What is your B.M.I?

• Thread starter GT Pro
  • 113 comments

What is your Body Mass Index?

• Total voters
Australia
Melbourne
GTPr01 (GT); TheGTAFather (GTA)
I recently came to find that my BMI is a very low 18.5 (60kg, 180cm), not bad but not good either as far as averages go. What is the average across GTP?

::What is a BMI?::

Wikipedia
The body mass index (BMI), or Quetelet index, is a statistical measurement which compares a person's weight and height. Though it does not actually measure the percentage of body fat, it is a useful tool to estimate a healthy body weight based on how tall a person is. Due to its ease of measurement and calculation, it is the most widely used diagnostic tool to identify obesity problems within a population. However it is not considered appropriate to use as a final indication for diagnosing individuals. It was invented between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics"
Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of their height. The formulas universally used in medicine produce a unit of measure of kg/m2:
SI units
f008d4097fdb77b5f55e053a2477184c.png

US units
78b011fe4c047c2ebf41f90001df36ba.png
bb3377c57dfa5eb309d6709c742ef2c8.png

Taking the resulting value, refer to the following categorised table:

Famipedia

Though it's often sub-divided:
<16.5 = Severely underweight
16.5 - 18.5 = Underweight
18.5 - 25.0 = Normal
25.0 - 30.0 = Overweight
30.0 - 40.0 = Obese
40.0 - 45.0 = Severely obese
45.0 - 50.0 = Morbidly obese
50.0 - 60.0 = Super obese
>60.0 = Hyper obese

Share your results.

Last edited:
It might be a good idea to have a poll, but also to explain how to calculate BMI.

BMI is weight (kg) divided by the square of height (m). In GT Pro's case he is 60kg and 1.8m -

= 60/(1.8 * 1.8)
= 60/3.24
= 18.52

I'm 78kg and 1.78m tall
= 78/(1.78 * 1.78)
= 78/3.17
= 24.62

Typical ranges for BMI are
<18.5 = Underweight
18.5 - 25.0 = Normal Range (so your 18.52 isn't "very low" at all...)
25.0 - 30.0 = Overweight
>30.0 = Obese

Though it's often sub-divided:
<16.5 = Severely underweight
16.5 - 18.5 = Underweight
18.5 - 25.0 = Normal
25.0 - 30.0 = Overweight
30.0 - 40.0 = Obese
40.0 - 45.0 = Severely obese
45.0 - 50.0 = Morbidly obese
50.0 - 60.0 = Super obese
>60.0 = Hyper obese

I'd suggest the latter as poll categories.

It should be noted that you can be wholly healthy and well into the 30s, as BMI doesn't take into account fat/muscle ratios. Some sportsmen - rugby players, notably - can generate high BMIs by dint of having high muscle mass and less than 5% body fat.

I haven't weighed myself for a while and I don't know my exact height either, but I am always between 12 and 13 stone, and I think I am atleast 5' 9", possibly 5' 10", therefore my BMI is 25.4 ± 1.4...

Thanks for the info Famine. However, I am aware only Moderators and others of like status here on GTP can construct a poll once the thread has been created. If there is a way that indeed I can personally make one, then by all means I would love to know. Otherwise, it would be appreciated if someone could place up a poll consisting of Famine's latter categories. 👍

Not sure about my exactly height, but I'm about 168cm tall and 59kg. Which gives me 20.5, I'm not fat all, people often say I'm too skinny yet I weigh that much.

I think you can add a poll if you edit your first post.

Only moderators can adjust a poll after it has been created.

As of Monday, I'm in a bit of a friendly competition with my wife to lose 10% of our body weight by our anniversary (which would put me between 175-180 (which still leaves me in the Overweight category, but as Famine said, it doesn't take into account muscle)). Compound in I have a seminar to go to with some co-workers at the end of the month and something was said about a water park... let's just say I have a little more motivation now. :P

Okay, I've added a poll for you, through some nefarious means which are not exactly clear to me...

i know my height, but I haven't seen a scale in ages.

my average, however I think I can figure out.

going by my last weigh in or so, somewhere around 28.

famine's correct, however, as most of these ratios do not take into account ANY muscle mass...and probably bone weight as well

23.3 for me. I personally think that weight is not the only factor to guage how healthy or fit you are...

I didn't mean for the BMI results in this thread to directly correlate to fitness, it was simply that this sub-forum was most relevant for the placing of this thread.

I know this sounds strange to some, but I just calculated mine, and came in at a BMI of30.xxx! Isn't that great! oh,ok hold on, I don't have a beer gut, but I was doing shoulder shrugs with 315 today. So maybe that explains it : ). I'm 5'8" @195, depending on how you are built this method seems very generalized.

I know this sounds strange to some, but I just calculated mine, and came in at a BMI of30.xxx! Isn't that great! oh,ok hold on, I don't have a beer gut, but I was doing shoulder shrugs with 315 today. So maybe that explains it : ). I'm 5'8" @195, depending on how you are built this method seems very generalized.

It should be noted that you can be wholly healthy and well into the 30s, as BMI doesn't take into account fat/muscle ratios. Some sportsmen - rugby players, notably - can generate high BMIs by dint of having high muscle mass and less than 5% body fat.

Also, your figures gave a 29.66 when I calculated it.

1.70m, 89Kg BMI = 30+

Not overweight though, I'm a weightlifter with a body fat percentage around 8%. (Chest 44", waist 33").

Back