What is with the online intolerance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SavageEvil
  • 126 comments
  • 7,960 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
mic off 100% of the time for me and one BIG reason I almost never join other server.

I want a settings that auto muted everyone when I join a server...
*Gasp* I hate the greeting messages but I found a good use for it now!
I'll just make it say that I have muted you so don't even try to use your Ack ahum badum aschmed languages on me".
Or simply, "I mute on arrival, don't talk to me."
 
While idiocy is everywhere, most stereotypes are grounded in some truth. Hop online, listen to an alarming number Americans on their mics, and watch their tactics on the track. I'm inclined to believe that, for the most part, we're about as smart as a box of rocks. There are always exceptions, of course, but they're not as vocal or memorable as that "holy crap that is one dumb jackhole" guy.
 
Yea it happens both ways. Im English and get called some stuff by Americans, French and other parts of the world. In some sports it was also a problem too. In cricket they actually gave it a name. Sledging. Since the advent of stump mic's though they have had to clamp down on it becuase the viewers were not impressed!

For a lot of people it is just banter and part of the game and they give back what they take. However I have known it backfire. A "freind" of mine was into it with an American Kid and it got to the Mother stage of the game...Im sure you know what I mean. Only problem was it turns out the Kids Mom had died a week earlier in a car crash. Kid gets really upset and gets Dad Involved. Cut a long story short "Freind" is banned from Xbox live!

Ive not read the User agreement for PS3 all the way through (who has) but im sure its in there about not been abusive towards others.
 
Its generally Americans started crap with British on CoD and then cos we dont take anything well we just went all out and hate on Yanks in everything... Or at least thats my experience, I personally have no problem with Americans, and I love America.

Also its mostly scousers, not just all British people.
 
Im getting really pissed off with the amount of people who drive any car and just do nothing but ram, cheat, cut chicanes or drive backwards on purpose. I've had LOADS of races ruined where ive been the quickest drive on a level playing field, but what happens at the 1st turn? They all go charging in without breaks hoping to bounce of the walls, either that or on reverse grids there is the one tw*t who wrecks your race by shoving EVERYONE off the track... I DO NOT MEAN TO CAUSE OFFENCE AT ALL but all the morons who exercise this kind of behavior seem to be from Italy, Spain, Finland and Saudi Arabia... no one bothers to report and no one bothers to kick anyone from the rooms, and if you try to start a race clearly stating only certain cars allowed, they decide to bring their stupid Veyrons, FGT's and X1s... PD need to put measures in place to prevent this stupidity.
 
It's not online intolerance, it's intolerance online.

These bummers are everywhere, online gaming just gives them the opportunity to meet and people they would never ordinarily come across. Unfortunately the majority use this opportunity to unload every stereotypical insult that they can muster. Your best bet really is just to ignore them. As a Brit myself I would go so far as to say that we don't draw the line at slating other nations, we go s far as to take it to county level. No-one is safe.

Anyway, I'm off to find a French server, they're better because they all give up half way through. ;)
 
Smoothherb

They hate us because we build some bad a$$ fighter planes?
 
Im getting really pissed off with the amount of people who drive any car and just do nothing but ram, cheat, cut chicanes or drive backwards on purpose. I've had LOADS of races ruined where ive been the quickest drive on a level playing field, but what happens at the 1st turn? They all go charging in without breaks hoping to bounce of the walls, either that or on reverse grids there is the one tw*t who wrecks your race by shoving EVERYONE off the track... I DO NOT MEAN TO CAUSE OFFENCE AT ALL but all the morons who exercise this kind of behavior seem to be from Italy, Spain, Finland and Saudi Arabia... no one bothers to report and no one bothers to kick anyone from the rooms, and if you try to start a race clearly stating only certain cars allowed, they decide to bring their stupid Veyrons, FGT's and X1s... PD need to put measures in place to prevent this stupidity.

I see this too. I often join rooms with a lesser car and try to beat the opposition. Promlem is that if I start doing well I get kicked? I f I rejoin the room and ask why they state the reason as me not driving the right car.

The other thing I get I join a room and pick what looks like a competetive car. Do a bit of practice till the race starts and half the grid have the original cars and half have Zonda race cars or X1's.

Its true more needs to be done with the options setting out which cars are allowed in races. Hopefully this will come with a future update. Ive Joined GBRC where like minded players try to stick to their own set of rules!
 
I was online the other night (NASCAR) and there was this guy (American) that was swearing at all of us Canadians, he was obviously an immature individual.

It's immature people that hate other ethnicity's, I would not single out European's.
 
People hate america cause we were the microsoft of the world with a long run of luck, people hate that we helped saved them and stationed troops to protect them for decades.

Well they call us arrogant but there is just as much arrogance out of many eu people i have seen. Humans in general are highly arrogant, america did not corner the market and patent arrogance.

Have had many friends from all over europe over the years but last 10 years or so it has gotten progressively worse out there with some games just unplayable with the pure anti american bashing and spoting every half baked conspiracy theory out of 9/11 like it was fact, and accusing us of murdering innocent people for oil and all sorts of pure and utter nonsense.

I feel i have every right to bash our country for its faults but it get really old when half the foreigners you meet think they have the right to slam your nation just because it is called "america."

lawl....
 
It really is a terrible thing. And it's not just toward people from other countries. It's towards each other. Now for some reason, my voice has an almost "nerdish" tone online. I know this isn't the case with good quality microphones because I had it amplified for something at school. As soon as I OPEN my mouth, people start to chuck slurs. You have 25 year olds acting like they're 4, and you have 12 years old trying to act 21. It's one of the most obnoxious things I have ever encountered.


tl;dr
Douchebags will be douchebags. After all, it's a competition to see who has the biggest e-penis.
 
I'll go totally jingoistic and yank their chains sometimes, but usually it's best to not feed the trolls, with mics or just on keyboards. Sometimes, it can be fun, though. :D
 
Play against the Japanese, they don't chit chat much or don't trash talk
 
Just thought I'd add my two cents. Please note that any references to 'you' are typically aimed towards people who flame in any way in online games, NOT towards anyone in this forum.

Someone (I won't bother quoting...just too lazy at the moment) said that people hate Americans because we think that we're the best at everything. This is actually a very plausible and thought-provoking way of thinking about the issue. As an American, I can tell you that a lot of us do think that we're #1. I also think that those who hold this fact against all Americans are ignorant of those people who are aware that there are things that can be changed for the better in this country. Either side of the issue here is wrong, in my opinion.

The statement that Americans tend to trash talk a lot also makes plenty of sense. For the most part, anyone that I don't know that I play online with that has a mic either says nothing or says nothing intelligible, and as far as I can tell over 90% of those people are Americans. While I imagine that Americans may very well be worse than citizens of other countries in this regard, that's still not a good reason to go mouthing off to us. You very well may have found an exception to the rule.

Fortunately, there is a way to at least curtail the issues that we see online. Sony has an extremely easy to use report form for those who violate the TOS. Feel free to use it for these incidents, as using foul language or derogatory comments IS a violation, last I checked. Don't hold back, either. I'd use a triple pronged attack: report the user to Sony, send a message explaining that they have been reported, and block them from your friends list. I've done that with a team-killer in Modern Warfare 2; not only was it quite satisfying, but it gives you the feeling that you've made the online world a slightly better place.

Being somewhat anonymous online is a great thing. Without anonymity, I probably wouldn't be writing this or playing GT5 online, as I value my privacy. The only way to get rid of abusers of this technology is to make their lives harder through reporting. (And, as always, NEVER feed the trolls!)
 
@h2g2guy
Were the hell can you report people online? It would be great if we could report cheaters and others but is there really a way?
 
Is that how you think we should go about things? Perhaps it's better to pretend it doesn't exist? I think it's better to educate children from the outset to be tolerant of others regardless of whether they agree with their opinions or not. You are free to speak, but when your speech hurts others aren't you infringing upon someone else rights? The reason notching changes is because people choose not to do anything about it, "it's not my problem" is the usual response to things which ail our society as a whole. As gamers we shouldn't just let our hobby becoming the same strife and hate filled mess everywhere else is. Take GTP for example, look how it is run...you see the mod here look at everyone the same and attempt to be unbiased as possible with their decisions. Online we need to protect our entertainment the same way, I don't want to avoid online because people have varying views. I just find that people need to understand that every thing you think up in your head needs not be spoken.

OK, so you're going to change every bad thing that is happening in the world, ever, in every country and every person - good luck. 👍

I'm a realist, the point my post was making was that something like this is unstoppable, why fight it, it's impossible to fight against, impossible to 'police' and enforce good language to be used by all. You can teach as many kids as you want to be respectful, but for every kid you teach good manners to, there will be a thousand times more who don't have manners. That's the world we live in and neither you, me or any other single person will ever change that.
 
People hate america cause we were the microsoft of the world with a long run of luck, people hate that we helped saved them and stationed troops to protect them for decades.

Well they call us arrogant but there is just as much arrogance out of many eu people i have seen. Humans in general are highly arrogant, america did not corner the market and patent arrogance.

Have had many friends from all over europe over the years but last 10 years or so it has gotten progressively worse out there with some games just unplayable with the pure anti american bashing and spoting every half baked conspiracy theory out of 9/11 like it was fact, and accusing us of murdering innocent people for oil and all sorts of pure and utter nonsense.

I feel i have every right to bash our country for its faults but it get really old when half the foreigners you meet think they have the right to slam your nation just because it is called "america."

I mistook you for GeneralMLD for a second....people slam America because of the sheer ignorance of some people within America, they constantly get Arabs and Indians mixed up (TRUST ME, making that mistake would prove FATAL in a lot of area of the UK alone, Indians HATE Arabs), they go into other countries and expect everyone to be living the same way as them, they're constantly scared of change and have this ******** mentality that they single handedly won both world wars... USA was barely involved in WWI and WWII Britain did the bulk of the work whilst USA decided to trigger a war with Japan. <<< I am not generalizing ALL Americans as being like this, im just giving an example of the worst, and its an unfortunate shame that the media in many parts of the world only seem to show the worst parts of America... although I have to say, having been there, Middle America is the biggest dump full of racist tw*ts ive ever seen.

In all honesty I'd have to say that America is by far the most racist country on earth.
 
I think there were a lot of events in the last years, that cast a bad light at the American government and the society. After all those years of self righteousness and finger-pointing at other countries, your people now feel some kind of kickback.

The Internet becomes also more and more aggressive because everyone can act like an 🤬 without any consequences.
 
I hate the haters. I have Black friends, I have white friends, I have friends in the UK, I have friends in Germany, I have friends in Canada, I have friends in USA, I even have friends in Australia (difficult to play with Aussies due to internet issues.) Not all of my friends will get along with each other (and some violently hate each other.) So it's sad when I'm in a room with my UK friends and some Jerk starts going off like "Stupid Brit, Ugly, crooked-tooth, fog breathing Englishman." Then crap like "'Ello Govna' would you like some tea and crumpets?" It makes me ashamed to be an American. But then there's the opposite. Some jerks from across the pond start up the "Hey you obese, lazy, bleeding yank!" Then they usually go into some stuff in local slang and an accent I can't even make out. (that's the funny part though)

Then there's thug talking like the ghetto is the best place to live and you aren't a man unless you shot someone today, all the while some 8 year old is dropping the "N" word like Dr. Dre.

I don't need to explain why I almost never use a mic... 'cause I kinda just did.
 
individuals have problem with individuals and then slag off at whatever flag they are displaying. With this game there is a lag problem with people who are a long way a way and you get glitch bumps which cause arguments.
 
It's worse from some of the British folk for whatever reason. Is there some bad blood between these countries?

I live in Britain and I am not at all surprised with this, the general British public are just so damn stupid its unbelievable, they fail to accept changes of the times and hate anything and anyone that doesn't fall into their so called 'britishness', they complain about foreignors taking all their jobs when all they do is sit on their bums all day watching Jeremy Kyle and claiming benifits from the government, while the so called 'non-british' work hard to EARN the jobs they complain they're not getting.
 
i see that a lot of people say "even" canadians are in on it. why not?! we know you americans better than anyone.

but seriously folks, dont hate, appreciate.
 
i see that a lot of people say "even" canadians are in on it. why not?! we know you americans better than anyone.

but seriously folks, dont hate, appreciate.

A lot of Canadians seem to have an... I dunno, I guess you'd say insecurity/inferiority complex and overcompensate for it on the interwebs. I'd still say it's a minority, though.

But I like most Canadians almost as much as the Aussies. Except maybe the Quebecers. jk. They're ok, too. :D
 
they're just jealous because we got nascar, fox news and glenn beck.
 
Maybe we should just realise that a few idiots in any country do not speak on behalf of the general population. There are some weirdos out there, so PSN is bound to attract a few!

Peace and love!
 
they're just jealous because we got nascar, fox news and glenn beck.

You can't be serious... If you're being sarcastic I'll love you forever.

I live in Britain and I am not at all surprised with this, the general British public are just so damn stupid its unbelievable, they fail to accept changes of the times and hate anything and anyone that doesn't fall into their so called 'britishness', they complain about foreignors taking all their jobs when all they do is sit on their bums all day watching Jeremy Kyle and claiming benifits from the government, while the so called 'non-british' work hard to EARN the jobs they complain they're not getting.

That sounds a lot like what's going on in the US with people complaining about illegal Mexican immigrants.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back