What is with the online intolerance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SavageEvil
  • 126 comments
  • 7,960 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
1,689
United States
NY
Messages
SavageEvil
I play GT5 online with a dedicated friend, he usually sets up a room and run Super GT races. What I have come across is that for no real reason when waiting for people to join up to max out the room you would get someone coming in with anti American speak, to be honest it's usually the European brethren spouting it. What I really want to know is, what is that really about? It's like for some reason everyone else in Europe thinks that all Americans are crap talkers and idiots. "stupid American" or something similar, I'm not American by birth but I take offense because it's completely uncalled for, I was sure that by now people would at least be tolerant when playing a game. It's not even limited to GT5, I have heard the same crap on FM3. It's worse from some of the British folk for whatever reason. Is there some bad blood between these countries?

I understand light joshing and trash talk as much as the next guy, but just generalizing an entire nation? America is like the new "in" thing to hate, even some Canadians online will spout some stuff. Wondering is there are just too many prepubescent children with filthy mouths online in the US.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I even asked the guy spouting the garbage, was that really called for? No response, so I said take it to the track. I don't know what America did to you, but if you have problems with it, how about you air them here and not spout things online during people's enjoyment time and create a heavy atmosphere.
 
Last edited:
sadly most online games have this problem :(
 
The world has this problem, the gt5 online community isn't going to escape it.
 
mic off 100% of the time for me and one BIG reason I almost never join other server.
 
It probably has a lot to do with what George W. Bush did when he was in office. I don't think you really heard all the "stupid American" garbage until he was President. Obama doesn't help either...
 
I understand light joshing and trash talk as much as the next guy, but just generalizing an entire nation?


It's worse from the British folk for whatever reason. Is there some bad blood between these countries?

Ironic that you dont like generalizing an entire nation just after you generalize the British as all being Anti America. :sly:
 
I think they need to grow up. No matter what may happen politically between nations does not always reflect the character of its people. They should realize that good people come from every country regardless of what their governments may have done, and just let it go when enjoying a hobby.

Ironic that you dont like generalizing an entire nation just after you generalize the British as all being Anti America. :sly:

He actually was stating that most of the joshing he receives is from British folk, not "all British folk are anti-American". Just to clear it up for you.
 
I don't know, maybe it's something to do with the fact that Americans think they have the only democracy in the world, or that, no matter how bad their mortality stats are, they have the best health care system in the world, or that their education system is the world's finest, despite some third world countries placing better, or maybe it's just due to the fact that they precipitated two wars of aggression recently....

Naaaaaahhhhh.... Couldn't POSSIBLY be anything to do with those, could it..?:rolleyes:

People hate Americans because they are the BEST at everything, aren't they? They are just jealous. Pay no attention to the facts. Listen to Fox News and all your fears will go away (to be replaced by the fears they WANT you to have!).

America ROCKS! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
 
Also for those who aren't aware you are able to mute individuals.
 
I just spit soda all over my screen.
 
He actually was stating that most of the joshing he receives is from British folk, not "all British folk are anti-American". Just to clear it up for you.

I did get that distinction thank you. But it's still a generalization of the British on his part.
 
People hate america cause we were the microsoft of the world with a long run of luck, people hate that we helped saved them and stationed troops to protect them for decades.

Well they call us arrogant but there is just as much arrogance out of many eu people i have seen. Humans in general are highly arrogant, america did not corner the market and patent arrogance.

Have had many friends from all over europe over the years but last 10 years or so it has gotten progressively worse out there with some games just unplayable with the pure anti american bashing and spoting every half baked conspiracy theory out of 9/11 like it was fact, and accusing us of murdering innocent people for oil and all sorts of pure and utter nonsense.

I feel i have every right to bash our country for its faults but it get really old when half the foreigners you meet think they have the right to slam your nation just because it is called "america."
 
I've noticed this too...I've had Canadians that were French just constantly call me and others "stupid American" and far worse names. Pretty sad. I don't go around saying "stupid Brit, Canadian, etc". I don't really mind though, I don't really care for the state of this country anymore. I won't get into that though, don't hate it's just my opinion.
 
its like comments on you tube...

Even if its a comedy video, a cooking class, a guy getting slap in the face in slow motion or a guy showing how to play the twilight song on piano the comments are always end up talking about racism and any other kind of BS
 
I've noticed this too...I've had Canadians that were French just constantly call me and others "stupid American" and far worse names. Pretty sad. I don't go around saying "stupid Brit, Canadian, etc". I don't really mind though, I don't really care for the state of this country anymore. I won't get into that though, don't hate it's just my opinion.

I'm a french canadian and I never do that haha :dunce:
 
Darn that never happens to me! I would love to be able to respond with some back. I just don't want to start it. But my dad had some great stuff about other countries when I was growing up. Not that I believe what he said was true but it would make for some good comeback material in an Anti American debate.

BTW as someone else stated just because our government thinks something doesn't meen we all agree. I'm personally waiting for the revolution here. I'll join it, just don't have time to start it. Lol
 
I play GT5 online with a dedicated friend, he usually sets up a room and run Super GT races. What I have come across is that for no real reason when waiting for people to join up to max out the room you would get someone coming in with anti American speak, to be honest it's usually the European brethren spouting it. What I really want to know is, what is that really about? It's like for some reason everyone else in Europe thinks that all Americans are crap talkers and idiots. "stupid American" or something similar, I'm not American by birth but I take offense because it's completely uncalled for, I was sure that by now people would at least be tolerant when playing a game. It's not even limited to GT5, I have heard the same crap on FM3. It's worse from the British folk for whatever reason. Is there some bad blood between these countries?

I understand light joshing and trash talk as much as the next guy, but just generalizing an entire nation? America is like the new "in" thing to hate, even some Canadians online will spout some stuff. Wondering is there are just too many prepubescent children with filthy mouths online in the US.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I even asked the guy spouting the garbage, was that really called for? No response, so I said take it to the track. I don't know what America did to you, but if you have problems with it, how about you air them here and not spout things online during people's enjoyment time and create a heavy atmosphere.

yeah, welcome to the anonymity of the internet! If people acted like that in reallife (trash talking, punting, ramming, etc.) they know they would get punched in the face in 1 second flat!
 
Dude, this problem has been around from the very first online games with mics. I remember playing Battlefield 2 on the PS2 for the first time and being shocked by the sheer volume of verbal abuse people were hurling at each other.

I was even more shocked when, after playing it every day for months on end, the level of verbal abuse had not ceased. It was constant, relentless and never ending.

Even now, years later, playing online games with mics it is still happening.

There is no way to stop it, I don't think it will ever end and, no offence, it's pointless making a fuss about it as this has been featured on the National news in England where there was a debate, live on air about it, and it made no difference at all.

Simply, if you don't like it, then just switch off your mic or put it on mute, either don't listen or don't complain, because this is going to stay with onlne gaming for a very very long time and no one can stop it.

There will always be people like this, no matter what moral arguement you come up with, there will always be trash talk on open mic online gaming. It's the way it always has been, is and always will be.
 
I don't think we're allowed to talk politics here.
 
Dude, this problem has been around from the very first online games with mics. I remember playing Battlefield 2 on the PS2 for the first time and being shocked by the sheer volume of verbal abuse people were hurling at each other.

I was even more shocked when, after playing it every day for months on end, the level of verbal abuse had not ceased. It was constant, relentless and never ending.

Even now, years later, playing online games with mics it is still happening.

There is no way to stop it, I don't think it will ever end and, no offence, it's pointless making a fuss about it as this has been featured on the National news in England where there was a debate, live on air about it, and it made no difference at all.

Simply, if you don't like it, then just switch off your mic or put it on mute, either don't listen or don't complain, because this is going to stay with onlne gaming for a very very long time and no one can stop it.

There will always be people like this, no matter what moral arguement you come up with, there will always be trash talk on open mic online gaming. It's the way it always has been, is and always will be.

I totally agree with you. I always leave the mic connected to the ps3 so I don't hear the voices on my TV. I only use it when I'm with friends and I mute everyone else.

OH, also, who had the super idea to let people tune their voice ??
 
Stupidity is everywhere.
It's seems to me as if people in general are becoming more and more selfish, with no consideration for other peoples feelings. Then they claim freedom of speech if you say anything back.
Freedom of speech does not allow you to act like an idiot
 
I did get that distinction thank you. But it's still a generalization of the British on his part.

I didn't say all the British, I meant that when it came from one of them it seemed like an attack of sorts. I will change that to some to clearer.

Oh the room I stay in doesn't have the mics on, so people are actually typing this stuff out.

I get that there are arrogant people in every society, but why does it seem like if you are American, you have a target on your back. Automatically you are seen a stupid, a blight or something worse.

I don't get it, who cares who's country has the biggest E-phallus, I'm actually concerned with having a fun time online and it's usually marred with at least one person who seems to have an issue with the fact that the little flag above my name has stars and stripes on it. To think that this generation with all our technology and connective socializing still seem to fall into the same trap our forefathers did. Technology just seems to make this stuff worse, now all the cowards(the ones who start riots from a safe place) have an easier way to spout their closed minded, short sighted intolerant speak without of fear of consequence.

On the flip side of things though, I have come across quite a few who care not what country my flag says I'm currently residing, only purpose is to have enjoyable races. To that credit, nightly races of 10+ racers in GT 500 cars running 15-20 lap races. Last night this Japanese guy took the checkered in a hard fought race, no crap talk at all from anyone. Bumping and stuff yields no ill will when we race. So as not to think I'm just complaining and have nothing positive to report.



Dude, this problem has been around from the very first online games with mics. I remember playing Battlefield 2 on the PS2 for the first time and being shocked by the sheer volume of verbal abuse people were hurling at each other.

I was even more shocked when, after playing it every day for months on end, the level of verbal abuse had not ceased. It was constant, relentless and never ending.

Even now, years later, playing online games with mics it is still happening.

There is no way to stop it, I don't think it will ever end and, no offence, it's pointless making a fuss about it as this has been featured on the National news in England where there was a debate, live on air about it, and it made no difference at all.

Simply, if you don't like it, then just switch off your mic or put it on mute, either don't listen or don't complain, because this is going to stay with onlne gaming for a very very long time and no one can stop it.

There will always be people like this, no matter what moral arguement you come up with, there will always be trash talk on open mic online gaming. It's the way it always has been, is and always will be.

Is that how you think we should go about things? Perhaps it's better to pretend it doesn't exist? I think it's better to educate children from the outset to be tolerant of others regardless of whether they agree with their opinions or not. You are free to speak, but when your speech hurts others aren't you infringing upon someone else rights? The reason notching changes is because people choose not to do anything about it, "it's not my problem" is the usual response to things which ail our society as a whole. As gamers we shouldn't just let our hobby becoming the same strife and hate filled mess everywhere else is. Take GTP for example, look how it is run...you see the mod here look at everyone the same and attempt to be unbiased as possible with their decisions. Online we need to protect our entertainment the same way, I don't want to avoid online because people have varying views. I just find that people need to understand that every thing you think up in your head needs not be spoken.
 
Last edited:
Maybe they couldn't beat the Nascar challenge so they are calling you names.
 
I totally agree with you. I always leave the mic connected to the ps3 so I don't hear the voices on my TV. I only use it when I'm with friends and I mute everyone else.

OH, also, who had the super idea to let people tune their voice ??

I hate that I have to buy a mic to do that. I really have no interest in chatting much, but one thing that turned me off from Red Dead Redemption as that you couldn't "Mute All" like in some other games, so I had to listen to stupid kids spout off the n-word, or other racial slurs and stuff like that non stop, all in glorious 5.1 surround sound :rolleyes:
 
add me savageEvil my psn is GTP user name, im fair and well mannered lol.
 
I hate that I have to buy a mic to do that. I really have no interest in chatting much, but one thing that turned me off from Red Dead Redemption as that you couldn't "Mute All" like in some other games, so I had to listen to stupid kids spout off the n-word, or other racial slurs and stuff like that non stop, all in glorious 5.1 surround sound :rolleyes:

Buy the ps2 mic, its really cheap on ebay.
 
Could have something to do with war and oil? May be...

VIDEO EMBEDDING DISABLED DUE TO F-BOMB. Language Warning.

But we Germans have to thank you America! Since Bush you are the bad guys ;)

To OP:
Don´t take it personal its the Internet! No one hates you, we only hate Americans.. JK
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a guy effing and beeing at me because i traded for an X2010 and hadn't earned it like he was going to do and how i was a stupid loser like all the hackers on Cod. To make matters worse there was a kid in the room who sounded about 10 and this guy was still swearing in front of him.

I like Americans in the rooms. Often they are really funny.
 
Buy the ps2 mic, its really cheap on ebay.

LOL I gave one of those away with my copy of SOCOM for PS2 not even realizing... Oh well.

I do have an old BT headset but I could never get it to work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back