What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,142 comments
Apparently I have an active network connection I didn't know about.

DR0xAXw.png

:lol:

Tomorrow, this happens:
DSC00826.JPG

If there was any doubt earlier that I have a problem, it's been well and truly put to rest :lol: 3570K, three displays, 24GB of memory, GTX 780Ti GHz Edition, bucketload of storage and now a 240mm AIO liquid cooler...!

Tomorrow, this happens:

If there was any doubt earlier that I have a problem, it's been well and truly put to rest :lol: 3570K, three displays, 24GB of memory, GTX 780Ti GHz Edition, bucketload of storage and now a 240mm AIO liquid cooler...!

Psh, if that's not compatible with LGA 2011v3 you're doing it all wrong. Or, keep your CPU on air and use that H100i and an NZXT G10 on your 780Ti.

I notice you have two mice. Maybe you do have a problem.

It's 2011 compatible so it works with 2011-3 as well :P

I actually have more than two mice - I also have two wireless Logitech ones for a total of four; then there's the additional three keyboards (two wireless, one of which is an all-in-one), two gamepads and three headsets...

Oh, I forgot the two laptops and two tablets (7" and 10").

DSC00830.JPG

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

(in shot: Corsair case, CPU cooler, PSU and RAM; Gigabyte motherboard and graphics card. Guess you could say I like Corsair and Gigabyte stuff :lol:)

Rather annoyingly, I can't for the life of me find the two expansion slot covers that I had to remove for SLI...

View attachment 221249

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

(in shot: Corsair case, CPU cooler, PSU and RAM; Gigabyte motherboard and graphics card. Guess you could say I like Corsair and Gigabyte stuff :lol:)

Rather annoyingly, I can't for the life of me find the two expansion slot covers that I had to remove for SLI...

Nice!

I installed the H55 recently and it's great.

Installed a Corsair Hydro H55. A birthday present from my Vic. :)

View attachment 202488

Have you all seen this? I thought the Raspberry Pi, Arduino Yun, Papilio Duo and BeagleBone Black were all quite impressive but this? This is something completely else. I'm totally getting one, even if I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I'd quite like a Galileo too, but... Eh.

Have you all seen this? I thought the Raspberry Pi, Arduino Yun, Papilio Duo and BeagleBone Black were all quite impressive but this? This is something completely else. I'm totally getting one, even if I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I'd quite like a Galileo too, but... Eh.
Why am I suspecting I'll be getting one of these as soon as they're widely available? The Galileo and Yun are intriguing but don't really tempt me, the BeagleBone Black likely would have ended up in my hands eventually, but this thing looks really nifty. So do the addon boards for it on SparkFun's site.

Meh, it's only money.

@BobK You may be interested in this follow up hands-on (ish) post. I still don't really know what I'd do with one but that didn't stop me buying a Raspberry Pi.
Indeed. Thanks for that link. While I'm not about to send SparkFun or anybody a pre-order, I will be trying to keep an eye on developments and what's available for the Edison. Didn't know it ran on 1.8v btw; that has all kinds of implications. Gonna need handfuls of transistors, level shifters, or something, I think.

Bought an ASUS Transformer Book. Should be better suited for University rather than my lumbering 17 inch HP Laptop.

10665945_688670924544242_3143271767126749864_n.jpg

10698526_688670934544241_4676288894348319352_n.jpg

Replaced 4 capacitors on my motherboard. Now I can draw more power to the motherboard, so that I can do things like surf GTPlanet. :lol: I meant play Assetto Corsa (although more power is only gonna help so that my computer doesn't implode doing 3 quintillion things at one time)

I think I screwed up my computer today, and I don't know if I can fix it. I tried to load a Linux live DVD (before I used USB, but now I had to use DVD) and once in, when things were unresponsive, I decided to hard shut it down. When I tried to go back to Windows, things got ugly. It goes through the "Starting Windows" screen okay, but then it just reboots. Apparently a file named memtest.exe is missing or corrupted, and that can't be good. And the Recovery Environment seems to be a non-option directly from the computer or from disk, as it will get to the screen with a functioning cursor, but nothing shows up. It's just a black screen. I tried booting from the Linux DVD, but that didn't seem to load either now, and that's my best option for recovery, as I could read the Windows file system and hopefully retrieve the files I want to salvage. Looks like I'm screwed. However, a user on this site named Extaticus (or however he likes time capitalize it) told me of SATA-USB adapters, which could apparently let me use an HDD like a USB mass storage device, assuming the data isn't corrupted. And that would help greatly and not be too hard, as I have seen my dad take apart the same laptop model I have. Coincidentally, this happened on the same day my dad and I started to work out a "new computer" plan. Said plan involves me taking his year old (non-touchscreen) Windows 8 laptop, and him getting a tablet. His idea, not mine. And wow, I typed a lot of text. Typing on a phone takes a lot more time than a keyboard.

Bought an ASUS Transformer Book. Should be better suited for University rather than my lumbering 17 inch HP Laptop.

10665945_688670924544242_3143271767126749864_n.jpg

10698526_688670934544241_4676288894348319352_n.jpg
Damn it, My parents are getting me an Asus Transformer as well! The TP500L as it's.. cheaper than the TP300L at the MS store (where I can get a student discount as well)

It's not something I've done (yet), but Nvidia announced the GTX 980 and 970 yesterday or this morning or something. I have no idea when it was. Is now the time to upgrade from my 680? I think it could be, but I suppose I should wait for reviews before I try to decide which I should choose.

Well, as I've stated before, I was being bought the Asus TP500L Lablet and, well..

It came:
0UHp847.jpg

Js99GTp.jpg

waXwwvP.jpg

7aNjsSa.jpg

Gv19UnA.jpg

One thing i've already noticed is that it's really really easy to get smudges on this thing. Holy crap. :lol:

Well, the laptop transition is complete. Kind of. My dad got a tablet (specifically a Galaxy Note) as planned, and gave me his year old Windows 8 laptop, including a wireless mouse and keyboard that he got separately. I'm not complaining. And only now do I tell my dad that I fried my old laptop. Though I consider 4 years to be a good life. I'm not done yet, though. I'm not declaring my old laptop a total loss until I try and recover the data that I want off it. I just need a USB to SATA adapter. And my dad said that I could use that laptop to do weird stuff on, but then I tell him. That was not a great idea. For now, the old laptop is in limbo. Or it may just be dead. I'm gonna try and recover the data first. I'll have to see how this goes. Now to learn my way around Windows 8. I don't really care that I don't have a touchscreen. I did at first, but now I don't really care. Maybe once I get my hands on one of those adapters, it'll be possible to wipe the drive and start all over again.

After nearly six months owning my current PC, I finally installed my multipurpose printer to my PC. The ink cartridges have to be years old, but I still mostly use my printer for scanning. It was a bit of a hassle trying to find device drivers so my PC could use them. I was able to download a set of device drivers and can now use my printer/scanner at my own command.

Ran into the first true problem with my rig after 22 months of ownership :indiff: One of the RAM sticks went bad so the system wouldn't boot into Windows. Tried resetting the CMOS and all that, didn't work. So I just had to do some trial and error to find the faulty RAM stick... Quite the hassle, given that my CPU fan sits right atop the RAM slots. Oh well, guess I can consider myself lucky that it wasn't something more important that broke. And thank good for the Dr. Debug thingy on Asrock's mobos, dunno whether I would've checked the RAM that early on, otherwise.

The failed boot attempts also ruined my Windows installation, had to do an entirely clean install.

Now, let's see whether I can get the RAM stick replaced. It's still under warranty, so I'm inclined to believe that that's going to be easy.

Had to reinstall windows.
As for some reason I got random BSOD and after rebooting files that were not even being used at the time disappeared.

When my entire TF2 folder disappears and I finish an annoying day at work, you know I will get mad
Started yesterday arvo, still going with installing things.

Currently I'm trying to install FL studios to make some house music. But the Problem is that when I install the FL Studios, it requires a serial key... I don't understand why some editing programs have to require an serial key! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Currently I'm trying to install FL studios to make some house music. But the Problem is that when I install the FL Studios, it requires a serial key... I don't understand why some editing programs have to require an serial key! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
*sigh* because it's not free

Back