What do you think is the "official" stance on duping? Pasta.

  • Thread starter Thread starter xSNAKEx
  • 92 comments
  • 5,145 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
1,210
Australia
Sydney
I've been wondering, do you think SCE or PD will ever implement any kind of penalty (even on the form of lack of reward) for people who are duping?

All trading, which the duping relies on, is done online.

I'm sure they could easily keep track of all the traffic and compare it to your garage to know who the dupers are. But are they? And will they ever?


The reason I ask, is I feel ike the next update in the coming week will put a stop to all the duping, and to be honest, seeing so many people here and almost everyone on my psn duping it up and making me offers, I kind of feel like a bit of an idiot for staying genuine.

I mean at frist I was against it, but now after seeing just how tedious GT5 becomes I dont really care anymore.

So I was thinking, if there are not going to be any penalties for duping, I might as well do it before the new pacth comes.

At least a few times on a few cars just so I can get some extra cars I dont have instead of having to grind.

Do you guys think there will ever be a penalty? Seems unlikely.
 
Last edited:
Why do you care if other people dupe? go outside, smell the air and get a life lol.
 
They (PD and Sony) already hired a few hitmen to put a stop to all dupers once and for all (with a total game refund of course)
But those who admit to duping and confessing their sin in church will be allowed to start the game from scratch and their life will be spared
 
Duping is not a problem. Because you only can send one car each day, the duping activity as business wont be near as active as in forza 3. Where you could send 10 Ferrari 250GTO at a time, and sell them for like 10 million each. I dont think duping is a problem, duping is a good opportunity to "share" cars with friends.
 
Meh, I won't go into my personal opinion. But as far as Sony/PD's opinion goes:

"Does it affect sales in a negative way? No? Don't care!"
Most likely, at least.

And while it would kinda, you know, funny to see the results of an 'Anti Duping Act' by Sony/PD for a day or two, it wouldn't go down well. All hell would brake lose, guaranteed.
 
Is it really necessary to start another "dupe or not to dupe" thread??
 
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some sort of 'anti duping' measures put in down the line, No idea how it would work though
 
I wouldn't say its that far fetched...

You guys say that, but keep in mind there is an even easier and less cunning way of duping parts in forza 3 which gives you credits.

All you have to do is swap an engine part for some specific car back and forward in the tuning menu and sell it for proffit.

Seems innocent enough, more so than gt5 duping, yet apparanlty people got BANNED from xbox live for it (which is a paid service mind you)

Turn 10 even put up overpriced 10 million dollar cars on their version of the Online collectors dealership, in order to give people a chance to give the money back to turn 10 by buying a crap car for a lot of money.

And these are just in game, complelty fictional parts and credits, but even so they still banned people from an online service they paid real money for (xbox live).

Oh yea it would be so much harder for them to do the same on a free service, where you signed the same EULA...
 
No more than grinding out the same race with a way overpowered car and getting Cr that way. No more than in older games, where we would race the same race to win the same car over and over and sell it each time.

Best solution to take care of duping is to get rid of gifting. Simple. Ideally it would be replaced by market place where player's could sell cars. Kinda like evilbay, sellers would have to pay listing fees, which would curb abuse (especially if it was percentage based on the retail price of the car)
 
Is it really necessary to start another "dupe or not to dupe" thread??

Its not a to dupe or not thread...at all. You've misunderstood the point of the thread.

I want to get peoples opinions on whether they think there will be some kind of penalty for it in the future.

Because as it stands I'm not against doing it if everyone else is, but if there will be some kind of penalty in the future then I probably will not.

It would be nice to know SCEs stance on this.

P.S, Why would I simply want to ask other peoples opinions on whether its morally ok for me to dupe or not? You mean there are really threads like this? :crazy:
 
Uxi
Best solution to take care of duping is to get rid of gifting. Simple. Ideally it would be replaced by market place where player's could sell cars. Kinda like evilbay, sellers would have to pay listing fees, which would curb abuse (especially if it was percentage based on the retail price of the car)

Wrong, best way to get rid of duping is to make more enjoyable A-spec events - that way pleople will be too entertained playing and wont give a :dunce: about duping...

At least I wont...

After the 5th 4 hours nurburgring race and 1000th indies and 200 dream car championship I got feed up and started duping....
 
I wouldn't say its that far fetched...

You guys say that, but keep in mind there is an even easier and less cunning way of duping parts in forza 3 which gives you credits.

All you have to do is swap an engine part for some specific car back and forward in the tuning menu and sell it for proffit.

Seems innocent enough, more so than gt5 duping, yet apparanlty people got BANNED from xbox live for it (which is a paid service mind you)

Turn 10 even put up overpriced 10 million dollar cars on their version of the Online collectors dealership, in order to give people a chance to give the money back to turn 10 by buying a crap car for a lot of money.

And these are just in game, complelty fictional parts and credits, but even so they still banned people from an online service they paid real money for (xbox live).

Oh yea it would be so much harder for them to do the same on a free service, where you signed the same EULA...

Yes, but the forza 3 duping/cheating is more sophisticated, no one uses the engine swap glitc, they either buy a program that could edit forza 3 saves, or buy credits online. In thay way you cant be banned from forza, because the system they use wont recognise it as cheating. The trick is, that you manipulate everything on a "second" account, and then send the "stuff" you your regular account.

This kind of activity will never be a sucess in gt5, because PD was smart enough to limit the car trade to one car a day. Also you cant gift those high priced cars. The only thing that will damage the system is, if anyone manipulate the savegame so you can have more cash.

People that nagging about the duping, birthday glitch etc, get over it, it is nothing compared to the cheating used in forza 3 and other games.
 
I dunno, with the specials and seasonals one shouldn't have to grind, nor resort to duping at least to late level 20s (27 or 28 or so). I'm all for more A-spec, one-make races back in the dealerships, though
 
I doubt there's really an official stance. Sony/PD is probably best served by avoiding the question altogether, because they want as many people as possible to be interested in their product.

That 'product' is a game to some, and an activity for others. Some want to play the campaign 'game', some just want to drive the cars. For people who just want to drive the cars (and there are lots of them), duping lets them enjoy that, and it makes their 60 bucks worthwhile. There's no 'cheating' because these folks aren't even playing the game, they're just enjoying what the software offers them. I don't think Sony/PD would have any interest in preventing that.
 
Uxi
I dunno, with the specials and seasonals one shouldn't have to grind, nor resort to duping at least to late level 20s (27 or 28 or so). I'm all for more A-spec, one-make races back in the dealerships, though

I started duping lvl 33
 
I doubt there's really an official stance. Sony/PD is probably best served by avoiding the question altogether, because they want as many people as possible to be interested in their product.

That 'product' is a game to some, and an activity for others. Some want to play the campaign 'game', some just want to drive the cars. For people who just want to drive the cars (and there are lots of them), duping lets them enjoy that, and it makes their 60 bucks worthwhile. There's no 'cheating' because these folks aren't even playing the game, they're just enjoying what the software offers them. I don't think Sony/PD would have any interest in preventing that.
Exactly what I mean. Where are both pros and cons with limitation. And personly i think there are to many limitation in gt5 for this kind of activity.
 
I started duping lvl 33

Pretty good case for a new category of race between Extreme and Endurance.

"Ultimate?"

Could revisit some other categories, too. Maybe quick and easy but maybe duplicate each category again, this time with restrictions in HP and/or tire. I'm thinking the easiest is to use the B-spec model (doubled laps and tire restrictions), but put in A-Spec. So instead of a single column, we get a second Column and go through them all again, from Sunday Cup through Dream Car again with the B-Spec restrictions.

I'd also really like the "one-make" races back in the dealership (yeah I know I can practice and do it, but want it in A-spec with trophies, awards, etc) and would like Seasonals that have been golded to be re-doable in A-spec, too.

But really, the answer is still available to us now: online racing. Better rewards, etc. A better course generator with more detail and league/team/clan/guild management, particularly if it would promote online racing and leaderboards, etc.
 
What about the people who create multiple accounts just to do the seasonal events, buy cars with the 5 million and then send them all back to their main account?
Not cheating in any way but just as effective.

Like I said before. All gt games have been exploited! it sells more games!

People are buying the game right now because they know u can trade for a x2010!
 
I've stopped playing GT5 all together until we get some sort of official word from Kaz. I don't want to take any chances that I'm doing something immoral in GT. I'd never forgive myself if I drove a car that's been duped... :nervous:
 
Really?! A post asking the morality of duping? Maybe you should tackle World hunger or something worthwhile....
 
I've stopped playing GT5 all together until we get some sort of official word from Kaz. I don't want to take any chances that I'm doing something immoral in GT. I'd never forgive myself if I drove a car that's been duped... :nervous:
I hope youre kidding man. If you have been trading lately, the chances are high that you have been given a duped car, because people smart enough backup their save before trading a expensive car.

Remember, "sucess is brought upon the exploitation of others" - tt3_az
 
I've stopped playing GT5 all together until we get some sort of official word from Kaz. I don't want to take any chances that I'm doing something immoral in GT. I'd never forgive myself if I drove a car that's been duped... :nervous:

:lol: Come on. It's not even possible. There's no such thing as driving a 'duped' car. The cars are exactly the same. When you 'send' a car, you're not really sending a car, virtual or otherwise. All that's happening is a code is being sent to unlock a particular car with X color and X options and X setup from your disc and put it in your garage.

Yes, it's possible at some point Sony could decide to track it and stop it. But would they? Doubtful. As I've said before and as others have pointed out, the reason the game save was protected in the first place was to prevent possible tampering of DLC. If Sony started selling DLC for GT5 and people found a way to copy them, you better believe they would put a stop to it very quickly. And people would probably get their accounts banned for that kind of illegal activity. And I would be the first in line to agree with it.

But so long as people are only duping cars on the disc, it doesn't represent a loss of revenue for Sony. And it will likely continue unabated.
 
Last edited:
I've stopped playing GT5 all together until we get some sort of official word from Kaz. I don't want to take any chances that I'm doing something immoral in GT. I'd never forgive myself if I drove a car that's been duped... :nervous:

Really ?:dopey:
 
I want to get peoples opinions on whether they think there will be some kind of penalty for it in the future.

Funny, if you don't have an opinion on it then, you wouldn't be asking if there would be a "moral" penalty.
 
Really?! A post asking the morality of duping? Maybe you should tackle World hunger or something worthwhile....

Come on. What is it with GT planet and people on here that have no ability to comprehend a post longer than 10 words so they just guess. It happens so much here..

If you're talking about me (the guy who made the thread, the first post, on page one, at the very top, its a guy with the user name xSNAKEx, ask me if you're still confused) then I never asked about the morality of duping cars.

This thread is not about that...sheesh people read.
 
This thread will probably get locked but I must say this is the most hilarious topic yet....unless he is being serious.
 
Come on. What is it with GT planet and people on here that have no ability to comprehend a post longer than 10 words so they just guess. It happens so much here..

If you're talking about me (the guy who made the thread, the first post, on page one, at the very top, its a guy with the user name xSNAKEx, ask me if you're still confused) then I never asked about the morality of duping cars.

This thread is not about that...sheesh people read.

The title of this thread would easily make people think that's what it is about. If you want people to stop making comments, maybe change the thread title from " What do you think is the "official" stance on duping? Just a moral penalty?" ??

Just a thought....
 
Funny, if you don't have an opinion on it then, you wouldn't be asking if there would be a "moral" penalty.

Really? I missed the part where I asked if there is a moral penalty, it must have been my other personality. Can you link me to it so I can see what he wrote?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back