accurate:lol:
 
Beings another person here has experienced the same thing that I have, with the exact same car and tune, I am inclined to believe something was changed during the time that the servers were down. Maybe something was done on the server side that caused some cars to act differently than they did before, who knows. I firmly believe though that something was changed somewhere. The fact that there was not an outpouring of people claiming, or thinking, something was tweaked could be because of the reason I stated before. There was no downloading of a patch/update, so I was just figuring it was me and something I was doing differently, but at the same time thinking to myself something is different here. Anyway, that's my thoughts and opinion on the issue.
 
The hot fixes do change the build number. The 4wd fix changed the build number from 1.04.6994774E to 1.04.6997743E, as mentioned in the thread I linked

OK I have now checked my exact build number and it has not changed from 1.04.6997743E. I was mistakenly looking at the version number only :-( Apologies for being incorrect on this point.

So it now begs the question did they still do a tweak and not change the version number? To cover their tracks?
 
Why cover their tracks when they're well within their rights to change the code as they see fit?
 
Beings another person here has experienced the same thing that I have, with the exact same car and tune, I am inclined to believe something was changed during the time that the servers were down. Maybe something was done on the server side that caused some cars to act differently than they did before, who knows. I firmly believe though that something was changed somewhere. The fact that there was not an outpouring of people claiming, or thinking, something was tweaked could be because of the reason I stated before. There was no downloading of a patch/update, so I was just figuring it was me and something I was doing differently, but at the same time thinking to myself something is different here. Anyway, that's my thoughts and opinion on the issue.
When it comes to PD, and their almost completely lack of relevant, useful communication, absolutely anything is possible. I would never say that something did or didn't happen however, until there was a preponderance of evidence one way or the other. I would assume over the next few days more evidence will come to light if it is true. We'll have to wait and see.....which seems to be the most common saying when it comes to GT6:lol:

BTW, have you checked any other cars?
 
It's something to do with the seasonal rocket car super lap or online lobby races.
 
Up until now I had not thought this next bit of info relevant and it still may prove not to be.

At Bathurst, at the Chase, at the apex of the first left hander of the chicane I always get a sound drop out at the same point nearly every lap. Again, this has only happened since the Tuesday server issues. I am used to random sound drop outs at Bathurst and I know this is a common problem but it is far more specific now.

I still maintain that something has changed and I am at a loss to explain what, hence these posts.

It also doesn't give me confidence knowing that it will very soon all change again, when the next round of updates start, with the new DLC coming (eventually).

So wouldn't it be nice (courteous?) for PD to actually keep us informed about what they are actually doing with all these tweaks?

Here's an example straight from their website.

"Gran Turismo 6 HotFixes
GT6 Updates
The following issue has been addressed: - The vehicle dynamics for some four wheel drive cars has been corrected."

So what vehicles were affected and what did they change? Why won't they tell us? What does PD have to hide? Or are we just expected to behave like school children and just blindly accept it is for our greater good?

I am generally very unhappy about how GT6 (really 5.5 Beta) is panning out and am becoming extremely frustrated with never driving the same car twice with the same characteristics (slight exaggeration but you get the point).

Something changed last Tuesday and so why won't anyone tell us what it was? What reason is there for all this secrecy?

I do thoroughly understand that it is a Japanese cultural thing to "save face" and not have to admit to any mistakes but surely it shouldn't extend to a video game? Or are we really just dealing with Kaz and an enormous ego.

What ever, I believe we should be treated a lot better than what we are now. There is only just so many broken promises and missed dates people will tolerate. Personally I am getting to my limit.

<rant mode OFF>
 
Is that online or offline? It could be server issues.
 
Back