What *do* you like about GTS? From the beta

What do you think about the beta (keeping in mind that changes will be made in the final game)?

• It's great; GT is back

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • It's OK; pretty good overall but needs some work

Votes: 69 36.7%
  • I'm still indifferent and haven't decided either way

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • It's not good; needs a lot of work

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • It's terrible

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
From the beta videos seen this week, I like the Improved lighting engine and visuals, the vastly improved sounds, amazing replays and User friendly UI.

It does make me laugh :lol: everyone is very quick to post on all the many negative and what you *don't* like threads and not playing the beta! :sly::gtpflag:

Last edited:
I've played one of the available public demos at a trade show here in the UK.
From memory the handling felt very similar to GT6, which for me isn't a bad thing.

The graphics looked great, and replays as good as ever. Probably the best replays of any race game I've ever played/watched.

From what I've seen of the beta, everything looks to have improved, especially the sounds.

The only criticism I would throw at it (at this point in time), is, it's still very "Gran Turismo". I've not seen them do anything particularly different or daring.
For me I've always enjoyed GT games and the system they follow, but I'm sure others would not be happy with this.

I think the most radical thing I've seen from the beta so far is the 360 view around the car!

I've voted "it's great", because i am genuinely pleased to see a much loved game return, improved and looking great. Can't wait to play.

I won't be voting until I've played the beta but judging solely by the streams and videos, I'm glad to hear some genuine improvements of the sounds. The audio levels for the engine and transmission whine needs some adjusting though. Graphics, lighting, replays, UI all looking great as well.

Still cautiously optimistic though. Hopefully there'll be enough SP/career content to justify a purchase down the line.

Last edited:
After seeing a couple of Marvins streams I also like the lighting, the exterior of the colorful cars and then the replays. Jaw dropping. Hope to read about the car handling, physics, FBB etc soon.

And may be PD will include PSVR in the beta phase 2 as well? If PD is looking for a volunteer I am willing to spend some time for them and it will cost them nothing, gratuit, free, gratis and I can bring a couple of my virtual PSVR friends on this GTP forum too :sly:

I haven't played the beta yet but here is what I like about it from the streams I've seen so far.

1. The graphics are beautiful, lighting and shadows are really nice, photorealism is incredible.

2. The menus are slick and look easy to navigate.

3. The HUB when driving looks neat to me, I like it a lot.

4. Engine sounds are much improved from previous GT titles, cracks and pops aswell as the transmission whine and suspension judder are really well done. Engine notes themselves are spot on, while there not up to other racing games standards like Asseto or Raceroom they are certainly heading in the right direction so keep improving the sounds PD, good Job.

5. Music both for the menus and when racing is a nice mix of past GT songs and new stuff, I especially like the menu music, to me it's a little like classic GT while being modern.

That's all I have so far but I'm very happy with what I've seen from the beta, PD are moving in the right direction, I'm excited for GTS release and indeed any more info from the beta tests.

I like the new track leaderboards. No more ten car limit when doing time trials. Now 20 lol. It could be a bit more, but who knows, maybe it's not a finished product.

One of my favorite things is how the cars lean on their suspension and how they react to bumps. Looks really life-like, especially on the Gr.N cars. When a car starts to slide the suspension movement looks really natural.

Hankolerd, do you have access to the beta? Based of some of the youtube videos I've watched the car physics seem really static. One thing that really bugs me is that it looks like the game camera is stabilized to the cars license plate. Meaning that you never really get a glimpse of the side profile of the car while turning, making it seem very rigid. I'd be using in the cockpit view all the time anyway though.

Based of some of the youtube videos I've watched the car physics seem really static.
Protip: don't ever say you can judge physics based off videos. The last person I saw do that... well, it didn't end well for them.

Protip: don't ever say you can judge physics based off videos. The last person I saw do that... well, it didn't end well for them.

Yah that sentence wasn't worded correctly. I've been playing racing sims for a long time now and at first glance GTS has me worried is all.

Hankolerd, do you have access to the beta? Based of some of the youtube videos I've watched the car physics seem really static. One thing that really bugs me is that it looks like the game camera is stabilized to the cars license plate. Meaning that you never really get a glimpse of the side profile of the car while turning, making it seem very rigid. I'd be using in the cockpit view all the time anyway though.

I do not. I am looking more at the way cars around the player or in replays react to surfaces and lean into corners. There are a lot of good gifs/videos in the screenshots and videos thread (and on neogaf where these are from) where this can be seen.
slomo1shsf8.gif

slomo2k3si0.gif

slomo39psil.gif

The static vs. floaty camera is a totally separate discussion. Like you, I prefer the cockpit view. My favorite implementation so far is PCars helmet cam, which looks towards the apex in each corner.

Last edited:
Imo it sucked in Shift 2 and was rather annoying in PCars. But I like the idea.
Yeah. Whenever I decided to try to play with it on, I'd constantly lose sight of my apexes due to the unexpected motion. If I'm playing on a flat screen and not in VR, I'd prefer the camera to stay a little more still.

Anyway, back on topic. :)

Yeah. Whenever I decided to try to play with it on, I'd constantly lose sight of my apexes due to the unexpected motion. If I'm playing on a flat screen and not in VR, I'd prefer the camera to stay a little more still.

Anyway, back on topic. :)
If you adjusted the % of look into to your liking it worked real well

Imo it sucked in Shift 2 and was rather annoying in PCars. But I like the idea.
Now that I finally found settings I like with the dualshock controller I am really enjoying PCARS, but it took me a long time to find controller settings I liked with all assists off. To me the helmet cam gives the best sense of car rotation around the driver. Definitely took some time to get used to, but now I even use it when racing online. I tend to spin when using other views as I can't always tell when the backend has started to break away until it is too late.

The static vs. floaty camera is a totally separate discussion. Like you, I prefer the cockpit view. My favorite implementation so far is PCars helmet cam, which looks towards the apex in each corner.
Thats interesting, whenever I have it turned on it makes me misjudge corners because it gives the illusion of my car turning without me doing anything.

From what I've seen the game is looking great, in all aspects.
It's just the single player area I fear for now.

But I'm posting to say, how brilliant does this game look?
Imagine being someone who doesn't frequent forums, and you went and purchased this game, because it's "Gran Turismo".
Then you went home and saw it for the first time.
You would be telling everyone and anyone who would listen about how great this game looks.

Like it or not, agree with it or not, Graphics sell.
I think PD will do well on the sales charts.

When I first drove PCars from GT6, the only way I could describe the difference in FFB was that GT6 felt 2d, while PCars was 3d. However many months later, I'm fully dissatisfied with how PCars handles oversteer, but otherwise find it great, and my favorite for more accessible games (I've yet to try iRacing) is AC.

If PCars FFB feel is the best, and AC the most realistic (from what I've played) with GT6 and Forza 4 being the last of the last gen I've played, when it comes to physics, AC scores 100, PCars 95, with GT6 and Forza 4 about 80, GTS is currently around 90. I love it, and nothing seems overtly incorrect, except for some weirdness when recovering slides which I think is built in to help noobs.

Gone are the days of nearly impossible no-ABS driving from GT6. I know some were successful, but I think it was far too unforgiving...it's now about as challenging as AC or PCars.

My limited time spent drifting some very non drift ready cars was very promising. It's easier to control weight transfer and overseer.

I have some noobish streams saved on my YouTube channel, with some hilarity and audio issues: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMu7-Rbh9EVaPveFwaW0qg

I did happen to get the 8th place overall qualifying time at BH during the second stream...with three GT Academy champs ahead of me, as well as a finalist. I'm a lowly semifinalist, haha.

Ask away if you have questions.

Thats interesting, whenever I have it turned on it makes me misjudge corners because it gives the illusion of my car turning without me doing anything.
Yeah that's my problem too. I like the idea of the helmet cam though, for VR. But head moving on its own is making it difficult to judge corners like you said. :)

Talking about catching oversteer, I couldn't believe how good the motion steering with DS4 was. I never would have considered trying it but read comments somewhere about how well it worked and decided to take a look. If I had to use a controller, honestly I'd go with motion steering 100%.

The only time I struggled with it was transitioning between two opposite hand turns. It seems to apply some sort of smoothing to find center when you are actually trying to turn the wheel the other direction, so it requires overshooting a little to get it to go where you want. For example, coming out of T2 at Brands Hatch, you have the controller tilted to the right as you exit the turn and you keep it there as you send the car to the right side of the road to set up for T3. Once on the right side of the road you tilt the controller slightly to the left to lead the car into T3 but the steering sort of stops at center unless you tilt it a little extra to let it know you REALLY don't want to go straight. So you can end up steering a bit jerky or understeering/late braking if you don't know to anticipate it.

*edit* One thing I will add is that motion steering feels natural to me as a wheel user, but might seem like a complete joke to someone with little or no wheel experience. I say that because usually people struggle with moderating their inputs when first going to wheel - turning the wheel way too much, sawing at it etc. This same behavior will probably present when attempting motion steering, so just be warned and try to take it slow and steady at first. Seriously this had me feeling like "well why the hell did I spend $300 on a wheel if they were just going to give me one!??!"

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back