What have you done to your car today?

I swore at all the road salt building up on my car (It's stinking and I only washed it last week!), and defrosted it, again. Bloody ice.

everyones getting new wipers :odd: i got new ones all round recently lol i discovered the wonders of driving at night in fog so thick i could barely see the edge of the road each side :scared: tho it was a road i knew and i followed the cats eyes :P think i'll leave driving for a few days until the holiday morons are back to work :P come thurs itl be 2 incident free years since passing test woo :D

Today I decided to check my oil and found that there was no oil on it :scared:. I did an oil change right after I found that out. When I was changing the oil my dad said that I should pull the spark plugs to see what they looked like and they where bad. So I called NAPA to see if they had some NGKs for my car and they didn't so I cleaned the old plugs with a sand blaster and put them back in. After that I raised the car back up on the lift (I work at a shop) and found that all of the sensors in the transmission where loose and the same with the drain plug. The guy that I bought the car from did the 5 speed swap and IMO didn't do that great of a job.... I also washed out the engine bay and gave her a bath.

Clipboard011.jpg

Well...yeah, you do. In my case I usually take it to a car wash, dowse the engine bay and bottom of the hood with Simple Green, and then powerwash it all out. I've got to be careful so I don't shove a bunch of water in the distributor because I had a bad experience with that in the Sol. The engine misfired and sputtered on and off for a couple days until it all dried out.

Lets see...
Checked the oil (Good level, although approaching the interval for a change), then gave it a very thorough wash and vacuum. I took about half a pound of leaves and decaying pine needles out from behind a body panel and flushed all the drain channels (for sunroof, rear hatch, etc) with compressed air to ensure a clear run - I had some water intrusion into the hatch over the past couple days, I'm hoping that it was just a plugged drain).
Over the next week I need to do an oil change (and round up about five litres of Mobil 0W30... or 5W30 at least), and check and/or change the alternator (and probably AC compressor) belts, as they're squealing. Finally, I might change the windsheild wiper blades. I'd replaced the drivers side a month ago, but it's streaking already. Mabye they'll take it back under warranty.

Edit - And yeah. I'd reccomend the use of Castrol Super Clean, and a scrubbrush. Try not to wet the computer and fuse box too much, but everything there is built to be water resistant.

Well...yeah, you do. In my case I usually take it to a car wash, dowse the engine bay and bottom of the hood with Simple Green, and then powerwash it all out. I've got to be careful so I don't shove a bunch of water in the distributor because I had a bad experience with that in the Sol. The engine misfired and sputtered on and off for a couple days until it all dried out.

They make a special cleaners that you can use, it's at AutoZone and such.

Thanks, guys!👍 I'll have to try some of that out sometime.

As for the GTI, they still don't know what's wrong with it. Hopefully I'll get it back sometime this week. So much for all those diagnostic electronics that are supposed to tell you what is wrong.:mad:

Looks like I'll be in the Jetta for awhile, which isn't a bad car at all mind you.

As for the GTI, they still don't know what's wrong with it. Hopefully I'll get it back sometime this week. So much for all those diagnostic electronics that are supposed to tell you what is wrong.:mad:

Looks like I'll be in the Jetta for awhile, which isn't a bad car at all mind you.
What happened to the GTI?

Today I decided to check my oil and found that there was no oil on it :scared:. I did an oil change right after I found that out. When I was changing the oil my dad said that I should pull the spark plugs to see what they looked like and they where bad. So I called NAPA to see if they had some NGKs for my car and they didn't so I cleaned the old plugs with a sand blaster and put them back in. After that I raised the car back up on the lift (I work at a shop) and found that all of the sensors in the transmission where loose and the same with the drain plug. The guy that I bought the car from did the 5 speed swap and IMO didn't do that great of a job.... I also washed out the engine bay and gave her a bath.

Clipboard011.jpg
So did you put the car on the lift or a lift on your car?

Either way, nice car, and nice wheels. What are they?

@Diablomonkey.

I've been looking for Enkei Mesh's forever for my RX-7, and you buy a car with them on or something similar to them, I'm jealous! They look great!

What happened to the GTI?

The check engine light came on and there was some kind of ticking at idle. A friend thought it was the lifters, VW thought it was the fuel line.

The light has been on for a while now, and I somehow managed to make it go away over thanksgiving but it came back on. I'll keep you guys posted though.

So did you put the car on the lift or a lift on your car?

Either way, nice car, and nice wheels. What are they?

Thank you! and the wheels are august feroce 15x7 and +15 (think)

The only down side is that there is one missing and there is an ssr in its place the mesh is the same but the lip is smooth:indiff:

I figured I'd join in on this.
Today, I ran new oil lines from the Behr oil cooler to the sandwich adaptor. Funny thing is, I got the wrong adaptors for the 3/8" NPT fittings, and got 1/2 inch instead. lol Wrong size.
So I finished up on the custom rear tiebar for the car.
I haven't test driven the car yet with the bar but will very soon.
Here's a pic of the tiebar.
tybar__3_.jpg

tybar__8_.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of the oil heat exchange unit I got off of a Merecedes Benz from the junkyard. It's a nice unit and should serve me well until I get my Earls setup I'm really wanting.
oilcooler__9_.jpg

oilcooler__6_.jpg

Well, that was from the last couple of days so will have to do. ;)

Much more to do as I get this car prepped for track days, autocross, and more 1/4 mile runs. :D

GTI Update:

Good news: We know what's wrong! It's a vacuum leak. This makes sense because the vacuum totally freaked out over summer and started whistling loudly and embarrassingly.

Bad news: Apparently they can't isolate the leak. It seems that the car should be back in the next few days though:tup:.

Lately I have been running map trace on my ecu to get a idea of what load points I was hitting on my ign/fuel map in the upper end, soon I will add some timing in those reference points while keeping a close monitor on the knock sensor readings. As it is now knock is extremely low, even on warm days.

Uh...I haven't driven my car in the past three days.

:odd: That needed to be posted why?

Anyways today I reprogrammed a bunch of items on the Cooper's on board computer. Now the car has DRL's, blinks three times when you tap the indicator stalk, unlocks just the drivers down with the fob, and has the radio set to a lower volume when you start the car up. Maybe it's just because I was coming from a series of vehicles with little or no input into the workings of it, but I actually had fun doing this.

I don't know...I was bored, okay?

I'll probably take it out to the wash bay sometime this week, might even grab the digicam and take photos of the Grand View Drive circuit I made up for GT5.

Do you guys have a chamois that you use anytime you wash your car, even if it's at the automatics?

Tonight I Changed the spark plugs and did a few other things.

Before I started unplugging stuff
DSC023911.jpg

Plug Wires are off
DSC023931.jpg

The old plugs. They where Autolites and I put in some NGKs
DSC023981.jpg

The new shiny plugs
DSC023991.jpg

After that I worked on figuring out why my speedo didn't work, and while I was looking around under the hood I noticed that there was a cut wire hanging out. And it just happed to be one of the wires that went to the speed sensor on the transmission. After about 30 minuets (working with a wire that only is 1 1/2" long is hard!) I put the rear of the car up in the air and started it up and put it in gear. When I let off the clutch it died.... I thought "thats odd there should be no load on the engine so why did it die? So I stared it back up and then gave it revs and let the clutch out. The wheels started to spin and the speedo started to read speed. After having the wheels spinning for about a minuet I noticed that the e-brake was on.... D'oh! I took it out for a quick spin around the block and every thing was working great. Then I went back in the garage and tried to figure out why the key didn't lock and unlock the doors. I found that where the rod from the lock goes to the latch was broken. Then I worked on the 3ed brake light because it doesn't work and found out that the housing where the bulbs sit was meted. So now I need Tires, 2 Door latches, and the 3ed brake light assembly.

After dealing with the important stuff I put on my dangler.... yes a dangler, and a Ninja Dangler at that.

DSC024021.jpg

Thats weird... Under warranty I assume?

Yep. I think I have like 2,000 miles until the warranty expires though.:scared:

My VW ADHD also continued today. I moved up the line up to a Passat today. With the same engine and gear, it feels just like a bloated GTI. I'll have my car back on Friday though:tup:. I'll have to wash it right after I get it back.

I decided yesterday to make my car about 20 pounds heavier with an anti-rice subwoofer I got as a gift. I believe the MTX guys are geniuses, because this is the only non-stock woofer I've ever seen that actually looks and sounds like it's supposed to be there...

MyEM108.jpg

MyEM110.jpg

yesterday Frankenbenz finally got an oil change, plus a new air filter and a good interior cleaning as well as a good wheel cleaning (too cold to clean the whole car) a nice little surprise for my girlfriend when she got back from her family's

Frank's to do list
-valve adjustment
-tires (badly, coming 1/4/08)
-plug hole in washer fluid tank
-stop oil leak under dash

there's always more on a car that old, most of it isn't worth worrying over because of the age and the fact that it may soon be relegated to an extra...

-stop oil leak under dash
Eh? Is this some sort of German engineering trade secret? Last time I checked my oil was in the engine, and that was on the other side of the firewall from the dash...:odd:

Eh? Is this some sort of German engineering trade secret? Last time I checked my oil was in the engine, and that was on the other side of the firewall from the dash...:odd:

older diesels actually used oil pressure to actuate the oil pressure guage, apparently one of the fittings is leaking very slowly causing a drip every now and then.

Back